Glasgow 2014

Hmmm....Not really...Team Great Britain combined is easily out pacing them.

You havent been around long enough, try 1994 CWGs, Thats when Australia pretty much won everything! :blink:

Combined Team GB doesn't provide a good reference either as due to the split of countries it is allowed far more places qualifying.

But England itself is performing very well. Australia is doing great, but England is snapping at its heals. Makes for a more interesting Games.

• Like 1

Combined Team GB doesn't provide a good reference either as due to the split of countries it is allowed far more places qualifying.

But England itself is performing very well. Australia is doing great, but England is snapping at its heals. Makes for a more interesting Games.

Exactly. It's about as futile and impossible an exercise as trying to combine the FRG and GDR medals at the games up to 88 to get a "United Germany" total, or trying to separate the USSR's medals into individual republics - or vice-versa. Quotas just makes simple total additions meaningless.

At this point of time I'd expect GB to finish above us at Rio. Hopefully (for us) in the 2020s the gap may shorten again. And naturally a team GB would likely top a Glasgow tally, but that's not the point. Team GB doesn't compete at the Commies. Might as well predict Team USA or China would top the table if they competed.

Even if Australia still tops the medal table here (which I expect we will) it is still a huge concession (and even 'victory' to England) to have it almost on par with us on Day 6. Compare that to Delhi four years ago where the top three golds were Australia with 74, India with 38 and England with 37. Not likely to happen here.

Incredible impact London 2012 has had. Lets just see if it can be sustained, and not go they way of Australia of going into a 'medal recession' a decade after hosting.

I wouldn't say medal recession. Just a readjustment of expectations after a golden period. It'll be a long while till we see our Sydney or Athens highs again. But we're still, in Olympic terms at least, well ahead of of our performances over most of the 90s, much less the depths of the late 70s-early 80s.

Meanwhile, for the Commies at least, yeah, it's great to have a competitive England. More satisfying than a lop- sided competition. I thought and was hoping that Delhi, in the lead up to London, was going to be the one they might take the fight to us. Looks likely it may well happen here finally.

Edited by Tunku Rols

It will probably go lop-sided gain for 2018...Home games always boost a medals table for the host, gee look at Scotland, they barely get a look in most games. Australia will always dominate as they have a sporting culture and a legacy of generous government funding since 1976.

Canada is making a good showing, but I would've thought India would be stronger.

Athletes mum is desperately looking for badminton quarter final tickets.

My son has done better than expected and has qualified for quarters. I bought £4000 worth of tickets for every session for our family but didn't buy for individual quarters.

Now that he's made it I need to get some tickets.

Will travel 50 mile radius of Glasgow to collect.

Will take 1-25 tickets.

Thanks

Ooops forgot to say email me at sandrafont17@gmail.com

Ooops forgot to say email me at sandrafont17@gmail.com

What I don't understand about the headguard issue is why the women are still deemed to need them. As much as I like the change of emphasis that has been brought about by essentially adopting the professional 10-point must scoring system, which I feel has made the tournament even more competitive, it is unrealistic to think that things like this won't happen. Having seen the cut he sustained in his semi-final today, I fear one of the Northern Ireland boxers will face a similar fate tomorrow and we will see more problems like this come Rio unless action is taken.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why they decided to relax the rules on headgear? It seems very odd to me! :huh:

Edited by Mainad

Concussion - goes against what you'd believe but the evidence suggests when it comes to the risk of concussion the head guards were actually increasing rather than decreasing the risk.

There is a mixed view on this. Head guards give a false sense of security in tournaments so risks are taken by the wearer more often. A wayward punch either unintentional or otherwise still hits the same with or without headgear. At least without the headgear you are more aware and less likely to be careless.

There is a mixed view on this. Head guards give a false sense of security in tournaments so risks are taken by the wearer more often. A wayward punch either unintentional or otherwise still hits the same with or without headgear. At least without the headgear you are more aware and less likely to be careless.

That is precisely the issue. Although there haven't been headguards in men's bouts for some time (I'm pretty sure there weren't any at last year's world championships), by encouraging a more aggressive, perhaps more professional, style of boxing, the federation is increasing the risk of head clashes and the sort of cuts that we are seeing. I've heard commentators say the boxers will have to get used to it, and they will, but I agree with Richie Woodhall, the BBC's excellent analyst, that it is not a good image for the sport.

That is precisely the issue. Although there haven't been headguards in men's bouts for some time (I'm pretty sure there weren't any at last year's world championships), by encouraging a more aggressive, perhaps more professional, style of boxing, the federation is increasing the risk of head clashes and the sort of cuts that we are seeing. I've heard commentators say the boxers will have to get used to it, and they will, but I agree with Richie Woodhall, the BBC's excellent analyst, that it is not a good image for the sport.

Same here. The dripping blood gushing out from cuts is really off putting. If I was a parent it would not encourage me to sign up my kids up for boxing lessons.

• Like 1

Two senior officials of the Indian Olympics Association, including its secretary Rajeev Mehta, have been arrested in Glasgow on charges of alleged assault, according to reports. The officials are in Glasgow for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The meet is ending tonight. (India on Day 10 at CWG: Pallikal-Joshana Grab Gold, India Pick Up Medals Aplenty on Penultimate Day)

Scotland Police said, two male members - aged 45 and 49 - were arrested on separate charges. Reports say, while Mehta was arrested for drunken driving, wrestling referee Virender Malik was booked for sexual assault. The two will be produced in court on Monday.

http://sports.ndtv.com/commonwealth-games-2014/news/227771-two-indian-olympic-officials-at-commonwealth-games-arrested-reports

• 3 weeks later...

2014 Commonwealth Games track moved to Grangemouth Stadium

The 2014 Commonwealth Games athletics track at Hampden Park is to be lifted and moved to Grangemouth Stadium.

Falkirk Community Trust (FCT), which runs the venue, applied as part of the Games legacy programme to receive sports equipment after the event.

FCT will also receive £30,000 worth of equipment including javelins, distance markers, hammers and boxing gloves.

Work to lay the £600,000 track at its new home is expected to take about five weeks to complete.

Falkirk Council's Adrian Mahoney said: "The Games were a massive success for Glasgow and as part of the legacy programme we are really fortunate to be able to benefit from this amazing gesture.

"It means that athletes across the area can train using the best and most modern equipment on a state-of-the-art track to further develop their skills."

BBC

Edited by Sir Rols

Glasgow chosen to host 2018 European Swimming Championships

The biannual event will be held in Scotland for the first time since its inception in 1926.

Swimming, diving, synchronised swimming and open water swimming events will be held, with the Commonwealth Games venues of Tollcross International Swimming Centre, Strathclyde Country Park and Edinburgh's Royal Commonwealth Pool likely to be used.

The decision was announced in Berlin, where the Championships are currently being held. London will host the 2016 event before it moves on to Glasgow.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/289303-glasgow-chosen-to-host-2018-european-swimming-championships/

Wow, its been a month since they started, and already I've forgotten them for anything spectacular (apart from NZs topsy turvy results), nothing really negitive jumped out, but then nothing outlandishly spectacular either...You could say they really were "a safe pair of hands".

...anyone?