FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

Sure, but I was more or less responding to Tony and ofan97 who seemed to dismiss the notion completely. The fact that Spurs has been working with architects to draw up plans for an NFL compatible stadium shows this is more than pie in the sky and has some legs. They must've had some encouragement from someone involved in the NFL to be putting resources behind such a plan.

That doesn't mean there aren't other hurdles which may or may not be surmountable. But to dismiss the notion entirely isn't right either.

For sure. If it's being discussed, it's certainly noteworthy, so I'm definitely not trying to dismiss the news.

It's interesting though.. I've always noted that the problem with Los Angeles is that they're not going to want to build a stadium unless they know they have the team to fill it (conversely, hard to convince a team to move there if they don't know what the stadium situation is). So if London and Toronto want to skip that part of the process and build an NFL-ready stadium anyway, that's their prerogative. But I think they both need to be prepared for the reality that it's going to take more than a flashy new stadium to lure the NFL. Way easier said than done.

There are three big issues with Toronto (or London or Mexico City) getting an NFL team.

1) I am not trying to sound stereotypical here, but if anyone follows the Blue Jays or Raptors knows, Americans do not like living in Toronto, especially Americans of a darker racial hue. It is even becoming an issue with the Canadian hockey teams, Americans leaving Canadian teams solely because they want to return to the USA.

2) The NFL is so wrapped up in American Patriotism and the military that it is almost inconceivable for their to be a team outside of the USA.

3) Television ratings depress when a non-American team is involved. Quaker highlighted the 1992 and 93 World Series, but also in the last decade when Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver were in the Stanley Cup Finals ratings were depressed. And lets not talk about the Raptors.

Would I like a local NFL team? Yes, do I think it is realistic, no. Plus Canadians that watch the NFL already have a team, we aren't going to drop our beloved Patriots or Saints or Packers or Cowboys or 49ers just because there is a team in Toronto now.

There are three big issues with Toronto (or London or Mexico City) getting an NFL team.

1) I am not trying to sound stereotypical here, but if anyone follows the Blue Jays or Raptors knows, Americans do not like living in Toronto, especially Americans of a darker racial hue. It is even becoming an issue with the Canadian hockey teams, Americans leaving Canadian teams solely because they want to return to the USA.

2) The NFL is so wrapped up in American Patriotism and the military that it is almost inconceivable for their to be a team outside of the USA.

3) Television ratings depress when a non-American team is involved. Quaker highlighted the 1992 and 93 World Series, but also in the last decade when Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver were in the Stanley Cup Finals ratings were depressed. And lets not talk about the Raptors.

Would I like a local NFL team? Yes, do I think it is realistic, no. Plus Canadians that watch the NFL already have a team, we aren't going to drop our beloved Patriots or Saints or Packers or Cowboys or 49ers just because there is a team in Toronto now.

1 and 2 are neither here nor there. The NFL has conquered America. Now they're trying to conquer the world, or at least starting with London. It's been argued that a lot of the people supporting the London games are American ex-pats and that Londoners won't support a team on their own, but clearly the NFL has stepped outside the bounds of American patriotism. It's more logistical concerns like TV ratings and the like that will be the hold up. So #3 is spot on. Not so sure about #1 and #2.

I have to admit, the NFL is so very "star-spangled banner." It's as American as Mom and apple pie. I don't see it as ripe for export. I think foreign teams would have trouble attracting a fan base as well.

Furthermore, I don't really see why the NFL needs to go international. It's America's game. It's a hallowed institution. Why not just be thankful and bask in that success?

• Like 1

The Blue Jays can draw players because they have a history of success. The Raptors have to rely on Europeans and role players. They can't lure the top free agents.

The same thing is true of Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Portland, etc. And I can't remember Seattle luring big name free agents despite its lack of state income tax and better nightlife and luxury goods than those other cities.

I don't think Toronto struggles with NBA free agents because it is in Canada, but rather that it is a cold weather city without a large Afro-Canadian population. Yes, I know that Toronto is 9% black, but Minneapolis is 19% and is still considered a "white city."

Furthermore, I don't really see why the NFL needs to go international. It's America's game. It's a hallowed institution. Why not just be thankful and bask in that success?

I agree entirely. Unfortunately it's not up to us.

• 3 weeks later...

