Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GBModerator

Rio 2016 Logo Launch - Live Discussion

I haven't made anything up unlike you. Still haven't found me that quote I asked for I notice.

I haven't made anything up unlike you. Still haven't found me that quote I asked for I notice.

Oh excuse me, but, what the hell did I make up?

1. The fact that I said the IOC loved London's logo. I did not say that anywhere.

2. The IOC approval process for logos.

1 is certainly not true, entirely made-up on your part and weakens your argument considerably. 2 is possible but it's still speculation which fits only your interpretation of the logo and ignores other factors.

As I said before, why would an organisation as protective of their brand as the IOC approve a logo which doesn't suit their needs? Still no answer to that question from you, only a laughable suggestion that I don't know that the IOC is protective of their brand. This is easily disproved by the kind of laws hosts cities have to create; laws which many criticised as overly forceful when the UK introduced them a few years ago and have led to cases like this. The IOC are extremely protective of their brand, their name, and anything and everything associated with it. Do you really think they'd make an exception for the 2012 logo and just "let is pass"? I don't.

So, again, why would an organisation which forces arguably draconian laws regarding their brand on host nations, allow an organising committee to create a logo which doesn't suit their needs? The answer as far as I'm concerned is they simply would not.

Look, I know you want everything to be perfect when your city hosts the games, and I know how badly it hurts to have such a piece of crap for a games logo, but just face it already.....

I haven't stated my opinion on the logo once in my arguments in this thread. You're the one who is constantly letting aesthetics get in the way of your argument. I could very easily hate the logo but grudginly accept that the IOC as an organisation feels it meets their needs. That would be the logical position for you to take as well, I'd suggest.

This is easily disproved by the kind of laws hosts cities have to create; laws which many criticised as overly forceful when the UK introduced them a few years ago and have led to cases like this. The IOC are extremely protective of their brand, their name, and anything and everything associated with it. You think they'd make an exception for the 2012 logo or any other for that matter?

Just perfect... Here in Brazil this caused polemic too... Nobody can write "Rio 2016" without asking permission to IOC or Rio-OCOG, which is ridiculous, but proves RobH point and also my opinion and the opinion of many here (if not the majority).

1. The fact that I said the IOC loved London's logo. I did not say that anywhere.

2. The IOC approval process for logos.

1 is certainly not true, entirely made-up on your part and weakens your argument considerably. 2 is possible but it's still speculation which fits only your interpretation of the logo and ignores other factors.

As I said before, why would an organisation as protective of their brand as the IOC approve a logo which doesn't suit their needs? Still no answer to that question from you, only a laughable suggestion that I don't know that the IOC is protective of their brand. This is easily disproved by the kind of laws hosts cities have to create; laws which many criticised as overly forceful when the UK introduced them a few years ago and have led to cases like this. The IOC are extremely protective of their brand, their name, and anything and everything associated with it. Do you really think they'd make an exception for the 2012 logo and just "let is pass"? I don't.

So, again, why would an organisation which forces arguably draconian laws regarding their brand on host nations, allow an organising committee to create a logo which doesn't suit their needs? The answer as far as I'm concerned is they simply would not.

I haven't stated my opinion on the logo once in my arguments in this thread. You're the one who is constantly letting aesthetics get in the way of your argument. I could very easily hate the logo but grudginly accept that the IOC as an organisation feels it meets their needs. That would be the logical position for you to take as well, I'd suggest.

I'm sure there is no process for selecting a log or quidelines for logo's. RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!

As long as London's logo met all guidelines, they had no reason to reject it, and yeah it PASSED. That doesn't mean they loved it. It never will mean they loved it. "Meeting their needs" is the same thing as "Meeting Guidelines".

As long as London's logo met all guidelines, they had no reason to reject it, and yeah it PASSED. That doesn't mean they loved it. It never will mean they loved it. "Meeting their needs" is the same thing as "Meeting Guidelines".

Meeting the guidelines to me implied a rigid, quantitive process; box ticking based on entirely technical criteria.

Meeting their needs, on the other hand, imples a more subjective process. Will the sponsors be happy with it, will it work with our existing brand, will it damage our exisiting brand, is this a direction we are happy for our brand to go in etc?

A logo could easily meet a set of technical guidelines but not meet the IOC's needs.

I'm arguing that a logo which does the former but not the latter wouldn't be passed.

And again, in case you missed it the first 50,000 times I said it, I never claimed the IOC loved it. That wasn't and isn't the point I am arguing.

I think it's not simply "meet the guidelines". And if they presented something within the guidelines but that would hurt the image of the games, as something very ugly?

rio made a good job... i really enjoy and love the logo... after that horrible london 2012 and running guy of beijing 2008 its something artistic:)

I also like the Logo very much!! It isn't iconic and perhaps it has not this "timeless" character but it is quite playful and full of energy! I like it it makes me smile!!