2014 Shortlist

e1ena

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with pretty much everyone else here: Pyeonchang, Salzburg, Sofia & Sochi.

I think Salzburg ultimately won't get it though: too mark stain on the Austrian brand after the last bid's chaos and the doping scandals (proven or not). I predict it will finish 3rd or 4th when it comes to IOC votes.

I think Sofia's a bit of a wildcard. It has made the shortlist twice before, and with Bulgaria poised to join the EU might garner it a suprising amount of support. But infrastructure will ultimately put it towards the bottom of the list.

I think Sochi is the dark horse. The Russians could resource it enough to pull a games together, but it's so remote and unknown outside the Eastern zone. And will IOC members want to go there?

I still think it's Pyeonchang's to lose. Their bid will be excellent, they have pan-Korean support, and only Japan in Asia has hosted OWGs. Their only liabilities are being the frontrunner and their IOC member scandal.

So long as they exile him, it'll (rightly) be Pyeonchang 2014.

This is not a reason for making the shortlist, but Spain has been waiting for a long time, and although Jaca 2014 won't win the 2014 race (despite all aragonese people hoping that ;) ), Jaca 2014 needs to make the shortlist. Imagine 4 attemps (this is the 4th for Jaca) and only in one time Jaca passed to the final, in 1998. Would Jaca present a future bid if Jaca doesn't make the 2014 shortlist? I think NO. A 5th attemp with only one shortlist successful its very difficult to happen.

If Jaca doesn't make the shortlist we will have to wait a long long time to see a new Jaca's bid, a new bid from the Pyreenes, some people will be happy for this...

If Jaca doesn't make the shortlist we will have to wait a long long time to see a new Jaca's bid, a new bid from the Pyreenes, some people will be happy for this...

Baron, but he isn't a person... <_<

@ JACA2014: for the 2012 shortlist I know GB.com had an editorial article on the front page that went through each city and stated their chances for getting on the shostlist and why....I believe it was called the "2012 Shortlist Preview" and each city was bold and in a certain color depending on their chances of getting shortlisted....green (100%), amber (likely), and red (unlikely).....it is still there if you want to see it, it is always interesting to look back and see how different our projections are from what actually happens...although I do think the 2014 shortlist will be more cut and dry than the 2012 one, which was surprising in areas.....

as for 2014, I wonder if the GB Moderator will be doing the same (I hope he does)...perhaps you can ask him if you are wondering

@ JACA2014: for the 2012 shortlist I know GB.com had an editorial article on the front page that went through each city and stated their chances for getting on the shostlist and why....I believe it was called the "2012 Shortlist Preview" and each city was bold and in a certain color depending on their chances of getting shortlisted....green (100%), amber (likely), and red (unlikely).....it is still there if you want to see it, it is always interesting to look back and see how different our projections are from what actually happens...although I do think the 2014 shortlist will be more cut and dry than the 2012 one, which was surprising in areas.....

as for 2014, I wonder if the GB Moderator will be doing the same (I hope he does)...perhaps you can ask him if you are wondering

Gracias por la información!

There will be a pursuit of the 2014 Shortlist on 22nd of June here in GamesBids?

Uh, what do you mean by this? I know that there will be some press conference on this day to determine the shortlisted candidates, but I guess there will be news from IOC HQ about how the media will cover within a few days.

Uh, what do you mean by this? I know that there will be some press conference on this day to determine the shortlisted candidates, but I guess there will be news from IOC HQ about how the media will cover within a few days.

What I wanted to say was if GamesBids will follow the event here in the forums or in the main website, with news, rewiews...

I only post as mikel when I can't find my medication.

Yeah, and you post as POV thanks to your 'medication'

I know this was brought up in this thread a few weeks ago...but is GB going to do anything to profile the likely hood for the various 2014 applicants to be shortlisted, as they did for 2012 with that special editorial which had cities either as "red", "amber", or "green"? If anyone of the Mod could answer this I would appreciate it...otherwise I guess we will find out in a week

Olympics-2014 Winter Games bidders await their fate

Reuters

NUREMBERG, Germany - Seven cites will discover this week whether their planning and lobbying has paid off when the International Olympic Committee draws up its shortlist of candidate cities for the 2014 Winter Games.

The IOC will announce its choice during an executive board meeting on Thursday at its headquarters in Switzerland.

Bulgarian capital Sofia, Salzburg in Austria, South Korea's Pyeongchang, Russia's Black Sea resort of Sochi, Jaca in Spain, Almaty in Kazakhstan and Georgia's Borjomi are all vying to host the Games in eight years' time.

The 2010 Games will be held in Vancouver, Canada.

The IOC's 15 Executive Board members, including their President Jacques Rogge, will review a report and recommendations made by their working group which has examined all the bids for months.

"There is no specific limit to how many cities will make the cut," an IOC official said told Reuters this week. "No maximum or minimum number has been set."

The 2014 host city will be chosen next year.

The official announcement by Rogge at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, in front of the cities' delegations, is scheduled for 1300 local time (7 a.m. EDT).

Salzburg was considered a frontrunner because of its infrastructure and the country's long tradition in winter sports.

But a doping scandal at this year's Turin Games involving athletes and coaches of Austria's cross-country and biathlon teams and a bitter dispute between the National Olympic Committee and the federation over who was to blame could well have hurt its chances.

IOC SUSPENSIONS

Pyeongchang had also climbed up the favorites' ladder as Asia's strongest bid but the dismissal of two of the country's IOC members after corruption and embezzlement convictions could affect the decision.

