Glasgow 2014

I like the idea of it as a lantern - as opposed to LED lights of Manchester and Melbourne. Looks great.

Actually this is the first night pic of the Baton...it really does look good. Agree .

• 3 weeks later...

50p coin for next year's CWGs...This one not designed by daveypodmore as far as I'm aware... :)

_72012600_commonwealth_games_50-pence.jp

The 50p coin will feature two sports - athletics and cycling - as well as the Saltire of Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25558632

They the UK produce a coin for the London Olympics?

I have always thought it a bit of an anomaly that the Royal Australian Mint produced commemorative coins for the 1982 and 2006 Commonwealth Games but did nothing to mark the 2000 Olympics.

*did the UK.

Sydney had the commemorative mint coins - I have the full silver and bronze $5 sets. But, no, we didn't have any coins used in general circulation.

I kick myself now I didn't get Davey to autograph my Podmore 50p when I had the chance!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

I have always thought it a bit of an anomaly that the Royal Australian Mint produced commemorative coins for the 1982 and 2006 Commonwealth Games but did nothing to mark the 2000 Olympics.

It's de rigeur for every Olympics and World's Fair or even Regional games to command new coins from the Mint and new stamps from the Post Office. It makes those gov't institutions pay for themselves.

Coins minted are usually a cheap form of national advertising and support. The CGF probibly hopes for it but I think the IOC are tight on the image of the Olympics and wanted a cut of revenue with the minting of coins?

Coins in circulation as well as collector packs hang around for years. Brizzy's are still around. Apart from face value only worth for nostelgea.

Stamps are always a popular revenue gatherer, a fund raiser as well. Stamp packs are a great collector item. I still have my CWG 1990 folder stored away along with Americas Cup and RWC2011 packs. They'll never see the light of day in my lifetime.

Grab your coins while they are shiny and seal them in acrylic!

It's de rigeur for every Olympics and World's Fair or even Regional games to command new coins from the Mint and new stamps from the Post Office. It makes those gov't institutions pay for themselves.

Sure, but my point is that here in Australia we had nothing produced to mark the 2000 Olympics - at least not anything in common circulation. Plenty of Brisbane 1982 and Melbourne 2006 50c coins floating about though - the Brisbane ones in particular, given their age, are quite common even today (I'd say even moreso than the 2006 coins - must have been mass produced)

Brisbane 1982 50c:

1982detr.gif

The rarer Melbourne 2006:

2006g.jpg

Today marks 200 Days until The Opening Ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland at Celtic Park. Progress is going as planned, with the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome and Emirates Arena completed, Celtic Park Exisiting and Hampden Park has closed for works on Temporary Running Track. How's progress on the rest of the Venues?

I think they are all completed. The hydro arena is finished the aquatics centre has been upgraded. It will just be slight modifications in the run up to the games later in the year.

You're slipping Scotguy - what abou the relay? I wanna see the baton in Abuja!!!!!!!!!

Commonwealth Games Baton To Arrive Nigeria

The Queens Baton for the 2014 Commonwealth Games is scheduled to arrive in Abuja on Monday, January 6 and would be received by officials of the Nigerian Olympic Committee and members of the 2014 Commonwealth Games Queens Baton Relay Committee.

The Baton is usually taken across all Commonwealth Countries to signify the commencement of preparations of the Commonwealth Games.

The Baton was last received in Ghana and paraded in Accra and Kumasi.

According to the Itinerary released by the organizing Committee, the Director General National Sports Commission Hon. Gbenga Elegbeleye will receive the Baton in company of diplomats from Commonwealth countries accredited to Nigeria.

Thereafter the Motorcade will proceed to the Presidential Villa where the Baton will be handed to the Hon. Minister and Chairman, National Sports Commission, Mr Bolaji Abdullahi.

He is expected to present the Baton to the President Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

The event is expected to climax at the State house with remarks from the President after which he will hand it over to the Hon. Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) for a procession through the FCT.

The seven member Queen Baton bearers led by Sharad Rao Commonwealth Games Federation representative will leave Nigeria on Wednesday January 8, 2014.

Channels

Edited by Sir Rols

Jonathan receives Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay

President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday expressed hope that Nigeria will put a better performance in the Commonwealth Games scheduled for July this year than it did in previous competitions.

The President spoke when he received the baton of the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Abuja at an event held at the forecourt of Aso Rock presidential villa.

The President who was dressed in a white track suit for the event added that he was also glad Nigeria was fully involved in the Queen’s Baton Relay, of 2014 Commonwealth Games which was flagged off by Queen Elizabeth II at the Buckingham Palace in October 2013.

Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, the Minister of Sports handed the baton over to President Jonathan who later passed it on to Senator Bala Mohammed, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, for its onward journey to other parts of the FCT.

The short event was witnessed by Vice President Namadi Sambo; other top government officials, the top echelon of National Sports Commission, and the Commonwealth Games delegation.

This year’s Commonwealth Games will hold in Glasgow between 23 July and 3 August.

PIC-5-a-QUEEN.jpgPIC-3-QUEENS.jpg

PM News

Would love it if it were hijacked by disgruntled Abuja 2014 organisers.

Imagine if we were following the relay to Abuja 2014 right now...