VANOC website to stay online only until the end of the year

mr.x

Mr. X, from where in that article do you take the information that the website will stay online only until the end of the year? I only read that VANOC will finish operations by the end of the year -- but I find no mention of the website. TOROC (the Torino organising committee) has also quit operations long ago, but nevertheless the Torino 2006 website is still online.

Also, in another article (by the Globe and Mail), I found that John Furlong said that they will probably maintain their website and e-mail system even beyond this December:

Vestiges of VANOC will remain, however, even after December’s wind-up. A small contingency fund will be set aside to cover any future liabilities, and a full report on the 2010 Olympics must be presented at an IOC gathering next June in South Africa.

“We will probably maintain our e-mail system, and our website,” Mr. Furlong said. “But everything else will be very, very part-time.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/vanoc-enters-its-final-stretch/article1801806/

Even the Beijing website sort of hovers in the ether. But per the Agreement with the IOC, the host org's duties to the IOC end after they hand in their Official Report and the IOC pronounces it acceptable and job completed.

Maybe with the IOC having accepted Beijing's sham OR, its website might also go off their air soon. So when will your Offical Report get into the IOC's hands?

Canucks, you got to put this to sleep sometime. That's why they have the videos, etc.

I always find it sad when the forum sections for past Olympic Games are dissolved. For example, I would love to read once more what I wrote regarding the preparations for the Athens 2004 Games. But all that has been deleted. :(

Isn't there any possibility to preserve this forum section?

Mr. X, from where in that article do you take the information that the website will stay online only until the end of the year? I only read that VANOC will finish operations by the end of the year -- but I find no mention of the website. TOROC (the Torino organising committee) has also quit operations long ago, but nevertheless the Torino 2006 website is still online.

Also, in another article (by the Globe and Mail), I found that John Furlong said that they will probably maintain their website and e-mail system even beyond this December:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/vanoc-enters-its-final-stretch/article1801806/

It seems that the article link I posted deleted the blurb about the website being "inactive by the end of the year".

Anyhow, from a news release:

The final Board meeting is anticipated to be held by conference call December 17, 2010 Of note, VANOC's website www.vancouver2010.com will also remain operational only until the end of 2010.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2010/17/c5226.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The website's gone. :(

Wah :( . It's over... until Feb 12 when there will be some one year anniversary celebration. :)

If anyone is interested, I managed to save all the wallpapers that were available on the 2010 site, mascots, torch relay, sports, etc. I could put them all in a RAR file and upload them to rapidshare or something. I was hoping to save a bunch of the Torch Relay photos, but they disappeared a while back. There were a lot of great photos that didn't make it into the Torch Relay book.

This SUCKS! :angry: And actually (as I wrote above), I didn't expect that this would really happen.

I usually still look up the old Olympic host websites once in a while, and now this. I mean, it's not even eleven months since the Vancouver Olympic Games began and not even ten months since the Vancouver Paralympics ended. The memories of the Games are still so fresh, it's as if the Games have ended just yesterday.

And sadly, the Wayback Machine is not really a good replacement since there are always difficulties to open all links in stored old websites or to display the websites graphically correct.

Instead, we still have the websites of Torino and Beijing online -- two Games editions I will always remember less or even much less fondly than the Vancouver Games. That's almost poignant.

Instead, we still have the websites of Torino and Beijing online -- two Games editions I will always remember less or even much less fondly than the Vancouver Games. That's almost poignant.

The Torino site has been gone for awhile now.

Maybe we should start a petition? That really can't be it. Not waiting at least till the first anniversary of the Games is almost outrageous.

Maybe at this point of time, an old Olympic website doesn't get a lot of traffic anymore, but I think that VANOC underestimated that such a website with all its pictures, results and articles has also high nostalgic value and thus high symbolism as memorial for the Games. It's almost as if they said, "We don't care, folks, if you're still nostalgic about the Games. That's it, we switch the lights on, the party's over. Bye!"

I had a very high opinion of VANOC so far, but this enrages me.

I do respect anyone who has nostalgic feelings and laments the loss of the website. For me, though, one of the great parts of being an Olympic junkie is that, while one Games must end, there is always another one to look forward to. I will probably reflect on the Vancouver Games on the first anniversary next month, but other than that it's onto London.