Sri Lanka to win at least 50 Gold Medals at the 2018 CWG: Cabraal

gamesSL

Hey is it true that Sri Lankan only won 1 gold medal in Delhi and it was coz of drugs. That is crazy. And they wanna win 50 gold medals. Makes me ROFLMAO.

By the way I went to the Gold Coast website and saw that their using this plcae for some sports.

GOLD COAST CONVENTION CENTRE

13.jpg

Looks cool hey!! They dont have anything like that in SriLanka do they?

^^ Well the capital Colombo DOES have a convention centre and they plan to build one in Hambantota.

As for the Gold Coast, expect the arena to be used for sure, with the convention halls perhaps serving as the Main Press Centre? Or perhaps two other indoor sports?

^^ Well the capital Colombo DOES have a convention centre and they plan to build one in Hambantota.

As for the Gold Coast, expect the arena to be used for sure, with the convention halls perhaps serving as the Main Press Centre? Or perhaps two other indoor sports?

Hmmm...well if Colombo has an existing facility similar to the GCCC why hasn't the Sri Lankans put forward the capital city as a potential bid city? After all the combination of a long term capital with a substantial history, sizable urban population and culture could have a positive influence on an underdog bid.

Ah but that's not the point if this Sti Lankans bid is it? It's all about the nepotism and cronyism related to developing a small once tsunami ravaged fishing village that is the home of the Rajapaksa clan. The Sinhalese Duce can't find any concrete facilities in his national capital to support a logical bid, instead he wants to build a new Germania-like city with Chinese cash and use the 2018 CGs like Berlin 36 validated a similar political grouping that victimized a vulnerable part of their citiizenry.

This joke bid is all about paper designs and meglomania and pay backs, whilst the Sri Lankans capital sits north of the fishing village wondering what it did to deserve the neglect of the powers that be.

If I were part of the Sri Lankan bid team and considering what city to put forward as the Commonwealth Games bid, then Colombo it would be.

I would have advocated a dedicated "Commonwealth Games Park" somewhere on the outskirts of the city as a unique feature of the bid, whilst solving the problem of road congestion by proposing a subway line (by looking at the layout of Colombo it appears to be a long stretch city from north to south), which connects the stadium, airport and the core of downtown.

Looking at Wikipedia they are already building a metro system in the city, perhaps a subway isn't needed or could supplement this.

If I were part of the Sri Lankan bid team and considering what city to put forward as the Commonwealth Games bid, then Colombo it would be.

I would have advocated a dedicated "Commonwealth Games Park" somewhere on the outskirts of the city as a unique feature of the bid, whilst solving the problem of road congestion by proposing a subway line (by looking at the layout of Colombo it appears to be a long stretch city from north to south), which connects the stadium, airport and the core of downtown.

Looking at Wikipedia they are already building a metro system in the city, perhaps a subway isn't needed or could supplement this.

Lord,its clear that Sri Lanka Commonwealth Games bid came up because of Hambantotas long term massive development plan so no need to think about other city's. government could achieve multiple goals from hosting the CWG ,like developing sports accelerating projects, attracting more investment to Hamabntota by that it would benefit the country as whole. Colombo has

its own development plans fit to its environment.

Hambanthota International Convention Centre

under construction funded by the Government of Korea as a donation

1079kdw.jpg

Lord,its clear that Sri Lanka Commonwealth Games bid came up because of Hambantotas long term massive development plan so no need to think about other city's. government could achieve multiple goals from hosting the CWG ,like developing sports accelerating projects, attracting more investment to Hamabntota by that it would benefit the country as whole. Colombo has

its own development plans fit to its environment.

Hambanthota International Convention Centre

under construction funded by the Government of Korea as a donation

1079kdw.jpg

Looks pissy compared to the Gold Coast Centre. And how come Korea is building it and paying for it? Can't Sri Lanka afford it? I thought the economy was going well. Floods, not enough food and can't find the money to pay for the buildings doesn't sound very good.

Looks pissy compared to the Gold Coast Centre. And how come Korea is building it and paying for it? Can't Sri Lanka afford it? I thought the economy was going well. Floods, not enough food and can't find the money to pay for the buildings doesn't sound very good.

:lol:

The number 1 failure of Hambantota (even if it is awarded the Games) will be its lack of liveability. You can't just build and develop stable and unique cities..they take decades and centuries to evolve.

