FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's extreme but we have no choice. The CSA & USSF association has been a failure of epic proportion for Canada.

This bad? Why is that?

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

Right now, MLS is a huge obstacle to CPL reaching its potential as they are initially competing against MLS in the 3 biggest markets. However, Victor Montagliani already threatened MLS last year to strip them of the CSA sanction which would ban the league from Canada.

When's the league starting? Will it be like MLS or like Europe? Pro/Rel? Level of play?

11 hours ago, dave199 said:

This does give us a reason to build a new stadium that can be used as the centre piece for a 2028 Olympics as the article stated. I imagine those groups who previously tried to secure an NFL team a couple years ago would go at it again if stadium plans begin. It's all speculation now.

I doubt that Toronto is an "American Football" market to be honest. The NFL series was considered a failure and even the Grey Cup last year was sold out mostly by fans from other provinces. No one cares about the Argonauts either. With the Maples Leafs set to become the next superpower of the NHL and the Raptors being an elite team, I just don't see the NFL being that big of a draw.

Hamilton loves the CFL and Southern Ontario is too close to Buffalo. As long as Buffalo exists, it will never happen.

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If Toronto is to bid for the 2028 Olympics, that effort would need to begin in 2019.  Not sure how they'd want to work that to propose a stadium that Toronto probably would not need without an Olympic bid.  They can probably change around cities after the fact, but tread carefully with that one.

I have doubt Toronto will bid. Transit is the #1 priority and the region is going through a public transit renaissance that will make the GTA have a system comparable to Paris and London. The TTC alone have $33B of subway and LRT projects. I changed my mind on the Olympics and it's not a priority right now.

However, next time it's North America's turn for summer games (2040s), Toronto will be a clear favorite. Same for next time it's CONCACAF turn to host a World Cup (2042-2046), Canada will be a favorite.

25 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

This bad? Why is that?

The CSA gave MLS its sanctioning to operate out of Toronto and later Montreal & Vancouver with the understanding that it would be mutual beneficial. 8 years later, less than 5% of the league are Canadians and they aren't considered "domestic players" in MLS but counts as International players. MLS would allow Canadians to be considered as domestic in Canadian clubs but Americans had to count as domestic as well in Canada. The CSA wanted both Canadians and Americans to be considered as domestics but MLS refuses citing American labor laws. NASL (their 2nd division) made Canadians domestic across the board which demolished MLS excuse.

Also, the last Canadian coach expressed his frustration at MLS teams often refusing to release players for call ups from Canada to hold practices and sometime participating in major tournaments, which weakens the team.

The Canadian program took a huge step back since the MLS partnership which produced so little talent. Our best players are Hutchinson (Besiktas), Arfield (Burnley), Larin (Orlando) and Hoillett (Cardiff City). So the CSA under Montagliani are cutting off the USSF from Canada, level by level starting with D3 and now D1. They suspended the sanctioning of USSF bids to expand in Canada

25 minutes ago, Mack_king said:

When's the league starting? Will it be like MLS or like Europe? Pro/Rel? Level of play?

We'll know more next month. The CSA will sanction the CPL "Canadian Premier League" next month. It should start in 2018 in a shorten season right after Russia 2018 with the "original 6" teams. 2019 will be the first full length season expected to have 8-10 teams. The goal is 16 teams by 2028.

It will be most likely a single-entity league with no pro/Rel at first but the door is open down the road.

Level of play at first is expected to be the 4th best in CONCACAF at kick off surpassing NASL. The goal is to surpass Costa Rica and meet MLS and Ascenso MX at number 2. When the 3 MLS Canadian clubs join CPL, there`s no doubt that we`ll meet that goal.

Today CONCACAF top leagues

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2016/7/27/12209088/2016-rankings-best-top-club-soccer-leagues-in-concacaf-mls-liga-mx

1-Liga MX, Mexico

T2-Ascenso MX, Mexico

T2-MLS, United States

4-Primera Division, Costa Rica

5-North American Soccer League, United States

2018-2019

1-Liga MX, Mexico

T2-Ascenso MX, Mexico

T2-MLS, United States

5-Canadian Premier League, Canada

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I have doubt Toronto will bid. Transit is the #1 priority and the region is going through a public transit renaissance that will make the GTA have a system comparable to Paris and London. The TTC alone have $33B of subway and LRT projects. I changed my mind on the Olympics and it's not a priority right now.

However, next time it's North America's turn for summer games (2040s), Toronto will be a clear favorite. Same for next time it's CONCACAF turn to host a World Cup (2042-2046), Canada will be a favorite.

5tgrw.jpgWhat happened to all the adament - "watch out for Toronto for 2028" spiel! :blink:All those projects you're talking about didn't spring up overnight. This is the second remarkable 360 in the same morning on these boards! :huh:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FYI said:

What happened to all the adament - "watch out for Toronto for 2028" spiel

I know you only read what you wanted to read. Toronto was always a "possibility", not a "certainty"

those projects you're talking about didn't spring up overnight.

