2016 Winter Youth Olympic Games

So here we are : November 15th !

The due date for the bid book delivery for the 2016 Winter YOG candidates....

So apparently the only one to bid was Lillehammer, but one of the last IOC press release regarding this process was not clear.... and let think that other cities would probably bid....

Any news ????

Any views on the Lillehammer bid book ?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it had been known for some time Lillehammer was most likely to host 2016.

Probably as they are the only official candidate city !

But sometime ago, in an article from the IOC website that i could not find anymore.... i read something that was not clear on that... as if some other candidates would have the opportunity to present a file .....

Which only means that potential cities and their representative NOCs are telling the IOC: don't bother us with those childish games which nobody wants!!

Exactly. And it would be even funnier if Lillehammer in the end says that they don't wanna waste their time & money, either.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Olympic Champion Yang Yang to head IOC Evaluation Commission for 2nd Winter Youth Olympic Games

The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Jacques Rogge, today announced the composition of the Evaluation Commission which will assess the candidature of Lillehammer (Norway) for the second edition of the Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG). Lillehammer submitted its candidature file to the IOC in December 2010.

The IOC Evaluation Commission will be chaired by Olympic speed-skating champion and IOC member Ms Yang Yang, and is composed of the following members:

- Yang Yang, IOC member, IOC Athletes’ Commission member, Chairperson of the Evaluation Commission

- Roger Talermo, NOC representative, President of the Finnish Olympic Committee

- Fredi Schmid, AIOWF representative, International Skating Union (ISU) Director General

- Gilbert Felli, IOC Olympic Games Executive Director

- Christophe Dubi, IOC Sports Director

- Essar Gabriel, IOC Head of the Youth Olympic Games

- Jacqueline Barrett, IOC Head of Bid City Relations

The Evaluation Commission will submit a report to IOC members, who will then elect the YOG 2016 host city by postal vote before the end of this year.

IOC

Milk what? They have to evaluate any bid, even if its the only bid. If it had been Warsaw or Leipzig as the only bidder for 1984 do you think the IOC would have been, well whatever thats just go there sight-unseen, without a judgement on the validity of their bid.

Milk what? They have to evaluate any bid, even if its the only bid. If it had been Warsaw or Leipzig as the only bidder for 1984 do you think the IOC would have been, well whatever thats just go there sight-unseen, without a judgement on the validity of their bid.

Raises an interesting question, though. Not that anybody, I expect, would be anything but highly confident of Lillehammer's abilities and plans. But what if it doesn't come up to scratch? What's the IOC to do about Rogge's vanity project then?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, man. This idea of a youth version of the Winter Olympics is not getting traction, when it comes to publicity about it. We are less than 2 months from the first one in Innsbruck and we still don't know, if these Games will continue on. Will it be a flop, like the way PASO tried to have the Pan American Winter Games going after 1990?

Oh, man. This idea of a youth version of the Winter Olympics is not getting traction, when it comes to publicity about it. We are less than 2 months from the first one in Innsbruck and we still don't know, if these Games will continue on. Will it be a flop, like the way PASO tried to have the Pan American Winter Games going after 1990?

Don't think so. Why would you think such a thing?

For those interested the 1990 Pan American Games did not happen after all. According to a book I was reading the official results were not published which means the event was not held.

There are only so many cities that have the existing capability to host one in the first place. If I am right about this rule about bidding for the Youth Winter Olympics, the venues have to be already in place, just like the IOC-sanctioned World Games. I wouldn't mind, if Calgary wants to bid for a future Youth Winter Olympics, but it has one problem: the ski jump. It was made at the time before the current regulations about longer jump lengths were allowed. In other words, it would need an upgrade to the venue, in sync with the one in Whistler (using the latest Winter Olympics hosted).

Don't think so. Why would you think such a thing?

For those interested the 1990 Pan American Games did not happen after all. According to a book I was reading the official results were not published which means the event was not held.

I remember researching this a lot years ago in one of the discussions about a southern hemisphere WOGs here. An event DID happen in Las Lenas in 1990, but I guess it's like the 1906 Intercalated Olympics in Athens - they've ben made retrospectively unofficial. Anyway, here's the Wikipedia explanation:

In 1988, members of PASO voted to hold the first Pan American Winter Games at Las Leñas, Argentina in September 1989. It was further agreed that Winter Games would be held every four years. Lack of snow however, forced the postponement of the games until September 16–22, 1990 when only eight countries sent 97 athletes to Las Lenas. Of that total, 76 were from just three countries: Argentina, Canada, and the United States. Weather was unseasonably warm and again there was little snow, so only three Alpine Skiing events – the Slalom, Giant Slalom, and Super G were staged. The United States and Canada combined to win all 18 medals.[9]

PASO awarded the second Pan American Winter Games to Santiago, Chile for 1993. The United States warned that it would not take part unless a full schedule of events was held. The Santiago organizing committee eventually gave up on planning the games after the United States Olympic Committee declined to participate, and the idea has not been revived since.

Wikipedia

Apparently voting process is underway.... Results in December or January...

Suprise, Suprise....

What do they have to vote on with only Lillehammer - whether to go ahead with it or not?

I can't see them ditching the concept while Rogge's still around.

I remember researching this a lot years ago in one of the discussions about a southern hemisphere WOGs here. An event DID happen in Las Lenas in 1990, but I guess it's like the 1906 Intercalated Olympics in Athens - they've ben made retrospectively unofficial. Anyway, here's the Wikipedia explanation:

What do they have to vote on with only Lillehammer - whether to go ahead with it or not?

I can't see them ditching the concept while Rogge's still around.

I wrote the majority of wikipedia's entry. :lol:

Archived