FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

USA didnt host FIFA World cup in 1994? Or they must host it too periodically?

Yes, the US did host in 1994. As I have written before, there is no reason why the USA "must" host any event -- that includes OIympics, World Cups or baking contests.

However, your proposed host cities suggest the next time the USA might have an opportunity to host the World Cup would be 2042. I suppose a 48-year gap (or longer -- which you and some others might prefer) could make sense -- except that the football audience has been growing by leaps and bounds in the US. The attention paid to the 2010 World Cup was unprecedented in US history. If FIFA wants really wants to expand and tap into a bigger market, an American World Cup makes a lot of sense. Plus, the 1994 World Cup achieved record attendance and record revenue. I can see why FIFA would be eager to experience that again -- especially in the wake of Qatar, which is likely to be a radically different experience.

I agree. 1994 world cup it was the best i have ever watched from that time. But FIFA has its own ruled, thats why awarded the competition to nations like Qatar. Personally i preferred USA from Qatar for 2022.

If FIFA follows a rotation then u find logic, 2 consecutive world cups in America? 2026 and 2030? concerning that Argentina will go for 2030

I agree. 1994 world cup it was the best i have ever watched from that time. But FIFA has its own ruled, thats why awarded the competition to nations like Qatar. Personally i preferred USA from Qatar for 2022.

If FIFA follows a rotation then u find logic, 2 consecutive world cups in America? 2026 and 2030? concerning that Argentina will go for 2030

Well, I guess I see your point if you consider North America and South America to be one continent. But do you think FIFA would forego USA 2026 because they were hoping for Argentina 2030? I don't know about that one.

For better or worse, FIFA HAS made a distinction between the two continents. CONCACAF is distinct from CONMEBOL. Therefore, I doubt FIFA would necessarily have a problem with USA 2026 and Argentina 2030.

I understand why it is tempting to regard North and South America as one continent. North America only has three countries in it -- one of which is (for the moment) the world's number one economy. It doesn't feel quite fair to factor North America into the continental rotation on equal footing with the other continents. However, geographically North and South America are individually bigger than Europe. Culturally, North and South America are very different as well. So for those of us who live here, it is very peculiar to hear someone suggest that we live on the same continent as Argentina. It sure doesn't feel that way.

OFC is also distinct. That means that Australia must host the world cup every 24 years when the rotation is complete :)

You are putting words in my mouth. I never said "the USA must host every 24 years." I did not say that every confederation is entitled to an equal number of World Cups.

All I said was that that because the USA and Argentina are in different confederations, I don't think FIFA would necessarily have a problem awarding both of them World Cups four years apart.

FIFA announced on October 29, 2007 that it will no longer continue with its continental rotation policy, implemented after the 2006 World Cup host selection. The newest host selection policy is that any country may bid for a World Cup, provided that their continental confederation has not hosted either of the past two World Cups.

Τhat means asia and europe out of selection bid for 2026

No love for North America? Why the hesitation to return to the continent where since the last North American World Cup, you'll have had 2 in South American (understandable if Argentina/Uruguay have the goods for 2030) and then 3 in Asia. I don't see that happening. If 2026 and 2030 get awarded together, FIFA needs to make the ground rules clear and you're right, they may very well say that Europe is eligible for 2026. But that almost seems like 1 big crazy free for all. It might make for a saner process to say no Europe or Asia for 2026 which puts North America in the driver's seat and then make 2030 a contest only for Europe. And if they aren't interested and/or don't want Argentina for 2030, centennial be damned, I think that's what has to happen.

I wouldn't have anything against Concacaf hosting in 2026, just trying to consider the options FIFA has and how they should do it. I really can't see three World Cups in row outside of Europe. Looking beyond 2030 might be a stretch but for me the only realistic options include Europe hosting either 2026 or 2030. It's the core zone of the sport and FIFA can't alienate the traditional powers too much, they've done enough damage already. Each World Cup provides an opportunity to promote the game in one way or another but I fear that the opportunity of 2022 has been blown into a desert wind. The centennial of Arg/Uru might in the end be only a dream, who knows, so NA 2026 and Europe with England in 2030 is also an option.

FIFA isn't totally stupid. They know they've got the most popular sport in the world and the whole planet will watch regardless of where they play the World Cup. Right or wrong, they can do whatever they want and they know it. It's pointless trying to forecast because they're just going to follow the special interests -- wherever they lead.

I really can't see three World Cups in row outside of Europe.

Well, didn't it always alternate between Europe & So. America until 1994? And I never really saw a World Cup in the deserts of Arabia...yet they did it. So why can't they skip one rotation even if that were Sepp Blatter's dying wish? It's their fault they did the 2-for-1 selection in Dec 2010. Why should another confederation pay for their stupidity?

Concerning the continents and world cup i would like to say that i prefer a host country in north america rather than in asia or even africa. Especially in asian countries football isnt so popular except 2-3 of them . And because some american friends maybe find me hostile i say to them that i am in favor of USA against Qatar if 2022 bis is going to be repeated. Middle east to host such a competition? it is failure for me. In what weather they will play? And in a country that has never reached world cup finals. It is absolutely crazy. Blatter resign NOW!

Well, didn't it always alternate between Europe & So. America until 1994? And I never really saw a World Cup in the deserts of Arabia...yet they did it. So why can't they skip one rotation even if that were Sepp Blatter's dying wish? It's their fault they did the 2-for-1 selection in Dec 2010. Why should another confederation pay for their stupidity?

Well, I wouldn't consider Mexico as part of South America but basically you're right if we just say Latin America. Then USA in 1994 also in Americas, not an insignificant issue from the standing point of the European television companies as it was in a relatively comfortable time zone. So far, the competition has alternated between Europe and rest of the world. Now for the first time ever there will be two consecutive tournaments outside of Europe. The World Cup is not anymore as unique as it used to be and making ridiculous decisions like taking it to places like Qatar will eventually make it even more undervalued.

Azerbaijan-Turkey joint bid for World Cup 2026 depends on bid for EURO 2020

Baku, Fineko/abc.az. The Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan (AFFA) has defined itself with procedure of bidding to host maing football tournaments of the world.

AFFA Secretary General Elkhan Mammadov says that joint bidding with Turkey to host the soccer World Cup in 2026 (FIFA World Cup) depends largely on the fate of our joint-with-Georgia bid for EURO 2020.

"If our initiatives do not cause objections from the country’s government, today the scheme of promotion of bids is as follows - EURO 2020, and then World Cup 2026. Such a scheme will also enable to increase AFFA itself to accumulate experience in the world’s major football events," Mammadov said.

The issue with EURO 2020 arose from the fact that UEFA is considering a possibility of changing the scheme of holding the European Cup on football.

28.09.2012 16:40

http://abc.az/eng/news/68374.html