Another Kind of Non-Olympic Sports Branches

fatixxx

In the last week I tried to observe the Asian Games. Guangzhou is my first Asian Games that i've watched via youtube actually. About the opening ceremony .. we are common about the fact that is was a splendid and a bloomin'fantastic opening with a first time new idea-comer; to flame the Cauldron from beneath to above ..

At the Turkish forum where I trie to present these games unknown for the turkish public here; http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104905 I've noticed that there is much more a intention of interest towards the Asian Games than the Commonwealth Games. Some senden me private message, why te hell Turkey doesn't participate at these games whereby Iran has the 4th spot and Kazachstan at the 7th spot.

Where there is not an European Games, but much more sports organization on European soil, Turkish sporsmen and women can get more experienced at an Asian Games for example was the main idea in the last days. But Turkey is a member of the EOC .. European Olympic Committees. Can a country be a member of 2 Continental Olympic Councils ?? Can it be that a country on two continents can lobby at the OCA .. and is there a rulement at the IOC that a country can be a member of 1 council.

==> Hereby in brief,

guagnhzou2010sepatakraw.jpg

It is the first time that I heard about SEPAKTAKRAW ? Why isn't it called just FOOTVOLLEY .. it's just so simple .. I would like to see Wushu and sepaktakraw as an official sporstbranch at the Olympic games .. the idea thrills me .. I just enjoyed Wushu at the European and World Championships held in Turkey in the last two years. I had the opportunity to watch it live on Turkish TV. Do or Will other Olympic viewers also like Wushu or Sepaktakraw .. I'm excited aobut this one.

Source photo: http://www.gz2010.cn/09/0318/18/54N67OQK0078007E.html

Other source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepak_takraw

b.t.w. I'm overwhelmed of the Guangzhou Velodrome Sporshall .. it is a very aesthetic and delicious building .. I like it ;)http://www.gz2010.cn/special/0078008F/venues10.html

Best regards

fatixxx

Sepak's been harbouring Olympic ambitions for a while. And indeed, I remember reading a few years back that one strategy they'd been considering was to align themselves with the FIVB and sneaking in as a new discipline of volleyball. Seems, though, that that hasn't been pursued and they're still trying to get in in their own right:

Sepak Takraw To Launch Tennis-Style Grand Prix Circuit And World Cup

GUANGZHOU, Nov 22 (Bernama) -- With a strong presence from the Olympic Council of Asia, sepak takraw outlined its ambitious plans to move from its Southeast Asian roots via Asia to the world and, ultimately, the Olympic Games, China's Xinhua News Agency reported.

At a lavish ceremony in the Garden Hotel, Guangzhou, on Sunday, leading officials from the International Sepak Takraw Federation (ISTAF) introduced a complete rebranding of the sport along with details of a tennis-style grand prix circuit and inaugural ISTAF World Cup in July 2011 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The ISTAF Super Series 2011-12 for 12 men's and six women's teams will take place in Sabah, Thailand, China and South Korea, the latter leg hosting the Super Series finals.

"During my time as President of ISTAF I have seen sepak takraw grow to become one of the most popular sports at the Asian Games and the SEA Games," said OCA Vice President and ISTAF President Maj Gen Charouck Arirachakaran.

"However, our commitment to increasing the appeal of our sport never stops, and there is still much we want to achieve."

Describing sepak takraw as "not only the oldest and most traditional of sports," Maj Gen Charouck said it was "also an incredible sport, with huge appeal for modern sports fans."

"I, for one, am not aware of any other sport which combines so many different athletic skills in such an explosive way.

"Our long-term goal is to raise the profile of sepak takraw throughout Asia and even beyond. Today we find ourselves in a very exciting position. For the very first time in our history, ISTAF will launch a new international tournament calendar.

"This is a significant step, and provides a platform for sepak takraw as an elite Asian sport. As such, it opens a window on to the sport for television viewers around the world," he added.

Abdul Halim Kader, ISTAF Secretary General, thanked the OCA for putting the sport in the 1990 Asian Games in Beijing, and praised the role played by Wei Jizhong, a long-serving former chairman of the OCA Sports Committee and now President of the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB).

Halim said sepak takraw was played in 45 countries and regions, but it needed an official presence in 75 countries on five continents to have a chance to join the Olympic Games, which was a goal after 2020.

On behalf of business partner UFA Sports Asia, Managing Director Jeff Chue said the rebranding included a new-look court and athlete attire, global TV distribution and official world rankings.

BERNAMA

Fatixx, u have a lot to learn.

1. Turkey has to decide whether it wants to belong to either the Euro or the Asian scene. Obviously, it would rather cast its lot with Europe.

2. To get into the SUmmer Olympics, the report says it right there: it must be played on at least 75 countries on the 5 continents; must be played by men in X no. of countries; by women in XX.... There are a LOT OF OTHER SPORTS ahead of this Sepaktakraw that are WAITING to get into the Summer Olympic slate. So I think this Sepak...whatever will WAIT A LONG TIME before it's even considered. The Summer plate is FULL. As a matter of fact, they even want to cut out a few sports...so Sepak-T getting in there won't happen for a century or two at least.

Archived