FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

:blink:

Just like the USA pulled out of hosting the second stop of the short track speed skating world cup last year and the event was moved to Toronto?????

How can the USA ever manage the World Cup when it can't host a 3 day sporting event????????? /end sarcasm

That's just the second stop.  Doesn't count.  

It's either the whole enchillada or don't even bring it up.  B)

On 11/3/2016 at 2:49 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Canadian city of Bromont withdraws from hosting the World Equestrian Games of 2018; and the honor moves to Tryon, North Carolina.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1043302/tryon-to-host-2018-fei-world-equestrian-games-following-bromont-withdrawal 

If Canada cannot even raise funds to stage the much smaller World Equestrian Games, how much more effort would be required to put together, bid and stage the FAR LARGER FIFA Men's 2026 World Cup Tournament than this smaller World Equestrian Games?  :blink:

you're an idiot

23 hours ago, Nacre said:

Ansem, if you take your maple leaf tinted glasses off for a minute, you will see that although countries the size of Canada have hosted the World Cup before, they are countries in which association football is the primary sport. (Well, or Qatar.) If they have to pick between Canada and Argentina they will probably choose the #1 ranked country in the world over the #110 ranked country in the world.

Anybody who knows FIFA (obviously some Americans don't), ranking has nothing to do with it...How hard is it to understand?

With no national stadium suitable for the finals

Olympic Stadium in Montreal could. Most likely a new one in Toronto will be build

a really bad mens national team

Having no domestic Division 1 league will do that

On 11/3/2016 at 4:18 PM, Nacre said:

limited public appetite for investment in the sport,

The Canadian Premier League (Division 1) is set to start in 2018. Billionaire investors and major European Clubs are interested in investing in the league

it is hard for people who are not Canadian nationalists to conclude that the time is right for a Canadian World Cup bid.

How would you know when you live south of the border? You guys can't even sellout your own World Cup qualifiers, while we do. You guys had empty stadiums during Gold Cup and we sold out the Gold Cup games in Toronto.

The focus of Canadian soccer fans should be on growth:

We are focusing on growth, that's why we're cutting ties with the USSF and banning new Canadian Clubs from joining USSF sanctioned leagues. CPL is the final step.

improve its national team to the point it can qualify for the World Cup without being hosts, then that would change.

We did in 1986 and won the Gold Cup in 2000.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

How would you know when you live south of the border?

In fact I went to university in Vancouver and almost married a Canadian. And having seen, heard and even smelt the atmosphere in Canadian venues for NHL, NBA (when the Grizzlies were still in Vancouver), CFL and now MLS first hand, I am 100% positive that Canada is still a hockey country first and a soccer country last.

Canada has a big enough economy to support a top tier professional league, but not if people are spending their sports-entertainment money on the NHL, Blue Jays, Raptors, Canadian Football League and then the MLS franchises. Even the people creating the league think it will only be slightly better than NASL, which AFAIK has not produced any high quality players for the US national team.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

You guys had empty stadiums during Gold Cup and we sold out the Gold Cup games in Toronto.

The worst group stage attendance for the US stadiums was 18,467 in Kansas City, while Toronto had 16,674. PPL Park had a terrible attendance in the knockout rounds, but that was the only worse attendance than Toronto. And, well, there's a reason the Philadelphia Union do very badly there too.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Olympic Stadium in Montreal could. Most likely a new one in Toronto will be build

Montreal's stadium is not big enough for the finals.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Anybody who knows FIFA (obviously some Americans don't), ranking has nothing to do with it...How hard is it to understand?

So, just to be clear, how good do you think the Canadian national team is? Which European teams do you think Canada is better than?

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nacre said:

fact I went to university in Vancouver and almost married a Canadian. And having seen, heard and even smelt the atmosphere in Canadian venues for NHL, NBA (when the Grizzlies were still in Vancouver), CFL and now MLS first hand, I am 100% positive that Canada is still a hockey country first and a soccer country last.

Really? Did you know that more Canadians are registered as soccer players than even hockey? Of course you didn't know.

Did you know that the ratings for the last NHL playoffs were abysmal to the point that Gary Bettman flew from New York begging Canadians to watch hockey? Nope you didn't know that.

