Detroit

I just counted the German governments since 1945

Adenauer I - 1949-1953 (4 years) / CDU/CSU, FDP, DP and GB/BHE government

Adenauer II - 1953-1957 (4 years) / CDU/CSU, FDP and DP government

Adenauer III - 1957-1961 (4 years) / CDU/CSU, FVP and DP government

Adenauer IV - 1961/1962 (1 year) / CDU/CSU + FDP government

Adenauer V - 1962/1963 (1 year) / CDU/CSU + FDP government

Erhard I - 1963-1965 (2 years / CDU/CSU + FDP government

Erhard II - 1965/1966 (1 year) / CDU/CSU + FDP government (the last time a pure / CDU/CSU government)

Kiesinger - 1966/1969 (3 years) / CDU/CSU + SPD government

Brandt I - 1969-1972 / SPD + FDP government

Brandt II - 1972-1974 / SPD + FDP government

Schmidt I - 1974-1976 / SPD + FDP government

Schmidt II - 1976-1980 / SPD + FDP government

Schmidt III - 1980-1982 / SPD + FDP government (the last time a pure SPD government)

Kohl I - 1982-1983 / CDU/CSU + FDP government

Kohl II - 1983-1987 / CDU/CSU + FDP government

Kohl III - 1987-1991 / CDU/CSU, FDP and DSU government

Kohl IV - 1991-1994 / CDU/CSU + FDP government

Kohl V - 1994-1998 / CDU/CSU + FDP government

Schröder I - 1998-2002 / SPD + The Greens government

Schröder II - 2002-2005 / SPD + The Greens government

Merkel I - 2005-2009 / CDU/CSU + SPD government

Mekel II - since 2009 / CDU/CSU + FDP government

The government changes up there is coherance between policy through the years. Each successive government builds on top of what previous governments have built, instead of tearing down and starting again and then tearing down and starting again. And politicians in the countries I've mentioned tend to have longer lives than those in the US.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Election coverage lost out to a Has-Been/Nothing Celebrity Dancing show and re-runs of NCIS and NCIS:LA

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/03/tv-ratings-tuesday-dancing-results-steady-biggest-loser-rises-election-2010-everywhere/70674

Er, not really.

Remember that the coverage is spread out four major networks as well the cable channels. Add it up, and you'll get a more accurate number.

2010 Election Tops Obama’s Presidential Win in Online Traffic

November 3, 2010

By Adam Ostrow

It will still be at least a few hours before we know all of the results of today’s mid-term elections in the United States, but interest in the proceedings is apparently so high that a long-standing (in Internet (Internet) time) Web traffic record has already been broken.

According to Akamai’s Net Usage Index for News (news), traffic to 100 top news sites (powered by Akamai’s content delivery network) has already peaked at a higher level than Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential election victory – 4.6 million to 4.2 million page views per minute, respectively.

Although still not the biggest web event of all-time based on Akamai’s numbers — several World Cup (World Cup) matches from this past summer caused higher spikes worldwide — it does appear to be a record for a non-sporting event, even surpassing the recent Chilean miner rescue.

Not surprisingly, there’s also tons of activity in the social media world surrounding today’s events. Hundreds of thousands of tweets expressing everything from civic participation to views on specific issues are streaming in, while more than 20,000 people have already unlocked the “I Voted” badge on Foursquare (Foursquare).

We imagine there could still be a higher peak later on in the day depending on how the news unfolds. Akamai says it will continue to track average streams by the hour on the entire Akamai network, average requests for content by the hour to the entire Akamai network and average page views per minute to news sites by the hour.

http://mashable.com/2010/11/02/2010-election-online-traffic/

Well, I think there is a huge general upward trend in web use. Smart phones are the norm now, they weren't in 2008.

It's quite easy to imagine Obama's victory topping this if every third person was checking the news on the phone on their way back from work.

After I posted an article about the situation of the USA out of the point of view of "Der Spiegel" (a weekly news magazine in Germany) before the elections I would like to post the link to a commentary about the result of the mid-term elections from the same magazine:

Spiegel - commentary: How Obama Can Win Back America

maybe some US-members are interested to read a commentary from "abroad"

The government changes up there is coherance between policy through the years. Each successive government builds on top of what previous governments have built, instead of tearing down and starting again and then tearing down and starting again. And politicians in the countries I've mentioned tend to have longer lives than those in the US.

you are right faster,

it is interesting to see how the government built on top of what the previous ones did - there is a kind of consistency...

I think there are two main reasons:

- parliamentary democracy instead of presidential democracy

- mixture of majority and representative electorial system, which results in coalition governments

Furthermore it is strange that e.g. The Greens agreed in the time of the SPD/The Greens coalition to military actions e.g. in Bosnia or Kosovo, which was never aspected before due their pacifistic general point of view, but the reality and the cooperation with the SPD forced them to agree...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was probably the worst kept secret in American politics. Today, from American news media, Sarah Palin will run in the 2012 presidential election. She was quoted that she can beat Obama and be the next president of the US.

Mrs. Palin did not confirm she was running, however she has been more forthcoming than most potential candidates by saying she is considering it.  

During an interview with Barbara Walters yesterday she said: 

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said in an interview scheduled to air in full Dec. 9 on ABC as part of Walters' "10 Most Fascinating People" of 2010.

Asked Walters: "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

Replied Palin: "I believe so."

This is the second time this week that the 2008 vice presidential nominee has shown that she is considering a run for the presidency.

• 1 year later...

From what I've read it sounds like only Romney could capture the "middle-ground" and defeat Obama. Everything I've read about this Santorum guy is scary ****.

Don't believe anything coming out of the mainstream media, they'll only prop up the establishment candidates.

The BBC is the mainstream media for me and they aren't propping up anyone, though it is one of their main news stories today. Stuff I'm reading is from blogs, forums and Twitter. Am unaware how the US Networks are portraying the candidates.

The BBC is the mainstream media for me and they aren't propping up anyone, though it is one of their main news stories today. Stuff I'm reading is from blogs, forums and Twitter. Am unaware how the US Networks are portraying the candidates.

The US media has been extremely biased against Ron Paul, and iv noticed it's rubbed off on the CBC perhaps because they just report what the US media's annalist report. It's possible the BBC is doing the same as the CBC.

They wrote for his newsletter and he did not repudiate them or clearly distance himself from them. Even if he doesn't share their views (and I'm not totally convinced he doesn't), it doesn't speak well of him that he doesn't know who he's hired or what they're putting in his newsletter. I'd expect a lot more from a commander-in-chief.

Even if you take the racial issue off the table, the guy is likeable in several ways, but has a tendency to speak in gross generalities and, truthfully, I don't think he has much of a plan.

I think you should study him more, his plan makes a lot of sence and would be great for world stability. And as for the racial issue, just look at this:

Paul's a Libertarian, its impossible for someone to be a Libertarian and a Racist.

I remember when Rich Santorum lost his senate seat in 2006, he has not held office since. At the concession his family was not prepared to loose. His small daughter was sobbing uncontrollably and some say his son flipped off the country. This is a pic from Wonkette a very funny DC blog that cover politics with a lot of satire.

Wonkette

santorumconcedes.jpgboohoohoo.jpg

There are so, so many things to love about this picture. Well, three things: Rick Santorum conceding, a little girl crying, and an awkward pre-teen flipping off the nation. We declare this the official screenshot of the 2006 midterm congressional elections.

Archived