FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

With Europe hosting in 2018 and the Asian Football Confederation in 2022, the number of possible countries to hold the games is quite limit and arguably it is the turn of the CONACAF region.

As for Canada over the USA, I think the following might act in Canada's favour.

1) Stadiums. Whilst of course they are not as large as the stadiums in the USA used for American Football, most of them are of a size where the 'soccer' clubs could use these facilities and any updates. Additionally, the Canadian Football League teams provide an automatic team to use the stadiums post games if they are not already do so. Whilst there is talk of a large Toronto stadium, even if the country did not go down this route, there might be the opportunity to expand the Montreal stadium, using what they did with the Etihad stadium in Manchester, digging downwards instead of building upwards. The Skydome could then be Toronto's stadium

2) Enthusiasm for soccer in Canada. If the drawing power of the new MLS teams are anything to go by, there would be great support and as with USA1994, a Canada tournament would prove the catalyst for creating a national soccer league.

3) FIFA seems to have a soft spot for Canada, with the Canadians having hosted the U-17 FIFA World Cup in 1997, the U-20 FIFA World Cup in 2007 and the FIFA Womens World Cup in 2015. The next step would be the host a full FIFA World Cup.

It depends on whether FIFA will continue with the desire to see the game expanded into new territories.

Oops forgot to mention the 2002 FIFA U-19 Women's World Cup, also held in Canada

Stadiums that could be used: (Not that I condone countries hosting by scoring no goals at a previous tournament). Qualifying for 2014/2018 is a must.

Vancouver - BC Place - 54,000

Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium 58,000

Calgary - New Stadium W temporary seating 45,000

Regina - New Regina Stadium W temporary seating 45,000

Winnipeg - Blue bombers Stadium w temporary seating 41,000

Hamilton - Pan American Stadium W temporary seating 52,000

Toronto - Rogers Centre - 52,000, New Stadium 80-90,000

Ottawa - Frank Clair Stadium W temporary seating 45,000

Montreal - Olympic Stadium 67,000

10 stadiums right there. Only 2 are not planned atm. All the others exist/will exist/or be under renovations by 2016.

@Crusader, I doubt they expand the Olympic Stadium. There is no tenant.

1. When did Qatar qualified the last time? As long as Mr.Blatter leads FIFA everything is possible.

As u well know, Qatar 2022 is a controversial choice. Either it was bought and/or FIFA wanted to strike one blow ahead of the IOC in having a/the BIg ONe in the Middle East. I don't see what major points FIFA would gain in giving it to Canada???

Headline: "2026 from FIFA Saves Dwindling Canadian Geese Problem" :blink:

2. EURO 2008, WC 2010, EURO 2012 = All host countries failed in the prelims,

Well, there you go. And if a soccer mini-power like Canada drops out after the prelims, then the box-office might see a significant drop-off vs. the larger stadia and a population base 10x Canada's in the U.S.

I mean the US is going to bid for sure, I guess Canada doesn't have better things to do than even consider this. :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Stadiums that could be used: (Not that I condone countries hosting by scoring no goals at a previous tournament). Qualifying for 2014/2018 is a must.

10 stadiums right there. Only 2 are not planned atm. All the others exist/will exist/or be under renovations by 2016.

I think they would want to have a city in the Atlantic Provinces represented.

Whilst the Olympic Stadium in Montreal does not have a regular tenant, I have read it is used by the CFL team and the MLS team for occasional games.

It would be cheaper than building a major stadium in Toronto unless there is a plan for a new tenant here.

Well, there you go. And if a soccer mini-power like Canada drops out after the prelims, then the box-office might see a significant drop-off vs. the larger stadia and a population base 10x Canada's in the U.S.

Most attend 2007 FIFA u-20 world cup ever when Canada lost three straight does not equate to an attendance problem. If FIFA is keen to developing the game and bring the event to new markets then Canada off course would be the obvious choice in CONCACAF. Otherwise its Mexico or the USA.

Another thing to consider is that FIFA may change its rules again.

With 2014 continental rotation approach but after only Brasil bid, FIFA changed the rules so that a confederation could not bid if it had held the games in the previous two cycles.

This means in 2026 FIFA will be left with Oceania, Africa, South and North America. Rule out New Zealand and with Africa and South America, the two best placed countries will have hosted in 2010 and 2014.

Will FIFA want to see an option where only the USA bids and wins by default or will they charged their own rules again, and allow Europe to bid meaning the likes of England and Spain could enter the fray?

