FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

Infantino certainly is no Blatter when it comes to joint bids. At least the United States should've gotten this in 2022 because it was time to return to North American after 1994. Without a doubt FIFA knows what a marketing goldmine and the pre-existing gleaming stadiums would mean minimal costs the USA, Canada, and Mexico would provide. Let's not forget the 1994 Final and the Opening game were smack dab in the North American afternoon for the European TV primetime. Possible those times can be pushed up closer to what Brazil had four years ago in both to be firmer in that European primetime segment.

Really glad this would, for its issues involving Vancouver, benefit Canada because it assures at least a second World Cup appearance for it since 1986 (and generations of Canadian international competition WC chances wasted since) at a time when it's better developed there with three MLS teams and a new Canadian Premier League forming with teams across the nation. Not to mention the Canadian women being a serious top contender and the success of the 2015 tournament there. That said, the pressure's on for Canada Soccer to make sure the men qualify for Qatar to get this new generation some meaningful World Cup playing experience for the 2026 target. Could be set back if they don't and be deer caught in the headlights.

My primary question becomes how will the three nations, in a 48-team field, be allotted into the groups. Hosts nations since 2006 automatically get Group A when it was previously the defending champs. Will it be based on FIFA Rankings among the three as to who gets them? Don't think Canada will get to appear in Group A. Maybe with its bulk in stadiums, the gravitas, and the majority of games based there the USA gets that. My guess they will each get in the first three groups. Heard there was some talk the three co-hosts will also play in the opening day each having a game. Someone like Christian Pulisic for the USA will be entering his prime by then and hopefully be a bonafide star.   

It once would have seemed preposterous for the USA to host one World Cup, if you had said they would host two, then people might have started questioning your sense of reality. 1994 was truly special, and I (admittedly biased) think it was the greatest month in our nation's sporting history. I can't even comprehend what the next eight years will be like, but it will blow 1994 out of the water. It will be a lot of fun sharing the party with our friends and neighbors to the north and south and together we will put on a spectacular event.

If you have noticed during the bid voting in Moscow, there are various reasons why Alphonso Davies was in Moscow repping for Canada Soccer and making a stump speech for the North American United 2026 bid. One of which is that Davies, currently 17, represents the hope years down the road and is expected to be the primary Canada Soccer talisman with some promising young talent. He should be entering his prime come 2026 just like his equally highly-touted budding American star counterpart south of the border in Christian Pulisic, who should be getting excited and prepared to play right now in Russia in his first World Cup instead of getting sidelined. Canada should be better prepared than for the World Cup than ever before by then. Davies' impressive play at last year's Copa America surely ignited lots of excitement for Team Canada for the near future and something to build upon in the coming years. Surely Canada Soccer is installing a plan to surround him with some promising young and slightly older Canadian soccer talent around him to turn Canada into more of a major international soccer force. Davies can hopefully take his game to a more challenging level after the Vancouver Whitecaps in his pro career to take his talents to a more challenging overseas league and thrive. A Davies-Pulisic international soccer rivalry would be something fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I am still confused if the new NFL stadium in inglewood is going to host any games, it will be the best stadium in the country at that point, and will host LA2028 football games, however i dont see it on the list (i agree that MetLife should host the finals since LA hosted in 94)

A soccer test event would be useful at Inglewood after it opens just to give FIFA something to go on. Maybe Kreonke getting Arsenal over for a preseason friendly or something.

From what I've seen I think LV's new stadium might actually suit soccer better. But as the two newest, both should certainly be considered.

• 6 months later...

Today's MLS Cup in Seattle had an attendance of 69,274, which makes it the highest attended sporting event in the city's history.

EJCfNq5UcAA2uj1.jpg

I still don't think this world cup is a good idea because of the logistics for visiting fans, but it's at least clear that the sport itself will be much better supported in 2026 than it was in 1994. The talk in town now is whether Luis Suarez might join our team in a couple of years, whereas I think 99% of Americans in the 1990's couldn't name any soccer players other than Pele and David Beckham.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Texas said:

One thing about a USA 2026 bid is for certain......there will not be any white elephant stadiums when all is said and done. 

Not really a bid anymore considering they have officially been named as host.  And don't forget Canada and Mexico.. this isn't just a USA 2026 World Cup.

Only 10 cities in the United States are going to get to host.  Which means there's going to be more than a few very deserving cities left out.  There's no possibility for any white elephants because nothing new will have to be built.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Since I am Canadian, I can't wait until the 2026 FIFA World Cup comes to Canada personally myself.

Pros outweigh cons here, people:

- Improved infrastructure.
- Team automatically qualifies for World Cup especially if you are Canada, USA or Mexico
- Getting revenues in form of tickets sold, merchandise, selling TV rights, etc.
- Give other countries' national teams a chance to shine on the world stage. Like really where can you go wrong?
- Chance of home fans meeting global superstars face to face
- Increase awareness about the game in general public here in Canada especially.
- Tourism, as fans from 47 other countries visit here to watch WC.

- What’s more, it will be easier to advance to the knockout rounds with two teams in every three-team group advancing to the round of 32 (as opposed to two of four teams in each group advancing to a round of 16). And with more emphasis on the results of one game—in a sport where crazy bounces, fluke goals and bad officiating often decide games—it could also be easier for the U.S. or Mexico to advance deeper in the knockout rounds against easier teams than they faced before.

