FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Sure it is.  And there's no possible way this post could have implied that LA would lose 2024, not return for 2028, thus leaving the door open for Toronto.  You can go off on FYI for selective reading, but you can't deny that you said this and expect the rest of us to know what you were talking about.  Common sense doesn't always apply on these boards.

I'm also sure that I've said a L.A vs Toronto bid would be interesting to compare both cities. L.A not returning for 2028 was said by the L.A organizers themselves, so I wasn't speculating, merely quoting them, thus L.A not being awarded 2028 outright would open the door to Toronto. That's just logic and a no brainer

You're taking 1 single post without the rest of the context...

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm also sure that I've said a L.A vs Toronto bid would be interesting to compare both cities. L.A not returning for 2028 was said by the L.A organizers themselves, so I wasn't speculating, merely quoting them, thus L.A not being awarded 2028 outright would open the door to Toronto. That's just logic and a no brainer

You're taking 1 single post without the rest of the context...

sure-sure-whatever.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

WOW! Watch out for Toronto doesn't mean Toronto WILL bid. It meant to be "Toronto MIGHT bid 2028" Now you're just nitpicking.

But you DID say WILL. You said - "Toronto 'will'challenge 2028, watch out! :)

That doesn't suggest "might" or "possibility". It demonstrates more of a certainty. And if it was more of a passive thought that you're saying now that it is, then you wouldn't have said it in the first place. Especially after the rest of the bombastic claims that followed after that. And I'm not nitpicking anymore than you are.

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

We're already ahead of L.A in transit.

Then it would be an easier endeavor for Toronto to bid at the same time than it is for L.A.

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

One of the major reason 2008 bid failed was due to that, it's technically a very young and new city entirely. The 2008 bid failure was studied and a report highlighted how much Toronto wanted to use the games to further build itself up and accelerate it's growth rather than showing what the city could offer to the Olympic movement...in a nutshell. This was addressed for the 2015 Pan Am games showing a glimpse of what Toronto can do.

Toronto lost 2008 bcuz it was simply 1/5 of humanity's turn, aka China, plain & simple. And no amount of study done on Toronto's part after the fact is going to reflect on that. The margin of loss was too great to simply dismiss the failure bcuz Toronto was a very young & new city entirely.

And as a matter of fact, back in 2001 for the 2008 race, many in the Toronto camp would argue that those attributes were actually a plus for the city's bid. Plus, let's not forget that Atlanta, speaking of other very young & new cities entirely, was able to pull off the nearly impossible, & clench an Olympic Games (a race where Toronto was also competing against). So no, I don't buy into that argument, especially when many cities beforehand have used the Olympic Games to catapult their city's infrastructure, i.e. Barcelona, Sydney, Athens, & even Beijing did a massive makeover.

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

That doesn't suggest "might" or "possibility". It demonstrates more of a certainty. And if it was more of a passive thought that you're saying now that it is, then you wouldn't have said it in the first place. Especially after the rest of the bombastic claims that followed after that. And I'm not nitpicking anymore than you are.

Nagging is highly unattractive... just saying

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

Then it would be an easier endeavor for Toronto to bid at the same time than it is for L.A.

Toronto won't get the chance if L.A are given 2028 since there won't be a bidding process

6 minutes ago, FYI said:

Toronto lost 2008 bcuz it was simply 1/5 of humanity's turn, aka China, plain & simple. And no amount of study done on Toronto's part after the fact is going to reflect on that. The margin of loss was too great to simply dismiss the failure bcuz Toronto was a very young & new city entirely.

Yes, you're more of an expert than those who did the report...Ok and I see you clearly missed the part where I highlighted the core of why Toronto's bid was bad.

8 minutes ago, FYI said:

And as a matter of fact, back in 2001 for the 2008 race, many in the Toronto camp would argue that those attributes were actually a plus for the city's bid.

They were obviously wrong and were humbled, rightfully so. Some of them were idiots starting by then mayor Mel Lastman

9 minutes ago, FYI said:

Plus, let's not forget that Atlanta, speaking of other very young & new cities entirely, was able to pull off the nearly impossible, & clench an Olympic Games (a race where Toronto was also competing against).

