U.S. Elections

Detroit

Romney clinches Republican nomination

Mitt Romney became the Republican nominee for president on Tuesday afternoon, passing the required threshold of 1,144 delegates in a roll-call vote of convention delegates here.

Romney’s nomination--long assured, after he triumphed in a bitter and expensive primary fight--became official at 5:40 p.m., with 50 votes from New Jersey. Later Tuesday, the same delegates are expected to nominate Romney’s chosen running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) for vice president.

http://www.washingto...6d89_story.html

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was very interesting that it took Chris Christie 20 minutes before he even mentioned Romney by name in the keynote speech at the convention tonight. One TV pundit likened Romney to Prince Charles visiting New Guinea wearing a kilt, as Romney seemed out of place and just a figurehead within the Republican party.

Was it just me or was there some subdued reaction to Romney's nomination by the delegates at the convention? To me, it didn't sound like an enthusiastic response to Romney's win.

Sorry but the whole "show" around the elections is ridiculous for me.

But in fact the republicans party agenda is kind of dangerous and makes me think in which century live these people? Late 19th century?

To be fair, Germany could do with clear contrasts between the parties, as well as primaries involving party members (not like today where party bosses select the party leader behind closed doors). Right now, we have a Chancellor who is Christian Democrat in name only. She has raised taxes, gutted educational standards, made us energy-dependent on the Russian Federation and is transferring billions of Euros to other EU economies and large banks without real preconditions. Most of her policies might as well have been copied from the Social Democrat platform.

That aside, Romney's speech was full of platitudes and Obama-bashing, whilst lacking any kind of specifics on what he would actually do if he were elected President. I don't know what the man stands for, except that he is quite patently for nuclear energy, is sceptical on Russia and wants to revert the President's healthcare reform. I can still remember John McCain giving a much more substantial speech as the Republican nominee.

Nonetheless, we Europeans also need to be cautious when judging the political scene in the United States. Americans tend to have a more entrepreneurial spirit and feel less dependent on the government as a source of innovation and economic progress. I'm not endorsing scorched-earth tactics, partisan gridlock or an almost comical reliance on cultural issues (seriously, America has no bigger problems than the pro-choice/anti-choice debate - just to name one example) or the denial of certain truths (yes, National Rifle Association and deniers of climate change, I'm looking at you). But I do think that there is a more healthy, less politically correct and vigorous debate on political issues. In Germany, we'd do well to inject this kind of energy into our debates. It's not unsportsmanlike to point out the flaws of each party's plan - it's a basic necessity in a democracy that requires choices.

Obama should have Tom Hanks speak at the DNC next week. Hanks is more appealing than Eastwood across the board to most people.

I hope he won't need to talk to an empty chair! :wacko:;)

It was sad to see Clint Eastwood rambling and talking to himself...

Romney's speech scared me.

And, to think, it was approved by the aides of Romney and Romney himself.

It was very interesting that it took Chris Christie 20 minutes before he even mentioned Romney by name in the keynote speech at the convention tonight. One TV pundit likened Romney to Prince Charles visiting New Guinea wearing a kilt, as Romney seemed out of place and just a figurehead within the Republican party.

I am pretty sure we are only four years removed from the weakest President and most-powerful Cabinet in American history. So it might be the Republicans' style to use a meldable figurehead.

The last commentary I have heard said that the numbers cannot possibly add up for Romney if current trends hold. The only good news is that Romney has pulled Wisconsin into play and Indiana is safely back in the Republican fold. One person on Foxnews has even said Obama could pull Georgia into play.

Maybe it Is just me, but the DNC Convention stage reminds me of a Pepsi commercial:

628x471.jpg

Maybe a hologram of Ray Charles will emerge at some point...

The RNC Convention was a complete joke in my opinion, but I did find Eastwood funny in a senile old man sort of way.

Watched & listened to Bill Clinton's speech last night. WOW with a double W!!

I watched a replay today - and I gotta say, he made one hell of a case for Obama's re-election. Probably a better one than the President has so far...he's certainly upped the ante (in a positive way) for the President's speech tonight!

I watched a replay today - and I gotta say, he made one hell of a case for Obama's re-election. Probably a better one than the President has so far...he's certainly upped the ante (in a positive way) for the President's speech tonight!

I enjoyed Clinton's speech too. He pointed out lots of important points. Yeah Bush's mess is going to take more than 4 years to fix. I think it will take a good ten years to fix, maybe even more.

Romney's running mate is a complete tool; too young and inexperienced.

Archived