Cities like Sydney, London, Paris, Moscow etc have developed for centuries and are now interesting, unique, cosmopolitan metropolis'. Even the Gold Coast has gone through strong stages of evolution and socio-cultural development. It has an identity.

Hambantota is simply the whipping child of multinational corporations and governments looking for some investment opportunities. This parallels strongly with cities like Doha. Hosting international events, having convention centres and developing an interesting skyline won't make Hamantota an interesting, layered place to live, work and visit. It will still be a backwater city of the world.

Here's an idea? Perhaps this should be our next fantasy comp? Sri Lanka's bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games!

Choose, Hambantota, Colombo or any other city in between, and make a "credible" bid for it!

Here's an idea? Perhaps this should be our next fantasy comp? Sri Lanka's bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games!

Choose, Hambantota, Colombo or any other city in between, and make a "credible" bid for it!

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

If anyone can do that I have a harbour bridge I can sell them too.

Such a shame that there were no bids from the likes of (for example) Nairobi, Kingston or Accra...now those bids could have been far more credible (and I suspect their supporters far more lucid). Then again we should be grateful that Hambantota wasn't up against Abuja...there would have been more fairy tales flying in that kind of thread than at a Brothers Grimm lookalike conference. :P

^^ Don't diss Abuja, after all much of it's sporting infrastructure came from hosting the 2003 African Games.

The Nigerians would just improve it's bid from 2014, get that light rail well underway, continue to propose the national exhibition centre and perhaps a main arena of like 10,000 for such sports like Gymnastics or Basketball, just to add to their bid.

Kingston, Jamaica? Well I'd like to see them bid, but the general layout of the city seems too sloppy to do any major works, however, if a subway system were proposed that linked all core venues, then maybe...

What is this place Abuja were talking about? I see on Google it is in Nigeria and bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games & lost. Never heard of it before.

Can always come back to Melbourne as we know how to put on a Commonwealth Games (and test cricket and Grand Prix and Aussie Open and Aussie Rules). :P

Abuja, capital of Nigeria. Host of the 2003 African Games. Made a decent bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games but lost to Glasgow, Scotland. Widely thought to bid for 2018 but didn't send in any application on time, in spite of known intentions to bid. It's a shame really and would be a far more credible bid than Hambantota.

What is this place Abuja were talking about? I see on Google it is in Nigeria and bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games & lost. Never heard of it before.

Can always come back to Melbourne as we know how to put on a Commonwealth Games (and test cricket and Grand Prix and Aussie Open and Aussie Rules). :P

Actually it won't come back to Melbourne, not at least for a very long time. It was held in somewhat unideal March because the MCG would be available during that month to put down the athletics track. Even if we did have a new dedicated athletics venue that could be temporarily expanded to 40,000 or so, it would still have to be the MCG due to historic reasons mostly.

I'd like to see an Olympics come back to Melbourne, but we'd probably propose October again, after the AFL season is over and we get a chance to lay out an athletics track and make the necessary modifications. It could be held during June/July/August in unideal weather (where the AFL would have to sacrifice the MCG for two months or so), or in September (where the AFL would probably need to schedule the season early and end in August).

:mellow: Agree with LD, Melbournites will probibly go 'what the?' when they would rather have the Olympics back. I've always said Australia will end up hosting the CWGs more often than not, so I believe they could end up hosting them again in 2026! That is of course Harbanchocktowridge doesn't get them in 2018, then it would be 2022. Although by then NZ would have got it together and booted Auckland's arse into bidding.

i still think that if RWC 2011 is a success then New Zealand will seriously start to go for the Commonwealth Games. The buzz surrounding this years tournament is great and people will want to host more big, realistic events in the future

:mellow: Dunno about the build up excitment thing yet...NZ is still in summer holiday mode and just happy to be over 2010. Only if NZ is successful in winning RWC11 will the nation bail up what is a pushover 'conservative' government and try for something bigger...

Would love to see the Olympics in Melbourne but I think it's not going to happen for long time. If ever. However it should happen before Hambonetota gets the commonwealth games. Everythuing about what Ive seen and read here points to the place not being where the games should go.

Sri Lanka plans to introduce new sports policy to raise standards

January 11 - Sri Lanka plans to introduce a new national sports policy designed to raise standards in the country as it bids to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games, the country's Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage (pictured) has announced.

He has vowed to turn around READ MORE

As cabraal said sri lanka has already started its work on achieving goals

Archived