2014 Shortlist

e1ena

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK the big day is almost here...Here is my prediction.

Four cities will make the list

1 - Salzburg - the ultimate winner, this bid was shamelessly insulted with only 16 votes in 2010. It is the Paris and the London of 2014.

2 - Sochi - the real wild card in this race, this bid could pull it off. Bolstered by Moscow 2012, this bid is the Madrid of 2014 - the little engine that could, but won't.

3 - Sofia - started off strong, lost steam, but Sofia is one of the larger cities in this race and as such will have better use of the investment. Probably a long shot now, Sofia is the Moscow of 2014.

4 - Almaty - it will make the list to encourage the Kazahks with the hopes of developing winter sport in central Asia. This bid will play a role similar to Istanbul 2008.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the list in Thursday.

I also think that four cities will make the list:

1) Salzburg - It will probably win, another Games in the Alps...

2) Sochi - The most susprising bid, it has also options to win, I prefer Sochi than Salzburg.

3) PyeongChang - Makes the shortlist since it made it in 2010, but i don't see PC winning the 2014 race.

4) Jaca - The experience is something valued by the IOC, the project has changed and the Pyrennes are something different, but it won't win.

I was born in Russia, in 1980, in a year of the Moscow Olympiad, but in city Sochi...)))))))))))))))))))) Unless I was born in vain?)))))))))))))))))))))))

My final guess:

1.Salzburg

2.Pyeongchang

3.Sochi

4.Sofia

Okay, time to gaze into the crystal ball.

1. Salzurg _ a cert and the one th beat at the moment

2. Sochi _ a good mixture of new frontiers and a solid host

3. PyeongChang _ the IOC can't afford to piss off the moneyed Koreans, but I expect they'll still have to wait a few more Olympiads before they actually win

Now this is where it gets tricky. A five city list with Sofia and Jaca, or four cities and which one to leave out? I tend to go for Sofia over the Spanish entrant.

Sure Almaty should be encouraged, but as the IOC showed in the 2012 short list, it is trying to go beyond making such gestures for ultimately obvious also-rans. Bojormi _ it's not your time to shine.

13.00 Lausanne Time

Since I got the BBC at home, I am sure that it will be have some sort of "breaking news" about it. Of course, today being in the middle of the World Cup, it could end up being sideswiped by the forementioned event.

Why 3 cities isn't a option:

- if one of those 3 withdraws, there are 2 cities and the IOC can't vote and they have to do the whole process again

- every Candidate gives 500 000$ to the IOC, that's a lot and the IOC wouldn't refuse to take them

What's more, with only 3 candidated cities, they IOC only lets one "new" city (Sochi in this case) access to the final since the other two cities are known to make the shortlist, Salzburg and PC.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a five city list

It has to be disappointing for Sofia and Jaca not to be in the shortlist. These cities got to be official Olympic candidate cities in the past, but this time.

What's more, with only 3 candidated cities, they IOC only lets one "new" city (Sochi in this case) access to the final since the other two cities are known to make the shortlist, Salzburg and PC.

Quit crying over spilt mike , they did in 2010 and they are doing it again ...

@ ghost- why if one of the three were to drop out, couldn't the IOC have a vote with two cities?...they've done it before....

as for the official shortlist, I am not at all surprised by PC and Salzberg, and was expecting (and pulling for Socchi) to make it....

the only thing that is a bit "surprising" (although not shocking really) to me is that they did not include a fourth city as many anticipated, and that Almaty would have been that city if they ahd chosent o go with four....

I am also surprised by the problems that plagued Sofia....it seemed to go down pretty quickly...oh well

I am pulling for Socchi now, and really hope that they win :D , which would be 2010 all over again for PC and Salzberg

Archived