Rio 2016 Logo Launch - Live Discussion

From Rio 2016...

The Organizing Committee for the Rio 2016 Games will be launching the Olympic Games logo on December 31st. The logo will be presented to the public at Copacabana beach, Rio de janeiro, at 10pm, opposite the Copacabana Palace hotel.

Join us for a live discussion in this thread.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/\ Uh-oh. They're calling it "emblem" rather than logo. Not a good sign. <_<

Why? What is the difference?

"The emblem combines the attributes of the Brazilian people with the Olympic values, forming a symbol that expresses our harmonious diversity, our contagious energy and the exuberant nature of our country".

Any guesses?

Ok, so in the vid they say ''Christ Redeemer'', and something about embracing the world/mixture of races, ''Sugar Loaf'' (and on the last second is featured dramaticaly...).

Maybe those are hints of what we're going to see next week.

Why? What is the difference?

"The emblem combines the attributes of the Brazilian people with the Olympic values, forming a symbol that expresses our harmonious diversity, our contagious energy and the exuberant nature of our country".

Everyone in the industry calls it "logo;" nobody uses "emblem" anymore. OK, maybe Blatter...

OK, but Beijing and Athens had also emblems, while London 2012's logo is a brand. I think Rio 2016's logo will be more similar to those of Athens or Beijing than to London's.

May god hear you. Although it grew on me a bit more than back in 2007, London logo will pass to history as the most panned and hated one ever. Rio should play it safe and do a retro style logo. I mean, it's their first olympics (and also the first South American ones) so they can't ruin this.

Personally i would like that the same guys who worked on the Rio 2007 Pan Am Games branding made the logo. That brand was perfect and fitted Rio (although the logo could have been a bit better)

Remember they said Rio 2016 logo would not be the typical Rio logo. I thought they meant there wouldn't be Christ or Sugarloaf (the Sugarloaf has always been there!), but now I'm a bit confused with the countdown video. Many people there say the logo will represent diversity and nature, but they also talk a lot about the landmarks, and you have already talked about that strange last second with the Sugarloaf...

Rio should play it safe and do a retro style logo.

I hope not.

I think the last logo which was really embraced all-round was Athens'. It was a smart design, well produced and quite beautiful both in itself and in its application. Beijing's was fairly meh (nothing to write home about), Vancouver's nicely represented the region's native culture but was a poorly executed design in my opinion, London's is the ultimate marmite logo which is really branding the event's ethos rather than the city's history, and Sochi's is purely a wordmark but one which I suspect will endure beyond the Games as the "brand" for the city (i.e. almost the complete opposite of London's logo in its intent).

I don't think Rio will really go out on a limb with its logo like London has, nor do I expect something as minimalist as Sochi's. But I hope they don't play it safe like Beijing and, to an extent, Vancouver did.

I expect and perhaps hope for a logo with a similar vibe to Athens' - a smart, symbolic design which isn't just an arty representation of a human figure or a nation's landmark.

London's bold style is born out of the reality that the games in 2012 will be different from the classical style. I think the London team know they can never rival Beijing in the old style of games presentation - in terms of the ceremonies and venues - so the 'brand' as you have described is to show that the games in London are different, new and modern. Rio doesn't need to go out on a limb like London - but I don't think it should harp back to the days of 2004 or 2008 either. Hopefully it will combine the two approaches to nice effect.

Anxious to see it!

Me too. I'm just wondering. Are they have the paraympic mascot after they unveil the olympic mascot?

I'm just wondering. Are they have the paraympic mascot after they unveil the olympic mascot?

You mean the Paralympic logo? I think only the Olympic one is being unveiled this time. Mascots... neither the Olympic nor the Paralympic one have been designed yet ;)

There are still several New Year's Eve parties in Copacabana before the Games to unveil it all:

2010/2011 >>> Olympic logo

2011/2012 >>> Paralympic logo (and they have both in time to be used in London for the handover ceremony)

2012/2013 >>> Olympic and Paralympic pictograms

2013/2014 >>> Olympic mascot

2014/2015 >>> Paralympic mascot

2015/2016 >>> Image & look (banners, flags, and all that stuff)

Mmmh... That would be nice :lol:

So does anyone know what time the logo will be revealed?

According to GBModerator:

The Organizing Committee for the Rio 2016 Games will be launching the Olympic Games logo on December 31st. The logo will be presented to the public at Copacabana beach, Rio de janeiro, at 10pm, opposite the Copacabana Palace hotel.

Remember it will be UTC-02 in Rio de Janeiro in New Year's Eve!

Athletes participate on Riop 2016 logo launching

http://doisporum.com/?p=20922

The launch of the logo of the Olympic Games 2016 to be held on December 31 on Copacabana beach, will have, besides the presentation of the brand that will be the symbol of competition in Brazil on giant screens, giant flags, which will also display the winning among the eight agencies that competed in the final straight by the choice of brand.

The goal, according to Riotur, is to make that more interaction with the public and for that, beyond the screens and banners, with brand new balls will be distributed shortly after the official announcement, to be held at 22h in the stretch the beach, opposite the Copacabana Palace.

