Jump to content
Kenadian

FIFA World Cup 2026

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

For a more accurate comparison, they'd be more like a third division team in England.

Leicester has demonstrated that they could compete with Europe's top clubs

2 years earlier, they weren't even in the Premier League.  And the year before their championship, as I understand it they spent most of the season in position to get relegated.  That's how unlikely that all was, and it's amazing that this year they're in the middle of the table again.  We see that happen here a lot in the United States, and I certainly don't know much about English football, but it seems hard to fathom a team going from 14th to 1st to 12th (or wherever they wind up finishing).

And with respect to the United States (I'll direct this at you since unlike another poster, your analysis is NOT based on having a very obvious inferiority complex), how about the 2009 Confederations Cup?  They could play Spain 50 more times and lose every single one of them.  But they won that one, and that was with Spain in between championships at Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup.  Not to mention the US had a 2-0 lead over Brazil in the final.

I don't know what kind of odds the US will have at winning the 2026 World Cup, but I'm betting they'll be better than 5000-1.  And unlike Leicester City's run, where they needed to be good over a stretch of 38 games, a World Cup is only 7 games.  Maybe the USMNT will flame out in a home soil World Cup and that's far more likely than winning the whole thing.  Not the most impossible outcome though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say the US winning would be similar to Greece winning the Euros back in 2004. A big shock, unlikely, but not impossible.

Not really possible to compare club and international football for various reasons - number of games, squad unity and understanding and time together in training, money, league rather than knockout, familiarity of stadiums, style of play. Leicester - over the last three seasons, not just their title winning year - are a weird anomaly even within club football, so to use them as a comparison to anything else makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

2 years earlier, they weren't even in the Premier League.  And the year before their championship, as I understand it they spent most of the season in position to get relegated.  That's how unlikely that all was, and it's amazing that this year they're in the middle of the table again.  We see that happen here a lot in the United States, and I certainly don't know much about English football, but it seems hard to fathom a team going from 14th to 1st to 12th (or wherever they wind up finishing).

And with respect to the United States (I'll direct this at you since unlike another poster, your analysis is NOT based on having a very obvious inferiority complex), how about the 2009 Confederations Cup?  They could play Spain 50 more times and lose every single one of them.  But they won that one, and that was with Spain in between championships at Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup.  Not to mention the US had a 2-0 lead over Brazil in the final.

I don't know what kind of odds the US will have at winning the 2026 World Cup, but I'm betting they'll be better than 5000-1.  And unlike Leicester City's run, where they needed to be good over a stretch of 38 games, a World Cup is only 7 games.  Maybe the USMNT will flame out in a home soil World Cup and that's far more likely than winning the whole thing.  Not the most impossible outcome though.

But the United States football is very different than the rest of the world, that's why no one believes it possible for the US to win it. 

You got to start from scratch and build the program from the ground up, from kids starting to kick the ball around all the way to Major League Soccer. By doing that, you instaure an identity and overall style of play. That's how Germany was able to completely rebuild their program. 

Injecting more money in MLS and attracting stars in the twilight of their career doesn't bring the US any closer to a World Cup. As a matter of fact, most of the US recent success is due to Klinsmann coming to the exact same conclusion.

The talent in the United States isn't good or deep enough. So Klinsmann traveled the world and found as many footballers  playing in top leagues that were eligible to a US passport or dual citizens as he could and signed them up. US born players performing in European league provided a solid base to support them. That's how the US we're able to ascend to the level they are now.

Don't get me wrong, the USA is a good team but not an elite team. Pulisic is a jewel for the the US team and undeniably their best prospect for the near future, However, if Messi or Ronaldo, even Neymar can't win a World Cup for their country, it proves the importance of the whole team needing to be elite players. USA has an elite player in Pulisic and perhaps Bradley but not at the other positions.

I have no doubt that the US can one day be a contender but it won't be in 9 years. If you saw the last world cup, Germany and Argentina were by far the better teams and I assure you they have elite superstars at every positions. For the United States to build such a team takes time and a great program, believe me, its still a work in progress in England.

We have the superior league compared to France and Italy, but they've been consistently better in international tournaments than us. It's a source of frustration to us since tradition seems to overrides reasons in the minds of those running the English program.