The projects, no. The mean to pay for them, yes since the last federal budget highlighting the creation on the infrastructure bank. I don't see how Toronto would justify an Olympic bid when the city will be spending billions within the next decade to build subways and LRT. Now's not the time for games.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I have doubt Toronto will bid. Transit is the #1 priority and the region is going through a public transit renaissance that will make the GTA have a system comparable to Paris and London. The TTC alone have $33B of subway and LRT projects. I changed my mind on the Olympics and it's not a priority right now.

1485041745474.jpg

Good to know you can predict the future.  If LA gets 2028, it will have been 32 years between Summer Olympics in North America.  So to say it's North America's turn again less than 20 years later seems a little ambitious.  Tough to tell if the timing will be right for Canada and Toronto in that regard.  Ditto for the World Cup.  How much would a 2026 World Cup, partially in Canada, affect their future aspirations at hosting?  Thanks for a total lack of objectivity here.  I think you know that, so maybe you're not the right person to be making statements about Canada being a favorite for anything.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2016/7/27/12209088/2016-rankings-best-top-club-soccer-leagues-in-concacaf-mls-liga-mx

1-Liga MX, Mexico

T2-Ascenso MX, Mexico

T2-MLS, United States

2018-2019

1-Liga MX, Mexico

T2-Ascenso MX, Mexico

T2-MLS, United States

8100bc0d1eacae99e373e5f33d089e1a_are-you

I love how there's this assumption from you that the CPL is going to start up and have instant credibility.  Again, maybe we should wait and see how things go before we start declaring the CPL to be a top league.  It took the MLS years to build themselves up to respectability, and even now, it's often still an afterthought.  There is no guarantee they'll be a hit from the start.  It's laughable you continue to put Canada up on a pedestal.  Again, a little objectivity would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

The CSA gave MLS its sanctioning to operate out of Toronto and later Montreal & Vancouver with the understanding that it would be mutual beneficial. 8 years later, less than 5% of the league are Canadians and they aren't considered "domestic players" in MLS but counts as International players. MLS would allow Canadians to be considered as domestic in Canadian clubs but Americans had to count as domestic as well in Canada. The CSA wanted both Canadians and Americans to be considered as domestics but MLS refuses citing American labor laws. NASL (their 2nd division) made Canadians domestic across the board which demolished MLS excuse.

Also, the last Canadian coach expressed his frustration at MLS teams often refusing to release players for call ups from Canada to hold practices and sometime participating in major tournaments, which weakens the team.

The Canadian program took a huge step back since the MLS partnership which produced so little talent. Our best players are Hutchinson (Besiktas), Arfield (Burnley), Larin (Orlando) and Hoillett (Cardiff City). So the CSA under Montagliani are cutting off the USSF from Canada, level by level starting with D3 and now D1. They suspended the sanctioning of USSF bids to expand in Canada

Brutal! Even England would have failed in a system like that. Arfield has been great for Burnley and Hoilett used to play for Queen's Park Rangers. All great talents and off course Hutchinson in the champions league. What's your take on Tomori? Will he sign up with Canada?

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

We'll know more next month. The CSA will sanction the CPL "Canadian Premier League" next month. It should start in 2018 in a shorten season right after Russia 2018 with the "original 6" teams. 2019 will be the first full length season expected to have 8-10 teams. The goal is 16 teams by 2028.

It will be most likely a single-entity league with no pro/Rel at first but the door is open down the road.

Level of play at first is expected to be the 4th best in CONCACAF at kick off surpassing NASL. The goal is to surpass Costa Rica and meet MLS and Ascenso MX at number 2. When the 3 MLS Canadian clubs join CPL, there`s no doubt that we`ll meet that goal.

1-Liga MX, Mexico

T2-Ascenso MX, Mexico

T2-MLS, United States

2018-2019

1-Liga MX, Mexico

T2-Ascenso MX, Mexico

T2-MLS, United States

I think only the Mexican League could keep up with Europe top leagues. All other North American leagues are usually weaker than 2nd Division leagues in Europe. A realistic goal would be to aim for English Championship level, our 2nd division. EPL is out of reach

That's why I DON'T bother with all this in-between WC stuff, despite Ansem-Phlegm's snootiness.  Why waste my 3.5 years between WC's with bush league stuff?  They all come and go!  I wait for the best every 4 years!! 

And oh yeah, Ansem, what happened to all your dreams of glory that Canada would crush the USA in the 2026 WC bid?  Alright, you can eat your Canuck fur hat with maple syrup!  LOL!!  ;)

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I know you only read what you wanted to read. Toronto was always a "possibility", not a "certainty"

No, "watch out for Toronto 2028" is not reading what I "wanted" to read, it was actually what you were saying.

