Glasgow 2014

That's one example of positive legacy. There's other examples which tell a different story. All depends on whether cities have a long-term strategy in mind when bidding for events.

Oh yeah,

Glasgow clearly following on from London and Sydney (as two examples of go-getters). :)

• 5 months later...

Glasgow will also host the European swimming championships in 2018, after London hosts them next year.

Glasgow will be hosting the Inaugural European Sports championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Sports_Championships

''The European Sports Championships is a multi-sport event involving the co-branding of the individual European championships of some of the leading sports in Europe. It is organized by the individual continental federations of those sports under a single brand. This competition is not related to the European Games which are organised in the Olympic tradition by the European Olympic Committees.''

So in 2018 Glasgow will have the European Aquatics champions, the Europe Track Cycling championships, the Gymnastics championships.

Glasgow will be hosting the Inaugural European Sports championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Sports_Championships

''The European Sports Championships is a multi-sport event involving the co-branding of the individual European championships of some of the leading sports in Europe. It is organized by the individual continental federations of those sports under a single brand. This competition is not related to the European Games which are organised in the Olympic tradition by the European Olympic Committees.''

So in 2018 Glasgow will have the European Aquatics champions, the Europe Track Cycling championships, the Gymnastics championships.

Don't forget Triathlon and golf!

Overall, Galsgow will be hosting 126 medal events and Berlin will host 47. It is meant to attract bigger TV audiences and hopefully the best athletes in Europe. At least that is the idea!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

With the XIst Commonwealth Games over i thought i would do a comparison between Glasgow and the Gold Coast to see who came out on top.

Baton - Glasgow

Mascot - Tie

Medals - Glasgow

Podium design - Glasgow

Medal ceremony music - Glasgow

Medal Ceremony outfits - Glasgow

Look of the games - Glasgow

Opening Ceremony - Gold Coast

Weather - Gold Coast (although it rained more than it did in Glasgow)

Outside event scenery - Glasgow

Closing Ceremony - Glasgow

Overall winner - GLASGOW

3 hours ago, Scotguy said:

With the XIst Commonwealth Games over i thought i would do a comparison between Glasgow and the Gold Coast to see who came out on top.

Baton - Glasgow

Mascot - Tie

Medals - Glasgow

Podium design - Glasgow

Medal ceremony music - Glasgow

Medal Ceremony outfits - Glasgow

Look of the games - Glasgow

Opening Ceremony - Gold Coast

Weather - Gold Coast (although it rained more than it did in Glasgow)

Outside event scenery - Glasgow

Closing Ceremony - Glasgow

Overall winner - GLASGOW

No bias I'm sure. lolol

I'd probably put it

Baton: Glasgow

Mascot: Gold Coast

Medals: Glasgow

Podium Design: Tie

Medal Ceremony Music: Glasgow

Medal Ceremony Outfits: Gold Coast

Look of the Games: Gold Coast (had a dynamic London 2012 appeal which I loved)

Opening Ceremony: Gold Coast

Weather: Gold Coast

Outside event scenery: Tie (whatever floats ya boat really. I'm always a beach boy, but that's personal preference)

Closing Ceremony: Tie (both were bloody awful)

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

A few weeks ago was the 7th anniversary of the Glasgow Games :)

Take me back! 

Glasgow is the perfect city for the new concept of sporting events, unfortunately the IOC can't/won't see it. Still pissed about them not giving 2018 YOG to the city.

Were any reasons given for Glasgow's 'failure'? Was it too close to London 2012 for the IOC, was the uncertainty over the looming referendum mentioned, or was it just one of those things (there have to be losing bids, it's just the way it is)? I find it hard to believe there were major venue or technical issues.

Glasgow 2014 was a fabulous Games and I agree with what you said in the CWG thread that it really provides the blueprint for the size and vibe for what that event should be. The YOG seemed a natural fit as well. Maybe one to try for again at some point.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Glasgow to host World Indoor Athletics Championships in 2024

Another event for Glasgow to build on the legacy of 2014 :)

https://news.stv.tv/sport/glasgow-to-host-world-indoor-athletics-championships-in-2024?fbclid=IwAR2TYsT7mhXcMowDLO-VdF6jlvLvUkjy5osK465UpFFFncjsM3x50NnpFKk&top

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

As we near the 9th anniversary of the games... next month Glasgow will host the world cycling championships - another legacy from the 2014 games.

The number of world class events Glasgow has hosted since 2014 is a prime example of how to build a sporting legacy for your city post a big multi sport event.

Hampden Park has been included on a list of venues that is in the running to stage a European final in 2026 or 2027.

UEFA announced on Tuesday that the Glasgow stadium was a contender to host the final of the men’s Europa League, the men’s Conference League, or the Women’s Champions League in either of those years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/27/2023 at 12:56 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Just saw the new INDIANA JONES movie.  Apparently, the scenes with the Moon Landing parade in Manhattan were shot there, with parts of downtown Glasgow passing for midtown Manhattan.  

Yeah Glasgow gets used often for filming especially when depicting New York. it is because the city was built on a grid system similar to Manhattan with blocks and many of the streets and buildings are designed in the same style of particular eras.

• Like 1