Outstanding Time-Lapse Video of Preparations for 2010 at BC Place

If only the cauldron worked like on the rehearsals *sigh*

Awesome video, Alan!

If we weren't so high and giddy on our medal totals and hockey gold, I would've gotten a pitch fork and gone after David Atkins for embarrassing our city.

Anyone happen to know the actual name of the track played during the video? I ripped it using Bender Converter and put it in my 2010 playlist between track 4 (Parade of Athletes) and track 5 (Canadian Athletes). It sounds more complete now.

Anyone happen to know the actual name of the track played during the video? I ripped it using Bender Converter and put it in my 2010 playlist between track 4 (Parade of Athletes) and track 5 (Canadian Athletes). It sounds more complete now.

Parade of Athletes 2.

B)

• 4 weeks later...

I went skiing to Sun Peaks today and saw Nancy Greene up there (she's ski director there - thought she was going to be in Ottawa but I guess the senate is still on holiday break). Should've asked her what went thru her mind when that 4th leg didn't pop up and the four of them were standing there waiting for plan B.

Indeed still the most horrifying moment for me ever in an Olympic ceremony -- especially since I had just read Baron's book at that time. There he mentions the "emergency scenario" the LA 1984 opening ceremony producers had to develop after they discovered shortly before the opening ceremony that someone had fumbled with some wires below the cauldron and thus they didn't know whether the cauldron would work: They would have asked Rafer Johnson to still carry the torch up to the top of the hydraulic stairs, but then to put the torch into a hastily-made makeshift holder (made of a big cardboard roll and some golden mylar foil) and let it burn there, without ever actually activating the cauldron lighting mechanism.

And when I noticed there was something wrong during Vancouver's cauldron segment, that LA '84 scenario immediately crossed my mind and I got almost panic that the four (or rather five, including Rick Hansen) final torch bearers would have to stand there, holding their torches and to wait until they have flamed out. That would have been an even more horrible scene for the organisers (and the media would have had a field day), so I am extremely glad also in retrospective that at least they got the three other spokes of the cauldron working and were able to light some kind of cauldron anyway.

So next time, in London, I'll most certainly sit there in front of my television set (or even in the stadium?) and pray "Now, don't you malfunction, you dirty little thing!" ;) That's why I also hope that London does a stunning cauldron lighting, but none where they risk a major malfunction again.

I guess if something had happened and the other arms of the cauldron didn't operate, they could have just done what they did in the Paralympic ceremony and lit only the central cone of the cauldron. Or they would have just said the outdoor cauldron lighting was the big event.

^ They said that the torchbearers at BC Place were only a minute away from running out of gas in their torches....scary indeed.

But probably they wouldn't have waited for the torches to flame out but would have given them new burning torches. I guess that they had an emergency contingent of torches behind the scenes anyway. You don't have only five torches ready for the most important moment during the whole torch relay! ;)

And they also had the miners lamp with the Olympic Flame behind the scenes, as this video (which was just posted my hiroamorim on the ceremonies video thread) shows: