FIFA World Cup 2026

Kenadian

2 hours ago, munichfan said:

That new "FIFA corporate design" just seems like too much for me. There's just so much different stuff happening in the 2023 Women's World Cup logo.

They would probably no longer using the stylized tournament trophy emblems after Qatar 2022.

I feel like somewhere might lose out to Orlando, as a thank you from CONCACAF for hosting so many continental matches, including non-US matches, throughout the pandemic, in addition to MLS Is Back (although that was at Disney, not at the stadium). They have more than enough of pretty much anything to fit at least group stage games, if not better...

5 hours ago, Comped said:

I feel like somewhere might lose out to Orlando, as a thank you from CONCACAF for hosting so many continental matches, including non-US matches, throughout the pandemic, in addition to MLS Is Back (although that was at Disney, not at the stadium). They have more than enough of pretty much anything to fit at least group stage games, if not better...

We have to wait and see later this year if so. Vancouver could be the new host city replacement on Canada's side stepping in for Montreal.

14 hours ago, Comped said:

They have an unroofed stadium and thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon. Keep in mind kick-off times are usually set to meet European viewers' optimum. So many games (and most important ones) will kick of around 3 pm Eastern.

Miami seems like a safe bet to me (along the likes of NY/NJ, Dallas and LA). Orlando should be among those less likely to make the cut.

14 hours ago, munichfan said:

They have an unroofed stadium and thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon. Keep in mind kick-off times are usually set to meet European viewers' optimum. So many games (and most important ones) will kick of around 3 pm Eastern.

Miami seems like a safe bet to me (along the likes of NY/NJ, Dallas and LA). Orlando should be among those less likely to make the cut.

My prediction for host cities:

Canada:
Vancouver - BC Place (Capacity: 54,500)

Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (Capacity: 56,302)

Toronto - BMO Field (Capacity: 40,000)

Mexico:

Mexico City - Estadio Azteca (Capacity: 87,523)

Monterrey - Estadio BBVA (Capacity: 51,000)

Guadalajara - Estadio Akron (Capacity: 48,071)

United States:

Los Angeles - Rose Bowl (Capacity: 92,542)

New York City - MetLife Stadium (Capacity: 82,500)

Dallas - Empower Field at Mile High (Capacity: 76,125)

Atlanta - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Capacity: 71,000)

Boston - Gillette Stadium (Capacity: 65,878)

Nashville - Nissan Stadium (Capacity: 69,143)

Miami - Hard Rock Stadium (Capacity: 64,767)

Baltimore - M&T Stadium (Capacity: 71,006)

San Francisco/Santa Clara - Levi's Stadium (Capacity: 68,500) [located across from the California's Great America theme park]

Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field (Capacity: 69,796)

Sorry Washington, D.C., Kansas City, Houston, Seattle, Cincinnati and Orlando. You've got too far.

That's my prediction which seems likely.

6 hours ago, SportLightning said:

Canada:

Mexico:

United States:

Dallas - Empower Field at Mile High (Capacity: 76,125)

San Francisco/Santa Clara - Levi's Stadium (Capacity: 68,500) [located across from the California's Great America theme park]

Sorry Washington, D.C., Kansas City, Houston, Seattle, Cincinnati and Orlando. You've got too far.

You meant AT&T Stadium

Empower Field at Mile High is in Denver

20 hours ago, Hightowerio86 said:

You meant AT&T Stadium

Empower Field at Mile High is in Denver

Sorry, i may have confused it.

Canada:

Mexico:

United States:

Dallas - AT&T Stadium (Capacity: 88,000)

Sorry Washington, D.C., Denver, Kansas City, Houston, Seattle, Cincinnati and Orlando. You've got too far.

That's a lot better than than the original post i did.

16 hours ago, SportLightning said:

United States:

There is no question LA will be selected as a host city.  But they'll use SoFi Stadium as the venue rather than the Rose Bowl.  That place was built to host mega events.  The folks in Pasadena won't want the big crowds out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Is it possible to temporarily expand this stadium for the world cup? Add, say, 10,000 temporary seats and LA becomes a perfect option for the final.

I think so. The Rose Bowl seems like a good venue to be the final again just like in 1994.

10 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

I think so. The Rose Bowl seems like a good venue to be the final again just like in 1994.

Of course, I mean SoFi, not the Rose Bowl. They'd be fools to go to Pasadena rather than to Inglewood.

3 hours ago, munichfan said:

Of course, I mean SoFi, not the Rose Bowl. They'd be fools to go to Pasadena rather than to Inglewood.

SoFi Stadium is not in the official candidate list. I'm not sure if it is possible. According to Sports Illustrated, seven cities are favorites for U.S. host cities: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco.

^That’s just a general list of large cities of where their respective stadiums are located near. It’s not like the Rose Bowl is officially in Los Angeles, it’s in Pasadena. 

Same thing with San Francisco. Levi stadium is actually in Santa Clara, which is actually closer to San Jose than San Fran. It’s also the Same with “New York” with met life, which is actually in New Jersey, and AT&T stadium in Arlington (not Dallas), & Foxboro in the city of Foxboro, not Boston.

20 hours ago, SportLightning said:

SoFi Stadium is not in the official candidate list. I'm not sure if it is possible. According to Sports Illustrated, seven cities are favorites for U.S. host cities: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco.

