FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

I actually think that Canada has a credible shot at 2026 now. CONCACAF hasn't hosted in ages, so I wouldn't be surprised if 2026 came down to a cross-border battle between us and the Americans.

NAFTA battle. USA vs. Mexico vs. Canada.

Mexico has hosted twice, and what would it be if Mexico had hosted the World cup the most times?

USA is the money maker, as they would get the safe bid, and make truckloads beyond truckloads of cash(especially if they put detroit as a bid city again, or an 100,000 seater in Austin)

Canada has to renovate and build, but its possible. But you have to see the requirements for 2026. What size do the stadiums have to be and stuff like that? You never know.

If the rules are changed, i won't be surprised by a french bid for 2026.

My country truly loved the 1998 edition organized here.(don't know why :P )

And i think it was also a great sucess comercially and for Fifa.

Besides, the fact that we have two french voters who will probably still, as they are quite young, be in the exco for the votes helps a lot.

I have a feeling that many europeans voters voted for Qatar for the 'new frontiers' concept but also mainly because it is close to Europe (much closer than the others bid i mean) and they will have their matchs in decent times, which will allow europeans tv & fifa to win a lot of Money.

I really think they will change the rules and that we will see a lot of europeans bids.

And i think 2026-30 will be in Europe or Africa.I don't seem them going to Asia.Maybe only Argentina because it's a great country of football or USA but i doubt it.

Colombia announced they will bid for 2026... but Argentina/Uruguay have the official support of CONMEBOL for 2030 so it will be a bit contradictory to have both bids at the same time (but football organizations and consistency are not related usually, so don't worry). There are some calls about a Chilean bid, but I think after Qatar there is no way we could bid.

So I think it will be a battle between US-Colombia-¿Canada?. Mexico could bid but if Colombia enters, they will get the Latin support instead of Mexico.

In my opinion, FIFA's recent selections render all speculation futile.

As near as I can tell, they are not using any solid criteria in making their decisions apart from which culture seems appealing at the moment. Technical considerations don't seem to matter and because the continental rotation rules are not fixed and may well change again, the apparent logic behind USA 2026 may not factor in at all. Even if FIFA does stick with the current rules instead of changing them for each cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go someplace totally random like Cuba. Ok, maybe not Cuba....

But then again, you never know. This vote basically proved that all bets are off. FIFA will follow their own whims and special interests. I think predictions are basically pointless.

I think one thing is for sure, unless Sepp has a stroke and falls from a great height onto Jack Warner while carrying the world cup trophy and a suitcase full of faberge eggs and gold ingots....then we're not going to see an English bid or hosting this side of 2040. ;)

I think one thing is for sure, unless Sepp has a stroke and falls from a great height onto Jack Warner while carrying the world cup trophy and a suitcase full of faberge eggs and gold ingots....then we're not going to see an English bid or hosting this side of 2040. ;)

Agreed.I just cannot see any more English bids emerging whilst Blatter and his mates are still running FIFA and I would strongly oppose any attempt to bid in the highly unlikely event that one was proposed.I am resigned to the fact that I shall probably be a very old man by the time England hosts the world cup again, if I am still alive that is! :(

That's life I guess!

6 years is the norm, so 2020 is likely. But 2018 or 2019 could be used.

2026 is heading to one of the powers of Europe (Italy, Spain, France, England or Germany). UEFA will not wait until 2034 for a World Cup with 2030 seemingly penciled in for South America. So it will probably be 2026 to Europe, 2030 to South America and 2034 to CONCACAF.

Right now I think the bidders will be, Canada, USA, Italy, Spain and Morocco.

Oh I expect Canada to bid, especially that now they're finally upgrading most of their Capitals' main stadiums.

They got most of the existing infrastructure in place (transport, hotels, exhibition space for broadcasting centers etc). The national VIA rail will be a big boost to their bid and any proposal for a proper air network connecting all provincial and even territory capitals will help in providing a legacy outside of football.

Training fields should easily be located in 32 cities, outside of host cities, effectively giving a whole Canada sense of the 2026 World Cup.

Such cities should have access to a nearby airport for ease of transport and road/rail for backup.

I expect that given the right proposal, they can indeed beat the US in securing the WC.

Italy? Spain? I thought you weren't allowed to bid if your from the same Confederation as the host 1 WC prior? You know the wait 2 WC's before you bid? Unless of course FIFA changes it's rules by then.

Canada? I mean after the first big 8 cities which are what? Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Halifax, Winnipeg...what else are there? :blink:

Considering Qatar just got 2022 I doubt finding big enough cities will be a problem... By FIFA logic we could probably hold the entire World Cup in Nova Scotia (as long as they get a f***load of oil money between now and election time).

Essentially I see eleven cities having a stadium each: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Quebec City, Ottawa and Halifax. Toronto could easely have two stadiums if required.

Edited by fox334

Is there need for so many stadiums in Canada or would they be just white elephants? Or maybe temporary stands? Can those stadiums be used for Canadian football?

