FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They're doing this to pave the way for the joint Argentina-Uruguay-Chile bid for 2030.  That's the only way they'll get 2030 done if the 3 North American countries join up for 2026.  And the 2026 plan is also the only way to go with Mein Trumpf at the White House at least at the time of the bid.  

Is South America considered the same area as North America under FIFA rules like the IOC does, or do they rightfully separate them?

2 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Is South America considered the same area as North America under FIFA rules like the IOC does, or do they rightfully separate them?

Separate confederations. CONCACAF for North and Central America, CONMEBOL for South America.

Edited by Sir Rols

On 4/8/2017 at 3:47 AM, LatinXTC said:

Oh f**k this stupidass decision. The US DOES NOT need a joint bid with any country. With all of its 30+ NFL stadiums readily available and easily converted for a soccer game it can handle a World Cup twice its current size. If anything Canada and Mexico need each other to cut the costs of hosting the event, especially with their now expanded roster. I'm already rooting for any bid to defeat this ridiculous 3-way bid.

They actually did. Insiders said that a solo US bid would have had a harder time getting the necessary votes to win and that 3 separate bids in CONCACAF would have made it worse by dividing the votes allowing a bid from Morocco to win. The USSF knew full well a solo bid had little chance to win

On 4/8/2017 at 4:35 PM, LatinXTC said:

Nor are Canada's stadiums on par with the US ones. Hell I'd even be bold to say that they pale in comparison to Mexico's. Mexico has at least one 80,000+ capacity stadium for soccer specific games and at least 2 50,000+ ones. The best soccer stadium Canada can offer is BC Place in Vancouver. Everything else bigger than 50,000+ capacity is designed for other sports that will give s**t views for people who would pay top dollar for a ticket.

Montreal Olympic Stadium is the biggest. It most likely will be renovated and reconfigured to the 1976 Olympic games setting. During those games, the final game of the soccer tournament could sit 72k fans. Realistically, it should be a semi-final stadium.

The Commonwealth stadium in Edmonton can be easily expanded to over 70k seats and Calgary is looking to replace their stadium for the Stampeders. In our soccer forum, we're thinking that these stadiums will be used if it's 4 stadiums per countries for a total of 12:

• Montreal Olympic Stadium
  • Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium
  • Vancouver BC place
  • Toronto BMO Field or the Skydome

Azteca has the advantage to host the final game.

*I doubt you ever saw a soccer game in one of those 4 stadiums, so your opinion is just that

On 4/8/2017 at 4:35 PM, LatinXTC said:

Let's just dump all of the matches no one will care about to Canada, like Ivory Coast vs Iran lol.

That's not how it works. The draw for the groups are assigned to stadiums, so it will be random. The only thing I could see FIFA manipulate is making sure that the 3 countries plays in separate groups and that they play all their games in their home country before the knockout stage

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Montreal Olympic Stadium is the biggest. It most likely will be renovated and reconfigured to the 1976 Olympic games setting. During those games, the final game of the soccer tournament could sit 72k fans. Realistically, it should be a semi-final stadium.

The Commonwealth stadium in Edmonton can be easily expanded to over 70k seats and Calgary is looking to replace their stadium for the Stampeders. In our soccer forum, we're thinking that these stadiums will be used if it's 4 stadiums per countries for a total of 12:

• Montreal Olympic Stadium
  • Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium
  • Vancouver BC place
  • Toronto BMO Field or the Skydome

Azteca has the advantage to host the final game.

*I doubt you ever saw a soccer game in one of those 4 stadiums, so your opinion is just that

That's not how it works. The draw for the groups are assigned to stadiums, so it will be random. The only thing I could see FIFA manipulate is making sure that the 3 countries plays in separate groups and that they play all their games in their home country before the knockout stage

LOL.

Canada will get at most 3 cities (and maybe one semi-final).  

Official opener:  at the new Los Angeles Rams stadium

US sites: NY area, Los Angeles, Chicago, SF Bay Area, Boston, Miami or Orlando areas, Dallas or Houston

semi-finals: Azteca Stadium and  either LA Memorial or Montreal.  Semi-finals stages will also depend on which, if any of the host nation teams, advance,  

Finals: MetLife Stadium in NY metro area. 

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

LOL.

Canada will get at most 3 cities (and maybe one semi-final).  

Official opener:  at the new Los Angeles Rams stadium

US sites: NY area, Los Angeles, Chicago, SF Bay Area, Boston, Miami or Orlando areas, Dallas or Houston

semi-finals: Azteca Stadium and  either LA Memorial or Montreal.  Semi-finals stages will also depend on which, if any of the host nation teams, advance,  

Finals: MetLife Stadium in NY metro area. 