Sepp Blatter said in 2011 he would not seek re-election in 2015 which is two years before the 2026 are decided.

You guys don't realize that Canada has been chosen to host the 2015 Women's World Cup? Are you guys blind or deaf or something (or both blind and deaf)? :blink:

And that means what?

Germany 2006 Men - Germany 2011 Women

only a 5 year gap.

Between 2015 and 2026 is a 11 year gap. I think thats enough if 2015 turns out pretty well for Canada.

Exactly one does not have a bearing on the other.

I think it would suggest that FIFA views Canada favourably - 4 age group / womens tournaments in 28years from 1987-2015 tends to suggest a positive opinion.

Two things that could scupper a USA bid in 2026

1) the 250th anniversary of the United States of America - 4th July and all that. In a country where Association Football is the 5th sport, does FIFA want their pre-eminent tournament swamped by this event? (this tends to be around Quarter Final time)

2) A successful Winter Olympics bid .... will the IOC impose an 'Istanbul' ruling, about the Olympics being the major sporting event held by a country in any calendar year?

I think it would suggest that FIFA views Canada favourably - 4 age group / womens tournaments in 28years from 1987-2015 tends to suggest a positive opinion.

Two things that could scupper a USA bid in 2026

1) the 250th anniversary of the United States of America - 4th July and all that. In a country where Association Football is the 5th sport, does FIFA want their pre-eminent tournament swamped by this event? (this tends to be around Quarter Final time)

2) A successful Winter Olympics bid .... will the IOC impose an 'Istanbul' ruling, about the Olympics being the major sporting event held by a country in any calendar year?

WOG would be five months apart from WC so idk

WOG would be five months apart from WC so idk

I was thinking more of the 250th anniversary having an impact on the World Cup as it would fall right in the middle of the knock out phases - in South Africa they were on 2nd and 3rd July, and in Brazil, they will be on 4th and 5th .... I think FIFA would want the World Cup to be the biggest show in town

I was thinking more of the 250th anniversary having an impact on the World Cup as it would fall right in the middle of the knock out phases - in South Africa they were on 2nd and 3rd July, and in Brazil, they will be on 4th and 5th .... I think FIFA would want the World Cup to be the biggest show in town

Eh. That's 14 years down the road. The calendar can be adjusted. It's not like the US is a one-city country.

Precedents:

1. France 1998, there were: the Tour de France and France's own Bastille Day (July 14th) to contend with.

2. Just now in the UK - Queen's Diamond Jubilee end of April; the Olympics in July.

Yet, they both still happened.

July 4, 2026 will be a Saturday, The Finals will happen the next day. Perfect timing.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Eh. That's 14 years down the road. The calendar can be adjusted. It's not like the US is a one-city country.

Precedents:

1. France 1998, there were: the Tour de France and France's own Bastille Day (July 14th) to contend with.

2. Just now in the UK - Queen's Diamond Jubilee end of April; the Olympics in July.

Yet, they both still happened.

July 4, 2026 will be a Saturday, The Finals will happen the next day. Perfect timing.

Except the 250th celebrations will be nationwide and there will certainly be celebrations in every American city. The Bastille Day celebrations happen every year. It was not a particularly significant celebration with it being the 211th anniversary in 1998. And the FIFA World Cup finished on the 12th July, two days before Bastille Day, not in the middle of it.

Football is the national sport in France, in the USA it is a minor sport. Will the US be prepared to interrupt such a major cultural event for a soccer tournament?

There was close to a couple of months between the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics in London - we are talking a day between the 4th July and a likely date for the World Cup quarter-finals. FIFA cannot bring the tournament forward as it will clash with all the European Leagues and no European country, the most powerful bloc, will not vote for the USA if that is what they proposed

I bet the tournament will return to (Western) Europe after 20 years then. The rotation policy can be changed, the rules of FIFA are made only to suit the specific political situation of each bid cycle. If Asia and Europe are ruled out, it leaves very little of the rest of the world, probably only North America. Africa is not likely to have candidates, South America is waiting for 2030. Even with Asia there'd be probably only China and they may not be willing to host it yet.

Except the 250th celebrations will be nationwide and there will certainly be celebrations in every American city. The Bastille Day celebrations happen every year. It was not a particularly significant celebration with it being the 211th anniversary in 1998. And the FIFA World Cup finished on the 12th July, two days before Bastille Day, not in the middle of it.