How would you know soccer is last? Highest overall participation is in soccer, not hockey and the 3 MLS clubs from Canada are among the most valuable and successful franchise in the league. We just don't watch American teams play each other but rest assured we are die hard fans of English Premier League and the UEFA Champions League. Us not caring about the MLS cup doesn't mean we don't like soccer.

2 hours ago, Nacre said:

Canada has a big enough economy to support a top tier professional league, but not if people are spending their sports-entertainment money on the NHL, Blue Jays, Raptors, Canadian Football League and then the MLS franchises. Even the people creating the league think it will only be slightly better than NASL, which AFAIK has not produced any high quality players for the US national team.

First of you don't know much about Canadians. Canadians who by the way have a richer middle class than Americans can afford to spend on multiple sports just like Americans do.

Second, CPL will start as the 3rd most paying league in CONCACAF right from the start. Level of play is expected to be higher than NASL.

How would you know who are the people creating the league when it's not even public knowledge yet outside of the CSA? 

MLS was created around 1994, and was a joke until Beckham joined in 2007. CPL right from the get go will be the 3rd biggest league in CONCACAF. 

2 hours ago, Nacre said:

The worst group stage attendance for the US stadiums was 18,467 in Kansas City, while Toronto had 16,674. PPL Park had a terrible attendance in the knockout rounds, but that was the only worse attendance than Toronto. And, well, there's a reason the Philadelphia Union do very badly there too.

How convenient of you to leave out the world cup qualifiers 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2016/10/12/where-is-everybody-attendance-at-u-s-mens-friendlies-continues-to-lag/?0p19G=c

BMO field was much smaller than it is today. Comparing apples with oranges doesn't give a true picture of the situation

3 hours ago, Nacre said:

Montreal's stadium is not big enough for the finals

A new one would be part of the bid in Toronto. The soccer final in 1976 olympic games was played in front of 72000 people. Temporary seats and reconfiguraction could bring it up to 80k.

3 hours ago, Nacre said:

So, just to be clear, how good do you think the Canadian national team is? Which European teams do you think Canada is better than?

Oh let's be clear. I said "some" Americans, not all Americans. I have many American friends BTW. 

The difference here is that we're aware of our limitations. 

Unfortunately, "some" (like baron) thinks that being American means being better at everything and knowing everything... which is pretty much the majority for the rest of the planet biggest pet peeve.

To answer your question, none of North American team can measure up to Europe except Mexico  (on occasion). Even they get beat soundly in the end.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Unfortunately, "some" (like baron) thinks that being American means being better at everything and knowing everything... which is pretty much the majority for the rest of the planet biggest pet peeve.

It is clear that I am not going to get through to you, so I will let this be my last comment on the subject.

The USA is not "better at everything" than Canada . . . it is simply bigger than Canada. There are (almost) ten Americans for every Canadian. This means that, with all other things being equal, a league in the USA will have ten star players for every one star Canadian player in an all-Canadian league, ten times the national television revenue, ten times as much money to spend on stadiums, etc.

Look at the situation of the Welsh soccer teams in the English league system. (Hopefully RobH can comment on this.) By participating in the much larger English market, Welsh teams like Swansea and Cardiff City are much better off financially than they would be in a Welsh-only league. That gives them more money to invest in their stadiums, academies, etc. And that in turn has been good for the sport in Wales.

There are not very many Canadians in MLS right now but the reason for this is that there simply are not that many MLS-worthy Canadian players. (Similarly, there are relatively few Americans in the NHL: only about 25%. Americans are just not good enough at hockey to demand a "fair share" of the roster spots in the league.) As the academies of Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal begin to produce more quality players that will change. Canada and the USA both have far more to gain by cooperation than by conflict, which is why the two do in fact work together in baseball, basketball, ice hockey and even gridiron football.

Edited by Nacre

12 hours ago, Nacre said:

The USA is not "better at everything" than Canada . . . it is simply bigger than Canada. There are (almost) ten Americans for every Canadian

Agreed

This means that, with all other things being equal, a league in the USA will have ten star players for every one star Canadian player in an all-Canadian league

This is where you get it all wrong. Then explain why the CHL is superior to NCAA hockey with Canada only having a 10th of the population? Why is the USA national team not better than even Wales or Iceland? 

