Who do you think will win?

ghost1

When the working group report is revealed next year, I predict Salzburg will have obviously the best bid, Pyeongchang in second, Sofia in third, Jaca in fourth, Sochi in fifth, Almaty in sixth and Borjomi in seventh, with Salzburg, Pyeongchang, Sofia and Jaca advancing as candidate cities.

Pyeongchang and Salzburg I think will be neck in neck. It's between a nation that has never hosted the Olympics versus Austria, very picturesque and an excellent record of hosting events.

Pyeongchang will probably win marginally. The continent is about due for an Olympics and the Koreans will be lobbying very hard in a "full-scale campaign", the same thing the British did to win the 2012 Games! They just won't have the vice president around anymore.

Their message seems great "peace and harmony" on the Korean peninsula, spreading winter sports through Asia, and a fairly compact venue plan, which is practically identical to the 2010 bid.

Let's just hope go Pyeongchang and maybe Salzburg or Sofia in 2018, if any of them still have steam to try again.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jaca also has the support of these three levels and it won't win... Madrid has the better support of the citizens to the bid and it didn't win... :oo:  :rolleyes:

At this stage (and yes, it's always hard to call this early in a race), I'd have to say PyeongChang looks the goods _ they've certainly hit the ground running for this one.

I'd nominate Sofia, though, as the challenger most likely to spring a "London 2012" type upset.

if going by 2012-2014 comparisons

Paris = Pyeongchange

Madrid = Sofia

London = Salzburg

NYC = Sochi

Almaty = Moscow

Pyeongchance, the front runner, like Paris, Sofia second in line, like Madrid was in 2003, Salzburg, minor problem suffering, like London, and than Sochi and Almaty with varing degrees of not a chance like NYC and Moscow

So you think that Salzburg will win and Sofia will win the second round but will be eliminated in the next one. And finally, when everybody is thinking about PyeonChang, Salzburg will win and celebrate it with hundreds of people in Trafalgar Square  :grinning:

Jaca also has the support of these three levels and it won't win... Madrid has the better support of the citizens to the bid and it didn't win...

You are correct. There are other aspects to the success of a bid other than government support. There are the availablity facilities, international sport experience Geopolitics and financial support. In the case of Jaca and Madrid, they lack these fundamentals - which as you said, Jaca won't win and why Madrid didn't win.

Pyeongchang has a significant advantage in all of these aspects, which is why they are front runners this time around. Let's hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

If Salzburg can get around the Geopolitics Factor, with the previous Olympics in Europe (London 2012) then they do stand a chance at being there in the final vote.

PC has some geopolitics against it, the smallest gap between an Asian games has been 8 years, and that was back when not many places wanted the games

Actually, geopolitics favours Pyeongchang this time around:

1998: Nagano (Asia)

2002: Salt Lake (North America)

2006: Torino (Europe)

2010: Vancouver (Canada! )

2014: Pyeongchang? (Asia)

Add the Summer Olympics and it makes it even more compelling:

2006: Tornio (Europe)

2008: bejing (Asia)

2010: Vancouver (North America)

2012: London (Europe)

2014: Pyeongchang? (Asia)

Europe is pretty much out of the running if you just take the Geopolitics into account. With North America getting a third of the games the past 20 years, an Asian candidate has a good chance in getting the games.

By the way, with my brain mush with this subject, are Kazakhstan and Georgia Asian or European countries here?
There are other aspects to the success of a bid other than government support. There are the availablity facilities, international sport experience Geopolitics and financial support. In the case of Jaca and Madrid, they lack these fundamentals - which as you said, Jaca won't win and why Madrid didn't win.

Pyeongchang has a significant advantage in all of these aspects, which is why they are front runners this time around. Let's hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

Actually Pyeongchang has a huge building programme needed for the Winter Olympics.  Last time I checked work is starting now in Peace Valley, but most of the inddor venues are still to be built, etc.  

Salzburg - if they recycle some exisiting venues are the most advanced in that respect, arguably with Almaty in second.  Almaty has all the required venues - ice halls, ski runs - they need upgrading though.  I think Korea has an edge as the Koreans will just spend, spend, spend.

