FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

Name any global event when the subsequent event is held in the same confederation unless there is an absent of bidders like in 2022 Winter Olympics .... save the IAAF World Championships in Athletics, a bi-annual event. That is why China and Australia would be ruled out.

1994 Winter Olympics

How many times has a city bid for an Olympics from the continent of the previous host. Happens all the time with the Olympics. While none of them have been successful (save for Lillehammer), there is no RULE that prevents them from bidding. There is a rule that prevents China and Australia from offering a bid.

And nobody has yet answered why would the English Football Association, the oldest in the world and always likely to be a contender if they chose to bid for the hosting rights for a World Cup, have even voiced the possibility of bidding for 2026 UNLESS there was a clear indication that such a bid would be admitted?

Rob beat me to it, but I was thinking the same thing with the "if circumstances allow" declaration. Again, this is FIFA. They have a habit of changing their own rules along the way, although perhaps that was more about Blatter being involved in the process. FIFA once declared joint bids would no longer be allowed, then we got 2 of them for 2018.

We'll throw this one back at you.. tell us where you heard the policy was rescinded that the confederations of the past TWO hosts are ineligible to bid. Don't give us this circumstantial argument where you're telling us it must be because the head of the England FA has said something.

We'll throw this one back at you.. tell us where you heard the policy was rescinded that the confederations of the past TWO hosts are ineligible to bid. Don't give us this circumstantial argument where you're telling us it must be because the head of the England FA has said something.

He's wishing it will happen.

@ Gromit: So after offending all the other confederations (and the US, the UK and Australia) with their 2010 voting sham, FIFA will once again change the rules to slight these influential countries once again? :rolleyes:

He's wishing it will happen.

@ Gromit: So after offending all the other confederations (and the US, the UK and Australia) with their 2010 voting sham, FIFA will once again change the rules to slight these influential countries once again? :rolleyes:

Changing the rules would only annoy the US. Under the existing rules England and Australia can't bid for 2026.

• 3 weeks later...

Former RWC11 boss Martin Sneddon has mooted a possible Australia/New Zealand 2026-30 joint bid but after the experience of going after the 2022 bid, Australia just isn't interested.

Also Fifa would have to make an exception to it's rules as both contries are in seperate confederations.

FIFA owns the TV contracts. It's be awfu hard for people to walk away from those.

Except that the TV contracts will be worth very little once UEFA & its allies walk away...

Wait, Australia is considered part of the Asian confederation??? That needs to be an exception for them!

Indeed. Kinda like Israel being in UEFA, except that Israel was forced to apply as a UEFA member because of inherent Arab racist resentment...

Which is why they won't walk away.

Well, unless FIFA screws them - as it is right now. What benefit do they derive from the Blatter regime?

• 1 month later...

BIG NEWS: FIFA has just changed the rules for 2026, confirmed this morning. The previous host continent is unable to bid but the one before that CAN bid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-european-countries-bid-2026-world-cup-fifa-111708229--sow.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So Asia cannot host 2026 but Europe is back in the picture.

England has said it will not bid for any FIFA tournaments whilst Blatter is in charge. With Blatter coming out against the US so strongly today for its arrests (claiming it's political), I'm unsure whether we'll see government support for a US bid anytime soon.

Does anyone else think that could see SPAIN as the favourite. They voted for Blatter yesterday, and clearly want a World Cup soon.

Horrible, fucking corrupt organisation - goes without saying - but an interesting dynamic for the next bid race which until a few days ago looked very likely to be the USA's.

Edited by Rob.

I wonder how much this case is going to change who's the favorite for 2026. Considering UEFA might pull out of Fifa, Canada voted against blatter too, and before the investigation blatter was all for the US but now he's attacking them for the timing of the arrests. Who's left Mexico....Columbia.....?

http://tass.ru/en/sports/797736?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=ITAR-TAS

Blatter claims that the investigation will not hurt US's chances for the 2026 World Cup.