Sochi enjoys the backing of Russian president Vladimir Putin, who spends holidays in the Black sea resort, and has approved a multi-billion dollar investment plan regardless of the bid.

But both necessary road construction and security concerns because of its proximity to the restless region of Chechnya and the Caucasus could be a drawback.

Sofia bidders last week sounded confident and said even if they did not make the cut they would bid again for 2018, showing a long-term Olympic commitment which the IOC always likes to see.

Madrid's praised but failed bid for the 2012 summer Games which were awarded to London, could have a positive knock-on effect on Jaca.

But the decision to split competition between Jaca and the city of Zaragoza some 142 km away is not expected to win many bonus points. Borjomi faces a similar problem, planning to hold the indoor sports in the capital Tbilisi more than 170 km away.

Kazakhstan's Almaty has pledged more than 300 million euros ($379.9 million) for venue construction alone, none of it temporary.

But the volume of construction needed for the Games could raise concerns over the timetable especially after the long and worrying delays in preparations for the 2004 Athens Games.

This is the Aragon TV live stream, they will bradcast the IOC press-briefing onn JUne 22 at 13.00 Lausanne time live, on which the IOC will announce the shortlist:

http://www.aragontelevision.es/index.php/m...1311a2455d.html

Does someone know if there is some other Western Europe TV channel that will broadcast live the press conference, on June, 22nd?

Thanks.

Does someone know if there is some other Western Europe TV channel that will broadcast live the press conference, on June, 22nd?

Thanks.

The only country I think may be interested in broadcasting the show is Austria. But since there are no other western Europe countries in the race for 2014 I don't think there will be a live coverage. In Bulgaria though BNT will air the press briefing live

IOC set to pick finalists for 2014 Winter Games

Associated Press

LAUSANNE, Switzerland - A year before the final vote, the race for the 2014 Winter Olympics is about to get serious.

The IOC executive board is meeting this week to trim the seven-city field to a list of finalists, probably three or four.

Expected to make the cut Thursday are Salzburg, Austria, and Pyeongchang, South Korea, with Russia's Black Sea resort of Sochi also a likely choice.

If the International Olympic Committee goes for a fourth candidate, Almaty, Kazakhstan, or Jaca, Spain, could get the nod. Also in the running are Sofia, Bulgaria, and Borjomi, Georgia.

While Thursday's decision will be made by the Olympics' 15-member ruling body, the full 100-plus IOC assembly will select the host city at its session in Guatemala City from July 4-7, 2007.

Also up for discussion at the three-day board meeting starting Wednesday is a request to move the swimming finals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics from the evening to morning hours to accommodate prime-time NBC coverage in the United States.

The proposal, which has prompted an outcry from swimmers, coaches and broadcasters in Australia, is likely to be put off for a final decision until later in the year.

The board will also discuss Lance Armstrong's dispute with World Anti-Doping Agency chief Dick Pound and consider reinstating French member Guy Drut, who was suspended from the committee in a corruption case.

A panel of IOC experts has compiled a report analyzing the 2014 bid cities' plans. Technical issues and infrastructure will weigh heavily in the cut.

"In the winter, it's even more important than the summer," IOC vice president Thomas Bach said. "While you can move venues for a Summer Games, you can't move a mountain."

Two of the candidates have a head start: Salzburg and Pyeongchang were finalists in the vote for the 2010 Olympics, which were awarded to Vancouver, British Columbia. The little-known Korean bid finished a surprising second, with the Austrian city third.

Salzburg, which represents the traditional European Alpine winter setting, has come forward with a leaner, more compact bid. It announced Wednesday that it had completed its venue lineup, with the choice of a 12,000-seat ice hockey arena in Puch-Urstein.

Pyeongchang is hoping to build on its momentum from the first bid to establish itself as an Asian winter sports capital.

The wild card in the race appears to be Sochi, trying to bring the Winter Games to Russia for the first time. The Russian government has thrown its full weight behind the bid, including a $12 billion investment package, in sharp contrast to the lukewarm support it offered Moscow's failed attempt for the 2012 Summer Games.

Jaca, nestled in the Pyrenees, is bidding for a fourth time and has combined its efforts with Zaragoza. Almaty, which made a preliminary run for the 2002 Games, is back with a bid led by former cross-country ski champion Vladimir Smirnov.

Choosing the Kazakhstan city as a fourth finalist would allow the IOC to go for geographical balance, with two bids from Europe (Salzburg, Sochi) and two from Asia (Pyeongchang, Almaty).

IOC set to pick finalists for 2014 Winter Games

Jaca, nestled in the Pyrenees, is bidding for a fourth time and has combined its efforts with Zaragoza. Almaty, which made a preliminary run for the 2002 Games, is back with a bid led by former cross-country ski champion Vladimir Smirnov.

Choosing the Kazakhstan city as a fourth finalist would allow the IOC to go for geographical balance, with two bids from Europe (Salzburg, Sochi) and two from Asia (Pyeongchang, Almaty).

I don't think that the IOC will chose the candidates cities for geographical reasons but for its evaluation reports and support.

I wonder if they'll have a set of 5 candidates or a shorter list. Usually the short list for the Winter games seem to have a smaller group of cities compared to the Summer games.

Right now I see it being:

Salzburg

Pyeongchang

Sochi

Jaca

If they want to fill out the group, add Sofia.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if its just Salzburg, Pyeongchang and Sochi.

Archived