FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

3 hours ago, munichfan said:

Las Vegas sure would make an amazing option. Allegiant stadium seems one of the more fitting NFL stadiums for association football. Are they even in the mix, though? As far as I know, they didn't even bother to bid for WC matches in the first place.

Also, why go to Atlanta for the semi rather than Dallas? To please the Santa Claus company? Or why else would you skip on the additional seating capacity in Dallas?

Las Vegas withdrew bid to host 2026 World Cup

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

There seems to be a big hole in the Midwest.  Isn't Columbus, OH, a hot soccer market -- plus OSU is there?   

So the 10 US cities will be:  NYC, LA, DC or Philly, Atlanta, SF Bay Area, LV, Columbus, Miami/ORL, Dallas & Houston.  

Semis in Atlanta and LA; finals at the Meadowlands.  

Columbus isn't under consideration.  Cincinnati is, so they could potentially fill that geographical gap.  Here's the map of cities still in the running...

FIFAcities.jpg

Definitely a little odd knowing all the major cities in the Midwest and not seeing them on the list.  I know one of the complaints back in 1994 was that the United States is so spread out and it's tough to get from city to city cheaply (we're talking about literally tens thousands of people trying to move around, so it's less than automatic for them all to book flights), so it wouldn't be a terrible thing if there were more clusters of cities rather than having outliers just to spread things around.

17 cities listed, 6 of them won't be picked.  The 6 that probably would be on my chopping block.. Boston, Baltimore, Denver, Nashville, Houston, and 1 of the 2 Florida cities.

So you see both, Kansas City AND Cincinnati as making the cut? 

And it’s hard to envision Houston not making the cut, especially if we’re talking about “clusters”, & when Houston is such a big soccer market (moreso than Dallas), & we already have other huge markets that said no from the start like Chicago, & other big markets like Detroit & Minneapolis also not on the list. Plus, Texas has grown significantly since the last time the WC was in the U.S.  

And lol, Las Vegas withdrew because the cost would be ‘too steep’? From what I read in another article, it seemed that they just got cut, along with Tampa, Charlotte & SLC in the last elimination round.

If there’s a city that could afford a little party like WC matches, it’s Sin City. But yet they wanted to go rogue for the 2020 Olympics a few years back! :lol:

Yet that would be another reason why I can’t envision Houston not being on the 2026 WC roster. FIFA would surely want as many big markets as they can get. 

• Like 1

#1 -  People, I edited my list after I realized that LV and Columbus weren't in the final cut.  

#2 - It's really odd that both LV and Orlando-- major convention cities -- were and might be cut.  They have lots of mid- to lower-priced hotel rooms for the budget local & foreign fans -- unless of course, the Org Committee determines pricing of lodging -- and/or AirB&B becomes a major sponsor.  But I think many fans will trash AirB&B accommodations.  What recourse do homeowners to go after fans who will be gone after a few days-- not unless the deposits are huge and/or AirB&B will cover damages?  

Munich, as far as why I picked Atlanta over Dallas for one semi?  Atlanta has a more va-voom stadium and I think it's a more interesting city than Dallas.  Also, Atlanta's summer humidity is more bearable than Dallas' oppressive, equally humid summer heat.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 months later...

I heard news this week as Vancouver is now joining replacing Montreal as a candidate host city for Canada.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4642217/vancouver-replaces-montreal-as-proposed-canada-2026-world-cup-site

Its a condition of Edmonton getting provincial funding. Has to host the knock-out stage matches and 5 matches total. Not a chance in hell Canada will go with 3 cities and have only 2 matches in either our 1st or 3rd city and 3 matches in the other and let the second city of Alberta take all the major matches.

But the agreed-upon, established formula is 10 games each for Canada and Mexico, and the remaining 60 games will be staged in the US.  So with 3 cities, only ONE (Mex or Canuck) will get 4 games--all things being equal.  So whomever wrote that "provincial funding" requirements made sure that it will NOT be met -- and therefore there will be no funding WHATSOEVER from the provinces??  Why didn't they just declare from the start -- we're NOT financing this, rather than this ridiculous, arcane condition?? 

Good job, Canada!  So much for "United."  :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 4/26/2022 at 4:22 PM, Faster said:

Canada's plan was only ever 2 venues. Especially after Montreal and Vancouver dropped out. 

It was suppose to be 2 in Canada, 11 in the USA and 3 in Mexico for 16 total.

Well, now it's back to 3 -- so there is a certain balance in the bid.  What will Alberta do now?  

18 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, now it's back to 3 -- so there is a certain balance in the bid.  What will Alberta do now?  

It is still gonna be 2. Its just like the current US situation where FIFA has yet to winnow the list down to 11 cities. The decision will come in May like with the US. I anticipate Vancouver and Toronto being selected. They have better more modern stadiums, they are larger cities. Have better international connections and are closer to other American hosts.

Only way Canada will us all 3 is if FIFA changes the match distribution. 

39 minutes ago, Faster said:

It is still gonna be 2. Its just like the current US situation where FIFA has yet to winnow the list down to 11 cities. The decision will come in May like with the US. I anticipate Vancouver and Toronto being selected. They have better more modern stadiums, they are larger cities. Have better international connections and are closer to other American hosts.

Only way Canada will us all 3 is if FIFA changes the match distribution. 

But with, what? - 5 games each in T and V, the Canadian matches would then have to start earlier since the turf will be roughed up more times than the US and Mexican venues -- giving the field more time to recuperate?