Glasgow 2014

Yeah it would have been nice if the PM or the Sports Minister or even the Governor General accepted it. I guess they are too busy. I did get emotional when they were running up the hill to parliament with it - i guess that more as i was thinking of home and family at the time.

Yeah it would have been nice if the PM or the Sports Minister or even the Governor General accepted it. I guess they are too busy. I did get emotional when they were running up the hill to parliament with it - i guess that more as i was thinking of home and family at the time.

Agreed the PM or Sports Minister should have been there. When the rugby world cup came to parliament they were both there. In 2000 Helen Clark carried the Olympic flame. Poor form really! I had a job interview otherwise I would have been there as well.

Agreed the PM or Sports Minister should have been there. When the rugby world cup came to parliament they were both there. In 2000 Helen Clark carried the Olympic flame. Poor form really! I had a job interview otherwise I would have been there as well.

The sports minister should've been there, but he has a split portfolio...getting the PM to front probibly didnt qualify for his busy time.

RWC was a different matter, we were hosting it and are current holders. Of course the Olympic Flame is something else.

So what's the equivalent of the Lighting of the Flame at Olympia for the CWG's Baton? The Unveiling of the Baton from the Factory?? :lol:

Cock.

...actually you have both...Peginis.

The sports minister should've been there, but he has a split portfolio...getting the PM to front probibly didnt qualify for his busy time.

RWC was a different matter, we were hosting it and are current holders. Of course the Olympic Flame is something else.

Yes agreed, but still not a good look in my opinion!

I agree with you Michael. New Zealand is a major team in the games and has been to every games. Ticket sales and interest has exceeded that of 2010 and even 2006. Plus there is a big connection between Scotland and New Zealand. The sports minister being there, even changing his schedule or a senior minister would have just been more appropriate.

• Like 1

Whakindda stupid question is that?? <_<

#1 - Alexj's reply was a course, snide, offensive one.

#2 - Why is it a stupid question? Aren't the CWGs and OTHER tournaments copies or wanna-bee Olympics? So, one can't ASK how they set off the Baton relay in grand style the way the OG Torch Relay sets off with great ceremony from its birthplace, Olympia, Greece? Why is that a stupid question? Or is that something that just goes over your head? If u don't have a sensible answer; then just say so.

^^ It's a ceremony at Buckingham Palace on where the Queen puts her message inside the baton, then hands it over to the first runner, thus beginning the relay. There, happy now? Now both of you stop derailing the thread. Thank you.

:P Haa Haa Baron, you deserved it with your smart arse remarks you always throw in here on the Commonwealth Games pages, totally pointless.

Go take a cruise ship voyage...a real long one.

Go to hell, Alexj. U've become quite a jackass lately. I don't know who u think u are. Don't need to take crap from you. U've been reported and are going on IGNORE asap.

Oh, so you are allowed to throw flippant comments all over topics that you love to put down, and yet when finally confronted you go running off to teacher?

Grow a pair :angry:

• Like 1

Oh, so you are allowed to throw flippant comments all over topics that you love to put down, and yet when finally confronted you go running off to teacher?

There is a difference between Baron making fun of the CWG and you offending him as a person. I for my part can understand him here. Take the time to calm down a bit. :)

• Like 1

There is a difference between Baron making fun of the CWG and you offending him as a person. I for my part can understand him here. Take the time to calm down a bit. :)

Oh dear. I was trying to obey Ikarus' wise advice to let this thread get back on track, but I happen to think that Alex's comment above, to which munichfan was replying, was not actually wrong. Habitual low-level misbehaviour on the part of an individual (no single instance serious enough to justify official sanction) will, sooner or later, generate enough irritation to result in a high-level response.

Rugby Sevens teams: Australia, Canada, Cook Islands, England, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Scotland, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, Wales

I wonder if there is a place for Fiji if it is allowed back in as a participant in March 2014....I gotta feeling we are going to see a new Commonwealth champ next year going by form at the moment.