In regards to the Confederation cup, best not to take it that seriously. Countries don't always send their best players to that tournament, hence FIFA wanting to replace it with a 32 team Club World Cup.

As for Leicester City, I apologize but we can't compare club level and national team. They function too differently. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Is this like your saying Canada will be the Sole Host of WC 2026?   

Lionel Messi and Reynaldo can be bought!!;)

Messi and Ronaldo won't be playing in 2026 and I doubt they could be bought lol.

As for the the US winning the world cup in 2026, I don't see that happening, even American media's would agree on that

https://youtu.be/af2sy9xbrsA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

But the United States football is very different than the rest of the world, that's why no one believes it possible for the US to win it. 

You got to start from scratch and build the program from the ground up, from kids starting to kick the ball around all the way to Major League Soccer. By doing that, you instaure an identity and overall style of play. That's how Germany was able to completely rebuild their program. 

Injecting more money in MLS and attracting stars in the twilight of their career doesn't bring the US any closer to a World Cup. As a matter of fact, most of the US recent success is due to Klinsmann coming to the exact same conclusion.

The talent in the United States isn't good or deep enough. So Klinsmann traveled the world and found as many footballers  playing in top leagues that were eligible to a US passport or dual citizens as he could and signed them up. US born players performing in European league provided a solid base to support them. That's how the US we're able to ascend to the level they are now.

Don't get me wrong, the USA is a good team but not an elite team. Pulisic is a jewel for the the US team and undeniably their best prospect for the near future, However, if Messi or Ronaldo, even Neymar can't win a World Cup for their country, it proves the importance of the whole team needing to be elite players. USA has an elite player in Pulisic and perhaps Bradley but not at the other positions.

I have no doubt that the US can one day be a contender but it won't be in 9 years. If you saw the last world cup, Germany and Argentina were by far the better teams and I assure you they have elite superstars at every positions. For the United States to build such a team takes time and a great program, believe me, its still a work in progress in England.

We have the superior league compared to France and Italy, but they've been consistently better in international tournaments than us. It's a source of frustration to us since tradition seems to overrides reasons in the minds of those running the English program.

In regards to the Confederation cup, best not to take it that seriously. Countries don't always send their best players to that tournament, hence FIFA wanting to replace it with a 32 team Club World Cup.

As for Leicester City, I apologize but we can't compare club level and national team. They function too differently. 

 

To echo what you meant by the grassroots level needing to work efficiently to get a national team to perform

Yikes....Bradley being an average midfielder...Glad I'm not the one saying it but most experts would agree.

But I will admit that the will to be good at soccer is there for the US and that since around 1990. They have been better than us ever since while we used to be equals in the past. They've shown more commitment and resolve towards the game than us Canadians.

We only started to show the same commitment to soccer around 2014 right after the last world cup when we finally got someone competent to run the CSA. What's your take on the matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ansem said:

 

WRONG.  She doesn't know what she's talking about.  I have kids playing soccer on my street every day.  SHe's TOTALLY WRONG -- just like you are, Ansem!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing how quickly a Canadian can find a video of Colin Cow-turd and Jason Whitlock online to explain soccer to me.  That's just great.

The problem is - and will continue to be for the foreseeable future - that the United States is home to the world's most prominent baseball league, basketball league, and hockey league.  And not that anyone outside the US cares about American football, but there's a lot of money to be made there.  Contrast that with soccer where we don't have that and never will, especially in comparison to countries in Europe and South America.  Even if you're a kid who aspires to represent the United States in the World Cup, you're not going to make a lot of money if you do that here.  Your best bet is to head elsewhere and how many kids grow up thinking that way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The USMNT has made it out of the group stage the past two world cups, and three of the last four. While the team is currently is disarray, they are likely to be in position to get out of the group stage in 2022 and 2026. 

Many team that makes it out of the group stage can win. In a short, single elimination tournament funny things can happen. 

Right now, we suck. But it would be crazy to write off the US's chances for a tournamebt that far out. The best players on that team may be in junior high now. Or whatever they cal junior high in Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US are a good team but it's realistic to write out the US of winning the World Cup 9 years from now. It's just fact but you should be proud of your team's accomplishments 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Just pointing out that we can't talk winning world cup when it isn't even part of the "culture" to begin with.

