Glasgow 2014

Netball teams:

New Zealand, Australia, England, Jamaica, Malawi, South Africa, Fiji, Wales, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Northern Ireland and hosts Scotland are the teams that will compete in the Commonwealth Games.[/size]

Pffftt...Pretty much can see which teams are in the semi's already...

The Organising Committee of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games today (Tuesday 16 July) launched its official Cultural Programme and unveiled the new brand that will promote the year-long countdown of events.

http://glasgow2014.com/press-releases/glasgow-2014-cultural-programme-unveiled-nationwide-celebration

The Organising Committee of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games today (Tuesday 16 July) launched its official Cultural Programme and unveiled the new brand that will promote the year-long countdown of events.

http://glasgow2014.com/press-releases/glasgow-2014-cultural-programme-unveiled-nationwide-celebration

:blink::D WOW that's LOUD!!!

...Still seems ages away though... :( ...maybe it's the s##t winter we're having!

Edited by Alexjc

It does look like a Thistle though...Probibly why they design the starburst ball that way, giving that CGF pedestal thingy some use...actually it's clever.

To be honest, at first the Culture 2014 logo reminded me of a more exciting version of Auckland's 1990 Games logo. Did any other CWG prior to Manchester have cultural programs? I can't find anything online prior to 2002. I went to Melbourne's "Festival 2006" which was actually extremely good - and the festival template was used for the refreshed Melbourne Festival from 2007 onwards, making it one of the more interesting legacies for the city from the 2006 Games.

Previous logos for comparison:

Manchester 2002 Spirit of Friendship (otherwise known as "cultureshock 2002')

cultureshock_t.gif

Melbourne 2006 Festival

FM2006Logo_str.jpg

I couldn't find anything on Delhi 2010 - but I did find this image which I found amusing:

commonwealth-games-2010.jpg

Ready? Apparently not!

Edited by runningrings

Just read the 2014 ticketing guide and it says that the opening and closing ceremonies, start and end times will be confirmed in 2014, so we don't know if it will indeed be a daylight ceremony.

Sky TV /Prime have been named as the New Zealand and Pacific Island broadcasters of Glasgow, with Sky providing 6 SD and HD channels for the event.

I wonder whether sky will be broascasting the 2014/2016 Olympics? Apparently they lost 10 million out of the 2012 Olympics.

The fighting words are starting (good to see also they're starting to hype up the competition):

England hoping to bring an end to Australia's Commonwealth Games dominance at Glasgow

HUMBLED in Ashes battle, overshadowed at the Tour de France and eclipsed at Wimbledon by superior British athletes, Australian sport is exactly one year away from another moment of reckoning - the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Australia has topped the Commonwealth Games medal tally at every Games since Edinburgh in 1986, but the aura of invincibility is under siege as never before.

Driven by the memories of last year's London Olympics, England is hatching a plan to end Australia's long Games domination - just as it has in a host of other sports.

Since the introduction of National Lottery in the wake of a dismal performance at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, where its athletes won only one gold medal, British athletes have risen steadily to world-beaters.

And no nation has improved as much as England.

With one year to run to the start of the July 23-August 3 Games in Glasgow, the vibe in the United Kingdom is that Australia is no longer the feared force it once was.

Australian Chef de Mission Steve Moneghetti will address those challenges as Scottish officials prepare to mark the "one year to go" milestone with muted celebrations.

As gritty and tough as the Glaswegian stereotype is, organising committe CEO David Grevemberg predicts the 20th Games edition will be the "People's Games."

He also acknowledges the overall importance of the success of the next Games ahead of the Gold Coast's 2018 hosting - especially after the troubled preparations of the 2010 New Delhi Games.

"This is the people's Games," the former American wrestler said. "And it's so important that the people of Glasgow and Scotland feel that."

The Glasgow Games will feature 17 sports, contested at 14 venues compressed into three clusters.

The showpiece stadium is the 60,000-seater Celtic Park, site of the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field.

