Who do you think will win?

ghost1

Of course it is very early to be certain about anything in the 2014 race....but it is always neat to look back months/years down the road and see what people initially thought, and how things actually turned out....

So place your vote...remember it isn't necessarily who you support....but who you think will actually win knwoing what we know at this point....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this stage (and yes, it's always hard to call this early in a race), I'd have to say PyeongChang looks the goods _ they've certainly hit the ground running for this one.

I'd nominate Sofia, though, as the challenger most likely to spring a "London 2012" type upset.

Meh - I dunno - I'm going to vote Sochi as I really want the Games to go to a new region with a new kind of vibe.  Sofia just screams 'Sarajevo 84' to me... so while I'd love Almaty to win, the likeliness is that Sochi is the best bet for me.  Plus I made a few friends in the MOscow 2012 team sop I would like to see Catherine and the gang win one of these things - then again they may not be involved.  Hmm.  OK, I have argued myself out of it - I'm all about Almaty!  Those crazy Kazakhs!

At this stage (and yes, it's always hard to call this early in a race), I'd have to say PyeongChang looks the goods _ they've certainly hit the ground running for this one.

I'd nominate Sofia, though, as the challenger most likely to spring a "London 2012" type upset.

if going by 2012-2014 comparisons

Paris = Pyeongchange

Madrid = Sofia

London = Salzburg

NYC = Sochi

Almaty = Moscow

Pyeongchance, the front runner, like Paris, Sofia second in line, like Madrid was in 2003, Salzburg, minor problem suffering, like London, and than Sochi and Almaty with varing degrees of not a chance like NYC and Moscow

Pyeongchance, the front runner, like Paris, Sofia second in line, like Madrid was in 2003, Salzburg, minor problem suffering, like London, and than Sochi and Almaty with varing degrees of not a chance like NYC and Moscow

Yes, I also think that PyeongChang will be the frontrunner but this time I think it will win. :)  :;):

lets face it, about 80 IOC members were around to witness '88, the last Korean games and it did leave a very bitter taste in many peoples mouths, i am sure that out of those at least 20 will not want another Korean games because of it, and that could be the line between winning and losing. not to mention a few IOC members called the 2010 vote a blunder and that Vancouver should have won on the first ballot (Dick Pound, and someone from Switzerland)

if going by 2012-2014 comparisons

Paris = Pyeongchange

Madrid = Sofia

London = Salzburg

NYC = Sochi

Almaty = Moscow

very interesting comparrisson

I could add:

Jaca=Rio

Borjomi=Havana

lets face it, about 80 IOC members were around to witness '88, the last Korean games and it did leave a very bitter taste in many peoples mouths, i am sure that out of those at least 20 will not want another Korean games because of it, and that could be the line between winning and losing. not to mention a few IOC members called the 2010 vote a blunder and that Vancouver should have won on the first ballot (Dick Pound, and someone from Switzerland)

Funny how you say that... those same IOC members were the ones that said the Korean Olympics was a "success"

Koreans are well known for hosting a beautiful and very successful games... No one can ever say that Koreans can't host because it's been proven wrong. In fact, never heard anyone say that Koreans failed at hosting...

You can continue to blabber about how horrible the '88 games were, like you've been doing for like FOREVER now... But in the end, the fact is it was the best games up to that time....

interior.jpggal1988s_l_16.jpg

Seoul_Friedenstor.jpgperfectsoul200408021741460o6.jpg

if you are too blind to see what happened amide the 88 Olympics, its not my problem

this is not a shoe-in for Pyeongchange, not by a long shot, and people will be itching for any reason to give the games to Sofia or Salzburg, PC is tachless and disrespectful when it comes to the bid and got like five warnings from the IOC last time around, and probably will do so again.

Honestly, you're not in the position to talk about what's respectful and disrepsectful. If I am "too blind", then I guess you are ignorant.

Of course this will not be an easy bid for PyeongChang 2014... If that was so, then why did the front runner for 2012, Paris, lost the bid? Any bidding race is unpredectable and tough.  That's why PyeongChang 2014 bid will have to work even harder this year...

But anyway, let's see how PyeongChang does in this bid. I hope PyeongChang wins the right to host the 2014 Olympics just to prove to you Korea's ability to host international events.

Let the battle of the "new frontiers" begin. Of course, the exception here is Austria. It is trying to get its THIRD Winter Olympics.

when it comes to the Winter Olympics i am a pure traditionalist, i want an Austrian Olympics, since the IOC has given London a games after the two services that city has paid to the IOC (1908 and 1948), i would think its time for the IOC to give the games back to Austria as a reward for pulling off the games in '76 after Denver slapped the IOC in the face

Harbin!!  Where's Liu Tan?

I am HERE.

In Chinese there is a sentence "Respect the old men and take good care of the kids."

An old man as you are, I don't like to go on quarrelling with you.  Don't you think it's very fun that a 48 years old man qurrels with a 18-year old boy ? lol... :laughlong:

2005623201950114.jpg

No matter what, Harbin is an excellent city with its citizens' fully supports. I'm proud of my city.

2005625191350111.jpg

The Chinese characters on the backs of the boys : " Bid Winter Olympoics and develop the city of Harbin."

:;):

I reckon Pyeongchang. Salzburg is its most likely challenger for me.

South Korea is trying to be the only seventh nation to have hosted both different Olympic Games. This can be applied to Russia and Spain, too.

Jaca won't win 2014 but I think Jaca should win a Winter Games in the 2020's (2026, maybe? :;):  :) ).

SALZBURG     I think the IOC may be on a bit of a traditionalist, "safe" kick now, as whitnessed by London winning the 2012 games.  Salzburg is a great city with much charm and alpine history.  They could host a splendid winter games!  Salzburg will definately put up a much cleaner, attractive bid for 2014 than they did for 2010; their experiance, the second time around, will pay off.  Sofia would be a fun "new frontier" for the games, but in the end I think the race will be Pyeongchang v. Salzburg.  Pyeongchang is probably considered the "frontrunner," but we all know that isn't necessarily a good thing.   :)

Archived