Beijing Official Report...

Pure facts

Those ORs take FOREVER to load!!

I can see why the IOC sent it back (twice?). In this version, it is STILL so jingoistic...as if the Chinese were the only ones EVER to stage an Olympic Games. it so laborious...and so much breast-beating...and oy!! some of the syntax and vocabulary used...

Sample sentence: "On March 24, the bright sunshine over Olympia, Greece auspicated the success of the flame lighting ceremony."

Auspicated? :blink: Without checking, I don't think the word even exists!

Another topic heading: Management in Venuisation :blink:

The whole project is 4 vols of B/S. If anybody finds the page of actual budget figures, kindly tell me.

From volume 3 page 91 onwards, Baron - no specific figures though.

I am slightly horrified that they spend 48 pages on the Opening Ceremony and then only another 48 pages covering the entire sporting program day by day... An awful, awful report. I had high hopes.

Visually it is dull, image wise it is questionable where they sourced some shots as they are far from good and jingoistic wise it is China! CHINA! CHINARRRRRRGH! all the way through.

I thought the IOC sent this report back to be toned down? I would love to see the mess it was originally!

A poor summary of a great Games.

Lillehammer 1994, Barcelona 1992 and Los Angeles 1984 remain the best reports thus far.

I am completely unsurprised at the tone and quality of Beijing's Official Report. As to budget: even if you found numbers in there, you wouldn't be able to believe them anyway. I don't understand why the IOC accepted it, unless the Chinese just wore them out. I don't understand why right off the bat, they didn't just give them a copy of Barcelona's report (or pick another good model), and tell them to "copy this." And told them to pay for a qualified, professional native English speaker for proper translations. You'd think by the end of the 2008 Olympics, the IOC would have had enough experience dealing with the Chinese to know they would need to get more forceful, proactive, and dictatorial.

I am completely unsurprised at the tone and quality of Beijing's Official Report. As to budget: even if you found numbers in there, you wouldn't be able to believe them anyway.

That's what I thought. So I don't know where that report which delineated an actual breakdown of Ceremonies figures, got its figures which were exceedingly low vs. Yimou's off-the-record admissions.

...unless the Chinese just wore them out.

I think that might've been it. "We no speaka da English like native speakers."

I don't think Harbin will feature anytime soon in the IOC's future.

i will download the report tonight. Do you know if these will be on sale to the public? I will still be interested ion purchasing a copy.

No, they are NEVER put on sale because they would cost at least US$750.00 + another $150-200 shipping...so who, other than GB members, would buy those? Occasionally, a down-on-their-luck IOC member will put their copy on eBay...so you have to watch out for those rare occasions. But now, I would think, a copy on disc should be made available to the public. Maybe this one will.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you to Pure facts for posting and sharing the link to this report. I've been eagerly awaiting it's release!

Was it really sent back by the IOC for revisions twice and delievered 2 years late?

After reading it carefully, I'm not surprised that Beijing 2008 glossed over the fact that the international portion of the Torch Relay was a public relations disaster for the Organizing Committee.

Unlike previous Oficial Reports this read more like the commerative book rather than sharing key lessons learned and advance to the next host city.

On a related note: Will Singapore Youth Olympic Games 2010 also release an Official Report?

Louroz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The LA84 Foundation has the Offical Reports and Results on its website.

http://www.la84foundation.org/5va/reports_frmst.htm

http://doc.rero.ch/record/20628 (Original Location)

Notes:

The Vol1,2,3 on the LA84 are smaller in file size than rero.ch, but contain 1 extra page per volume, just a footnote page on the last page)

Part2 of Volume 1 has the wrong link use http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/OfficialReports/2008/2008v1p2.pdf

Archived