And to make the public more in the spirit of this festival, Olympic athletes will rise from 18 h on the main stage and Riotur mounted by the city for concerts on New Year's Eve, which is also opposite the Copacabana Palace, a reminder that River and the country will be in the countdown to the presentation of the symbol of the Olympics.

The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge and the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee, Carlos Nuzman, are among those attending the launching ceremony of the logo, in Copacabana. They will be on a special platform, which will be mounted at the end of the runway to make the connection between the Copacabana Palace hotel and the area where the waterfront is one of the screens that display the logo.

Anyway, getting anxious already to see the logo...where is Wikilieaks and Assange when you need them? :lol: *shot*

Branding Manager talks about the Rio 2016 emblem

Everything is ready for the big party that will host the emblem launch of Rio 2016 Olympic Games!

The date chosen for this historical moment, December 31st, is getting close and the expectation for the grand event happening on the most famous beach in the planet, the Copacabana beach, is getting higher.

At 10 p.m., Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and the world are going to know the emblem selected to represent the first Olympic Games of Brazil and South America. The emblem will be projected in a huge screen built on the beach sand, close to the sea, where there will be some concerts cheering up the party.

The projection of the emblem will be watched by millions of people, which will be at the waterfront waiting on the traditional New Year’s Eve fireworks. The International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge, the Rio 2016 Committee President Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the Minister of Sports Orlando Silva, the state governor Sérgio Cabral and the mayor Eduardo Paes will attend the launch.

The meaning of the emblem

“The role of the emblem is to globalize the cultural aspects of the host city and host country, inspire the athletes, that are the main character of event, and all audience involved. The goal is to connect the whole world with the Olympic values of excellence, respect and friendship, give our partners the chance of creating an association with the event, but, above all, mark it as a unique event”, says Beth Lula, Manager of the Branding Department of Rio 2016 Organizing Committee. (Watch the video)

The emblem of Rio 2016 Olympic Games is consequence of a collective creation process. The concept was born of a simple but, at the same time, inspiring idea: what makes Rio de Janeiro a single city and the Olympic Games a great event are the people. That is why the emblem is essentially human, formed by an exuberant nature of a city that invites you to live with passion and delicacy, to live together and share, spreading a warm welcome feeling made of contagious joy and energy.

Rio 2016 expresses with inspiration the Olympic spirit and the athletes, the city and the Cariocas, its nature, emotions and aspirations. It knows that we were born of a mixture of reces. We like to celebrate our harmonious diversity. We wecolme, in one single embrace, all races, beliefs and ages. We like to share our sky, our sea and our happy people.

The selection process of the emblem

Along the year, 139 candidate agencies went through a careful selection process until the final selection of the agency that would be in charge of designing the look of Rio 2016 Games.

The selection of a brand of global significance required the signature of Brazilian talent and, this is why Rio 2016 Committee decided that all candidate agencies were required to have offices in Brazil.

Several hundred design professionals recognized the magnitude of this mission and took part in the bid process. By the end of several qualification stages, the proposals submitted by the eight remaining agencies were evaluated by a multidisciplinary evaluation commission, composed of 12 professionals enjoying both national and international market recognition for their experience in brand design and approval.

These eight agencies (four from Rio de Janeiro, two from São Paulo and two from Curitiba) had to face an even harder challenge. They were called for interviews and their creative designs were evaluated based on the concept of brand originality, creativity and applicability.

All the eight final bidders were issued a certificate of participation, a tribute for their contribution to the selection process.

The name of the awarded bidder will be unveiled together with the brand on December 31st. This agency will create a legacy to Brazilian design – the design of the brand for the first Olympic Games to be held in South America.

Besides the international recognition, Rio 2016 Games brand will have maximum exposure as of January 1, 2011 and along the six years to follow, and will preserved for posterity the future images of Rio 2016 Games broadcast to several billion people.

http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/Noticias/Noticia.aspx?idConteudo=1244

London's bold style is born out of the reality that the games in 2012 will be different from the classical style. I think the London team know they can never rival Beijing in the old style of games presentation - in terms of the ceremonies and venues - so the 'brand' as you have described is to show that the games in London are different, new and modern. Rio doesn't need to go out on a limb like London - but I don't think it should harp back to the days of 2004 or 2008 either. Hopefully it will combine the two approaches to nice effect.

Here, here.

The more I get used to London's, the more I do get a "vibe" about a youthful, modern games. It is starting to merge with my personal images on London now. I just hope Rio can do the same in stamping its style and feel through the logo. I'm encouraged that the terms "exhuberance" and "passion" are mentioned in the interview above ^^

... oh, and I hope it at least looks appealing!

In my view the people most suited to present the logo are Zé Pequeno and Mané Galinha, these two represent what Rio is today.

Host city of the Olympic Games and World Cup final? Host city of the United Nations Enviromental Summit 2012? The most visited destination in the Southern Hemisphere? The biggest GDP growth in more than 35 years? And lowering strongly the crime rates in the last 4 years? Indeed, after Pacification Program, Rio become the sixth most safe capital of Brazil...

Sorry, you're wrong.

Archived