I'd expect Spain to bid if FIFA decides to drop the continental rotation. England may feel it's not worth it unless there are some major changes in FIFA. Italy, Germany and France have already hosted twice. Besides, Italian stadiums are just crap and I don't see that changing much in near future. Italy already bid for European Championships of 2012 and 2016, I think they got only one vote against France and Turkey. Turkey could also bid but I expect them to host first the Euros before World Cup. Morocco is a possibility, though after Qatar there isn't immediate need for Muslim/Arab hosts and that applies to Turkey too. Colombia may feel it's their turn in South America, unless CONMEBOL get's everyone behind the Argentina/Uruguay bid for 2030. Personally however, I don't see the Centenario project being successful.

Well unless Canada can (1) find someone who is willing to push their barrow on their behalf within the FIFA ex-co and has the prestige and financial backing of a Bin Hammam then there is simply no reason to bid and (2) Canada are not going to be able to impress FIFA with its footballing abilities unless things drastically change over the next 10 years. Unlike the Qataris who can obviously point to their financial and political clout within FIFA the Canadians would (assuming their is a continuance of rotational policies) be tremendous pressure from either a possible US bid (lets face it, the US would have won the 2022 race if money and technical bid quality were the two most important criteria in the selection), or perhaps depending upon the sophistry and political machinations a potential Chinese bid.

Canada is just another western democracy with all the capacity to hold a great WC however they do not have anyone on the inner circle (and their appears to be no one emerging in parallel with developing Canadian football) to thus attract a body that seems to find the most batshite-crazy reasons to justify the most unlikely and least technical proficient locations for a WC.

• 1 month later...
Guest GlobeTrotter

Possible confederations

CONCACAF: United States, Mexico, Canada

CAF: Egypt, Morocco

CONMEBOL: Colombia

IF the US bid again, they could keep the same venues, accomodation and transport with some modifications.

Possible confederations

CONCACAF: United States, Mexico, Canada

CAF: Egypt, Morocco

CONMEBOL: Colombia

IF the US bid again, they could keep the same venues, accommodation and transport with some modifications.

Nah. A 2026 bid should include Chicago and the SF Bay Area (I mean the 3rd and 4th largest markets in the country and they are not included??? 2022 was an incomplete plan.) Hopefully, the new 49ers stadium in Santa Clara would be ready...supposedly by 2015.

But my God, 2022 isn't even certain...and you're alredy thinking 8 years down the line??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 1 year later...

Canada has had preliminary discussions for 2026:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/opinion/2012/07/canadian-soccer-association-to-bid-for-2026-world-cup.html

Possible Venues?

Vancouver BC PLace 54,000

Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium 54,000

Calgary New Stadium 45,000 with temporary expansion

Regina New Stadium 44,000 with temporary expansion

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Stadium 44,000 with temporary expansion

Ottawa Frank Clair Stadium 45,000 with temporary expansion

Hamilton Ivor Wynne 45,000 with temporary expansion

Montreal Olympic Stadium 66,000

Toronto New Stadium 90,000 with temporary expansion

Victoria/Quebec/Windsor/Moncton/Halifax new stadium 45,000 with temporary expansion

Calgary has been passed over for hosting an international soccer match time and time again. In fact, to my knowledge, the city hasn't hosted even one, for a city of its size. I will be very surprised, if it gets to host one in my lifetime.

Calgary has been passed over for hosting an international soccer match time and time again. In fact, to my knowledge, the city hasn't hosted even one, for a city of its size. I will be very surprised, if it gets to host one in my lifetime.

Calgary is a must if Canada were to bid and eventually if it wins host.

• 1 month later...

How about Argentina Hosting it in 2026, why Not? They have been a Football mecca and have great team Loyal support and I'm sure would do a great job hosting the WC.

Thought's anyone?

They're hoping for 2030, the Centennial year of the World CUp, in a possible co-bid with Uruguay where it was played originally.

The thing about Canada hosting in 2026:

1. When was the last time Canadian men actually qualified for the World CUp?

2. As a host, the home nation automatically gets a spot. Therefore, it won't have to compete; won't become battle-tested in the 2 years leading up to the tournament -- and therefore, for a country like Canada where it is a weak sport, the home team will be out AFTER the prelims.

So, Canada is a poor choice for a World CUp tournament.

They're hoping for 2030, the Centennial year of the World CUp, in a possible co-bid with Uruguay where it was played originally.

2. As a host, the home nation automatically gets a spot. Therefore, it won't have to compete; won't become battle-tested in the 2 years leading up to the tournament -- and therefore, for a country like Canada where it is a weak sport, the home team will be out AFTER the prelims.

1. When did Qatar qualified the last time? As long as Mr.Blatter leads FIFA everything is possible.

2. EURO 2008, WC 2010, EURO 2012 = All host countries failed in the prelims, and that have been 5 host countries so the chance was a bit higher that even one of them gets into the 2nd round.

I think Canada will be a good choice by then. After the 2015 Women WC football will get more attention in Canada and 2026 is the right time for a CONCACAF nation to host the WC. Mexiko won´t bid and only a strong US bid can avoid a WC in Canada.

1) 1986.

2) South Africa, Qatar two recent and future world cup hosts will/likely will be out. Who knows what the picture is in 2026. Canada does not have a league, and that can be a story it can play up with FIFA like the USA did in 94.

3) Canada has had the most successful u-20 world cup ever, and possibly the most successful women;s world cup in 2015. Its the only logical next step for Canada.