FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

Co-hosting is lousy indeed.

That security/economy argument on Mexico is tiring and superficial. We hosted Pan Ams and an incredibly successful U-17 FIFA WC in 2011, our bloodiest year ever according to media. Brazil is hosting WC and Olympics to murder rates similar to Mexico, which are lowering. Our economy may not be the tiger The Economist was talking about some months ago but its solid, and our tycoons seem to be in love with football right now.

Our politicians, both in the government as in the football federation are awful but if there's one thing we can pull is a World Cup. We've done it in short notice like in 1986, with seven years we would do wonders. We have the stadia and the overall structure. DF, Guadalajara, Torreón and soon Monterrey will have WC-ready venues. Many billionaires have teams that could upgrade their stadiums immediatly, I'm talking Slim -new in the business-, Azcárraga, Salinas Pliego and the Zambrano family. Add León, Pachuca, Tijuana, Cancún, Morelia and Puebla to the cities I mentioned and you have a solid slate to start with.

And remember you can't buy passion for football.

CONCACAF is likely to support the US but a Mexican bid would be surprisingly strong.

The majority of my employees have family in Mexico who they visit. All different states. The horror stories are scary. Based on them, I'm convinced concerns about security are not "superficial." I really love Mexico, but I haven't been for years and don't plan on going any time soon -- solely because of the nightmarish crime reports.

Like I said before when the BPL was on free chinese TV there were 300-500 million viewers but then they sold the rights to pay tv

Like I said before when the BPL was on free chinese TV there were 300-500 million viewers but then they sold the rights to pay tv

NASL the CFL and CSA are building a national soccer league operating out of CFL stadiums. Along with the 3 MLS teams this would give us a 10 team national league:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

The majority of my employees have family in Mexico who they visit. All different states. The horror stories are scary. Based on them, I'm convinced concerns about security are not "superficial." I really love Mexico, but I haven't been for years and don't plan on going any time soon -- solely because of the nightmarish crime reports.

FIFA shouldn't care about stories when analyzing a bid but facts they can face like how safe the 2011 U17 was and statistics proving Brazil is no safer than Mexico. Of course my country has some serious problems but I know they aren't critical enough to cancel a bid. Those nightmarish crime reports are probably from Fox News but I can assure you most of our colonial cities and beach resorts are safe destinations.

Mexico has the infrastructure, money and passion to build a serious bid for 2026.

Canada should aim for the CONCACAF Gold Cup instead of the World Cup. They have never hosted it before (although they did host the 1990 NAFC Championship), and would likely be chosen for the Gold Cup host. Meanwhile it would fit with their stadium requirements much more closely than the World Cup.

Canada should aim for the CONCACAF Gold Cup instead of the World Cup. They have never hosted it before (although they did host the 1990 NAFC Championship), and would likely be chosen for the Gold Cup host. Meanwhile it would fit with their stadium requirements much more closely than the World Cup.

Canada will need to invest in new stadium construction and major upgrading to current stadiums to contend. I see no reason to give up a 2026 World Cup bid in favour of a Gold Cup instead. It's not impossible considering Concacaf is looking like the region of choice for 2026. The government will likely back it and help finance it. Biggest hurdle is the obvious one, the USA. Will FIFA prefer exploring a brand new host nation? Or will they prefer going back to the USA for a 2nd run and will know all the stadiums are already in place. It's easy to choose the US when presented with this scenario. Canada is a very well developed rich country and would pull it off if awarded. It will definitely be exciting to watch this race heat up in the coming years.

Edited by dave199

The Gold Cup will not leave the Usa. All about the money.

Whereas the World Cup is a charity? Canada has a much stronger argument to make for hosting for the Gold Cup. They can't give it to the USA every time.

It's not like FIFA has offered Canada the right to host, though. Canada would have to go through a long and expensive process of bidding it is a long shot at winning. Canada has two options.

1. Beg the most corrupt organization in sports to let Canada build expensive stadiums it doesn't need so that organization can suck a lot of money out of Canada's economy.
  2. Take an almost guaranteed chance of hosting a much cheaper event that Canada can host almost entirely using its existing stadia.

Except that the Gold Cup doesn't leave the USA and who knows what the future of CONCACAF and CONEMBOL will bring after 2016 and the joint Copa America.

And only the USA has a right to have FIFA be a leech? If the CSA, the GoC and the provinces want to bid for the World Cup, let them. There is no guarantee the Americans will even bid and Canada has already had 3 successful experiences with FIFA and likely will have two more in the next year.

Canada's stadium infrastructure is woefully inadequate for even the needs of the country now. Venues in Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa are a disgrace. Toronto has no major stadium that is suitable for either American of Association football. The O in Montreal is pushing 40. The CFL would be very successful in Quebec City and Halifax, but no stadium and a constant chicken-egg scenario to get the ball rolling. Canada will offer a Canadian World Cup to FIFA. If FIFA wants it, great. The stadiums will be filled, the cities will be celebratory and the organization and execution of the tournament will be good. And unlike the Olympics FIFA foots pretty much the entire tournament bill.

Plus the Gold Cup is a joke.

• Like 1

Whereas the World Cup is a charity? Canada has a much stronger argument to make for hosting for the Gold Cup. They can't give it to the USA every time.

Facts fly in the face of your statement :P

Edited by Fox334

If Canada hosts a World Cup, that will be the end of football in Canada. The Canadian men's team wouldn't go thru the competitive qualifying rounds that other teams do and would thus be even more humiliated than Brazil was this year. Canada also doesn't have a substantial Latino subpopulation which the US at least has, which buoys the interest in football/soccer.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

If Canada hosts a World Cup, that will be the end of football in Canada. The Canadian men's team wouldn't go thru the competitive qualifying rounds that other teams do and would thus be even more humiliated than Brazil was this year. Canada also doesn't have a substantial Latino subpopulation which the US at least has, which buoys the interest in football/soccer.

Interest in the World Cup is not a recent thing in Canada. We've hosted 3 major FIFA tournaments thus far. All 3 have been complete or near sell-outs

Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about...

Canada has some of the highest attendance for soccer teams in North America. Both the Vancouver Whitecaps and Toronto FC are among the top 4-5 highest attended teams in MLS and both look likely to make the playoffs this year. Toronto FC also has the highest payroll in MLS. Ottawa Fury FC which is just a few months old in the NASL already has the highest attendance in the entire league. The game is exploding in popularity here across all ethnic groups as it is in the USA. Canada got humiliated in 1986 at the world cup but the game continued to grow here and will continue to grow.

Yeah Baron shut up. Canada has one of the largest youth programs in the world, and the women's team is one of the top teams in the entire world. The sport is alive and well in Canada and will only continue to spike upward.