cost explosion

ghost1

I absolutely agree. Olympic Games without opening ceremony would bring a big loss in broadcasting. Regarding Wordl cup 2006: They try to find another area for the opening ceremony: maybe the Brandburg Tor or the Olympic stadium in Munich where are no matches. It´s maybe possible to do so to bring some culture into world cup 2006. Nevertheless it is a big disgrace for FIFA.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are the numbers for the whole thing (incl. infrastructure etc.) not only for the bid. Bid only costs should be max. 15 million $.

Yes, the candidature budgets are much less - for Sofia it's 7,5$ million

the organisation of World Cup 2006 wants to set up an alternative opening ceremony near Brandenburg Tor. FIFA sponsor this with about 1 million Euro. Munich also wants to organize the opening ceremony as Munich is also a candidate for Winter Games 2018, like Grenoble.

WorldCUp 2006 in Germany is insured by FIFA and OC with a total of 378 million Euro. FIFA suggest earnings of 2 billion Euro and OC an amount of about 430 million Euro. These are gigantic amounts.

By the way: fligths within an area of 50 km are forbidden.

These are the earnings of one of the big sport organisations. The earnings of IOC and UEFA won´t be much smaller.

a gigantic amount for such a real unknown city. But they have Shamill Tarpishev and other tycoons with money in their organisation. But I don´t think they will have a realistic chance, as normally 2014 is for Asia.

As I said in the other thread this big budget is because they don't have any venues at all and have to build all of them from scratch

a gigantic amount for such a real unknown city. But they have Shamill Tarpishev and other tycoons with money in their organisation. But I don´t think they will have a realistic chance, as normally 2014 is for Asia.

As I said in the other thread this big budget is because they don't have any venues at all and have to build all of them from scratch

Right,

As i also said here in an other forum, we should find which amount is specific for the Olympic Games and which amounts would have been spent without the Games in the next 15 years (roads, airport, ...).

And we should remember that Olympic budget are spent during a perdiod of time of 7 years.

Nevertheless the big orgamosations like IOC, FIFA and UEFA need reforms not only in personal also in the way the big events are organized. The costs have to be reduced in the interest of all participants.

I don't think that will ever happen, spending more adn more is in the nature of such organizations

The cancellation of the opening ceremony will surely save a lot of money. A ticket for this event would have cost about 750 Euro. This is very much money for a sport event. I think this is not necessary and in the world there is much more need for this money then for a useless opening ceremony.

The cancellation of the opening ceremony will surely save a lot of money. A ticket for this event would have cost about 750 Euro. This is very much money for a sport event. I think this is not necessary and in the world there is much more need for this money then for a useless opening ceremony.

I totally agree on that but I don't think anybody can inagine the Olympics without the opening ceremonies, at least now. However, the ceremonies could be smaller and the tickets cheaper. I mean, it's wonderful to see ceremonies like Athens one, but they just cost too much. And as you say - this money could have a better use

But - as of now - the ceremonies are and will stay one of the most memorable moments of the Games

Agreed. To give more people a chance to see the most memorable events of the Games the tickets have to be much cheaper. The sponsors should cover more of the costs for these ceremonies so there would be no need to cover the costs by the tickets.

Again - I liked the Athens opening, I liked it very much, but do we really need this? And moreover - all the medal ceremonies with the concerts after them? I really think that some elements that are more distant from just sports could be deleted from the Games. The todays Games cost like 1/5 of the GDP of a average european country! And this happens every 4 years!

Nevertheless there have to be reforms in the organisation of IOC etc. to reduce the costs for hosting OG´s. It can´t be that there is only a few how have a big gain (IOC, sponsors) and the rest have the big loss and go into bankruptcy (host cities).

C'mon, though. When put up against the other costs of putting a games together _ building venues, infrastructure etc etc, the actual cost of the ceremonies is a drop in the bucket. In fact, you could argue that the ceremonies not only pay their way, but do more than anything else for the host to recoup the cost of the games in total.

It's very simple. The OCs are the most heavily watched part of a games worldwide and are a large part of the reason broadcasters like NBC are willing to pay such huge amounts to get exclusive TV rights for them. No ceremonies, less viewers, and the TV broadcasters would not be prepared to pay so much for the rights to show them. Cut out the OCs, and you'll probably find that the savings made are FAR, FAR less than the amount the broadcasters would want to trim from their broadcast rights bids. IE, they'll lose more than they save.

Really, hosts just can't afford to cut back the ceremonies.

C'mon, though. When put up against the other costs of putting a games together _ building venues, infrastructure etc etc, the actual cost of the ceremonies is a drop in the bucket. In fact, you could argue that the ceremonies not only pay their way, but do more than anything else for the host to recoup the cost of the games in total.

It's very simple. The OCs are the most heavily watched part of a games worldwide and are a large part of the reason broadcasters like NBC are willing to pay such huge amounts to get exclusive TV rights for them. No ceremonies, less viewers, and the TV broadcasters would not be prepared to pay so much for the rights to show them. Cut out the OCs, and you'll probably find that the savings made are FAR, FAR less than the amount the broadcasters would want to trim from their broadcast rights bids. IE, they'll lose more than they save.

Well, nobody talks (at least I) about cutting back ceremonies - just make them smaller in size, not that megalomaniac as they are now. But first, lets see the Torino 2006 opening

I agree to ghost. Maybe it would be a good idea to reduce the program of the Games and do not force new sports like golf in the snow etc.

Well, firstly, I don't think there is any SERIOUS thought goping on about including snow golf in the games _ if regular can't make it to the summer games, this novelty version sure won't make it to the winters.

Secondly, the IOC has already moved to cutn down the sports program for the Summer gamnes.ot only has it capped the number of sports at the SOGs, it has actually DROPPED two for 2012. The winter games they still see they have a bit of room to move _ and anyway, there's not as many winter sports trying to knock at the IOCs door to get in as there are

summer sports.

Well, nobody talks (at least I) about cutting back ceremonies - just make them smaller in size, not that megalomaniac as they are now. But first, lets see the Torino 2006 opening

As long as the ceremonies bring in huge audiences, the host countries are keen to show-off  and the broadcasters are willing to pay huge ammounts of dollars to show them, the ceremonies will stay big.

Actually, when it comes to Athens, the wierd thing is I do think that compared to the rest, it was an understated ceremony. I liked it, though I just couldn't understand why it was so expensive. It seemed to me that most of the budget was blown on one special effect _ the lake _ that in the end was underutilised. It also seemed to me that the Athens OC was the first to be designed solely for the TV viewers rather than the stadium crowd _ the tableau of Greek history, for example, was one of the favourite segements on TV, for example, but in comments from people who were at the stadium it seems it was pretty unimpressive in real life.

Actually, when it comes to Athens, the wierd thing is I do think that compared to the rest, it was an understated ceremony. I liked it, though I just couldn't understand why it was so expensive. It seemed to me that most of the budget was blown on one special effect _ the lake _ that in the end was underutilised. It also seemed to me that the Athens OC was the first to be designed solely for the TV viewers rather than the stadium crowd _ the tableau of Greek history, for example, was one of the favourite segements on TV, for example, but in comments from people who were at the stadium it seems it was pretty unimpressive in real life.

This is what I'm atlking about - nobody needs ceremonies like that

But we have to see the Torino one soon

The number of sports events in Winter is not the problem, the number of the Summer events has to be reduced.

I agree that ceremonies are necessary because of the tv rights etc but they should be reduced in the expenses. If they are modified for TV like in Athens they can work like moviemakers do, it looks bombastic but nothing behind it.

Archived