Yeah, he's not one to hold a grudge

"I've been told by a number of people in the room that Sepp Blatter, straight before the [2018] vote, stood up and reminded the delegates what the British press had done to them in the period running up to the vote."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/8952727/world-cup-sepp-blatter-may-have-deliberately-scuppered-englands-2018-bid

Edited by Rob.

Yeah. Sure. Look at what happened to Sion in 1999 after the swiss dared to point out IOC corruption back then.

Sorry America, but with Blatter in power, and after this, you can say goodbye to the WC host for a looong time.

BIG NEWS: FIFA has just changed the rules for 2026, confirmed this morning. The previous host continent is unable to bid but the one before that CAN bid. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-european-countries-bid-2026-world-cup-fifa-111708229--sow.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter So Asia cannot host 2026 but Europe is back in the picture. England has said it will not bid for any FIFA tournaments whilst Blatter is in charge. With Blatter coming out against the US so strongly today for its arrests (claiming it's political), I'm unsure whether we'll see government support for a US bid anytime soon. Does anyone else think that could see SPAIN as the favourite. They voted for Blatter yesterday, and clearly want a World Cup soon. Horrible, fucking corrupt organisation - goes without saying - but an interesting dynamic for the next bid race which until a few days ago looked very likely to be the USA's.

Oh I didn't see that. That explains the negativity of the UEFA to not going for a boycott. Sorry England, you're insolated again. Spain/Iberian Peninsula for 2026?!

Yeah, he's not one to hold a grudge

"I've been told by a number of people in the room that Sepp Blatter, straight before the [2018] vote, stood up and reminded the delegates what the British press had done to them in the period running up to the vote."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/8952727/world-cup-sepp-blatter-may-have-deliberately-scuppered-englands-2018-bid

To be fair though, even though he didn't say anything BEFORE the 2022 vote, he is known to have expressed regrets that Qatar won and that the US lost. Sure enough, he then realized the myriad problems that would ensue Qatar's choice. Yes, he may seem like a fatuous fool, but I think his age also gives him some wisdom -- not always placed best.

I wonder how much this case is going to change who's the favorite for 2026. Considering UEFA might pull out of Fifa, Canada voted against blatter too, and before the investigation blatter was all for the US but now he's attacking them for the timing of the arrests. Who's left Mexico....Columbia.....?

UEFA will not pull out. Platini is a man of words, not actions, otherwise he would have stood against Blatter himself.

• Like 1

Platini shaked hands with Blatter after the election and then it came the news about the rotation system. Also people like Beckenbauer came into "defense" of Blatter. So that threat of the UEFA was much ado about nothing.

Even Greg Dyke said that, England alone wouldn't have do anything. Germany had declared they won't boycott or drop of the FIFA, Spain, France and Italy allegedly vote for Blatter and Russia in his side. And probably Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium and the nordic ones won't do anything if the bigger ones didn't start... Which big ally is left? People of Daily Mail have been delusional thinking if England left the FIFA, others will do the same, when considering these actions, it's the opposite way.

Are you kidding me? America why!? We could have had the World Cup and then gone in and arrested those people.

Apart from the fact some of them would be dead before then, what you're essentially saying is your country should tolerate FIFA's corruption and dance to their tune until you've got what you want.

Kinda hope most other Americans don't think that way.

:blink:

Apart from the fact some of them would be dead before then, what you're essentially saying is your country should tolerate FIFA's corruption and dance to their tune until you've got what you want.

well it's not like we're getting the olympics any time soon.

Unfortunately many Americans that I know don't really care and think that sport revolves around money and always will and that there's no point in trying to stop that.

Personally I think it was good to arrest them, but it sucks that it will be a long time until I see a world cup in my country. Who know though, maybe we will win 2026...if Blatter dies.

Unfortunately many Americans that I know don't really care and think that sport revolves around money and always will and that there's no point in trying to stop that.

Personally I think it was good to arrest them, but it sucks that it will be a long time until I see a world cup in my country. Who know though, maybe we will win 2026...if Blatter dies.

He's pretty damn fat so there's a good chance of that happening!