Yes it is.  Both them and the Rose Bowl are under consideration.  And it's a given they'll choose SoFi over the Rose Bowl if the choice is between the 2.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, munichfan said:

Is it possible to temporarily expand this stadium for the world cup? Add, say, 10,000 temporary seats and LA becomes a perfect option for the final.

They list expanded capacity based on standing room, so we'll see if FIFA is okay with that.  I know they're normally not

I don’t see Nashville as a site, not when you have Atlanta nearby. Baltimore seems iffy, too, when you have Philadelphia nearby. Not to mention, when there’s already two other northeast stadiums (MetLife & Gillette) that are bound to be shoo-in sites.

22 hours ago, FYI said:

I don’t see Nashville as a site, not when you have Atlanta nearby. Baltimore seems iffy, too, when you have Philadelphia nearby. Not to mention, when there’s already two other northeast stadiums (MetLife & Gillette) that are bound to be shoo-in sites.

But Atlanta and Boston are among the favorite. I still predict Nashville as a venue for that World Cup.

Well, “good for you”. But I “still predict” that Nashville will *not* be a 2026 site. What is your logic behind that, besides just sayin’ so? Because I sense partiality there. 

FIFA wishes to spread this thing around, which was the premise behind “United 2026” (which is totally ironic, to say the least, when considering the 2022 WC host). But Nashville is just too close to Atlanta in a less populated region of the country, which most likely don’t even play soccer as much as in other parts of the U.S.

If anything, I can see Houston (along with  Dallas), which you don’t have on your “list”, simply because they have NRG stadium & is a much larger market than Nashville. You didn’t say anything about Baltimore, though, which also seems iffy (when factoring in Foxborough, NJ & Philly) but at least they’re in a corridor of the country (along with DC) where a vast number of the population resides.

1 hour ago, SportLightning said:

But Atlanta and Boston are among the favorite. I still predict Nashville as a venue for that World Cup.

I don't see Boston as a favorite, mostly because that stadium is nowhere near Boston.  Yes, I know Foxboro was a venue in 1994, but there are many newer stadiums out there, most of which are closer to major cities that serve them.  Atlanta seems like a better bet as they just built a new stadium that's right near the city center.  Nashville is a fun city, but I don't think it'll crack the top 10 here

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Well, “good for you”.

:lol:

20 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Nashville is a fun city, but I don't think it'll crack the top 10 here

Yeah, but as you can see, our little friend here has a Nashville "fetish". :D

The 1994 WC had two, major Midwestern sites. There's only two, smaller (in comparison, but both still a bit larger than Nashville) Midwestern sites under consideration for 2026. So if anything, I'd bet that one of those might get selected, & giving the edge to the one with the newer stadium.

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

Yeah, but as you can see, our little friend here has a Nashville "fetish". :D

The 1994 WC had two, major Midwestern sites. There's only two, smaller (in comparison, but both still a bit larger than Nashville) Midwestern sites under consideration for 2026. So if anything, I'd bet that one of those might get selected, & giving the edge to the one with the newer stadium.

Again, Nashville is a great city.  Would be fun to party there.  But if the Untied States only gets 10 cities to host, I don't see them making the cut. 

There seems to be a big hole in the Midwest.  Isn't Columbus, OH, a hot soccer market -- plus OSU is there?   

So the 10 US cities will be:  NYC, LA, DC or Philly, Atlanta, SF Bay Area, LV, Columbus, Miami/ORL, Dallas & Houston.  

Semis in Atlanta and LA; finals at the Meadowlands.  

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

There seems to be a big hole in the Midwest.  Isn't Columbus, OH, a hot soccer market -- plus OSU is there?   

So the 10 US cities will be:  NYC, LA, DC or Philly, Atlanta, SF Bay Area, LV, Columbus, Miami/ORL, Dallas & Houston.  

Semis in Atlanta and LA; finals at the Meadowlands.  

Las Vegas sure would make an amazing option. Allegiant stadium seems one of the more fitting NFL stadiums for association football. Are they even in the mix, though? As far as I know, they didn't even bother to bid for WC matches in the first place.

Also, why go to Atlanta for the semi rather than Dallas? To please the Santa Claus company? Or why else would you skip on the additional seating capacity in Dallas?

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Exactly, which is why I would think Kansas City (although pushing this as Midwest is reaching a bit IMO, but some still consider it so. I consider it more Great Plains, though) or Cincinnati (not Columbus), over another southern spot like Nashville. And KC is suppose to be a big soccer city as well. 

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So the 10 US cities will be: LV, Columbus,

3 hours ago, munichfan said:

Las Vegas sure would make an amazing option. Allegiant stadium seems one of the more fitting NFL stadiums for association football. Are they even in the mix, though? As far as I know, they didn't even bother to bid for WC matches in the first place.

Las Vegas got cut in the last elimination round, along with Tampa, Charlotte & SLC. I guess LV, Tampa & Charlotte weren’t soccer enough cities, which would be yet another reason why I don’t see Nashville making the cut. I recently read that Nashville isn’t really pushing their bid hard enough either like the other U.S. cities still in contention are.

It’s also now 11 U.S. cities, since Montreal withdrew itself last summer from the Canadian roster. So, my 11 U.S. picks are, SFB, LA, Seattle (the NW is another U.S. hot soccer region, & another glaring big hole there for the region, especially when Vancouver, BC from the start said no to the WC), Dallas, Houston, KC or Cincinnati, Atlanta, Miami or Orlando, NJ, Philly, DC or Foxborough.

“Sorry”, SL. But Nashville is a no-go (for reasons cited above).