FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

I think Canada would have the edge over Usa, for the simple fact that Canada has never hosted the World Cup, Usa hosted in 1994.

You mentioned that earlier. Tough to predict what FIFA will do after awarding a World Cup to Qatar, but I think Canada has a lot of work to do before they are in the conversation to host a World Cup, even if their only competition comes from the United States. Considering the shitshow that is likely to be the 2022 World Cup, I have a feeling FIFA going to follow the IOC route and pick a "safe and reliable" choice. Assuming they don't change their own rules to allow Asia or Europe to submit a bid, that choice will probably be the United States.

I personally don't think Canada is a bad choice as a host. Yes they need a lot of work, but no more than Brazil or South Africa. And saying that a country that needs to build/refurbish is a drawback, you would have never had France 98 or Germany 06. Plus look at the building orgy of Korea/Japan.

Canada needs some work but it is not the need of stadium infrastructure that will be the significant issue.

Marseilles to Paris: 96 CDN

Berlin to Stuttgart: 107

Rio to Manaus: 246

Moscow to Kazan: 87

Denver to Chicago: 149

Milan to Naples: 90

Los Angeles to New York: 180

Cape Town to Johannesburg: 140

Winnipeg to Montreal: 294

Vancouver to Toronto: 329

Transportation in this country horrendous between cities, and expensive.

You take the existing VIA rail and actually implement that high speed rail study done a while back for Toronto and Montreal.

You also improve domestic air links between cities. Each Provincial Capital is linked with each other and so forth.

You're from Australia and you know about the Toronto-Montreal HSR study? I'm impressed. I would venture to guess most Canadians don't even know about it.

Also, in response to some of the other posters on this thread, I think Canada's odds for a 2026 World Cup are pretty solid, South Africa also had a poorly performing national team when they bid, professional football (soccer) has made great strides in Canada in the past decade and this would also be a great catalyst for the maturing of a North American soccer tradition.

You take the existing VIA rail and actually implement that high speed rail study done a while back for Toronto and Montreal.

You also improve domestic air links between cities. Each Provincial Capital is linked with each other and so forth.

Its still expensive to fly though between cities.

You're from Australia and you know about the Toronto-Montreal HSR study? I'm impressed. I would venture to guess most Canadians don't even know about it.

Also, in response to some of the other posters on this thread, I think Canada's odds for a 2026 World Cup are pretty solid, South Africa also had a poorly performing national team when they bid, professional football (soccer) has made great strides in Canada in the past decade and this would also be a great catalyst for the maturing of a North American soccer tradition.

Via sucks, no amount of money could turn the existing Via infrastructure into something usable. There has been discussion of connecting the Windsor to Quebec City corridor by high speed rail for more than a decade now, it will not happen given the current political climate in Canada and the need for almost 7 billion dollars in transportation improvements within the City of Toronto alone. Canadian rail is no where near as bad as it is in Australia. But, it is still no where near the level needed to host a World Cup.

All major Canadian cities are connected by Air Canada or West Jet. Its just expensive.

Darn right!

The airfare thing seems like a very small issue. Canada has the airports needed for the world cup: they would just have to increase capacity on flights. It should be very easy to sign a temporary contract with a small airline company to operate flights as a part of Air Canada. Almost all big airlines do that already: see Air Canada Express.

The bigger issue for me is the stadiums. If FIFA has to choose between Canadian stadiums of 35k capacity and American stadiums of 65k capacity the elephant in the south is the obvious choice. Canada is going to have to build stadiums far beyond what is really needed for Canadian football teams, and convincing the public this is a good idea is going to be very hard.

The airfare thing seems like a very small issue. Canada has the airports needed for the world cup: they would just have to increase capacity on flights. It should be very easy to sign a temporary contract with a small airline company to operate flights as a part of Air Canada. Almost all big airlines do that already: see Air Canada Express.

The bigger issue for me is the stadiums. If FIFA has to choose between Canadian stadiums of 35k capacity and American stadiums of 65k capacity the elephant in the south is the obvious choice. Canada is going to have to build stadiums far beyond what is really needed for Canadian football teams, and convincing the public this is a good idea is going to be very hard.

That's why there is such thing as TEMPORARY seating. As much as I am against Qatar getting the 2022 Fifa World Cup, they have the right idea in terms of after World Cup use of Stadiums. Al Gharafa and Al Rayyan Stadium's will have about 44,000 Seats during World Cup, after World Cup will have around 21,000 Seats. Canada could do the same. Well, BC Place's capacity would need no work, just maybe facility and structural minor touches, seeing as though by 2026, Fifa's requirements will be even stricter. As people would argue that BC Place is fine as it is, that's true for now, but in 12 years time, requirements grow.

Well, BC Place's capacity would need no work, just maybe facility and structural minor touches, seeing as though by 2026, Fifa's requirements will be even stricter. As people would argue that BC Place is fine as it is, that's true for now, but in 12 years time, requirements grow.

How do you know? Clairvoyant? Requirements will surely change over the years, but you like all of us here have no clue what exactly they will be for 2026.

Canadian stadiums would most likely be at Grey Cup capacities (over 50,000), with the possible exception of Moncton, Quebec City and Halifax (though there is the legacy of them getting a CFL team)

Well it does work for the Grey Cup. But a World Cup would need more than scaffolding tiered stands with bench seating. It would have to have individual seating and be stable, if temporary concourses are built, they will need their own concessions and such.