90s Toronto was behind Montreal in many regards. Granted I lived in Montreal at the time but no one believed they stood a chance back then. Toronto was way too small with no identity or a clue with what to do with themselves

10 minutes ago, FYI said:

So no, I don't buy into that argument, especially when many cities beforehand have used the Olympic Games to catapult their city's infrastructure, i.e. Barcelona, Sydney, Athens, & even Beijing did a massive makeover.

Outside of perhaps Beijing, those city were already established. Granted they doubled down thanks to the Olympics, Toronto was nowhere near those cities in term of notoriety, history, importance and infrastructure. Montreal was by far the most famous Canadian city circa the 1996 bid era. So yes, Toronto wasn't ready for such an event from a city planning point of view and on top of that, their bids were done badly. I personally never believed they stood a chance against Beijing who virtually had unlimited funds, which Toronto didn't have. The report was meant to see why Toronto's bid was bad which is a big reason why they lost.

48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Nagging is highly unattractive... just saying.

Then stop nagging. :P

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yes, you're more of an expert than those who did the report...Ok and I see you clearly missed the part where I highlighted the core of why Toronto's bid was bad.

Those who did the report aren't the IOC members that voted for Beijing, so I would consider them to be the far more experts. 

And no, I didn't miss anything, but whatever the report says is irrelevant, since it's just "highligting" reasons in *hindsight* as to why the bid lost, & probably to justify in a way the amount of money spent on a failed bid to their constituents.

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They were obviously wrong and were humbled, rightfully so. Some of them were idiots starting by then mayor Mel Lastman.

They didn't think that they were wrong back then, & they certainly were far from humble. And I'm not talking about Lastman or other public figures, but the overzealous canadian posters on these boards back then.

36 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Outside of perhaps Beijing, those city were already established. Granted they doubled down thanks to the Olympics, Toronto was nowhere near those cities in term of notoriety, history, importance and infrastructure. 

Barcelona & Atlanta weren't. For those two cities, especially Barcelona, it was the Olympics that put them on the map. And again, a trip back to 2001 on these boards, one would've thought that Toronto was the capital of the world if one was to believe everything they were reading.

45 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I personally never believed they stood a chance against Beijing who virtually had unlimited funds, which Toronto didn't have. The report was meant to see why Toronto's bid was bad which is a big reason why they lost.

Right, I bet your tune was quite different, along with the rest of the canadian's, back then, that "Toronto has the superior bid" & why would the IOC want to go to a "cesspool like Beijing". But hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it.

56 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Toronto won't get the chance if L.A is given 2028 since there won't be a bidding process.

Well, DUH, that goes without saying. But that's precisely what you were refuting before, that the "possibility" of L.A. being given 2028 now was non-existant bcuz the IOC wouldn't do that bcuz of blah & bcuz of more blah. But now that an unprecedented exploratory committee has been launched to look into exactly just that, you've dramatcally changed your tune (which looks like to be a common theme of yours).

^It's the general consesus that the Olympics is what brought Barcelona to the world stage. It was an industrial backwater before 1986 (when they won the 1992 bid). Now Barcelona has even overtaken Madrid, as far as attracting more tourists.

Which is why for more than a decade, Madrid was so eager to stage an Olympics of their own (with three failed bid attempts), so they could get back some of their flare that their Catalonian neighbors took away from them. It's also been the topic of debate here before. 

If you want to disagree, go right ahead. But CITE your reasons, like a mature individual, instead of resorting to "childish" (as you've called them before) & meaningless, empty memes. Cuz that does nothing for your credibilty (which you have very, very little ofTBW), & furthers YOUR "ignorance".

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

It's the general consesus that the Olympics is what brought Barcelona to the world stage. It was an industrial backwater before 1986 (when they won the 1992 bid). Now Barcelona has even overtaken Madrid, as far as attracting more tourists.

I encourage you to read and educate yourself more on Europe before making uneducated assumptions just to try to win a pointless argument. Have you even been to Spain? Let alone read anything about it's history? Reducing hundreds of years of Barcelona's history into "an industrial backwater" is sheer ignorance and vexing.

12 minutes ago, FYI said:

^It's the general consesus that the Olympics is what brought Barcelona to the world stage. It was an industrial backwater before 1986 (when they won the 1992 bid). Now Barcelona has even overtaken Madrid, as far as attracting more tourists.

