2014 Shortlist

e1ena

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Boy, I think it is about only 3 months from now, before we all know which of the 7 here becomes candidate cities. Time sure flies.

Boy, I think it is about only 3 months from now, before we all know which of the 7 here becomes candidate cities. Time sure flies.

Actually the shortlist will be announced on 23.06, so 3 months and a day! :wink:

Actually the shortlist will be announced on 23.06, so 3 months and a day! :wink:

I think it's a given that Salzburg and Pyeongchang will be shortlisted as Jacques Rogge has already told us that he expects both of them to be finalists! So:

Shortlisted:

Pyeongchang (definite)

Salzburg (definite)

Sochi (probable)

Sofia or Jaca (possible)

Eliminated:

1.Almaty

2.Borjomi

• 3 weeks later...

I know I commented on this a long time ago when I started the thread, but after seeing a few things over the past few months since my initial prediction, I now think:

PC (Definite)

Salzburg (Definite)....these two are "definitie" because of comments by Rogge which blatantly said this...

Socchi (probable)..after having Moscow 2012, it would be courteous of the IOC to include Socchi...plus I really think it is a very interesting and feasible bid that deserves/should be shortlisted, and probably will be

Sofia or Jaca- I think the IOC will top the list for the WOG at four (as they did for 2010) and I think the fourth will definately be one of these two cities...it is hard to say which one, for both are repeat bidders and have their share of ups and downs....it will be interesting to see this....if it is five cities (which I doubt) I think these two cities will be included...if I DID have to chose I would say Sofia is the stornger of the two (this is only a hunch)

Almaty (not shortlisted)-I don't know if it is just me, but this bid (like Socchi) just makes me say "wow that would be neat" I guess it is the whole new fronteir idea...I was surprised and happy to see them bid, and don't get me wrong I would be very happy and much more interested in 2014 if they are shortlisted, but I don't think the IOC is going to go for it...maybe 2018?

Borjomi (not shirtlisted)-I haven't really looked at this bid as closely as the others yet, but I just don't think the IOC will give it consideration really, and almost definately do not see it shortlisted...

so there it is....four cities

-PC, Salzburg, Socchi, Sofia (those three S's may confuse votes lol)

five cities- add Jaca

It will be awesome to things play out in June...I can ahrdly wait to see :) Good luck to all cities!

I think Almaty (www.almaty.kz, www.2014almaty.com) has real chances. Their nice logo and site, photoes of the city, budget, articles from different sites (e.g. www.tripadvisor.com) - it seems to be very interesting and safety place. And they have a big repetition in 2011 (Asian Winter Games). Look at the map, location of Kazkhstan is safe! I've never heared about any fightings, terrorists or aliens attacks, moon or sun falls there. There are lots of favorable reviews about this country and this city. So, my choice - Almaty.

I think Almaty (www.almaty.kz, www.2014almaty.com) has real chances. Their nice logo and site, photoes of the city, budget, articles from different sites (e.g. www.tripadvisor.com) - it seems to be very interesting and safety place. And they have a big repetition in 2011 (Asian Winter Games). Look at the map, location of Kazkhstan is safe! I've never heared about any fightings, terrorists or aliens attacks, moon or sun falls there. There are lots of favorable reviews about this country and this city. So, my choice - Almaty.

lets hope the IOC sees this too it would be great if they made the shortlist

I don't tink Almaty is going to make the short list, mainly becos of Kazhakstan lack of international profile. I am shure Almaty would make great games, but against 3 city that are shure to host the Olympics one day or another (Pyonchang, Sochi and Salzbourg), and against evenly-match Jaca and Sofia, I tink Almaty chances at the short list is close to none.

Whether the truth, what at PC there were some problems with financing? With construction of a line for bobsley and with participation of company Samsung as sponsor?

Trouble is there are too many candidates from the ex-Soviet bloc.  They may cancel each other out early.

I can't see any trouble here: USSR doesn't exist for 15 years, and Russian Fed.,Geogia and Kazakhstan are politically and economically very different. Taking into acount that Russia and Kazakhstan are very huge countries geografically there are not much in common between them (rather than between Sofia and Saltzburg).

• 3 weeks later...
So when is the short-list being announced?  Or are they going to make the Evaluation trip first to all 7 cities before cutting it down?

The short-list is going to be announced June 22 2006

There are no official evaluation visits by the IOC evaluation commission during Phase I, though there were reports of secret visits by experts, maybe commissioned by the evaluation commission

Archived