FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

24 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'd point more to the current TV rights deals in Canada with Rogers that may or may not have affected overall interest in hockey.  But anti-Canada because they chose Las Vegas over Quebec city?  That's a stretch.

Hardly. it's mostly the same staff then from "Hockey night in Canada". People are fed up with Gary Bettman and his anti-Canada rule since 1993....when he moved NHL headquarters from Toronto to New York.

Las Vegas over Quebec City is not anti-Canadian???? You're joking right?

23 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Eh, not quite as in your face.  With Ruff, it's like he's trying to sell you a timeshare in LA.  Here, it's more about twisting the narrative to make a point seem more relevant.  Easy to see through it.

Give it time. Even Truff (& many like him throughout the years here) at the very beginning was (somewhat) subtle. But when push came to shove, he then started with his volatile & patronizing rhetoric. As do many when they have a preferential agenda to push. I already see the similarities regardless.

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Hardly. it's mostly the same staff then from "Hockey night in Canada". People are fed up with Gary Bettman and his anti-Canada rule since 1993....when he moved NHL headquarters from Toronto to New York.

Las Vegas over Quebec City is not anti-Canadian???? You're joking right?

Right.. and what happens with the value of the Canadian dollar sinks and Canadian franchises aren't worth as much?  Or did I miss where Winnipeg and Quebec both lost teams to the States (yes, Winnipeg has since gotten theirs back.  You can frame your bias about Bettman that he's anti-Canadian, and I know there are a lot of good arguments and evidence to back that up.  But that's an opinion, not a fact.  Good for Quebec that there's a new arena there.  Maybe that lack of interest in hockey the past couple of years says something.  But no, go ahead to continue to play both sides where interest in sports other than hockey is growing in Canada, but when hockey expands to Las Vegas instead of Quebec, clearly that's anti-Canadian.

32 minutes ago, FYI said:

Give it time. Even Truff (& many like him throughout the years here) at the very beginning was (somewhat) subtle. But when push came to shove, he then started with his volatile & patronizing rhetoric. As do many when they have a preferential agenda to push. I already see the similarities regardless.

30 minutes ago, FYI said:

*...along with the petty insults. So, you were saying, Q.

Well, to be fair, look who he is engaging with.  But yea, anyone who spends enough time on this site will start acting that way.  It's only a matter of time :lol:

29 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Right.. and what happens with the value of the Canadian dollar sinks and Canadian franchises aren't worth as much?  Or did I miss where Winnipeg and Quebec both lost teams to the States (yes, Winnipeg has since gotten theirs back.  You can frame your bias about Bettman that he's anti-Canadian, and I know there are a lot of good arguments and evidence to back that up.  But that's an opinion, not a fact.  Good for Quebec that there's a new arena there.  Maybe that lack of interest in hockey the past couple of years says something.  But no, go ahead to continue to play both sides where interest in sports other than hockey is growing in Canada, but when hockey expands to Las Vegas instead of Quebec, clearly that's anti-Canadian.

Didn't even bother reading the rest

7 Canadian Clubs accounts for over 33% of the NHL overall revenuespecially

7 out-of 31

17 hours ago, Ansem said:

Didn't even bother reading the rest

7 Canadian Clubs accounts for over 33% of the NHL overall revenuespecially

7 out-of 31

Your point being?  Do you even have a point?  I'm gonna guess no.  Thank you though for quoting my entire previous post and then saying you didn't bother to read the rest.  Since that's all their was.

41 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Your point being?  Do you even have a point?  I'm gonna guess no.  Thank you though for quoting my entire previous post and then saying you didn't bother to read the rest.  Since that's all their was.

Oh please, Bettman couldn't wait to take those franchise into the US the minute he could. How come he didn't put a fraction of his efforts in keeping them in Canada while he's doing the impossible for Phoenix, Florida, Carolina, NY Islanders and other ridiculous markets that are failures?

He blocked Phoenix transfer to Hamilton and has the audacity to claim that Toronto can support just one team, which is crazy.

Winnipeg got their team back because no one in Atlanta wanted the team...otherwise they would have stayed put.

Opinion? Even American media are scratching their heads over Bettman decisions. 

Lack of interest in hockey in Canada? you must be joking

Vegas *way* overpaid for an expansion franchise. Quebec was smart to walk away. (Bettman would have loved to take Quebec's money.. they simply didn't have it.) Now Quebec can sit back and wait for Carolina/Florida/Arizona to totally fail and be bought up. Well, wait for the second of those to fail as Seattle gets the first one :)

On 11/6/2016 at 0:43 PM, Ansem said:

Lack of interest in hockey in Canada? you must be joking

You were the one who mentioned Bettman begging Canadians to watch hockey during the playoffs last year.  That was something you brought to this conversation and you're not wrong.  That's agreeing with someone you said when I call it lack of interest.  So that's your argument you think is a joke.