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The projects, no. The mean to pay for them, yes since the last federal budget highlighting the creation on the infrastructure bank. I don't see how Toronto would justify an Olympic bid when the city will be spending billions within the next decade to build subways and LRT. Now's not the time for games.

But both Paris & L.A. are doing just that, spending billions on subways & other infrastructure improvements over the next decade, & at the same time that they're bidding for the Olympics. So why couldn't Toronto do the same?

Or could it be that now that the issue for a double 2024/2028 award is really getting a lot of traction now, & which you scoffed at before, that you've all of the sudden "changed your mind". 

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

If LA gets 2028, it will have been 32 years between Summer Olympics in North America.  So to say it's North America's turn again less than 20 years later seems a little ambitious.

I said in the 2040s not necessarily 2040 sharp.

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

How much would a 2026 World Cup, partially in Canada, affect their future aspirations at hosting

It's unlikely that FIFA would give the USA a 3rd World Cup. That's never been done, not even Italy, France, Germany or England got it 3 times. That would be Canada's 1st time.

6 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I think you know that, so maybe you're not the right person to be making statements about Canada being a favorite for anything.

It's an opinion, just like you have yours regarding the US where you clearly feels you are #1 in everything. Fine, that's your opinion, but telling a Canadian that he can't have an opinion regarding his own country is funny!

8 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I love how there's this assumption from you that the CPL is going to start up and have instant credibility.

I wasn't talking "credibility". You keep deforming what I'm writing. Are you actually reading? Credibility is earned, not given, especially in the 1st season.

10 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Again, maybe we should wait and see how things go before we start declaring the CPL to be a top league.

Financially, it will. They will be the 3rd highest payroll in CONCACAF, surpassing NASL financially. It's a reasonable assumption to say that with more money, you attract better talent.

11 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

It took the MLS years to build themselves up to respectability

Debatable

11 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

There is no guarantee they'll be a hit from the start.

During the last MLS playoffs, millions watched Montreal vs Toronto and TFC vs Seattle. The US viewership was a fraction of that with 10 time the population. CPL will be fine. 12 Canadian markets are already preparing bids while TFC owners are freaking out over a Toronto CPL team.

14 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

It's laughable you continue to put Canada up on a pedestal.  Again, a little objectivity would be appreciated.

Pedestal? Why? Because it will be #5 in term of talent and #3 in term of finance? it will be above NASL, a US Division 2 league that barely escaped bankruptcy last year and almost folded this year. That's why they lost so many teams to USL, they are unstable and folding is a matter of time. There's no pedestal here, it's coming and that's what's going to happen

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It's unlikely that FIFA would give the USA a 3rd World Cup. That's never been done, not even Italy, France, Germany or England got it 3 times. That would be Canada's 1st time.

You forgot Mexico and Brazil.  But by the 2040s, the WC would up to 72 nations.  :lol:  Can Canada handle that?  

10 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And oh yeah, Ansem, what happened to all your dreams of glory that Canada would crush the USA in the 2026 WC bid?

Shut up man. You know full well that I've never said that. My very first post was saying that Canada was also able to host and put forward a good bid. For your own amusement you twisted my words and paint me as someone who said Canada is better than everyone else.

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You forgot Mexico and Brazil.  But by the 2040s, the WC would up to 72 nations.  :lol:  Can Canada handle that?  

Brazil and Mexico only hosted twice. 2026 is clearly an American bid, I wouldn't count it as Mexico's 3rd time nor Canada's 1st time

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This is what you said back in January..

On 1/31/2017 at 1:59 PM, Ansem said:

Toronto will challenge 2028, watch out! :)

Sounds like you were treating it like more than a possibility there.  You even threw an emoji in there for us as well.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Shut up man. You know full well that I've never said that. My very first post was saying that Canada was also able to host and put forward a good bid. For your own amusement you twisted my words and paint me as someone who said Canada is better than everyone else.

U're right.  I'm sorry I exaggerated.  See, that's the perception you gave.  But the distribution of the 2026 games right now 60/10/10 does signify the relative weights of each nation -- altho I think Mexico got stiffed a little.  But for the sake and appearance of balance, they came up with that formula.  Sorry for getting carried away. 

8 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Sounds like you were treating it like more than a possibility there.  You even threw an emoji in there for us as well.

Exactly - but of course "As$inine" says now that it's what we "wanted to read". :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, FYI said:

No, "watch out for Toronto 2028" is not reading what I "wanted" to read, it was actually what you were saying.

WOW! Watch out for Toronto doesn't mean Toronto WILL bid. It meant to be "Toronto MIGHT bid 2028" Now you're just nitpicking

But both Paris & L.A. are doing just that, spending billions on subways & other infrastructure improvements over the next decade, & at the same time that they're bidding for the Olympics. So why couldn't Toronto do the same?

