FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

The nfl will not have an OCD breakdown if the symmetry of the league is broken. As long they make more money than they did before, they can live with uneven conferences or just one big conference. Further league expansion also makes sense given the talks of regular and post season expansion.

the only real reason I can see against expansion is the dissolution of the talent pool. However, thats already the nature of professional sports leagues with the best players ending up in the largest markets or the best teams or whoever offers the most money. If anything an expansion draft would help with parity in the league.

The golden number of 32 is desirable not because the league likes symmetry but rather because expanding and eliminating the divisions would kill the divisional rivalry games that are a huge help in selling tickets. The owners are vehemently opposed to further expansion because of this.

Expansion is possible only if it leaves the San Francisco vs Seattle, Chicago vs Green Bay and Pittsburgh vs Baltimore games intact. Which would require creating an additional division in Europe or Asia.

That's way too favored towards Europe. Although I do agree with you that Europe should have more than any other continent I believe:

Host: 1

Europe: 10

Asia: 4

North America: 5

South America: 7

Africa: 4

Oceania: 1

Hard to take you seriously when you're suggesting 7 teams in South America out of the 10 that compete.

13 is the right number for Europe. It's similar to the dynamics of the NCAA Basketball Tournament where the number seems high, but the performance justifies it. Some of the UEFA members have even said there should be more sides from Europe because those teams are better than the 4th or 5th team from the other confederations. And if they did expand the World Cup, wouldn't surprise me in the least to see another UEFA side or 2 get added.

7 qualifiers out of 10 participants in South America sounds just slightly too much. Only just.

Yeah, maybe 5 or 5,5 places would be ideal. Generally I would like to see more intercontinental play-offs, but they are politically tricky for being so uncertain in terms of confederation allocations especially with Africa and Asia most likely not being favored by them.

That's way too favored towards Europe. Although I do agree with you that Europe should have more than any other continent I believe:

Host: 1

Europe: 10

Asia: 4

North America: 5

South America: 7

Africa: 4

Oceania: 1

South America shouldn't have 7! They only have 10 Teams in South America.

Europe should keep as 13 or maybe 14.

Seeing as though Europe is the most dominating and South America is 2nd:

Host Nation = 1 or 2.

Europe = 14.

South America = 5.

Africa = 4 or 5.

Asia = 3.

North, Central America and Caribbean = 3.

Oceania = 1.

Host Nation = 1 or 2.

Europe = 14.

South America = 5.

Africa = 4 or 5.

Asia = 3.

Oceania = 1.

Why did AFC and CONCACAF each lose a place from your initial post?

South America shouldn't have 7! They only have 10 Teams in South America.

Europe should keep as 13 or maybe 14.

Host Nation = 1 or 2.

Europe = 14.

South America = 5.

Africa = 4 or 5.

Asia = 3.

Oceania = 1.

Ok looking back maybe South America shouldn't have seven, but north america should certainly not have 3! Right now NA has 4 of anything they should have 5.

40 teams in the WC is indeed absolute nonsense. Even in World Cups or Euros you get really poor teams playing the first round. Allocation of the 32 places is a no brainer, really. I don't get some people here saying Oceania deserves a full slot (see New Zealand's level last year) or even two (Fiji? lmao).

What should really happen is AFC merging with OFC -NZL would actually benefit from playing against them-, and America being a single confed. This Cup was extremely good for American teams with 8 out of 10 advancing to the second round.

Host 1

Europe 12 (right now is 13, a weird number for qualifying purposes and a bit too much for a global event)

America 9 (right now is 4.5 + 3.5)

Asia Pacific 5 (right now is 4.5 + 0.5)

Africa 5

Europe is a weird case because of their leagues grabbing practically all football attention for three years until WC comes, but in 2014, despite demonstrating they're the best confederation, giving them 13 or 14 slots is just too much, a lot of their teams are just plain failures in the first round. CONMEBOL has been way more effective in terms of having its teams advance for the second round.

UEFA should just have 8 groups in the qualifiers, winners advance, second places have a playoff.

Blatter: Canada on its way to World Cup bid

TORONTO — Sepp Blatter appeared at peace.

Perhaps it was lingering memories of a chaotic Brazilian World Cup that have FIFA’s president so happy to be in Canada. Maybe it was a modestly attended press conference where he faced no questions about bidding corruption, 2018 World Cup host Russia’s alleged military involvement in Ukraine or labour rights in 2022 host Qatar.

Whatever the reason, Canada suits Blatter just fine. So fine in fact that Blatter didn’t have to be asked about a possible World Cup in Canada — he brought it up on his own.

“Let’s go to see if you can bring the famous FIFA’s World Cup we just played in Brazil to your country,” he said Monday. “I’m sure that this country will be as calm as it is now, and tell me one country in the world actually that is very calm. And here, I feel home.”

That’s good news for Canadian soccer ahead of the Under-20 Women’s World Cup, which begins Tuesday and runs through Aug. 24 in Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Moncton, N.B.

Canada opens play Tuesday against Ghana in Toronto. The 16-team event is a precursor to next year’s Women’s World Cup, which will move from 16 teams to 24.