24 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Vegas *way* overpaid for an expansion franchise. Quebec was smart to walk away. (Bettman would have loved to take Quebec's money.. they simply didn't have it.) Now Quebec can sit back and wait for Carolina/Florida/Arizona to totally fail and be bought up. Well, wait for the second of those to fail as Seattle gets the first one :)

Quebec didn't walk away, they were denied

12 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

You were the one who mentioned Bettman begging Canadians to watch hockey during the playoffs last year.  That was something you brought to this conversation and you're not wrong.  That's agreeing with someone you said when I call it lack of interest.  So that's your argument you think is a joke.

Canadians are losing interest in the NHL outside the Canadian clubs, not in hockey as a whole.

Top Soccer Official Says Trump Presidency Would Hurt U.S. World Cup Bid

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-united-states-2026-world-cup_us_575840aae4b0e39a28ac20d8

A Donald Trump presidency could have a negative impact on the United States’ efforts to host the 2026 World Cup, U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati told reporters Tuesday.

Yeah... not looking good now...

In years gone by I think it would've had little effect. Russia and Qatar are hosting 2018 and 2022 after all!

However, the 2026 host onwards will see each FA getting one vote, rather than a vote within the inner circle of the Exec Committee deciding things. That might work against the US bid if Trump really does prove as loose a canon as everyone expects.

Then again, there's a lot of $$$$ in a US World Cup and with restrictions on who can bid for this tournament I'd still put them as favourites.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have stats on MLS TV viewership for the largest audience for a non MLS Cup match ever

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/09/sunday-doubleheader-sets-new-mls-broadcast-viewership-record

Major League Soccer set a new broadcast viewership record on Sunday thanks to some clever programming in partnership with the NFL and FOX.

FOX Sports announced via press release on Tuesday that the split-national MLS broadcast on FOX on Sunday, the 18th, had a total viewership of 1,298,000, the highest the league has ever recorded on any network in 12 years.

Through a clever partnership with the NFL, viewers in the 1:00 PM ET game NFL markets saw their matches followed with a 3-3 draw between Toronto FC and the New York Red Bulls, while viewers in the 4:30 PM ET game NFL markets saw that match preceded by a 2-2 draw between Sporting Kansas City and the LA Galaxy.

The partnership marked the first time in the league’s 21 seasons that a network partner televised matches from two different leagues on the same network at the same time.

United States

All time record: (1,298,000 viewers)

Canada

All time record: 2016 TFC and Montreal (over 1 Million viewers and more than 3.6 million unique viewers)

http://www.tsn.ca/tfc-impact-game-sets-canadian-mls-audience-record-1.615462

TFC-Impact game sets Canadian MLS audience record

Tuesday night’s thrilling MLS Eastern Conference Championship featuring Montreal Impact vs. Toronto FC game had it all – including record-breaking ratings. Overnight data from Numeris confirms that an average audience of more than 1 million viewers watched the Impact’s 3-2 victory over TFC on TSN (595,000*) and RDS (429,000*) – making it Canada’s most-watched MLS game ever.

Overall, more than 3.6 million unique viewers watched some part of the Leg #1 match on TSN and RDS, with audience levels peaking at 10:27 p.m. ET in the final minute of regular time.

Last night’s audience nearly doubles the previous all-time record of 587,000 on TSN and RDS for the TFC-Impact playoff match on October 29, 2015.

This year’s Eastern Conference Championship marks the first time a Canadian team is guaranteed to compete for the championship title in MLS history.

Almost the same amount of viewers for the all time record watched the game in Canada - a country 1/10th the size of the US...without needed the help of the NFL...while hockey was on TV in Canada.

Second leg of Eastern Conference Championship smashes MLS' Canadian TV mark

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/01/second-leg-eastern-conference-championship-smashes-mls-canadian-tv-mark

They say records are made to be broken. This one got smashed -- after only a week.

Wednesday night's Eastern Conference Championship match between Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact was the most-watched MLS game in Canadian TV history, according to overnight data from Numeria as reported by BellMedia. An average audience of 1.4 million viewers tuned in on TSN and RDS to watch the Reds prevail 5-2 in extra time and seal a 7-5 aggregate victory in the two-leg series, earning their first MLS Cup Final berth and a homefield meeting with Seattle in the title match on Dec. 10.

That represented a 35 percent increase over the previous record, set last week when Montreal took the first leg 3-2 at home.

Overall unique viewership reached 4.4 million for the second leg, with a peak at 9:23 p.m. ET when Tousaint Ricketts scored the series-sealing goal for TFC.

United States

US record: (1,298,000 viewers)

Canada

All time record (Canada-US) for a MLS game playoff game: 2nd leg 2016 TFC vs Montreal (over 1.4 Million viewers and more than 4.4 million unique viewers)

I must apologize to my GB friends in Toronto, but as a Sounders fan, I hope they run TFC right out of BMO. Hope this doesn't make me some kind of ugly American.

BTW, I will be away next weekend and will not be able to watch the game until Sunday. Should TFC win and you feel the need to rub it in, I will retort once I'm done watching the game.