Jaca 2014

mr.x

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it a little premature for Spain to potentially bid for the 2014 Winter Olympics while Madrid is currently in the running for the 2012 Summer Olympics?

i am sorry to say but madrid isn't in the running 2012 is a four horse race and madrid isn't one of them, so it is logical to go after a winter olympics but since spain has bid for winter olympics at least twice in the past and neither time made the short list i don't very highly that this bid will get past the likes of zurich, sweden, PC, tromsoem austria and france (if france does not win 2012 that is)

when I first saw this topic there was a username posted instead of "guest".  perhaps this user was kicked off?

it doesn't happen like that. for example, if i got banned, the username in my posts "mr.x" would become red. it wouldn't be red and say guest.

when I first saw this topic there was a username posted instead of "guest".  perhaps this user was kicked off?

it doesn't happen like that. for example, if i got banned, the username in my posts "mr.x" would become red. it wouldn't be red and say guest.

ok, thanks for the heads up.  well I hope we hear about Jaca soon; I think this 2014 race will be quite interesting!

• 1 year later...

Well, Spain has a decent number of ski mountains (what I believe is the first key factor to considering any Winter Games bid), their best options rely on three major cities for airport linkages:

Barcelona

Zaragoza

Grenada

Jaca just seems like "Barcelona Redux but Winter".

Frankly, I think Grenada is the better option.  A cultural centre, with the Alhambra as one of the leading landmarks of Spain, Grenada also is close to the Sierra Nevada ski resort.  Host of the 1996 World Championships, it has a 1200 m VertDrop and is only 32 km's from Grenada and its airport.

I like the Grenada option much better.  To me, Jaca just seems like the Winter Games version of Istanbul, the perennial bidder that just can't quite pull through.  My aunt and uncle were in Grenada on a ski trip last year and they've both said it's as nice as an of the ones in Alps in their opinion.

Another question.  What about Zaragoza for a winter bid or is it too far from any of the ski areas in the Pyrennes?

The lights are turning green for Jaca 2014

Article  Radio Huesca

The president of the Spanish federation of winter sports, and member of the Executive Committee of the Spanish Olympic Committee, Eduardo Roldan, considers that after the elimination of Madrid, now it is the moment for betting on the winter candidacy, like the one presented by the city of Jaca.

The next Monday, July 18, the executive committee of the COE meets.  After the official communication which in this day the city council of Jaca will proclaim, in which it announces his desire to take part in the Olympic race, Eduardo Roldan, it hopes that this subject treats in the meeting of Monday.  Otherwise the same one will expose it.

The president of the FEDI, considers that the Spanish Olympic Committee must take part in the Olympic race of winter and the candidacy that the city has presented/displayed.  If not outside thus, there would be a contradiction in the thought and objective that the COE has.

On July 28 concludes the term of presentation, before the the International Olympic Committee, of the candidacies of winter for the games of the 2014.  From the Government of Aragón the request of Jaca will lean, once the COE presents/displays the candidacy.

Jaca is not such a weak option as some of you said. Jaca is in Huesca's province, just sotavento of the Pyrenees. It is the richest cultural city of that part of the mountains area, crossed by the road to Santiago, and many other heritage.

It is surrounded by four big ski resorts: Astún, Formigal, Candanchú and Panticosa. There is plenty of accomodation facilities in the area (not just in the city) and the city of Huesca has already high-speed rail that links the area with Madrid and Zaragoza, and in few months also with Barcelona. The only main thing that lacks is a big airport near Jaca, because the nearest is in Zaragoza and this is not what I call big. However, nowadays it is already under construction the new airport of Huesca (Monflorite-Alcalá) which will be able to host operations of bigger planes in order to become an international airport.

For those who want to know more about Jaca, go to the link of the Jaca 2007 European Youth Olympic Festival

Anyway, I'm still not sure about Spain to bid in 2014. There have been no words coming from the NOC in order to present something before July 28th, either about Granada & Sierra Nevada, which already hosted Ski World Championships in 1996

Updating the last thread (which I originally post it in Annecy-Grenoble topic), now it seems that there have been some voices claiming for getting in the 2014 race with Jaca.

@ Stryker: Yes, Zaragoza is too far from the mountains

@ Nitsansh: Yes, Jaca has already the "Ice Palace", but it should be updated for hosting the Games.

@ Kendegra: Well... it is quite optimistic to think about Barcelona airport. It is at least 4 hours far away drive from Jaca, which I think it's too much. Zaragoza is not a real airport: just some domestic flights to Madrid and some low-cost links to London, Milan & Frankfurt, but it surely be enlarged regarding to 2008 Expo which will be hosted there.

Well it seems that the key date is the Spanish NOC meeting next Monday, July 18. It will be yes or no.

Now that the Madrid 2012 bid is over, it will be interesting to see on how this decision will turn for the Spanish NOC.

I don't get the idea of Jaca becoming a Winter bid city over Granada. I am sure Jaca has some "small town charms" (even if   90% of the IOC doesn't know anything about it), but Granada is a cultural city of great importance despite any possible geographical advantages of Jaca. Sure, it would be wonderful to have some games in the Pyrenees, but the concept alone won't win the bid.

Granada is much bigger than Jaca... Certainly I prefer Granada than Jaca.

Granada has the airport and the culture. Jaca the venues. :oops:

Archived