I thought better of you.  But I think you're just full of SH*T!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The USA's player pool is still behind that of Mexico, much less Brazil or Germany. It is more obvious at the club level than internationally. The 200th best American is way behind the 200th best Mexican. (Unfortunately you have to watch a bunch of Liga MX vs Major League Soccer games to see it.) But you only see the cream of each country's players in international matches so Americans can delude themselves into thinking we are now better than our neighbors to the south.

The big weakness in American football/soccer is that youth teams are really direct (or "simple" for Americans) compared to the passing heavy play of youth football in Latin America and continental Europe. There is a lot of mindless running and not enough mental work. Unfortunately I think it is even worse in Canada due to the frigid winter weather. (Except for coastal British Columbia.)

English football also tends to be very physical and far fewer fouls are called than on the continent, which is probably why the English national team has historically underachieved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I thought better of you.  But I think you're just full of SH*T!!

Thanks for your input to the coversation. Very helpful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nacre said:

English football also tends to be very physical and far fewer fouls are called than on the continent, which is probably why the English national team has historically underachieved.

Where to begin here... unlike Bundesliga, the Premier League doesn't do that great of a job to develop homegrown elite talents....not nearly enough of them.

The style of play needs to change... (can't stand the long ball play)

Overhaul of the youth academies is needed

Stability in management.

We're a mess and we need to do what the German did to win a major tournament but our FA suits thinks they know better unfortunately 

Here's a example of what to do 

http://www.livemint.com/Specials/V9y68aRPPg2axLuhut5KiO/Five-reasons-why-Germany-won-the-World-Cup.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nacre said:

Unfortunately I think it is even worse in Canada due to the frigid winter weather. (Except for coastal British Columbia.)

Weather has nothing to do with it. Actually more Canadian kids are playing football than hockey.

They're problem is that their players see little minutes at top level, hence their FA launching a top league.

Also...their FA neglected the game for decades And tried to copy England in many regards but I think the worse is behind them now.

They will improve faster than people realize and it already started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zekekelso said:

The USMNT has made it out of the group stage the past two world cups, and three of the last four. While the team is currently is disarray, they are likely to be in position to get out of the group stage in 2022 and 2026. 

Many team that makes it out of the group stage can win. In a short, single elimination tournament funny things can happen. 

Right now, we suck. But it would be crazy to write off the US's chances for a tournamebt that far out. The best players on that team may be in junior high now. Or whatever they cal junior high in Germany.

I think the US version of the 2014 World Cup is as good as its going to get in the current USSF system. They were keeping up with world power teams which surprised everyone. The manager had a lot to do with it.

However, Klinsmann was not a fan of US homegrown players nor the current system, hence him trying to get dual citizens and others to sign up for the US. 

The US has a good starting XI but they don't have a deep bench which should be coming from MLS and homegrown players. 

In the World Cup, you can't win the tournament without a deep bench.

We'll see what Arena can do so the US can qualify for Russia but there's no margin for errors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Missed you too man

Uhm .... remember they said Dewey won over Truman, that Donald Trump couldn't take the White House?  Well, the US Men have as good a chance to win 2026 as any.  And don't you forget that!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mack_king said:

Weather has nothing to do with it. Actually more Canadian kids are playing football than hockey.

They're problem is that their players see little minutes at top level, hence their FA launching a top league.

Also...their FA neglected the game for decades And tried to copy England in many regards but I think the worse is behind them now.

They will improve faster than people realize and it already started.

I'd resume why were bad in this list:

•Complacency: We were actually an average to ok team up until 1986. We were about equal to the US while having the better record when playing them. The CSA just figured out "don't fix what's not broken". But everyone else got better while we stall.

•Indifference: Canadians like Americans were indifferent to the domestic game. Americans has NFL, MLB and NBA while we only cared about hockey and CFL. So whatever the CSA was doing, no one cared so they resumed their incompetent management. The 1994 WC changed the US but it didn't trickled down on us.

•2000: Best team we ever had. We won the World Cup by beating Mexico and Columbia. Most of the players were playing in Europe which explained this era which I will admit was a bit of an anomaly.

