FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

Morocco is not particularly well liked by sub-Saharan African countries due to their handling of events like the Ebola outbreak. I will still be surprised if the United bid wins, however, due to the triad of time zone differences, the logistics issues with a continental bid and finally the USA's issues with Trumpism and Islamophobia.

24 minutes ago, Nacre said:

Morocco is not particularly well liked by sub-Saharan African countries due to their handling of events like the Ebola outbreak. I will still be surprised if the United bid wins, however, due to the triad of time zone differences, the logistics issues with a continental bid and finally the USA's issues with Trumpism and Islamophobia.

Against Morocco's issues, these are minor. Probably why the tide is tilted towards the joint bid.

17 minutes ago, nykfan845 said:

Against Morocco's issues, these are minor. Probably why the tide is tilted towards the joint bid.

I certainly hope you are right, because FIFA needs a stable host without issues in 2026. Plus World Cup games an hour away. I am a lot more hopeful than I was a couple of days ago considering what has shifted in CONCACAF. But we never anticipated Russia/Qatar. I remember the night before a lot of people thinking it would be Spain/Portugal and USA. So....

Morocco would be a stable world cup in the same way that South Africa was a stable world cup. I don't particularly like the country (I have relatives who live there who have had problems with the authorities and had lots of health issues from eating contaminated food,) but it is not problematic in the way that Russia and Qatar are problematic.

9 minutes ago, Nacre said:

Morocco would be a stable world cup in the same way that South Africa was a stable world cup. I don't particularly like the country (I have relatives who live there who have had problems with the authorities and had lots of health issues from eating contaminated food,) but it is not problematic in the way that Russia and Qatar are problematic.

There is a reason why their bid scored so low, and I'll leave it at that.

Wiser heads prevail.  4 years later than it should have been, but I'll take it.  Good for FIFA for finally making a smart and much needed decision.  Looking forward to the final being a stone's throw from home!

14 hours ago, Nacre said:

Trump will be gone by 2026.  The time zone differences can be managed.  Like with Brazil, many of the bigger games can be during the afternoon, so they'll be in the evening in Europe.  I'd say there could be a windfall in terms of TV rights money, but they already sold out to Fox because of 2022.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:24 PM, paul said:

The US is going to be busy, it would be better held in a country with truer passion for soccer. We need less global clubs involved in US  business....there is too much money involved and too much risk of corruption.

Canada and Mexico didn't need the US in their plan did they? I think it would be better to see one country bid.

A Mexico WC would be so cool to watch.

I understand your resistance to an LA Olympics, but why this?  What risks of corruption are there when virtually 100% of the infrastructure is in place.  As opposed to Morocco which would have to spend billions on stadiums.  Yes, Canada and Mexico needed the United States, especially that this is a 48 team World Cup.  A final at Azteca would have been nice, but tell that to the citizens of Mexico that would have to pay for it.  And LOL and truer passion for soccer.  This is a country of 300+ million people.  Pretty sure they'll find a few fans to get up for this.  The final in the NYC area is going to be an epic event.

If bids 'led' by one main host with 2 or more smaller hosts are OK now, maybe it's time for England to work with Wales, Scotland, NI & maybe the Republic of Ireland to bring the World Cup here in 2030. The 12-year gap between European hosting will have passed & this process felt much less controversial - an ideal opportunity to try again. 

The travel seems like a nightmare to me, but that's probably because I hate flying and I've had to do too much traveling in northern states in winter. (My last trip to Boston from Seattle took 52 hours with delays and layovers. That will be the last time I ever volunteer for a project at Harvard.) With charter jets and summer weather it should be easier, but I still don't envy the foreign fans that will follow their teams from Los Angeles to Miami to Chicago.

27 minutes ago, yoshi said:

If bids 'led' by one main host with 2 or more smaller hosts are OK now, maybe it's time for England to work with Wales, Scotland, NI & maybe the Republic of Ireland to bring the World Cup here in 2030. The 12-year gap between European hosting will have passed & this process felt much less controversial - an ideal opportunity to try again. 

With Infantino seeming to favour joint bids I think this is something the FA will asking FIFA about now 2026 been decided. The default assumption is an England 2030 bid but I wouldn't rule out a joint UK bid. If the noises from FIFA suggest that's the direction they favour, then I could see it happening.

Still think England going it alone is more likely than not....but let's see...

I think it is much more likely seeing a European model be more like what has happened previously with Rugby World Cups.

Germany with Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp and Brussels or France with Antwerp, Brussels, Zurich and Geneva as examples.