It's not population, it's the quality of the program. 

By your logic, China and their super league should be the best on the planet...not really the case right?

ten times the national television revenue, ten times as much money to spend on stadiums,

I already debunked that with the hockey tv contract that's double in value then the American tv contract. I regards to FIFA, it's irrelevant. The planet watches the world cup...no matter where it i s so FIFA makes their money anyways

As for the stadiums, we are just as capable of building them then any one when it's justified 

Look at the situation of the Welsh soccer teams in the English league system. (Hopefully RobH can comment on this.) By participating in the much larger English market, Welsh teams like Swansea and Cardiff City are much better off financially than they would be in a Welsh-only league. That gives them more money to invest in their stadiums, academies, etc. And that in turn has been good for the sport in Wales.

There are not very many Canadians in MLS right now but the reason for this is that there simply are not that many MLS-worthy Canadian players. (Similarly, there are relatively few Americans in the NHL: only about 25%. Americans are just not good enough at hockey to demand a "fair share" of the roster spots in the league.) As the academies of Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal begin to produce more quality players that will change. Canada and the USA both have far more to gain by cooperation than by conflict, which is why the two do in fact work together in baseball, basketball, ice hockey and even gridiron football.

Welsh football within English football is far from being the same as Canada and the United States. Welsh being part of the UK makes it easier for both to cooperate because at the end for the day, they are all British.

Canadians aren't Americans. The reason there aren't many Canadians in MLS isn't only about talent. It's about Canadians not being considered as domestic players within the league and USSF imposed quotas for American players on teams excluding Canadians. So at comparable talent, the American player or international player always gets pick.

The CSA gave their sanction to the 3 MLS teams to operate from Canada and the league was supposed to fixed that. They never did in 8 years and don't seem interested in doing so. For 8 years MLS has had access to 3 of the most lucrative and important markets in North America and took everything south of the border while still blocking Canadian players. 

Victor Montagliani, now President of CONCACAF and vice president of FIFA, said that if MLS didn't change the situation, he would strip the 3 Canadian Clubs of their sanction and expel MLS from Canada. MLS rapidly said they were working on a solution by year end.

We're starting CPL Canadian Premier League because MLS partnership has been a failure from Canada's perspective. It has limited our capacity to improved our program and it wasn't what MLS had promised. 

The 3 Canadian teams are saying that they are developing quality players but they don't stand a chance of playing in MLS outside of those 3 teams as Americans teams will always prefer American players. Which is fine.

Cooperation will be over once 2018 starts and is projected to be a top 3 league within CONCACAF. The CSA are barely hiding their intention of transferring the 3 MLS clubs into CPL once our league peaks. According to FIFA rules, the MLS needs the CSA sanction to operate in Canada. Once it's revoked, MLS will be banned. That's the long term objective

It is clear that I am not going to get through to you

This was never about convincing each other of who has the better chance to win. Of course we'll cheer for our own country...

My point was that a Canadian bid would be very solid as well and has things going for it too. Unreasonable?

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

This was never about convincing each other of who has the better chance to win. Of course we'll cheer for our own country...

My point was that a Canadian bid would be very solid as well and has things going for it too. Unreasonable?

Not unreasonable.  But you were the one who brought up Gold Cup attendance comparing the US games to those in Toronto (and falsely claiming the games there sold out). And when you mention the World Cup qualifiers, again let's be accurate here.  Canada sold out one of their qualifiers, perhaps not so coincidentally the game against Mexico.  The other 2 Fourth Round matches had attendance around 20,000 (in the same stadium) and the Third Round game against Belize drew just over 10,000.  Don't think you can claim the upper hand on that one.  If this is about trying to make a case for Canada, do so with facts, not with claims that can easily be disproven.

16 hours ago, Ansem said:

Really? Did you know that more Canadians are registered as soccer players than even hockey? Of course you didn't know.

Did you know that the ratings for the last NHL playoffs were abysmal to the point that Gary Bettman flew from New York begging Canadians to watch hockey? Nope you didn't know that.

Once again, let's paint an accurate picture and point out 2016 was the first time in nearly half a century.  I'm guessing you did know that, but chose to leave it out.  No kidding Canadians were less interested in hockey with no representation in the playoffs for the first time since Montreal and Toronto were the only 2 teams in the league North of the border.