Blatter called the tournaments a necessary step to a successful bid by the Canadian Soccer Association for the men’s tournament.

“It’s time. It’s a project and if you’re going to have a project like the FIFA World Cup, it takes some time,” he said. “You have had the courage and it was necessary to (CSA president Victor Montagliani) to have the courage to ask, to organize FIFA’s Women’s World Cup with 24 teams. It will be the first time.”

The CSA has said it plans to enter a formal bid for the 2026 World Cup.

“We’re the only G8 country that hasn’t hosted a World Cup …,” said Montagliani. “I think we’ve sort of started to shed our humbleness a little bit … I think that’s our next step of evolution in terms of the growth of the game, and I think something that not only bodes well for our country but also the continent and will help our neighbours as well.”

None of which actually guarantees Canada will host a World Cup.

Canada won the bidding to both women’s tournaments in 2011 after its lone opposition, Zimbabwe, pulled out of consideration. Canada previously hosted the men’s Under-17 World Cup in 1987 and the men’s Under-20 World Cup in 2007, as well as the first women’s under-20 tournament in 2002.

There’s also the matter of a significant disparity between the women’s and men’s teams.

The women’s side, led by star Christine Sinclair of London, Ont., is ranked seventh in the world and recently won bronze at the 2012 London Games. The men are 118th in the world, have only a 1986 World Cup appearance to their credit and are early in a rebuilding process.

But Blatter was quick to reminisce about Canada’s soccer history. He recalled the decision made in Montreal by the FIFA Congress in 1976 to expel South Africa for its then pro-apartheid stance. He also downplayed Canada’s geographic disadvantage as a possible World Cup host.

“The distances? What are distances?” he said. “We have just been in Brazil. And you know Brazil is a country with 200 million people, and we have been in three difference zones of climate. If you play in Canada, we will be in the same zone of climate. … In Brazil we were at the equator. It was hot, humid, sometimes raining.”

Brazil is already in the past for FIFA. Canada, if Blatter is to be believed, could be in its future if the women’s tournaments are a success.

“Next year there is no Brazil. Because Brazil is still in the air somewhere,” he said. “But next year it’s not Brazil. It’s the under-20 and then (the Women’s World Cup). There’s no (other) big competition next year. So let’s go.”

Source:http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blatter-canada-on-its-way-to-world-cup-bid/

• 2 weeks later...

After Brazil, Russia and Qatar, Canada would definitely be a safe pair of hands.

I think the chaotic reference with regard to 2014 was due to the nature of the building works. The stadium in Sao Paolo had not even had a close to capacity crowed before it held the opening game.

Whilst it will be a big ask for Canada to host the World Cup, new or redeveloped stadia in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Regina, Ottawa and Hamilton can all be temporarily expanded to meet the minimum requirement of capacity. Calgary will likely join the stadium building club soon, whilst Edmonton's stadium can be updated. The CFL might have reached the Atlantic with a new Halifax stadium. Montreal's Olympic stadium can have its roof removed and can be dug down removing where the running track was to provide a capacity of 70,000 seats, leaving only Toronto as an issue

Can the Toronto Rogers arena be used? Will Toronto accept only earlier games allowing the BMO Field to be used? Or can a new stadium of 25,000 seats be built for the Argonauts .... with the ability to add a temporary expansion to 65,000 seats meaning Toronto can host the opening game?

Agreement with CFL could allow their season in 2026 to start two weeks later meaning the stadia would be available

Final: Montreal - 73,000 seats

Semi: Edmonton 60,000 seats, Vancouver 60,000 seats

QF: above plus Toronto 65,000 seats

L16: above plus Winnipeg 40,000 seats, Regina 40,000 seats, Ottawa 45,000 seats, Halifax 40,000 seats

Groups: above plus Toronto BMO stadium 40,000 seats, Hamilton, 40,000 seats, Calgary 40, 000 seats

11 stadia, 10 cities - 3 new build, 1 major update

I'm pretty sure Toronto would get the Final and Opening Game if Canada were to Host, which they probably will in 2026. Seeing as though Europe can't Host in 2026, I would support a Canada 2026 Bid.

Toronto - New National Stadium (80,000 Seats) - Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches (Including Opening Match). New Stadium.

Toronto - BMO Field (45,000 Seats) - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

Montreal - Olympic Stadium (70,000 Seats) - Semi-Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (60,000 Seats) - Semi-Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

Calgary - McMahon Stadium (58,000 Seats) - Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

Vancouver - BC Place (55,000 Seats) - 3rd-4th Place Play-Off, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Minor Renovations.

Ottawa - New Stadium (50,000 Seats) - Round of 16 and Group Matches. New Stadium.

Winnipeg - Investors Group Field (45,000 Seats) - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Expansion.

Regina - New Stadium (42,000 Seats) - Group Matches. New Stadium.

Quebec City - New Stadium (40,000 Seats) - Group Matches. New Stadium.

St. John's - New Stadium (40,000 Seats) - Group Matches. New Stadium.

