FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

OK, the ink on the 2018 and 2022 contracts hasn't dried yet and any decision on selecting a host for 2026 is 6 to 10 years away, but things being what they are and this site being what it is...let's discuss anyway.

Which countries might be interested in the FIFA 2026 World Cup?

Under the current rules, there will be no bids from Europe, Asia or Australia. Only bids from South America, North America, and Africa will be eligible, with North America being the most distant host (USA 1994). And there are rumours floating about of a potential joint 2030 Centennial bid from Uruguay-Argentina so that could halt interest from South America for 2026 (especially since only one serious bid surfaced for 2014).

So, with 6-8 years to mobilize a bid, and barring any major changes in the rules, which countries might be interested? And which would you like to see in the race?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/World_Map_FIFA2.svg/800px-World_Map_FIFA2.svg.png

Edited by Sir Rols

You'd think the US would be a near-certainty, but why would they want to bid again when they've been rejected in favour of a bid from a country smaller than a lot of their cities? You certainly have to wonder what the future of the World Cup is when the FIFA executive can be as reckless as they have been in their selection of host nations.

Assuming that the bid rules don;t change then first off you'd have to say that a CONCACAF bid would be front and centre for prime pozzie. However there is every chance that the US may take their ball home and not bid. Also there is no reason to expect things will stay the same in terms of the voting rules; they will change just like the format of the WC itself have changed when it suits the president. For example hypothetically Blather could be gone by 2018 replaced by say Bin Hamman who could then argue for either a dumping of the rotation policy or even (depending on the Chinese) the MaFIFA could give the AFC two bites at the cherry (Qatar the Mid East WC followed by the east Asian Chinese WC).

There could also be the potential (remote yes) that Australia either disengages with AFC entirely or again depending on China pushes itself as a joint Oceania/AFC bid with Hamman onside (if possible). Having said that I can't realistically believe an Oz bid could be seriously considered.

So maybe we might be looking at Canada and the US as separate bids from CONCACAF, Morocco or Nigeria for CAF and China or Australia as a bolter from AFC. Not sure about Argentina & Uruguay, but maybe Chile or Venezuala for Conmebol.

Morocco did bid 3 times in a row, isn't it .. Morocco is strongly developing transport infrastructure as they have now build one of the biggest ports at the Street of Gibraltar. They have the knowledge and experience to put something forward ..

But I have another question .. can the FIFA or is it welwilling to give the WC in a second row to a muslim country .. Nigeria is too dangerous at the moment .. No change in my view though.

Best regards

fatih civelek

Even though they can bid, I don't have a lot of hope for Africa 2026 because they are still recent hosts. Morocco is likely their most interested party as they had bid unsuccessfully four previous times. Even though they are in Africa, they are also primarily an Arabic/Muslim country with a similar demographic to Qatar, so that could be another handicap.

I also don't expect South America to render a bid.

In my mind, the stars are aligning for North America 2026. By that point, it will have been 32 years since the last North American World Cup. In that case, Canada is the "New Frontier on the Block", with possibly Cuba or some sort of Central American or Caribbean combo bid getting in there. Otherwise, it is the USA vs. Mexico.

The only dynamic that might change things would be a change to the rules...something to favour China?

Well, FIFA really went out of its way to invite new nations to host the World Cup. Russia and Qatar hasn't hosted one yet, never mind that Qatar has never gone to the finals before in its history. And, yet, it gets to be in the World Cup in 2022 by virtue of being the host nation.

It would be interesting, if the Oceania region, like New Zealand, would put forward a bid for the World Cup in the future.

As for North America and the Caribbean, it would be a big whoopup for the USA, if Cuba puts a bid forward for a World Cup. As for the Caribbean nations, I know there will be joint bids for it in the future. What would be very intriguing, if Haiti and the Dominican Republic have a joint bid together, despite that these nations don't like each other passionately. Also, if Jamaica does an independent bid for the World Cup, too.

Of course, Canada is now the only G8 nation not to host a World Cup in European football (soccer) ever, in either the men's or women's tournament. As for other G8 nations, they got to host either one or both tournaments in their histories.