Finished 3rd in 2002. We lost to the USA

lost to the US again in 2007 but Julian De Guzman was MVP of the tournament.

Then it went downhill...we became bad then worst.

•2008- Major League Soccer: MLS was granted permission to operate in Canada by the CSA. It was believed that the NHL model would be replicated for soccer. In hockey, Americans and Canadians are equals in the top league giving opportunities to both sides. Each countries are responsible for the development at lower tier, USA with the NCAA and Canada with the CHL. 

However, after expending to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver (top Canadian markets) MLS deemed the Canadian expansion over and severely restricted Canadian players to access the league via their domestic rules not counting Canadians as domestic. This meant very little minutes were played by our players and less than 5% of the league were from here. So we stagnated, unable to improve.

•2012 Brazil qualifiers: We had a good team and it was believed to be able.to go to Brazil, then the epic collapse happened in San Pedro Sulas in Honduras where we got crushed and eliminated. While the older generation didn't care about soccer, mine did and denounced the CSA incompetency. Everyone got fired and decided to start from scratch.

•2014 Victor Montagliani: He took over and started the ground work for a division 1 Canadian league and blocked new teams from joining the US system. He started the Canadian bid for 2026 and became CONCACAF president. The grassroots level got a massive overhaul and the English style was deemed obsolete.

We think we can qualify for Qatar. The new manager wants into have the South American approach to soccer from the bottom up with an emphasis on offensive rather than defense + counter attack. The Canadian Premier League will help deepen our bench while our elites will be the core of the team and better supported.

This was our 1st game under new management against Scotland and tied. We didn't have our best players so if we can play like that without Larin, Davies, and Tabla, the future looks promising.

If we can get all our dual citizens playing in Europe to commit to Canada like the Americans did, we'll have increased our chances to make 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mack_king said:

Where to begin here... unlike Bundesliga, the Premier League doesn't do that great of a job to develop homegrown elite talents....not nearly enough of them.

While I agree that the Premier League is awful at developing English players, the second division of English football is stronger than leagues like Eredivisie. Surely teams like Watford and Fulham can be relied upon to take the academy graduates of Liverpool and Chelsea on loan.

6 hours ago, Mack_king said:

Weather has nothing to do with it. Actually more Canadian kids are playing football than hockey.

There is a difference between kids being forced to play a sport in school vs kids playing it at a high level. Growing up in the USA I was forced to play football in school against my will (because it is cheap: you only need a ball and a field) but I never played the sport with my friends for fun until I went to university. We played basketball for fun, so naturally I am much better at basketball than football despite "officially" playing football more often.

Canadian kids living in colder and snowier environments need to have access to indoor training facilities to train during the winter. That makes it harder for the working class kids to develop. Compare Russian football to Italian football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously what Canada needs to do is station a large military presence in Germany. From a soccer standpoint, it's the best thing the US has ever done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nacre said:

There is a difference between kids being forced to play a sport in school vs kids playing it at a high level. Growing up in the USA I was forced to play football in school against my will (because it is cheap: you only need a ball and a field) but I never played the sport with my friends for fun until I went to university. We played basketball for fun, so naturally I am much better at basketball than football despite "officially" playing football more often.

Canadian kids living in colder and snowier environments need to have access to indoor training facilities to train during the winter. That makes it harder for the working class kids to develop. Compare Russian football to Italian football.

Actually what I meant is that more kids are registered in actual soccer leagues than there are kids registered in hockey leagues in Canada.

It started during the last decade. It's a mix of :

•Massive immigration which brings that soccer culture with them like that kid Davies of the Vancouver Whitecaps who made the main roster last year at the age of 15. We're waiting for his passport to start him with the national team. Manchester United and Chelsea are scouting him.

•middle class/less fortunate families who can't afford to put their kids in hockey programs because it's ridiculously expensive, choose soccer at a much earlier age for their kids. There's a federal tax credits created by the previous Conservatives government for parents who put their kids in sport programs. So for poorer Canadians, cost is virtually nothing as they get their money back.

•Generational shift: Boomers and X only cared about hockey and Canadian football. This generation is all in about soccer. The victim is the CFL who are seeing a drop in attendance.

I'm not claiming that as of today, we have a soccer culture nor that we're good as of today, but the future looks bright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×