Which is why for more than a decade, Madrid was so eager to stage an Olympics of their own (with three failed bid attempts), so they could get back some of their flare that their Catalonian neighbors took away from them. It's also been the topic of debate here before. 

If you want to disagree, go right ahead. But CITE your reasons, like a mature individual, instead of resorting to "childish" (as you've called them before) & meaningless, empty memes. Cuz that does nothing for your credibilty (which you have very, very little ofTBW), & furthers YOUR "ignorance".

There's more to life than "Olympics". As for me citing reasons why you're dead wrong (ignorant really), I suggest you try a book...wikipedia isn't a bad place to start.

For those who are so "ignorant", here's a little Olympic lesson: 

http://www.barcelonaconnect.com/barcelonas-olympic-transformation/

https://www.olympic.org/news/barcelona-totally-transformed-by-hosting-1992-olympic-games

Plus, Barcelona is usually a narrative that many prospective bidding cities, including Toronto, have used when it comes to wanting to place an Olympic bid. 

4 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

I encourage you to read and educate yourself more on Europe before making uneducated assumptions just to try to win a pointless argument. Have you even been to Spain? Let alone read anything about it's history? Reducing hundreds of years of Barcelona's history into "an industrial backwater" is sheer ignorance and vexing.

Pfft, who the hell are you, Read the post above, one of the links there is even from the IOC website itself, where even Barcelona's mayor himself contributes Barcelona's modern day success to the 1992 Olympics. So perhaps you want to redirect your hostility about "reducing hundreds of years of Barcelona's history" to their mayor instead. The only "pointless" thing here is your pointless, snarky post. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

Not hundreds of years.. how about 4 decades during the Franco regime.  I doubt FYI is ignoring the history from before then, but by the 1980's, that's how Barcelona was perceived.  The combination of emerging out of that era and the transformation to the city that occurred as a result of the Olympics turned Barcelona into 1 of the better tourist destinations in Europe.  That likely doesn't happen without the Olympics, let alone showing the city off to the world.  So yes, at the time Barcelona was bidding for the Olympics, the term "industrial backwater" is exactly what it was.

And yes, I have been to Barcelona.  Instantly became 1 of my favorite cities in the world.  Very unlikely that happens if they didn't get the `92 Olympics and all that brought the city.

• Like 1

How The Olympic Games Changed Barcelona Forever

The city had become an industrial backwater under the long rule of General Franco, who was perhaps angry at the city's Catalan population for its resistance during the Spanish Civil War.

And you'll find plenty of articles and stories that view it the same way.  So this hardly 1 outsider's opinion where no one would agree with him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

There's more to life than "Olympics". As for me citing reasons why you're dead wrong (ignorant really), I suggest you try a book...wikipedia isn't a bad place to start.

Taking any sort of suggestion from you is what would be "dead wrong". 

This is what's wrong with forums like these. Again, instead of offering up INTELLECTUAL reasoning to disagree, you merely resort to a CHEAP & childish shot (once again). That once you get proven wrong from all your senseless diatribe & can no longer refute any of your twaddle, you then resort to insults & personal attacks. It's also a trait that Truff excercises over in the L.A. (you two must really be related somehow). 

But if you want to continue demonstrating how much of a petty & smug ASS(inine) you really are, then be my guest.

11 minutes ago, FYI said:

Pfft, who the hell are you, Read the post above, one of the links there is even from the IOC website itself, where even Barcelona's mayor himself contributes Barcelona's modern day success to the 1992 Olympics. So perhaps you want to redirect your hostility about "reducing hundreds of years of Barcelona's history" to their mayor instead. The only "pointless" thing here is your pointless, snarky post. :rolleyes:

You're links came after you made your statement. Best to give more context to what you're trying to say in the future, it leaves a lot to interpretation when you don't. Just an advice

10 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Not hundreds of years.. how about 4 decades during the Franco regime.  I doubt FYI is ignoring the history from before then, but by the 1980's, that's how Barcelona was perceived.  The combination of emerging out of that era and the transformation to the city that occurred as a result of the Olympics turned Barcelona into 1 of the better tourist destinations in Europe.  That likely doesn't happen without the Olympics, let alone showing the city off to the world.  So yes, at the time Barcelona was bidding for the Olympics, the term "industrial backwater" is exactly what it was.

