Alexjc    346

That's one example of positive legacy. There's other examples which tell a different story. All depends on whether cities have a long-term strategy in mind when bidding for events.

Oh yeah,

Glasgow clearly following on from London and Sydney (as two examples of go-getters). :)

arwebb    128

Glasgow will also host the European swimming championships in 2018, after London hosts them next year.

rogerdown    2

Glasgow will also host the European swimming championships in 2018, after London hosts them next year.

Glasgow will be hosting the Inaugural European Sports championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Sports_Championships

''The European Sports Championships is a multi-sport event involving the co-branding of the individual European championships of some of the leading sports in Europe. It is organized by the individual continental federations of those sports under a single brand. This competition is not related to the European Games which are organised in the Olympic tradition by the European Olympic Committees.''

So in 2018 Glasgow will have the European Aquatics champions, the Europe Track Cycling championships, the Gymnastics championships.

slugbed    2

Glasgow will be hosting the Inaugural European Sports championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Sports_Championships

''The European Sports Championships is a multi-sport event involving the co-branding of the individual European championships of some of the leading sports in Europe. It is organized by the individual continental federations of those sports under a single brand. This competition is not related to the European Games which are organised in the Olympic tradition by the European Olympic Committees.''

So in 2018 Glasgow will have the European Aquatics champions, the Europe Track Cycling championships, the Gymnastics championships.

Don't forget Triathlon and golf!

Overall, Galsgow will be hosting 126 medal events and Berlin will host 47. It is meant to attract bigger TV audiences and hopefully the best athletes in Europe. At least that is the idea!

• Like 1

Quick question - I've had a look online (amazon.co.uk etc) - did Glasgow 2014 release any commemorative DVDs? I can't seem to find one - and after the good sets London 2012 put out I was sure Glasgow would too.

JMarkSnow2012    354

Quick question - I've had a look online (amazon.co.uk etc) - did Glasgow 2014 release any commemorative DVDs? I can't seem to find one - and after the good sets London 2012 put out I was sure Glasgow would too.

Nope- not even a download on the BBC Store, sadly.

wamel042    1

Anybody a copy of the official report available?