Moncton - Moncton Stadium (40,000 Seats) - Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

12 Stadiums in 11 Cities, with Toronto having 2 Stadiums. Opening and Closing Ceremony at the New National Stadium in Toronto, Hosting the Opening Match and The Final.

Not bad Tony, but Calgary would likely construct a new stadium. Ottawa doesn't need a new stadium because they just renovated Frank Clair. Also, St John's would not host games, it's much too small. Halifax, could support games. Moncton is possible, but I could also see a new Whitecaps or Impact stadium, or Hamilton instead. Rarely does the final stadium host the opening game, which I could see go to Montreal.

Not bad Tony, but Calgary would likely construct a new stadium. Ottawa doesn't need a new stadium because they just renovated Frank Clair. Also, St John's would not host games, it's much too small. Halifax, could support games. Moncton is possible, but I could also see a new Whitecaps or Impact stadium, or Hamilton instead. Rarely does the final stadium host the opening game, which I could see go to Montreal.

Fair Point. The only recent Fifa World Cup's I can think of that have had the Opening Match and The Final at the same Stadium is France 1998 at the Stadium France and South Africa 2010 at the FNB Stadium. Russia 2018 will also have the same Stadium Hosting the Opening Match and The Final.

Of course, Japan/South Korea 2002 was going to have different Stadiums for the Opening Match and The Final, with South Korea Hosting the Opening Match at the Seoul World Cup Stadium and Japan Hosting The Final at the Nissan Stadium in Yokohama. Germany 2006 had the Opening Match at the Allianz Arena in Munich and The Final at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin. Brazil 2014 had the Opening Match at the Arena Sao Paulo in Sao Paulo and The Final at the Maracana Stadium in Rio De Janeiro. Russia 2018 will have the Opening Match and The Final both at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow. Not sure about Qatar 2022's Plans yet, but I think the Plan is for the Brand New Lusail Iconic Stadium to Host both the Opening Match and The Final. For some reason, I wouldn't rule out Toronto Hosting the Opening Match and The Final if Canada Host in 2026, but I wouldn't rule out Montreal Hosting the Opening Match either. I think it's quite certain that Toronto would get The Final though, would You agree? I'm quite certain that Montreal will get 1 Semi-Final and I wouldn't rule out Calgary getting 1 Semi-Final instead of Edmonton actually.

Toronto would get the final for sure. Likely that the semi finals would be in Montreal and Vancouver. Calgary would be too small.

I like the idea of the opening match being somewhere else, in such a diverse and large nation like Canada.

Odds are if Canada would host 2026 (fat chance, IMO) the finals would be in Toronto and the opening match would be in Montreal. Vancouver and Edmonton would probably host either a semi or a third place match.

Having been to Moncton's stadium this week I really don't see it as worthy of holding a world cup match (as much as I'd love to see that kind of event in New Brunswick I think it's really unrealistic). Its not conveniently located and the permanent capacity is only 10,000.

I would personally go with twelve stadiums in eleven cities: Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

Edited by Fox334

I would personally go with twelve stadiums in eleven cities: Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

Probably not. Not after Russia's recalcitrance in dropping down the host cities to 9 instead of 11 at FIFA's recommendation, and if that like sh*thole in the desert will host 2022 with only 9 stadia, I am sure FIFA will keep hosts-post-2018 to the 9 that they prefer.

Just make it 12 in 12 cities across the country.

Vancouver - Calgary - Edmonton - Regina - Winnipeg - Hamilton - Toronto - Ottawa - Moncton - Montreal - Quebec City - Halifax

And a minimum of 64 locales across the Provinces and Territories. Each "team base camp city" should have access to an airport, capable of supporting small jet aircraft for visiting teams.

I do like the idea of having 12 Stadiums in 11 Cities. For example, in England's Bid, I would have had:

London - Wembley Stadium (90,000 Seats) - Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches (Including The Opening Match). No Works Needed.

London - Emirates Stadium (60,361 Seats) - Semi-Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. No Works Needed.

Manchester - Old Trafford (76,000 Seats) - Semi-Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. No Works Needed.

Liverpool - Anfield (51,000 Seats) - Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

Newcastle - St James' Park (51,000 Seats) - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Renovation.

Sunderland - Stadium Of Light (50,000 Seats) - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Renovation.

Nottingham - New Stadium (50,000 Seats) - Round of 16 and Group Matches. New Stadium.

Birmingham - New Stadium (45,000 Seats) - Round of 16 and Group Matches. New Stadium.

Leeds - Elland Road (45,000 Seats) - Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

Milton Keynes - Stadium:mk (45,000 Seats) - Group Matches. Expansion.

Portsmouth - New Stadium (45,000 Seats) - Group Matches. New Stadium.

Plymouth - Home Park (45,000 Seats) - Group Matches. Renovation and Expansion.

That's an Example. Like I said, 12 Stadiums in 11 Cities, with London Hosting 2 Stadiums, sounds like a Good Plan. The same could be done with a Canada Bid for the 2026 Fifa World Cup, with Toronto having 2 Stadiums.