And yes, I have been to Barcelona.  Instantly became 1 of my favorite cities in the world.  Very unlikely that happens if they didn't get the `92 Olympics and all that brought the city.

see post above

Can we go back to the World Cup and football?

1 minute ago, Mack_king said:

see post above

Can we go back to the World Cup and football?

You and Ansem both decided to make a big deal out of FYI referring to Barcelona as an industrial backwater.  He's not wrong, IMO.  If you need more context to his posts, then ask for it rather than to call him out for making such a statement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

You and Ansem both decided to make a big deal out of FYI referring to Barcelona as an industrial backwater.  He's not wrong, IMO.  If you need more context to his posts, then ask for it rather than to call him out for making such a statement.

What is it with you two?

First of all, you two are clearly off topic and hijacking this thread to belittle another person regarding another topic from another thread. Why not messaging that person to join you on the other thread instead of having petty exchanges here in a thread that has nothing to do with the World Cup?

Second, FYI made a very incomplete statement which is still wrong due to lack of context. Did Barcelona had to go through rougher parts of their history? Of course but which city didn't? Even London did. Was Barcelona always a touristic destination? No it wasn't. Did the Olympic changed Barcelona forever? Absolutely. This is what I mean by context which opens the door to people challenges if there are none. If Barcelona wasn't on the map then no one knew Atlanta before the Olympics out side of America. Barcelona might not have been on the map for Americans, but it was for Europe.

So we established that FYI was right within the appropriate context and not in general. Is that good? Can we stop now and go back on topic?

Thank you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mack_king said:

What is it with you two?

First of all, you two are clearly off topic and hijacking this thread to belittle another person regarding another topic from another thread. Why not messaging that person to join you on the other thread instead of having petty exchanges here in a thread that has nothing to do with the World Cup?

Second, FYI made a very incomplete statement which is still wrong due to lack of context. Did Barcelona had to go through rougher parts of their history? Of course but which city didn't? Even London did. Was Barcelona always a touristic destination? No it wasn't. Did the Olympic changed Barcelona forever? Absolutely. This is what I mean by context which opens the door to people challenges if there are none. If Barcelona wasn't on the map then no one knew Atlanta before the Olympics out side of America. Barcelona might not have been on the map for Americans, but it was for Europe.

So we established that FYI was right within the appropriate context and not in general. Is that good? Can we stop now and go back on topic?

Thank you

I'll stay on topic

Seriously, UK should bid for 2030. What's your take on the 2026 World Cup format?

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'll stay on topic

Seriously, UK should bid for 2030. What's your take on the 2026 World Cup format?

I actually read most of the entire thread. I was convince the USA would win it, there was no doubt in my mind. I saw your case for Canada and despite making very good arguments, the US were still the clear favorites to get the tournament as soon as it got expanded. You made the case that Canada was capable of hosting a regular World Cup, but not the expanded version of the tournament, which is why I believe Canada took the 10 games. The next time should be Canada's turn as I doubt either Mexico and America will win a third World Cup.

Mexicans should just be grateful to get 10 games to begin with. They were delusional to ever think they would get to host for a third time, and eventually, they came to their senses and took the 10 games.

The logistics explains why America gets all the games past the round of 16. You can't expect a team winning a semi-final to be forced to fly 4+ hours to make it to the finals.

If the opening ceremony is in the United States, then it should be a US World Cup and not a CONCACAF World Cup. Opening and closing Ceremonies should be split in my opinion.

Should have been a US-Canada bid only as their cities are near the border. I don't get Mexico being part of it.

I think 48 teams is a stupid idea, let alone 16 groups of 3 teams. It should have stayed at the current format.

Yes we should bid for 2030 only if FIFA doesn't make a big deal about the Centennial, it's too soon to say

51 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

What is it with you two?

Do you know how many times Assinine (aka Ansem) "hijacked" the L.A. 2024 thread with FIFA 2026 crapola? Plenty!

In case you haven't noticed, since you're NEW here & all, but topics often times drift around here cuz that's the nature of this website. So you better get use to that if you're gonna be sticking around (but considering your argumentative first impression, I hope that you don't).

And "belittling"?! If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black! 

58 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

Fine, according to you, I needed more "context" (since both you & Assinine are new here & didn't understand my point without having to write an essay on European hiatory & all). But you didn't need to intitally be a "belittling", condescending pr!ck about it, either.