Several other stadia have been purpose built for Scotland's third Game hosting.

But, as with all Games, star power will ultimately decide the success or failure.

Games officials are desperate for track and field's brightest stars from London 2012 to venture to Scotland. Usain Bolt, Mo Farrah, Jessica Ennis and Sally Pearson are among the banner figures Scotland wishes to accommodate.

Australia has issues of its own after the vapid performance of its swimming team in London, while it also faces another serious challenge in track and field to push England. And, even with the retirements of cyclists Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton, the Cyclones will be under immense pressure to continue their dominance on road and track.

more: Fox Sport

And in reply:

Olympic Games - Australia determined to retain Commonwealth Games crown Australia, buffeted by a series of high-profile sporting failures, has boosted funding for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and demanded their athletes retain top spot in the medal standings.

The proud sporting country has ruled the roost at the quadrennial Games for nearly two decades, topping the medals table since 1990 and keeping bragging rights over their former colonial masters.

The sporting balance of power has shifted firmly back to England and the home nations, however, with Team GB topping Australia in the medal counts at the last two Olympic Games, and other British teams dominating their traditional rivalries.

Australia's national rugby team were defeated 2-1 by the British and Irish Lions earlier this month, the touring team's first series win since 1997, and England's cricket team has heaped on more misery by taking a 2-0 lead in the ongoing Ashes test series.

The prospect of England, who compete separately from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland at the Commonwealths, reasserting their dominance in the Games they invented would be an unedifying prospect Down Under, but Australia chef de mission Steve Moneghetti was having none of it.

"Their best isn't better than ours, now if we perform at our best that will be good enough to top the medal tally and I'm looking forward to our athletes relishing that challenge," Moneghetti, wearing a kilt, told Reuters on Tuesday, one year out from Glasgow.

"We've got England obviously biting at our heels, but I'm really confident that our athletes will rise to the occasion.

"There's a great affinity, a great rivalry between Australia and the British countries so I reckon that's really going to athletes' perceptions, the way they want to perform."

Having won the marathon at the 1994 Vancouver Games and a bronze at Edinburgh in 1986 the last time England topped the medals table, Moneghetti is well-acquainted with the cyclical nature of sports.

The British teams, flush with success from the stunning performances of their athletes at the London Olympics and given a chance to strut in their own backyard, are likely to bring strong teams, he said, having brought low quality outfits to the shambolic 2010 Games in Delhi.

Glasgow is likely to offer Australia its toughest competition since the 1970s, and local sporting federations had been put on notice, according to Perry Crosswhite, the country's Commonwealth Games chief.

"I think it is important to maintain our dominance," he told Reuters at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre, where Australia's swimmers reaped their usual big harvest from the host pool at the 2006 Games.

"I think that the public expect us to always do well at the Commonwealth Games, and I think for some of our athletes who possibly didn't do as well at London as they wanted to, this is their opportunity to do well against a lot of the same athletes."

The expectations have been accompanied by more government funding, and Australia's Commonwealth Games federation has boosted its share of that by nearly 20 percent compared to the Delhi Games.

Former world champion discus thrower Dani Samuels pulled out of the Delhi Games because of fears over security but Crosswhite anticipated all the top Australians would be in Glasgow.

"We haven't had any indication that anyone's staying away, whether it's an operation or a medical treatment or something. Everybody's aiming for it," he said.

"The swimmers are all particularly committed to that. They've got the Pan Pacific (championships) three weeks after but the Commonwealth Games are their first objective," he added.

Delhi was marred by controversies ranging from crumbling infrastructure to the absence of high-profile athletes like sprinter Usain Bolt.

Glasgow would offer the Games movement fresh impetus, said Crosswhite, who called on the Jamaican to commit himself to competing.

"It's important for Usain Bolt. It's probably the only medal he hasn't won," he said. "Glasgow knows it, the Commonwealth Games all know it.

"There shouldn't be (such attention) for just one athlete, but it is because the media will just go ballistic if he doesn't turn up."

Yahoo