Italy: 1934 and 1990 World Cup (men)

France: 1938 and 1998 World Cup (men)

England (UK): 1966 World Cup (men)

Germany: 1974 and 2006 World Cup (men) and 2011 Women's World Cup

United States: 1994 World Cup (men) and 1999 and 2003 Women's World Cup

Japan: 2002 World Cup (men) [jointly hosted with South Korea]

Russia: 2018 World Cup (men)

Must be really sad for Canada to be in this category of not hosting the world's biggest single-sporting event yet.

i really hope Australia doesn't bother and waste taxpayer's money; USA is insulted ala Chicago snubbing and decide not to bid in the immediate future; China assumes they can't bid because of 2022; England gives up; Tokyo and Paris are successful in Olympic bids- ending Japan or France's 2026 dreams; Italy focuses on failed Summer Olympic bids; and Uruguay/Argentina focus on 2030.

Leaving it to be a contest between Mexico and Morocco; bahahahahaha!!! would serve FIFA right having such lousy candidates

USA is insulted ala Chicago snubbing and decide not to bid in the immediate future;

This wasn't bad for the U.S. It came close and not having the door slammed in its face like in Copenhagen. And I don't think USA2022 spent anywhere near what Chicago did. My guess is that USA2022 might've spent in the $20-25 million range compared to Aus$50 mil for Australia, and I'd guess $60-70 mil bids from Russia and Qatar (not counting sums that went directly into certain offshore accounts). ;)

If i had to choose a few countries i think would be terrific host i would say Chile, Netherlands, Turkey, Morroco, Australia, maybe China, Egypt.

I hope at least Qatar's victory will bring confidence for smaller countries to try to go for it.

Qatar's victory clearly sets a precedence that any country, regardless of population, size, infrastructure, transport, sporting culture and football tradition, can win a World Cup bid so long as you have money. Therefore, i think Equatorial Guinea has a strong chance at 2026; they have one of the highest GDP's per capita in the world because of (like Qatar) petro-dollars. Forget the corruption problems associated with the country because clearly thats nothing for FIFA executives; indeed, they encourage it!

This wasn't bad for the U.S. It came close and not having the door slammed in its face like in Copenhagen. And I don't think USA2022 spent anywhere near what Chicago did. My guess is that USA2022 might've spent in the $20-25 million range compared to Aus$50 mil for Australia, and I'd guess $60-70 mil bids from Russia and Qatar (not counting sums that went directly into certain offshore accounts). ;)

lol but surely the US Government and populice that cares would be offended that a country smaller than like 30 American metros (someone was offended by my use of the word "city") has been awarded the tournament instead.

Qatar's victory clearly sets a precedence that any country, regardless of population, size, infrastructure, transport, sporting culture and football tradition, can win a World Cup bid so long as you have money. Therefore, i think Equatorial Guinea has a strong chance at 2026; they have one of the highest GDP's per capita in the world because of (like Qatar) petro-dollars. Forget the corruption problems associated with the country because clearly thats nothing for FIFA executives; indeed, they encourage it!

Throw in Monaco, Bermuda, Brunei, Luxembourg and Lichtenstein...the cashed up petite WC future hosts according to the new MaFIFA guidelines

Edited by eusebius65

For 2016 :

- England

- China

- Argentine ?

2016? Do you mean 2026? Of those 3 u mention, only Argentina can bid. The present rule which governed today's selections was: the last 2 confederations which hosted CANNOT qualify for the next one. So for 2026, Europe and Asia are OUT. Europe's earliest return is 2030.

^^ The rules as they are don't allow England (or any European country) to bid until 2030 and China (or any Asian country) can't bid until 2032.

Yep, those are the rules at the moment, okay. But this is FIFA. Don't be surprised to find the goalposts changing a few times over the next 8 years to accomodate whatever they want to happen (or while Sepp's still in charge, whatever springs to his mind whenever he wakes up in the morning).

2016? Do you mean 2026? Of those 3 u mention, only Argentina can bid. The present rule which governed today's selections was: the last 2 confederations which hosted CANNOT qualify for the next one. So for 2026, Europe and Asia are OUT. Europe's earliest return is 2030.

Mon dieu Baron, do you not know that the French are staging a secretive WC contre le MaFIFA in 2016. It is to celebrate the 201st anniversary of getting the merde kicked out of them by les Anglais et les allegagnes en Waterloo :P

I actually think that Canada has a credible shot at 2026 now. CONCACAF hasn't hosted in ages, so I wouldn't be surprised if 2026 came down to a cross-border battle between us and the Americans.