Toronto is a merger of it's surrounding boroughs (Scarborough, North York, York, East York and Etobicoke) since only 2001. That's where "the six" comes from. Paris situation is very different than Toronto in that regard as they have one of the oldest system in the world. Since mid 2000s, we're basically catching up to the rest of the world and trying to keep up with demand. We're already ahead of L.A in transit.

One of the major reason 2008 bid failed was due to that, it's technically a very young and new city entirely. The 2008 bid failure was studied and a report highlighted how much Toronto wanted to use the games to further build itself up and accelerate it's growth rather than showing what the city could offer to the Olympic movement...in a nutshell. This was addressed for the 2015 Pan Am games showing a glimpse of what Toronto can do.

23 minutes ago, FYI said:

Or could it be that now that the issue for a double 2024/2028 award is really getting a lot of traction now, & which you scoffed at before, that you've all of the sudden "changed your mind". 

As posted above, it's the financial climate here. The Infrastructure bank is a game changer here and transit is priority #1. They made it easier for cities to build transit. Building stadiums ahead of new subway lines would be very unpopular.

20 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Where's the part where I said that a Toronto bid would only happen if there was no Los Angeles? Great way to pick and choose quotes

22 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

U're right.  I'm sorry I exaggerated.  See, that's the perception you gave.  But the distribution of the 2026 games right now 60/10/10 does signify the relative weights of each nation -- altho I think Mexico got stiffed a little.  But for the sake and appearance of balance, they came up with that formula.  Sorry for getting carried away. 

It's alright, I'm sorry to have further aggravated you.

As for the world cup, Mexicans are pissed while Canadians have mix feelings from what I could gather so far. I think the biggest irritant is that all the games past the round of 16 are exclusively in the US. It's a US bid with Canada and Mexico support to kill any opposition from Africa. That's fine and we played our part. I don't think such a formula will happen in CONCACAF again.

• Like 1

Where's the part where I said that a Toronto bid would only happen if there was no Los Angeles? Great way to pick and choose quotes

Doesn't exist.  That's an entire post right there.  I didn't cut and paste anything there.  You didn't mention a qualifier there that you only think that's true if there's no Los Angeles.  If you want to find that quote, be my guest.  But this is pretty black and white right here, and the funny thing is that the timing of this was right around the start of Trump's presidency.  Perhaps you were hopeful that Trump's policies would spell doom for the LA bid and there would be Toronto's opening.  You're telling us you never said "Toronto will bid."  Except that you did.

It's alright, I'm sorry to have further aggravated you.

As for the world cup, Mexicans are pissed while Canadians have mix feelings from what I could gather so far. I think the biggest irritant is that all the games past the round of 16 are exclusively in the US. It's a US bid with Canada and Mexico support to kill any opposition from Africa. That's fine and we played our part. I don't think such a formula will happen in CONCACAF again.

They've also made it so big (48 teams) that only the US, China (and probably Russia again) could handle those chores by themselves.  Just saw that Argentina-Uruguay and Colombia will share this year's FIBA's Americas Cup.  So Colombia could be their 3rd partner for the 2030 bid if Chile isn't quite big enough.  

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

Doesn't exist.  That's an entire post right there.  I didn't cut and paste anything there.  You didn't mention a qualifier there that you only think that's true if there's no Los Angeles.  If you want to find that quote, be my guest.  But this is pretty black and white right here, and the funny thing is that the timing of this was right around the start of Trump's presidency.  Perhaps you were hopeful that Trump's policies would spell doom for the LA bid and there would be Toronto's opening.  You're telling us you never said "Toronto will bid."  Except that you did.

Whatever, I did say many times that a LA olympic would kill a Toronto bid. Perhaps not in the same post but I did say it and it's just common sense...really

Whatever, I did say many times that a LA olympic would kill a Toronto bid. Perhaps not in the same post but I did say it and it's just common sense...really

Sure it is.  And there's no possible way this post could have implied that LA would lose 2024, not return for 2028, thus leaving the door open for Toronto.  You can go off on FYI for selective reading, but you can't deny that you said this and expect the rest of us to know what you were talking about.  Common sense doesn't always apply on these boards.

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They've also made it so big (48 teams) that only the US, China (and probably Russia again) could handle those chores by themselves.  Just saw that Argentina-Uruguay and Colombia will share this year's FIBA's Americas Cup.  So Colombia could be their 3rd partner for the 2030 bid if Chile isn't quite big enough.  

I would have to agree with the one who said that England should bid in 2030. The only reason Uruguay-Argentina happens is if FIFA says that for "sentimental" reasons they want to go there, otherwise, a UK bid will be overkill. They would have to build lots of new stadiums

Let's look at their stadiums

Argentina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Argentina

Uruguay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Uruguay