Why Did Russia and Qatar Win

LuigiVercotti

64 members have voted

1. 1. What were the reasons why Russia won the 2018 WC and Qatar won the 2022 WC hosting rights

• FIFA/Exco Member Corruption/Vote Buying
    • Technical Report
    • Reaction against corruption accusations
    • New Frontier Potential
    • Power of Political Leaders
    • Sponsorship and Marketing Potential
    • Planned New Venues
    • Rivalries between Blatter and UEFA/AFC
    • Anti-Anglo Feeling in FIFA
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again. They winning bid had the best venues overview video.

Mo, I hope you don't actually believe there is a causal link between having a great video of venues and actually winning the vote :blink:

As has been reported almost everywhere Russia and Qatar were the technical underachievers in both races, so it has to be more about how they have spun the idea that the new venues they are building are some kind of monolithic fealty to the MaFIFA robber barons, set in concrete and steel. If anything I'm becoming more warm to the idea that you win a bid with MaFIFA by building at least half a dozen totally new and totally unsupportable arenas so that the MaFIFA big knobs can strut and preen at how important they are.

In 1920's to be more exactly... =]

Brazil 2014 - Rio 2016

Sochi 2014 - Russia 2018

Doha 2020 - Qatar 2022???

Any thoughts?

Danny...no chance. Bin Hamman is a big fish in a little pond that is the MaFIFA ex-co. He can use money and amazing promises about venues whilst heading up the AFC and thus get Qatar over the line for 2022. Come the IOC Qatar has no one in the membership to help them really, plus there are heaps of far more powerful people within the IOC (as well as more influences on why the Olympics should go to a different country) than in the decision making group at MaFIFA HQ. Qatar won the world cup through backroom deals and big dollars in a small and less ethical group of voters. The IOC process is more scrupulous, less prone to manipulation by one man, and has a greater range of vested interests,

Mo, I hope you don't actually believe there is a causal link between having a great video of venues and actually winning the vote :blink:

As has been reported almost everywhere Russia and Qatar were the technical underachievers in both races, so it has to be more about how they have spun the idea that the new venues they are building are some kind of monolithic fealty to the MaFIFA robber barons, set in concrete and steel. If anything I'm becoming more warm to the idea that you win a bid with MaFIFA by building at least half a dozen totally new and totally unsupportable arenas so that the MaFIFA big knobs can strut and preen at how important they are.

I do believe there is a causal link but that doesn't mean that votes are not bought or that I have not read each evaluation report.

Having experienced part of the behind the scenes of the FIFA WC in South Africa, in terms of their demands, final draw, stadia etc. I know what FIFA are.

You win a bid by getting votes. In a small pool of 22 voters, your market your bid well but more importantly you buy enough votes so that your Presdent does not need to hang around.

So Doha would be only a sentimental vote about new frontiers and doubled-hosts?

Doha would be a vote secured through petrodollars alone...and unlike MaFIFA which has only 1 sport and 22 voting members to be bought the IOC has 27+ sports and 100+ voters.

Also the IOC has experienced Middle Eastern inspired terrorism...MaFIFA has yet to have that dubious honour... <_<

Am not surprised England came last for 2018 - Russia was firm favourite and FIFA loves mafia money! Qatar is just a fecking joke - money money money! I honestly believe that all the humble football fans of the world should set up a counter organisation to regain control of "the beautiful game"! It is probably too much to ask the players to lead a revolution!

I think Russia will be great but I just don't get the need for Qatar or the need to elect 2018 & 2022 at the same time - again there really is something rotten in the state of FIFA - can we get the UN involved?

I hope you're proud your country hosted the mafia for a month Mo.

Given the 2018/2022 vote we're so lucky we have hosted.

The Mafia's demands were well known in South Africa. Who do you think built Cape Town Stadium?

BTW the Mafia still owes many host cities million of rands for additional demands before the WC.

In the case of South Africa, what I would call a developmental World Cup, the benefits always exceeded the event specific cost.

As I said in the prediction thread - I feared Australia's policy of securing preferences over outright votes would work against them as Japan and Korea would both get sympathy votes. Look what happened.

Doha hosted a wildly successful Asian Games in 2006, are hosting next year's Asian Cup Finals and scored very high (higher than eventual winners Rio) with their bid for the 2016 Olympics. The only difference with these evnts was they were planned or staged outside of the summer months. I question alot about FIFA's decision, but I do not question Qatar's ability to host fantastic sporting events.