CONCACAF pushing ahead with 2026 World Cup bid

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Aggrieved at missing out on the chance to host either the 2018 or 2022 World Cups, the governing body for soccer in North and Central America and the Caribbean is adamant it should be given the 2026 tournament.

CONCACAF president Jeffrey Webb said it was only fair that the region should be awarded the 2026 World Cup after losing its place in the queue when the world’s governing body FIFA scrapped its rotational policy after selecting Brazil as the 2014 host.

The subsequent decision by FIFA to award the 2018 tournament to Russia then 2022 to Qatar meant thatCONCACAF would have to wait at least 32 years between tournaments after the United States hosted the 1994 World Cup.

“From a CONCACAF perspective, our focus for the World Cup is 2026. We’re committed to that,” Webb told a select group of journalists at a meeting in midtown Manhattan on Tuesday.

“That’s not about the USA hosting the World Cup, for us it’s about a confederation standpoint.

CONCACAF was obviously hard done (by) when (the) rotation stopped, we were the ones who lost out because it should have been our turn after Brazil. When the rotation stopped, obviously it impacted us the most.”

Although FIFA scrapped its rotation policy, it did introduce a new rule stipulating that countries could not host the World Cup if another nation from their confederations had staged either of the past two.

This rule means that Europe and Asia are already out of the running for 2026, leaving CONCACAF as the frontrunners to win the vote ahead of any possible bids from Africa, South America or Oceania.

The U.S., Canada and Mexico have all expressed interest in hosting the 2026 World Cup but Webb said it was paramount that the region threw its weight behind one bid, although he did not rule out the possibility of a co-hosting arrangement.

“Obviously we believe our best chances is to put one member forward, one country forward, one bid forward, that gives us our best opportunity,” he said.

CONCACAF has 35 votes and of course if you split those votes amongst ourselves you’re defeating the purpose.”

The only co-hosted World Cup finals so far were organised by Japan and South Korea in 2002. The tournament presented some logistical problems because Japan and South Korea had separate committee.

FIFA has since said that any future joint bids would have to be organised under a single committee, raising the prospect that the U.S. could join forces with either Mexico or Canada for 2026 if the countries could reach an agreement.

“I think it is very much possible,” said Webb.

FIFA did it in the past in 2002 with Japan and Korea and the experience from that was not too well.

“Obviously there are various costs and so forth increased by having two different local organising committees in two different countries so from that standpoint I thought it (2002) was a logistical nightmare from my memory, but definitely it’s a possibility.”

Co-hosting is a lousy idea.

Forget Mexico. The security risks and economic conditions take them out of the running.

It will probably be either the US or Canada. I can imagine the 2024 Olympics influencing FIFA. If the US hosts 2024, I doubt FIFA would give them the 2026 World Cup too.

Co-hosting is a lousy idea.

Forget Mexico. The security risks and economic conditions take them out of the running.

It will probably be either the US or Canada. I can imagine the 2024 Olympics influencing FIFA. If the US hosts 2024, I doubt FIFA would give them the 2026 World Cup too.

Why not? Brazil and Russia both will have an Olympics and a World Cup in close proximity to each other and both had a lot of work to get ready. The United States will probably have next to nothing in terms of new construction in order to get ready for a World Cup. At most, you're talking about 1 FIFA host city affected by an Olympic effort and it probably means they'll have a brand spanking new venue to use.

I see very few negatives that would influence FIFA's 2026 decision with regard to the United States. Especially if the Olympics are first, that much easier to concentrate on a World Cup afterwards if this is the United States we're talking about.

USA 2026 would be perfect.

Still I wish to see World Cup visiting Australia during my lifetime

250th anniversary of the birth of the country. We'd be glad to share it with the world. USA 2022 should have been it (hope I don't sound too whiny with that like someone who thinks 2018 should be elsewhere, but come on, freakin Qatar), but for all the discussion of organizations like FIFA and the IOC needing a safe pair of hands to handle their event, there are few safer places to come than the United States.

• Like 1

250th anniversary of the birth of the country. We'd be glad to share it with the world. USA 2022 should have been it (hope I don't sound too whiny with that like someone who thinks 2018 should be elsewhere, but come on, freakin Qatar), but for all the discussion of organizations like FIFA and the IOC needing a safe pair of hands to handle their event, there are few safer places to come than the United States.