9 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Not unreasonable.  But you were the one who brought up Gold Cup attendance comparing the US games to those in Toronto (and falsely claiming the games there sold out). And when you mention the World Cup qualifiers, again let's be accurate here.  Canada sold out one of their qualifiers, perhaps not so coincidentally the game against Mexico.  The other 2 Fourth Round matches had attendance around 20,000 (in the same stadium) and the Third Round game against Belize drew just over 10,000.  Don't think you can claim the upper hand on that one.  If this is about trying to make a case for Canada, do so with facts, not with claims that can easily be disproven.

And what was the stupid and totally disingenuous claim Ansem the Phlegm made vs. me earlier -- and I don't have the inclination to waste any more of my time digging it up -- but something to the effect that my arguments were just based on personal conjecture and NOT facts.  HA!  :lol: LOL!  

Phlegm calling the kettle black!   And I thought we had a competent and credible poster here for awhile.  LOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And what was the stupid and totally disingenuous claim Ansem the Phlegm made vs. me earlier -- and I don't have the inclination to waste any more of my time digging it up -- but something to the effect that my arguments were just based on personal conjecture and NOT facts.  HA!  :lol: LOL!  

Phlegm calling the kettle black!   And I thought we had a competent and credible poster here for awhile.  LOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!

Zzzzzxxxx

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

but something to the effect that my arguments were just based on personal conjecture and NOT facts.  HA!  :lol: LOL!  

Boy, those tactics sound awfully familiar to a certain (T)Ruff over in the L.A. thread. They're similarities are uncanny! 

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Once again, let's paint an accurate picture and point out 2016 was the first time in nearly half a century.  I'm guessing you did know that, but chose to leave it out.  No kidding Canadians were less interested in hockey with no representation in the playoffs for the first time since Montreal and Toronto were the only 2 teams in the league North of the border.

About hockey. We have 7 teams by the way... and it was in the National post. Goes beyond having no Canadian teams making he playoffs. 

Las Vegas getting a franchise over Quebec City rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. With over 50% + Canadians on any teams clubs, that would not stop us from watching the playoffs.  People are waking up to how anti-Canada  the NHL has become and people started watching other sports like EPL, MLB and EUFA Champions League

Regarding qualifiers. I just posted an article from an American media stating that low attendance was worrisome. Toronto BMO field was under construction to expand the stadium. Access was difficult or the stadium but when they moved the games to Vancouver, attendances were a success

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

About hockey. We have 7 teams by the way... and it was in the National post. Goes beyond having no Canadian teams making he playoffs. 

Las Vegas getting a franchise over Quebec City rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. With over 50% + Canadians on any teams clubs, that would not stop us from watching the playoffs.  People are waking up to how anti-Canada  the NHL has become and people started watching other sports like EPL, MLB and EUFA Champions League

Yes, I'm aware there are 7 Canadian teams in the NHL.  As you are probably aware that 5 of those 7 teams made the playoffs last year.  So no kidding there was less interest in hockey and Canada last year.  But that's why a 1 year snapshot of TV ratings does not equal a long-term trend.  I'd point more to the current TV rights deals in Canada with Rogers that may or may not have affected overall interest in hockey.  But anti-Canada because they chose Las Vegas over Quebec city?  That's a stretch.

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Regarding qualifiers. I just posted an article from an American media stating that low attendance was worrisome. Toronto BMO field was under construction to expand the stadium. Access was difficult or the stadium but when they moved the games to Vancouver, attendances were a success

Again, for one of the games.  The Mexico game was a sellout.  The other 2 games drew under 21,000 fans in the same stadium.  If you want to call that a success, go right ahead.  But let's not pretend they filled BC Place for all of those games if you're going to tell us what a success it was.

34 minutes ago, FYI said:

Boy, those tactics sound awfully familiar to a certain (T)Ruff over in the L.A. thread. They're similarities are uncanny! 

Eh, not quite as in your face.  With Ruff, it's like he's trying to sell you a timeshare in LA.  Here, it's more about twisting the narrative to make a point seem more relevant.  Easy to see through it.