Ok. Arena Corinthians is the prime example. Temporary steel seating.

Ok. Arena Corinthians is the prime example. Temporary steel seating.

It has the added 17,000 temporary bleacher seating due to the request of 65,000 minimum for the Opening Match. This last minute decision of sorts necessitated for such a move, as the stadium was designed to be up to 70,000 capacity, but the shortening time frame to complete the stadium forced organizers to go with a quick fix approach.

Canada would be foolish to offer temporary bleacher seating, especially if a potential US bid would have all individual seater stadiums ready to go. You put the temporary tiers you would for a Grey Cup, but with individual seating. You turn any existing bench seating to individual seats.

Make Montreal host the Opening Match at the Olympic Stadium. The lower bowl would be totally reconstructed. A new roof similar to Vancouver's BC Place would be constructed. A hanging video screen can be placed. The existing video walls would be turned into seating. Make capacity as much as 70,000.

Edited by Lord David

Canadian stadiums would most likely be at Grey Cup capacities (over 50,000), with the possible exception of Moncton, Quebec City and Halifax (though there is the legacy of them getting a CFL team)

? The Grey Cup has recently been held at a 32k stadium. Canada only has four 50k stadiums.

Are you talking about the 2013 one? It was held at Regina, Saskatchewan at Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field at 44,710 capacity, which it had upgrades specifically for that event.

By 2026 or bid time, Regina is destined to have a new stadium at 30,000-35,000 capacity, expandable to 50,000 for major events and the Grey Cup.

The minimum capacity for the Grey Cup is 40,000. You add FIFA requirements of individual seating, press facilities etc and it can work.

Toronto - 100,000

Montreal - 70,000

Vancouver - 54,000

Edmonton - 54,000+

Calgary - 50,000+

Regina 50,000

Winnipeg - 40,000

Hamilton - 40,000

Ottawa - 40,000+

Moncton - 40,000

Quebec City - 40,000

Halifax - 40,000

Edited by Lord David

If it wasn't for Qatar getting the 2022 World Cup, and China's human rights issues, in terms of Stadiums, China would be suitable:

Beijing National Stadium, Beijing - 80,000 Seats - Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches (Including Opening Match). Exisiting. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Guangdong Olympic Stadium, Guangzhou - 80,000 Seats - Semi-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Shanghai Stadium, Shanghai - 80,000 Seats - Semi-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. Minor Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Nanjing Olympic Sports Centre, Nanjing - 60,000 Seats - 3rd/4th Place Play-Off, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Shenzhen Stadium, Shenzhen - 60,000 Seats - Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Shenyang Olympic Sports Centre, Shenyang - 60,000 Seats - Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Chongqing Olympic Sports Centre, Chongqing - 59,000 Seats - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Hohhot City Stadium, Hohhot - 53,000 Seats - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. Major Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

If it wasn't for Qatar getting the 2022 World Cup, and China's human rights issues, in terms of Stadiums, China would be suitable:

Beijing National Stadium, Beijing - 80,000 Seats - Final, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches (Including Opening Match). Exisiting. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Guangdong Olympic Stadium, Guangzhou - 80,000 Seats - Semi-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Shanghai Stadium, Shanghai - 80,000 Seats - Semi-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. Minor Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Nanjing Olympic Sports Centre, Nanjing - 60,000 Seats - 3rd/4th Place Play-Off, Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Shenzhen Stadium, Shenzhen - 60,000 Seats - Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Shenyang Olympic Sports Centre, Shenyang - 60,000 Seats - Quarter-Final, Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Chongqing Olympic Sports Centre, Chongqing - 59,000 Seats - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. No Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

Hohhot City Stadium, Hohhot - 53,000 Seats - Round of 16 and Group Matches. Existing. Major Renovations. Permanent Capacity.

If you're gonna give the Final to Beijing, give the opener to Shanghai. Those 2 cities are #1 and #1a in China. Or you could easily make a case for Shanghai to get the Final

If you're gonna give the Final to Beijing, give the opener to Shanghai. Those 2 cities are #1 and #1a in China. Or you could easily make a case for Shanghai to get the Final

Fair enough. IMO, the Final should always be in the capital, with exceptiom to Rio.

Exception* correction.

1974, 1994, 2002, 2010 and now 2014 - quite a number of exceptions already.

The most important match should be held in the most suitable stadium, whether that is in the capital or not is irrelevant.

I know. I said IMO it should, not it is. For example, if my England hosted, Wembley in London would host the Opening and Final. For France, it would be Paris. Germany would be Berlin. Italy would be Rome. Russia 2018 will be Moscow.

Ottawa would not host the final in Canada, neither would Washington in the United States.

Ok MOST countries would.

My England = My London would.

France = Paris would.

Italy = Rome would.

Spain = Madrid would (even though Barcelona has larger Stadium).

Portugal = Lisbon would.

Poland = Warsaw would.

Ukraine = Kiev would.

Sweden = Stockholm would.

Norway = Oslo would.

Wales = Cardiff would.

Ireland = Dublin would.

Mexico = Mexico City would.

Chile = Santiago would.

Peru = Lima would.

China = Beijing would.

South Korea = Seoul would.