'Merica

I was very, very disappointed that the USA didn't win 2022. G-d knows its not like Canada is going to host.

Canada

'Merica

I was very, very disappointed that the USA didn't win 2022. G-d knows its not like Canada is going to host.

Why not? Canada would be a great host . I just think they're problem is that FIFA is likely to shaft them in a similar way to Australia (if fronted with a bid from China or the US)

Canada

Why not? Canada would be a great host . I just think they're problem is that FIFA is likely to shaft them in a similar way to Australia (if fronted with a bid from China or the US)

It would but one major stumbling block: the men's team is very bad. CSA should focus on qualifying first not hosting.

• Like 1

Canada

Canada would be a good host. United States would be a better host. It is a competition after all. What FIFA has to gain in Canada isn't even close to what they could gain from the United States. FIFA missed that opportunity for 2022. I don't see them passing it up again for 2026.

World Cup: Sunil Gulati says US may bid to host 2026 tournament, but "not unless the rules change"

After losing out on hosting the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, could the United States make a push to host the 2026 tournament?

Perhaps, but only under certain conditions.

US Soccer Federation president and FIFA Executive Committee member Sunil Gulati participated in a panel discussion along with MLS Commissioner Don Garber as part of the Leaders in Sport conference on Wednesday, and after discussing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, was asked if the US would bid for the following World Cup.

"We're not going to bid unless the rules change," Gulati responded, before going on to contrast the distinctions in transparency standards between FIFA and US Soccer, including financial transparency.

The United States was one of the countries considered to have a very good chance at landing the 2022 World Cup hosting rights, but Qatar was awarded the tournament, presumably to continue recent efforts to host the tournament in countries that hadn't hosted previously (that includes the US in 1994, Japan and South Korea in 2002, South Africa in 2010, and the upcoming 2018 tournament in Russia).

However, widespread allegations of bribes paid to FIFA Executive Committee members reportedly swayed the vote in favor of the Asian country, the smallest ever to be awarded the World Cup.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/05/21/world-cup-sunil-gulati-says-us-may-bid-host-2026-tournament-not-unless-rules

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
World Cup 2014: USA could bid to host 2026 tournament

The United States' "unprecedented" and "staggering" appetite for football could see them bid to host the 2026 World Cup, according to Fifa bosses.

The Americans were knocked out of the 2014 World Cup by Belgium on Tuesday.

However, the level of support for Jurgen Klinsmann's team has been remarkable, with US president Barack Obama among those tweeting support.

"There is a commitment to work with US Soccer," said Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke.

Speaking to Brazil newspaper Globo, Valcke added: "What we see in the United States is staggering. The audience is unprecedented, more than the NBA.

"The country has the largest level of youth soccer in the world, with 20 million young people playing.

"I think after 2022, they have an interest in hosting the 2026 World Cup."

After advancing from a tough group also containing Germany, Portugal and Ghana, the US took Belgium to extra time before eventually being beaten 2-1 in an entertaining match which saw 56 efforts on goal.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has been equally as impressed with the US, and echoed Valcke's sentiments: "The level of interest in the USA is very high.

"This World Cup is really getting under people's skin - the quality of the football is incredible."

US Soccer president and Fifa executive committee member Sunil Gulati has previously said the United States could bid to host the 2026 tournament, but only if bidding rules change.

The US, who previously hosted the World Cup in 1994, lost out to Qatar for the 2022 tournament.

BBC

In 2026 there will be no Blatter on this Earth. ;)

He'll be younger then than Havelange is now, no? I'm not counting too much on a "biological" solution. After all, his recent rant about "interplanetary competitions" may just have been a hidden confession he's not a human being ;-)

Possibly, but in 2016-18, the timeframe for the 2026 process, he'll likely be in his final term as President.

...and may well be busy installing one of his most loyal followers as successor...

• Like 1

If the American mood is as good as it is now with a football competition so far away, the Centennial Copa América (US and its habit of celebrating centennial stuff) to be hosted there in 2016 can be the best ever and 2026 is theirs to lose.

The Centennial Copa America should be a good one, one that hopefully Canada can qualify for. I'd like for a pan-American tournament to be held every 4 years. Hopefully CONMEBOL finds the US-hosted and US-involved tournament to be a cash cow and makes the tournament a permanent event!