Glasgow 2014

Nah, you weren't there, you don't know Glasgow. The games fitted the city very well, not too lavish, honest, where the sport shone through. Other cities could learn from Glasgow, why pretend to be something your not for a few weeks, money is not everything.

What a quaint British attitude- I always thought a Games in a city was a time to achieve great things and excellence beyond the everyday- something to be truly proud of. The British utilitarian vision of life is why London is like London and Paris like Paris.

Most of the world sees the Games though TV- a little polish goes a long way and doesn't cost much (like podiums, overlay etc..). It is not a matter of money.

What a quaint British attitude- I always thought a Games in a city was a time to achieve great things and excellence beyond the everyday- something to be truly proud of. The British utilitarian vision of life is why London is like London and Paris like Paris.

Most of the world sees the Games though TV- a little polish goes a long way and doesn't cost much (like podiums, overlay etc..). It is not a matter of money.

There was a theme of "sustainability" at Glasgow 14. Yes the podiums did look a little bit "cheap" but overall the idea was to encourage a more affordable future for the Games that cost definitly blew out of all proportions for it's size since 1998 (Manchester probably got it right though). The horrors of India stumbling over so badly in 2010 fresh in everyone's minds. Most of the equipment used in Glasgow, including that amazing raised Athletics track deck have already been spoken for. Ceremonies aside, the facilities used were not found wanting for anything for an event that is only quarter the size of an Olympics.

Glasgow did just fine in this respect.

• Like 2

There was a theme of "sustainability" at Glasgow 14. Yes the podiums did look a little bit "cheap" but overall the idea was to encourage a more affordable future for the Games that cost definitly blew out of all proportions for it's size since 1998 (Manchester probably got it right though). The horrors of India stumbling over so badly in 2010 fresh in everyone's minds. Most of the equipment used in Glasgow, including that amazing raised Athletics track deck have already been spoken for. Ceremonies aside, the facilities used were not found wanting for anything for an event that is only quarter the size of an Olympics.

Glasgow did just fine in this respect.

Yes, the podiums were crafted from fallen trees. The principle was fine, but the look of them may accidentally have been less effective than intended.

Many complain about Glasgow having looked cheap but at least their organization was far from being a disaster, unlike, ugh, four years ago. Glasgow brought back the simplicity which characterized the CWG when the games were growing out of control during the 00's and trying too hard to be like the Olympics. And I hope Gold Coast follows the same path.

I still miss the dismantling of those 5 towers. Whatever happened to those 5 condemned towers? Are they still up??

That plan was scrapped after many people complained and called it unappropiate (myself included. I think that part would had been too much over the top)

• Like 1

Many complain about Glasgow having looked cheap but at least their organization was far from being a disaster, unlike, ugh, four years ago. Glasgow brought back the simplicity which characterized the CWG when the games were growing out of control during the 00's and trying too hard to be like the Olympics. And I hope Gold Coast follows the same path.

That plan was scrapped after many people complained and called it unappropiate (myself included. I think that part would had been too much over the top)

"Trying to be more like the Olympics"

Aside from Delhi (which did this out of national interest), Melbourne and Manchester weren't doing that. Melbourne was on a big scale but using facilities that were most suitable for the city.

Manchester was a good bar standard. To Mancunians it may have felt like a consolation prize but they really did will with it, bringing down the oversize of KL four years previous. Kind of as big as you wanted them. But now we are in the post austerity era and the games themselves have evolved into a more "relaxed" affair best used as an insight to post and pre Olympic expectations. Glasgow was the pioneer to this era, so they get a free pass for good points and bad ( yes there were some).

However it will be Gold Coast that will need to build on this...and whoever follows in 2022.

The Gold Coast, being a 'smaller' regional city will host a modest style of Games.They have most venues in place, and can also call on a few venues in Southern Brisbane (like Glasgow did with the diving).

No chance of a Melbourne/Delhi or KL Part 2.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I really reject Melbourne being heaped in with the mega projects of Delhi or KL. GC18 is already a bigger infrastructure project than M2006, and its a much smaller city. Melbourne made use of existing venues with upgrades where necessar, many of which would have occurred regardless of 2006, with the notable exception of the MSAC expansion.

2006 might have looked big, but it was the most appropriate way for Melbourne and in no way comparable to 1998 and 2010.

In a similar measure, it could be argued that 2018 would have been more sustainably staged in Sydney, utilising 2000 venues--- it would have looked big but would have been practical, like 2006.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I really reject Melbourne being heaped in with the mega projects of Delhi or KL. GC18 is already a bigger infrastructure project than M2006, and its a much smaller city. Melbourne made use of existing venues with upgrades where necessar, many of which would have occurred regardless of 2006, with the notable exception of the MSAC expansion.

2006 might have looked big, but it was the most appropriate way for Melbourne and in no way comparable to 1998 and 2010.

In a similar measure, it could be argued that 2018 would have been more sustainably staged in Sydney, utilising 2000 venues--- it would have looked big but would have been practical, like 2006.

It is no criticism of Melbourne- it had an array of enormous venues and held them there. No problem. In the order of large game, s Melbourne is up there with Delhi and KL.

Other cities just should not aim to emulate it.

It is no criticism of Melbourne- it had an array of enormous venues and held them there. No problem. In the order of large game, s Melbourne is up there with Delhi and KL.

Other cities just should not aim to emulate it.

Sadly, Delhi did...with disastrous results.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The full opening ceremony is now available.

http://youtu.be/ZlYwNqixTig

Whatever you think about it - it means so much to Glasgow and is one of the most relevant and true ceremonies.

:) Just watched the OC again myself just to get a handle on a few things. This time I went in with the frame of mind of not expecting an Olympic sized performance.

However I just still feel there were too many holes to fill...even with the then approaching Referendum. The most glaringly obvious was the omission of "Flower Of Scotland" and the puzzling look on peoples faces when that announcer so blatantly announced everyone to join in for the singing of the National Anthem and really laid it on with a trowel "God Save Our Gracious Queen"...in such a patronising tone.

The region to region marching out of the teams is still something to get used to, and watching Australia marching out to "Royals" pisses me off still, but it does sound if it was cut off abruptly - clearly a mistake quickly corrected?

Did it inspire me more than the first time I watched it?...Not really...But the games themselves were pretty good for a CWGs even if they lacked a bit of that Olympic spark.

Oh and I still can't hold my attention beyond 10minutes for the Closing Ceremony. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just heard on the USA gymnastics show that the 2015 Gymnastics World Championships will be in Glasgow in late October.

Yeah Baron, The Championships will be at the Hydro Arena - Venue for the 2014 Commonwealth Games Gymnastics competition. Glasgow also recently hosted the Para World Aquatic Champs.

Also will be the Davis Cup Semi final between GB and Australia at the Emirates Arena.

Since the 2014 Commonwealth Games, the sporting legacy for Glasgow has been very good...

Yeah Baron, The Championships will be at the Hydro Arena - Venue for the 2014 Commonwealth Games Gymnastics competition. Glasgow also recently hosted the Para World Aquatic Champs.

Also will be the Davis Cup Semi final between GB and Australia at the Emirates Arena.

Since the 2014 Commonwealth Games, the sporting legacy for Glasgow has been very good...

:) Proves the matra, "build it - they'll come"...Pity that's lost on some of the morons that runs NZ's biggest city. :angry:

:) Proves the matra, "build it - they'll come"...Pity that's lost on some of the morons that runs NZ's biggest city. :angry:

That's one example of positive legacy. There's other examples which tell a different story. All depends on whether cities have a long-term strategy in mind when bidding for events.

• Like 1