Why Did Russia and Qatar Win

LuigiVercotti

64 members have voted

1. 1. What were the reasons why Russia won the 2018 WC and Qatar won the 2022 WC hosting rights

• FIFA/Exco Member Corruption/Vote Buying
    • Technical Report
    • Reaction against corruption accusations
    • New Frontier Potential
    • Power of Political Leaders
    • Sponsorship and Marketing Potential
    • Planned New Venues
    • Rivalries between Blatter and UEFA/AFC
    • Anti-Anglo Feeling in FIFA
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the only reason for this was to guarantee the support of the UEFA branch that is a FIFA ally, which include mostly Eastern European nations and to neutralize the growing desire from AFC members to put forward a candidate to beat Blatter. By giving the WC to Russia they strengthen Platini in UEFA. By rewarding Qatar they might divide the Asian countries between the Arab world and the far east countries. This should ensure their control over FIFA.

For me, the only reason for this was to guarantee the support of the UEFA branch that is a FIFA ally, which include mostly Eastern European nations and to neutralize the growing desire from AFC members to put forward a candidate to beat Blatter. By giving the WC to Russia they strengthen Platini in UEFA. By rewarding Qatar they might divide the Asian countries between the Arab world and the far east countries. This should ensure their control over FIFA.

I would be completely disgusted if you were correct.

Why should a bunch of 22 men put their own desires to be President ahead of the correct and preferable decision in effectively writing a several billion dollar cheque for a country???

To me, while England's early exit in 2018 is dubious, Russia isn't an entirely bad result.

The Qatar decision has lost FIFA all respect aside from 600,000 people in Doha.

I just think that lately, their is a feeling among sportive organizations that it is time to go to new places.

I don't say that Rio for the Olympics, Russia or Qatar for World cup are less deserving at all or that they had a bad bid, on the contrary i found the three bids very good.

But that's just it, They never went to Eastern Europe, To Middle East & in South America and wanted to go and those great bids offered them the possibilty to do so.

South Africa 2010 & Beijing 2008 show that new places can offer terrific and well-organized events to the world.

Chicago & England very early exit show how much people wanted to go somewhere different, regardless of (and you could argue that) 'superior' bid.

:D yes

Oh dear, the monocellular cerebellum that is the mouthpiece from Rajapaskaland now thinks he understands FIFA's machinations (voting for technical reports when both Russia and Qatar were the lowest ranked in their respective bids shows how inane this buffoon is). Plus it's not about the number of votes (the how) but the causal relationships (the whys).

Then again I'd be surprised if a fan of the Hambantota Cosa Nostra understands the difference between voting numbers and legitimate reasons for awarding anything...

This didn't go the way I had hoped or predicted...shocked, really. Shocked! Especially since it wasn't even close for the two bids I was backing.

I can understand the Russia win. But Qatar? Their entire national population is only 1.6 million. That's about 1% of what the 2014 and 2018 hosts have. And the heat? That's what oil money will buy you. And the whims of a FIFA President who is thinking of his legacy.

But there is good news for some of us. Basically, under the current rules, the 2026 World Cup will be held in North America. Go Canada! ;)

No, GO USA!!!!!!!! and Chicago better be included as a host city!

Under any reasonable logic, the USA would be all but a shoe-in for 2026, but today's votes suggest logic comes well down the list of requirements to be a member of the FIFA executive committee.

Under any reasonable logic, the USA would be all but a shoe-in for 2026, but today's votes suggest logic comes well down the list of requirements to be a member of the FIFA executive committee.

True, BVI may put together a bid, and then Britain could have another go. First WC in the Caribbean would be a big draw, now if only they discover Oil.

It can't host till 2034 under current rules.

Even if it could (and as MaFIFA has no credibility when it comes to keeping to the rules hence stopping an Oz 2026 bid) I think the FFA shouldn't. Spend the money on the game at grass roots and national elite levels and start getting some bums on seats in Zurich. If you don;t have a voice of your won in the shouting match you'll get nowhere.

By the way CAF I expect Der Kaiser was our one and only vote. Franz would have been loyal whereas no doubt Platini flip-flopped and didn't commit.

One thing I see is: FIFA again will say "we are opening frontiers and more frontiers" to IOC. Will 2020 Olympic be held in some other new frontier and start a IOC x FIFA battle on who can send their games to a the newest place???

BTW, Russia isn't exaclty a new frontier to FIFA, it's only a new country for the World Cup.

BTW, Russia isn't exaclty a new frontier to FIFA, it's only a new country for the World Cup.

Well, it is...PLUS...this is the 'new' Russia or so they claim. SO the old commie structure was gone (but a new Mafia headed by Putin and I am sure, his ex-KGB friends in charge. I mean that's how Lenin grabbed and held on to power--strictly by force!! I suspect the current system is very much like that.)

Archived