Football is the national sport in France, in the USA it is a minor sport. Will the US be prepared to interrupt such a major cultural event for a soccer tournament?

There was close to a couple of months between the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics in London - we are talking a day between the 4th July and a likely date for the World Cup quarter-finals. FIFA cannot bring the tournament forward as it will clash with all the European Leagues and no European country, the most powerful bloc, will not vote for the USA if that is what they proposed

I'm sorry. This is stupid.

I'm sorry. This is stupid.

Why?

Are you suggesting that there will not be a major 250th celebration in the USA of the Declaration of Independence?

FIFA would not want to host their pre-eminent competition held once every 4 years if it takes back seat or 2nd place to another major event.

You should be aware the Los Angeles bid to host the 1976 Olympics as part to celebrate the bi-centennial of the United States, and came third .... quite possibly because the IOC didn't want the games to be part of another more important celebration to the host nation.

This was what happened in 1976

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Bicentennial

LA didn't get 76 to avoid battle between USSR and USA

Except Moscow got the most votes in Round 1 and then the West backed Canada to keep them out of the Soviets hands.

Moscow went head to head with LA for 1980 (with the US getting the Winter Games) whilst LA were uncontested for 1984.

I still say that the Summer Games and World Cup want to be the biggest show in town so won't want it clashing or close to a huge national celebration (and I mean less than a month between the two)

In my opinion

Montreal was the compromise candidate. But remember, they gave Winter 1976 to Denver as a 'Bicentennial gift' to the US (or however the US wanted to run with it). In 1980, Moscow got it because the IOC was partially ticked off by Denver's turning back PLUS they had no choice for Winter 1980 but a US city again because Lake Placid was the ONLY bidder. So, naturally, they gave the other plum to the other non-US bidder, Moscow; and Winter went to Lake Placid again. That's how that played out.

A World Cup 2026 and the 250th anniversary of the Republic will NOT pose a threat or problem to WC coming back to the US. (I think this might be one of the reasons Blatter wants to hang on to power so that he could influence the 2026 pick for the U.S. I am guessing that.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Montreal was the compromise candidate. But remember, they gave Winter 1976 to Denver as a 'Bicentennial gift' to the US (or however the US wanted to run with it). In 1980, Moscow got it because the IOC was partially ticked off by Denver's turning back PLUS they had no choice for Winter 1980 but a US city again because Lake Placid was the ONLY bidder. So, naturally, they gave the other plum to the other non-US bidder, Moscow; and Winter went to Lake Placid again. That's how that played out.

A World Cup 2026 and the 250th anniversary of the Republic will NOT pose a threat or problem to WC coming back to the US. (I think this might be one of the reasons Blatter wants to hang on to power so that he could influence the 2026 pick for the U.S. I am guessing that.)

The proposed Denver Winter Olympics were to be held in February. Independence Day is on 4th July but I am sure you know that which means there was five months between the two. The FIFA World Cup is held between the end of the first week of June and the 2nd week of July, slap bang in the middle of which are the 250th anniversay celebrations of the Declaration of Independence.

It is one thing hold an event several months away from the celebration date, and another to hold an event which conflicts directly with this major exclusively American occasion.

And Sepp Blatter has already said he will not seek re-election in 2015. This was part of his agreement in not cancelling the Presidential elections in 2011. The host for the 2026 FIFA World Cup will be held in 2017 two years after Blatter will have left.

The proposed Denver Winter Olympics were to be held in February. Independence Day is on 4th July but I am sure you know that which means there was five months between the two. The FIFA World Cup is held between the end of the first week of June and the 2nd week of July, slap bang in the middle of which are the 250th anniversay celebrations of the Declaration of Independence.

It is one thing hold an event several months away from the celebration date, and another to hold an event which conflicts directly with this major exclusively American occasion.

And Sepp Blatter has already said he will not seek re-election in 2015. This was part of his agreement in not cancelling the Presidential elections in 2011. The host for the 2026 FIFA World Cup will be held in 2017 two years after Blatter will have left.

What Mr.Blatter say and what he do are two very diffenrent things. :ph34r:

• Like 1

What Mr.Blatter say and what he do are two very diffenrent things. :ph34r:

By 2015

1) He will be almost 80

2) the major corporate sponsors who contribute at least 26% of FIFAs revenue will not accept this

3) He will actually face a younger challenger, potentially untainted.