2014 Shortlist

e1ena

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amorincognito, Krasnaya Plyana is actually within Sochi. It is district of City of Sochi, along with Adlerskiy, District of Sochi and other districts. Afaik Olympic games planned for Adlerskiy and Krasnaya Polyana districts.

amorincognito, Krasnaya Plyana is actually within Sochi. It is district of City of Sochi, along with Adlerskiy, District of Sochi and other districts. Afaik Olympic games planned for Adlerskiy and Krasnaya Polyana districts.

I thought I heard that from someone at some point.  I guess the stadium is to be used because it exists, and at least it's only 25 km away from the main action, which is much less to say for a couple of other bid cities *cough cough*.  For me, that's the only strange point of the distances concerning the Sochi bid; everything else is pretty good.

The short list ist:

PYONGCHANG

SALZBURG

SOCHI

AND............FINALLY.........JACA 2014¡¡¡  :;):

I HOPE THE WINNER IN GUATEMALA ARE THE PYRENEES AND JACA BID¡¡¡

GOOD LUCK JACA¡¡¡

Why do I have the feeling that I know you from somewhere?

Anyway, you are either Rogge or a fortune-teller, saying the "shortlist IS"

:)

The shortlist.

Salzburg

PyeongChang

Sochi

Sofia

Dropped - Jaca, Almaty, Borjomi.

I think the distances together with the lack of success/heritage of Spanish winter sports will have a detrimental influence upon Jaca, unfortunately for them.  I think it will be between Saltzburg and PyeongChang with a possible surprise by Sochi.

:kungfu:

I think the distances together with the lack of success/heritage of Spanish winter sports will have a detrimental influence upon Jaca, unfortunately for them

About the traditions of each bidding country - I'll make a medal table of the 2014 countries for the Torino Games and one overall, so we can see what traditions do they have

And yes, Spain has won no medal in Torino so far

I think the distances together with the lack of success/heritage of Spanish winter sports will have a detrimental influence upon Jaca, unfortunately for them

About the traditions of each bidding country - I'll make a medal table of the 2014 countries for the Torino Games and one overall, so we can see what traditions do they have

Spain (Sierra Nevada 96) has organized the World Ski Championships.

Spain (Jaca 95) has organized the Winter Universiade.

Spain (Barcelona 92) has organized the best Olympics Games at the moment in olympic history.

And........Bulgaria?????  ???

Spain (Sierra Nevada 96) has organized the World Ski Championships.

Spain (Jaca 95) has organized the Winter Universiade.

Spain (Barcelona 92) has organized the best Olympics Games at the moment in olympic history.

And........Bulgaria?????  ???

I was only talking about Torino 2006

And don't make me start on that Spain-Bulgaria comparison, because Sofia has hosted Universiades 4 times, 2 of them are winter and if I need to list all other events like World Cups/championships and so on I'll need two pages at least

Again, I have nothing against Spain/Jaca, just saying that Spain hasn't the winter sport traditions Russia, Austria, Korea, Bulgaria have

The shortlist.

Salzburg

PyeongChang

Sochi

Sofia

Agree, Stu.  That's pretty much going to be it.

Valencia - welcome.  But maybe you should chat or get to know your countryman here, mikel.  Hopefully, he'll give you a rundown of all this 'Espana', 'Espana' thing.  It puts us thru a lot.

For the Winter Games -- it's a winter sports tradition and the setting that matter; not Summer Olympic organizing experience or whatever.  Bulgaria is putting forth its capital city -- not some backwater resort, just to get their name on the board.

The shortlist.

Salzburg

PyeongChang

Sochi

Sofia

Valencia - welcome.  But maybe you should chat or get to know your countryman here, mikel.  Hopefully, he'll give you a rundown of all this 'Espana', 'Espana' thing.  It puts us thru a lot.

For the Winter Games -- it's a winter sports tradition and the setting that matter; not Summer Olympic organizing experience or whatever.  Bulgaria is putting forth its capital city -- not some backwater resort, just to get their name on the board.

Ok.  :)

But....we' d like Universal Olympics Games???  yes or no???

then.................Jaca 2014 is possible, why not?

Why not possible too in Sofia???  :)

Olympics Games=Universal Games    :)

The shortlist.

Salzburg

PyeongChang

Sochi

Sofia

Yes, peace, Olympics for all, Olympics for Borjomi too

The shortlist.

Salzburg

PyeongChang

Sochi

Sofia

Yes, peace, Olympics for all, Olympics for Borjomi too

VIVA BORJOMI 2014¡¡¡¡        :)  :)

OK, I've read all the mini bid books, factored in the usual IOC pattern and thrown in a wild card.

If it is a 4 city final, I say -

Almaty

Pyeongchang

Salzburg

Sochi

If it is a three city final - remove Almaty.

Why does Almaty rate above Borjomi (duh!), Jaca (its the logo's fault!) and Sofia?  Simple - look at their plan!  Look at it!  It is brilliant!  The locations, the distances, the proposed transport plan!  The only downside is the obscurity of Kazakhstan and the lack of accomodation.  Funding seems to be no issue, Almaty is in the middle of a building boom and urban renaissance and the Games appear to have a good solid base.

Jaca may as well be Zaragoza 2014 (plus a possible Madrid bid will show how much backing the bid really has in Spain), Borjomi needs to start showing the IOC they are serious by starting building ANYTHING now, and I just don't see Sofia being that strong a contender when they are faced with the strong push of a Russian bid.  It's an OK bid - but I don't see where they will get the votes from, and the IOC may give Almaty a nod as they are the most likely to benefit from the immediate infrastructure works.

So thats my two cents worth.  I cant say much more as there is no further info either way to alter the results I have determined from reading the official submissions.

I really like the looks of Almaty's bid and while they have no chance in winning, I think the IOC will put them through to the shortlist.... this can be their test run. And hopefully set them them up as a definate host of the future.... I personally think Sochi will get it.... I think PyeongChang is overhyped personally....

Archived