Australia simply did not have a compelling reason to host. Being suitable is one thing - but these days every one of these events is trying to outdo each other in scale and importance. Qatar 2022 will give FIFA a toehold in the Middle East and thus massive revenues.

The fact England and Australia were eliminated first in each vote proves that is all FIFA cares about. They went with the two blank cheque bids - and the two with the least media interference.

Okay, some question that have got to be asked...how much money will Qatar be spending on security, will the claustrophobic nature of Doha in a heavy security environment have a serious impact on the event (putting aside the obvious problems with heat and expense) as a deterrent for tourists/fans, and will Qatar be more vulnerable to terrorist attack or interference because of it's proximity to Middle Eastern countries with a history of terrorist activity (e.g. Yemen and Saudi Arabia)?

Qatar will spend billions across the board. Terrorism wise - well Dubai and Abu Dhabi has hosted world champs with no security issues. The Doha Asian Games was a success and we'll see how they handle the Asian Cup in January.

There are police with guns on the street of Doha as it is. Security wise it may be easier to secure the one location - or city in this case - than a cross continental effort that Australia, the USA and Russia will have/will needed/need.

The Saudis are smart enough to know that a Qatar World Cup could have many benefits to them. Expect easier travel visas around 2022 and tons of new hotels springing up near the Saudi/Qatar bridge.

Even the "legacy" broadcaster the BBC can't admit Qatar won.

"The US reached the fourth round of voting before being beaten by Russia and US 2022 bid chairman Sunil Gulati stated: "We're disappointed. No way to get around that. We worked very hard.

"The country has been behind us in a way we haven't seen. We know it came down to two. Which automatically means it was very close.

"But there's a lot of countries in the world that want to host these events."-BBC

BBC Sport

In 1920's to be more exactly... =]

Brazil 2014 - Rio 2016

Sochi 2014 - Russia 2018

Doha 2020 - Qatar 2022???

Any thoughts?

well in these circumstances

i start to think İstanbul can win the games at 2020 ....:S

but IOC ıs not FIFA also cities bid in the olympics not countries. definetly if IOC gonna choose a muslim populated country it will be Istanbul...

But FIFA is being hardly criticized because of having chosen Qatar, so I guess the IOC will draw a conclusion from this and choose cities they know are fully capable to host. No one likes Qatar hosting in 2022 and if I were an IOC member I wouldn't choose Doha for 2020 - I would wait at least for 2032 (as the 2028 host will be chosen in 2021, so no one would already know if Qatar can really be a good host). And that may include other "new frontiers" like India or even Africa - this one depending on the city.

But FIFA is being hardly criticized because of having chosen Qatar, so I guess the IOC will draw a conclusion from this and choose cities they know are fully capable to host. No one likes Qatar hosting in 2022 and if I were an IOC member I wouldn't choose Doha for 2020 - I would wait at least for 2032 (as the 2028 host will be chosen in 2021, so no one would already know if Qatar can really be a good host). And that may include other "new frontiers" like India or even Africa - this one depending on the city.

Athan, the IOC won't be touching Doha or for that matter an Indian city with a ten foot barge pole for at least 20 years because in the former case the stench around MaFIFA's selection process is something the IOC will never ever want to endure (and as discussed above probably is now incapable of sinking to such a depth) and as for India the whole Delhi shatfight has soiled the Indian brand for any major sporting event aside from cricket for the foreseeable future.

South Africa on the other hand...well 2020 is a definite maybe. Plus now there could be a bit of oneupmanship between the IOC and MaFIFA as the IOC tries to keep up with the football world's interest in hosts such as SA, Russia and Qatar. The IOC may now want to spread the Olympic vision (and hence revenue and publicity gains) to Africa to counter MaFIFA's evangelical spreading of football and SA (i.e. Durban) could be the place to mount the counter-attack.

Another thought...how is it that the same MaFIFA that obviously listened and liked the Russian bid where venues will be separated by hundreds of kilometres, with teams possibly having to jet from Vologograd to Sochi, or Kaliningrad to Yekaterinburg, then turns around and reacts positively to a bid with venues all within an hour's drive? I guess so long as you build shatloads of new stadia doesn;t matter how far the poor bloody footballers and tourists have to travel...so long as the MaFIFA execs have their concrete wonders built in their name.

By the way found this nugget of information...Albert Speer Jnr's architectural firm is behind at least 5 of Qatar's stadia design. Keeping up Vati's tradition of big game architecture hmmm :P

Archived