Let's wait to see the bid itself. No one has a clue what's in it. It's not a US bid with 2 other federations but a 3 country CONCACAF bid. To many details we don't know about:

• who's the lead? CONCACAF or the 3 nations?
  • How the sites will be determined?
  • etc...

So far it sounds like CONCACAF might play a heavy hand in it's organization using input from all 3 nations so far. So we'll know more in the coming weeks however, anyone thinking this bid will be a USSF led bid are in for a disappointment

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Let's wait to see the bid itself. No one has a clue what's in it. It's not a US bid with 2 other federations but a 3 country CONCACAF bid. To many details we don't know about:

• who's the lead? CONCACAF or the 3 nations?
  • How the sites will be determined?
  • etc...

So far it sounds like CONCACAF might play a heavy hand in it's organization using input from all 3 nations so far. So we'll know more in the coming weeks however, anyone thinking this bid will be a USSF led bid are in for a disappointment

Yes, it comes on at 2pm EST.  But the majority of the sponsors will still be US; and the population base of course, should determine the distribution of venues and games.  Obviously, the Canada and France teams will open in Canada.  

Just now, baron-pierreIV said:

Yes, it comes on at 2pm EST.  But the majority of the sponsors will still be US; and the population base of course, should determine the distribution of venues and games.  Obviously, the Canada and France teams will open in Canada.  

Again, you don't know. Let's wait for the announcement. Details are likely to come later. For the rest, you're just making assumptions at this point

Just now, Ansem said:

Again, you don't know. Let's wait for the announcement. Details are likely to come later. For the rest, you're just making assumptions at this point

Not assumptions, but educated guesses.  BTW, they gave me a call as to how I think the tournament should be distributed.  I was feeling generous towards Canada, so I assigned them 2.5 places.  ;)

See my earlier reply.  That's how it's going to come out -- altho semi's and 3rd place game, I think are moveable.  

Mexico getting the opening at Azteca makes sense: Strongest CONCACAF team which would show the strength of our region in the very first game.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Mexico getting the opening at Azteca makes sense: Strongest CONCACAF team which would show the strength of our region in the very first game.

It's the most well-known soccer stadium on this continent.  100% agree it should be where the opening game is.

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Nope.  That would give Mexico 3 openings already.  That's NOT how it will be.  I think Opener will be in LA. (to re-distribute time-zone telecasts.)  And if semi-finals will be in Toronto/Montreal and Mexico City, 3rd place will (my biased guess will) be at Levi Stadium in the Bay Area (so West Coast time), while the finals will be East Coast at MetLife Stadium.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Nope.  That would give Mexico 3 openings already.  That's NOT how it will be.  I think Opener will be in LA. (to re-distribute time-zone telecast.)  And if semi-finals will be in Montreal and Mexico City, 3rd place will (my biased guess) will be at Levi Stadium in the Bay Area (so West Coast time), while the finals will be East Coast at MetLife Stadium.  

and the US would be on their 2nd opening or Canada would be their first.

I think one of the newer US NFL Stadiums will get the finals & closing ceremony, however, I doubt both opening and closing ceremonies goes to the same country. Mexico is still most likely to open

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

. Mexico is still most likely to open

I don't think so.  They've already had 2 tournaments.  They and another country (whose name shall not be mentioned) are just add-on's as far as I am concerned.  ;)   Remember, 2026 marks the 250th Birthday of the US.  The US was due to host in 2022 until that pick-a-ninny Qatar stole the selection process.  We're just letting our neighbors co-celebrate with us.  ;) 

The Finals will probably be Sunday, July 5th.  (Thus, July 4th is the 1st Saturday in July) -- so there will be lots of concurrent celebrations to mark the occasion. 

And I bet at least 38 teams will pick training bases in the US.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I don't think so.  They've already had 2 tournaments.  They're and another country (whose name shall not be mentioned) are just add-ons as far as I am concerned.  ;)   And I bet at least 36 teams will pick training bases in the US.  

So? The US hosted the most recent tournament and already had 1. Where most people agrees that US will get most of the games in the knock out stage, the opener, 3rd place game, semi-finals and finals are very much so up in the air at this point. This won't be a USSF bid but a either the 3 nations handling the bid together or CONCACAF taking the lead.

The US could have easily bid on their own but opted not too. That means you have to accept the USSF won't get their way in everything. They have enough weight to lobby for more games and the finals but they aren't getting everything while leaving the less important groups to Mexico and Canada. If the USSF wanted everything going their way, they would have bid solo but they needed their neighbors to co host with them to overcome not getting enough votes to win and it was heading this way.

Like people have already pointed, the most famous football stadium in CONCACAF by the rest of the planet is Azteca, not any of the NFL stadiums: Azteca is. It's a world tournament, not another superbowl so Azteca is getting opener or finals, count on that.