Glasgow 2014

Today marks exactly 6 Months until the Opening Ceremony of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games - http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2014/1018005-glasgow-2014-marks-six-months-to-go-by-launching-search-for-ceremonies-cast

I can't believe it is only 6 months to go until opening night. When Glasgow won the right to host the games in 2007, Vancouver was 3 years away, London 5 years away - oh how time goes by too quickly

I can't believe Sydney 2000 will be 14 years ago this September! It is incredible.

I smile now when I see NSW state number plates on older cars that still have the "NSW - Towards 2000" on them. The event basically defined the state (and to a lesser degree, the whole country) for that seven years from 1993. I've seen a sticker in a shop years ago that said "NSW - Beyond 2000?" :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Help, past tense talk...Four years ago it was panic mode for the CGF...New Delhi just looked awful. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. At least we were enjoying the Vancouver Winter Olympics at this time. Glasgow was so far away...Even more so at the Closing Ceremony of ND 2010.

Glasgow 2014 announces £200,000 funding for Ceremonies cast

February 10 - Hampden_Park_will_stage_the_Closing_CereGlasgow 2014 organisers have announced that £200,000 ($328,000/€240,000) of funding is being made available to support the recruitment of cast members for Ceremonies at the Commonwealth Games.

The search for 3,000 volunteers to take part in the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of Glasgow 2014 was launched last month.

Both Ceremonies will be created and produced by events company Jack Morton Worldwide, who also created the events for Manchester 2002 and Melbourne 2006, as well as working on Athens 2004 Olympic Games and the FIFA 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Financial support to assist with costs will be made available to successful cast members and will be targeted to assist participation in the events by those facing challenges meeting costs, including independent living support, carer costs, childcare and travel to Glasgow.

The funding will be independently administered by Volunteer Scotland and Voluntary Arts Scotland.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2014/1018337-glasgow-2014-announces-200-000-funding-for-ceremonies-cast

I wonder how much this all costs - considering the Olympics have scrapped the worldwide torch relay I'm surprised the Commonwealth Games haven't followed suit.

Well, the Baton doesn't include a gas bill and it is a considerably safer, less complex machine than a overworked olympic torch. And it's only one baton so it all must be much cheaper.

Glasgow 2014: City to host 'Pride House' during games

A dedicated venue will be set up in Glasgow during the Commonwealth Games to welcome lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people to the city.

Pride House will be located at a Glasgow City Council-owned site in Albion Street in the Merchant City.

The Scottish government will contribute £25,000 towards the initiative.

The first Pride House was organised for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. The Russian authorities blocked moves for one at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

The Scottish government said Pride House in Glasgow would "provide a welcoming place" for people to view the Commonwealth Games and "enjoy the events and cultural programmes" around it.

Future legacy

Sport Minister Shona Robison said: "As both minister for the Commonwealth Games and for equality, I am delighted to announce the venue for Pride House.

"Scotland is already a world leader on LGBT equality and I am delighted to announce that to further boost these credentials the Scottish government is providing almost £25,000 to support Pride House during games time.

"Through a programme of partner events and activities, Pride House will provide a warm welcome to Scotland's LGBT community and visitors from near and far during games time as well as creating a legacy for the future."

The Pride House initiative is being led by Leap Sports Scotland, an organisation which promotes equality and diversity in sports as well as encouraging and developing greater participation from the LGBT community.

Leap chairman Hugh Torrance said: "Pride House is an important addition to the Glasgow 2014 programme, and will offer a programme of inclusive sport, cultural and social events.

"2014 has already been a historic year for LGBT equality in Scotland, and the support of the Scottish government sends an important message about our country's commitment to equality in sport."

Glasgow City Council leader Gordon Matheson said: "Glasgow is famous for its warm welcome to all, and Pride House will no doubt be another example of our friendly outlook to visitors to the city.

"I look forward to what will be a fantastic addition to the greatest games ever in Glasgow this summer."