- If you’re a country that has never made it to the World Cup before—and there are plenty of nations in this group—your chances of qualifying just increased immensely. That is no small thing as the world’s game becomes increasingly global. In general, inclusion is a better thing than exclusion.

Despite having a bigger tournament, it won’t take any more days to complete. The 48-team World Cup in 2026 will last 32 days, just as many as the 32 days it will take with 32 teams at Russia 2018. The tournament winner will still play seven games, no more than is currently the case, so I don’t totally understand people saying that the new format will put more wear and tear on players. It won't really.

• 1 year later...

Great article on all the pros, cons, vagueries of selecting the final 16 venues for United WC 2026.  Apparently, Montreal, the bankrupt queen city of the Olympics, bowed out due to costs (as are Chicago and Vancouver).   So it looks like only Toronto and Edmonton will host Canadian matches.  Boring already.  

Breaking down the great race to host 2026 FIFA World Cup matches | MLSSoccer.com 

28 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

No surprise here. The Rose Bowl, while iconic, is dilapidated. It lacks the modern amenities needed for elite events. It hasn't hosted a Super Bowl since 1993 and if you can't host a Super Bowl, then forget WC matches. I'd argue not only will SoFi Stadium be a WC host, it is likely the leading contender for the final.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stryker said:

No surprise here. The Rose Bowl, while iconic, is dilapidated. It lacks the modern amenities needed for elite events. It hasn't hosted a Super Bowl since 1993 and if you can't host a Super Bowl, then forget WC matches. I'd argue not only will SoFi Stadium be a WC host, it is likely the leading contender for the final.

Absolutely agree.

7 hours ago, stryker said:

I would be surprised if this 5 billion dollar masterpiece (almost a third of the cost of rio 2016 olympics) wasn't elected in favour of an old strangely shaped field as the rose bowl. Wish and hope for the 2026 world cup to be an interntational success, and set high expectations for the LA 2028 olympics, such as brazil in 2014 or usa in 1994. Now the only important question for the organizers of the world cup is where will the final be, NYC or dallas?

1 hour ago, Chris_Mex said:

Now the only important question for the organizers of the world cup is where will the final be, NYC or dallas?

I hope they‘re going nowhere near The Handmaid‘s State. Though after Qatar and with all the Saudi connections in Infantinoland, it would be a perfect match.

11 hours ago, stryker said:

The Rose Bowl hasn't had a Super Bowl because LA was without pro football after 1994 for 2 decades, so there was no one to back the effort to put a game there.

This isn't even a debate IMO.  SoFi will 100% be a host city.  Will finish with nothing less than a semifinal, although I still like MetLife Stadium for the final (not that I'm biased or anything) in part so they can start the game earlier in the day and make it more friendly for European TV.  Tougher to do that if they're in LA for the final

3 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

I would be surprised if this 5 billion dollar masterpiece (almost a third of the cost of rio 2016 olympics) wasn't elected in favour of an old strangely shaped field as the rose bowl. Wish and hope for the 2026 world cup to be an interntational success, and set high expectations for the LA 2028 olympics, such as brazil in 2014 or usa in 1994. Now the only important question for the organizers of the world cup is where will the final be, NYC or dallas?

The format still concerns me because there will be a lot of teams with a long stretch between games.  There's not a doubt in my mind the tournament will set all sorts of attendance records that won't be beat for a long time to come.  The popularity of the sport in the United States now compared to what it was in 1994 is night and day.  

Think we need to see a few test events before being certain. It's an impressive facility but it's an NFL facility. Unlike the other new stadium in LV, I've not heard or seen anything about its capability as a soccer stadium, how it'll convert. Are the corner seats retractable, how are the sightlines particularly up in those really high seats for soccer?

I'm sure it'll get games, but I wouldn't want to propose it for the final until such questions are answered.

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

Think we need to see a few test events before being certain. It's an impressive facility but it's an NFL facility. Unlike the other new stadium in LV, I've not heard or seen anything about its capability as a soccer stadium, how it'll convert. Are the corner seats retractable, how are the sightlines particularly up in those really high seats for soccer?

I'm sure it'll get games, but I wouldn't want to propose it for the final until such questions are answered.

I don't know the specs but it was designed to host international football. Given that the stadium is owned by the Rams' Stan  Kroenke who also owns Arsenal, I would guess that SoFi Stadium is more than adequate.

I'm sure Jerry Jones who owns the world's most valuable sports franchise in the Dallas Cowboys will push for the final to be held at his palace but Dallas just isn't the type of flashy cosmopolitan city that FIFA will want for a final. I'd say either Los Angeles or New York gets the final. Dallas probably gets a semifinal or the third place game.

My guess is that the 4 or 5 finalists (to at least host the semi-finals and the finals are)

- Meadowlands, NY/NJ
- Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta
- Raiders Stadium in LVS 

- either SoFi or Rose Bowl in LA.  

At least 2 of the final stadia will be roofed but supposedly, they are ready to change those to natural turf.  

• 3 months later...

Here the possible logo that i found on Instagram that U.S. Soccer Indonesia posted and then i snipped it to cut some of the image editing pices off. I think that's a possible design. What do you think?

FJQQbD-UUAALnCL?format=png&name=small

This could be the second FIFA World Cup to use that visual identity after the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.