By the way, with my brain mush with this subject, are Kazakhstan and Georgia Asian or European countries here?

geographical both are apart of Asia, politically and sportswise, Europe

Okay. Because I wasn't sure how they are classified as such, it was confusing to me.
I think, too, that PYEONGCHANG (TAEHANMIN' GUK) is the huge favourite.

The close runner-ups are SALZBURG (ÖSTERREICH) and SOFIJA (BALGARIJA).

It seems to be that to me as well so far.

I think, too, that PYEONGCHANG (TAEHANMIN' GUK) is the huge favourite.

The close runner-ups are SALZBURG (ÖSTERREICH) and SOFIJA (BALGARIJA).

It seems to be that to me as well so far.

PyeongChang should be very careful - remember, remember the 6th of July 2005!!!

Yes, That's what I was reffering to in another topic -

P

A

R

I

S

is a goog example of the fact that PC can't be sure of getting the 2014 WOG

Giving the games to PyongCheang would be a really sad news. It would be the first time that the winter games would be organized in a country where the population is totally disinterested in winter sports, with a very weak winter sport culture and tradition, and in a spot which doesnt have all the natural assets (great mountains, great snow,...) necessary to host great winter games. Add to this that PyongCheang is really far from being an experimented ski resort used to welcoming people for winter sports. Can we really organize an staggeringly important event such as the Olympics in a place where people dont even go skiing?

There are mountains in PyongCheang but I doubt they're as good and beautiful as the Alps or the Rockies. I mean, if skiing in PyongCheang was like skiing in places like Davos, Vale, Lake Placid or Annecy (and many others), people would go there skiing. But no one does (except the Korean of course). There are people in Korea who always show good will when they have to organize international events: but these people won't be as thrilled and as excited as people were in Salt Lake City, Albertville Lillehammer or Nagano.

And, most important thing, if PyongCheang wins the games, there will be no PASSION. And what often makes Olympic games truly beautiful is people's passion. But can people who even ignore the existence of most of the olympic winter sports have passion? I'm not blaming them for this at all, but the answer is no. I've already shivered when I realized with fear that PyongCheang almost won for 2010, I hope they won't make it for 2014.

Because I am a tremendous winter olympics fan, and therefore wanting the best quality 2014 Olympic Winter Games, I'm asking the IOC members to vote for Salzburg, or at least Jaca (for the same problems regard Sochi or Sofia, but I'm not talking about them since they have no chance to win) to avoid the worst. Since Salzburg seems to be the best candidate in this race I'm asking you to unite your votes behind this city.

Oy, Cordelia... :rolleyes: ever heard of spreading things around?  Who's to measure someone has more PASSION for sport than the other person?  Have you developed a system to measure it?  

Europe again?  Then they shouldn't be called the Olympic Games.  They should merely be called the European Winter Games.  Duh?

The Koreans are right up there in the short-track speedskating events - not bad for a country with barely a 60-year independent history, and ravaged by war twice in a matter of a decade.

And for passion?  Korea made it to the final 4 in the 2002 World Cup.  I'm sure there were people like you saying it should've gone to Europe because there is more passion there.  Same stupid arguement some Brits here have used in wanting to promote a 2018 WC bid -- when just this very week, the soccer powers-that-be in Britain pretty much ruled out a 2018 WC bid.  So that killed that argument.  

Salzburg?  The local citizens there don't even want the Games.  Now, there are scientific cold facts for that.  So why should it go to them?  Besides, Austria's hosted it twice -- so same lederhosen/Sound of Music theme??  

Get with it, Cordy.   :o

Cordelia -

What you write is just crap.

PyeongChang is organizing the world championships in Biathlon in 2009 and the 2009 Snowboard World Championships.

Regarding lack of sport tradition... well ever heard of Short Track ? Ski jumping ?

Alpine skiing is not the only Olympic sport.

And like it or not Korea is the favourite.

And like it or not Korea is the favourite.

I'm very happy that Korea is the favourite for 2014.  Just as Paris 2012, Athens 1996, Sion 2006, Beijing 2000, Salt Lake 1998, and Moscow 1976 were all the favourites.

This will churn up the temperature and force Sofia and possibly Sochi to put in very tempting bids.

I support Sofia.

Archived