CWG unlikely to be awarded to smaller or developing nations in the near future

Dan_Winters

CWG unlikely to be awarded to smaller or developing nations in the near future

Why?

1) Ridiculous bid requirements:

The CGF (commonwealth games federation) has a ridiculous set of demands it requires of the host city. They want athletics stadium to host at least 40,000 seats, the aquatics centre to hold at least 5,000 seats, the list goes on. This is simply not economically viable for a lot of developing countries in the commonwealth and even smaller cites in developed countries (eg. Halifax in Canada withdrew from the 2014 race because the budget spiralled from $785 million to $1.3 billion – mainly due to the demands for big venues). Host cities of the olympic games get lots of money in sponsorship and TV deals (eg. NBC alone pays $1 billion US dollars for TV rights, then there are other broadcasters around the world and sponsorship) – such big money deals do NOT exist for the commonwealth games.

The bid requirements need to be scaled right down to make it easier for smaller or developed nations to host them eg. 20,000 seater athletics stadium, 2000 seater aquatics centre. Until then it is simply too expensive to host these games for many countries. Even New Zealand has been PRICED OUT of hosting the CWG. Auckland did a feasibility study for 2018 and predicted that hosting the event would result in a $500-600 million LOSS. So if NZ can’t afford to host the CWG, I really doubt if somewhere like Tanzania or Cyprus or Bangladesh could host these games. Halifax was PRICED OUT for 2014.

2) Delhi 2010:

The numerous problems in the lead up to Delhi 2010, means that the CGF in future will be very nervous about going to another new frontier (eg. Abuja, Nigeria). The problems that Delhi encountered, ranging from venues being unfinished, dirty athletes village, bridges collapsing and a dengue fever outbreak means that the CGF will go for the “safer” option of places like the Gold Coast ahead of Hambantota. The Hambantota plan is a great idea – I wish them all the success in the world in their efforts to rebuild an area devastated by the tsunami, but they simply won’t win. The Gold Coast have got in pretty much in the bag – just like Glasgow beat Abuja, Nigeria to host 2014, despite Scotland having hosted twice before in 1970 and 86, and the UK having hosted recently with Manchester 2002.

3) Lack of interest in bidding

For a country to be awarded the CWG, it needs to place a bid (you don't say!)However – No-one really wants to bid for/ host the CWG!There are only 2 bids for 2018 – GC and Hambantota, with the Gold Coast poised to win this race.Australia will be hosting again after only 12 years (since Melbourne 06). For 2018, there were NO bids from Canada (last hosted in 94), South Africa (never hosted, and is going to bid for the 2020 olympics instead), New Zealand (last hosted in 1990), Singapore (never hosted, instead went for the 2010 Youth Olympics), Nigeria (bid for 2014, got their fingers burned and thought: “why bother?”). There were no bids from Kenya, Trinidad and Tobago etc.

The CWG and in danger of alternating between the UK and Australia (NZ has been prioced out of hosting the CWG)I can see the following hosting pattern: Gold Coast 2018, Cardiff 2022, Adelaide 2026, Sheffield 2030, Canberra 2034, Edinburgh 2038, Hobart 2042, Birmingham 2046.

That would make the games totally unviable, and probably unfair. I think South Africa would be a good host because they proved they could do it with the World Cup, and the Commonwealth Games would get some good exposure for being the first major multi-sport event to be hosted by an African city. If that hosting pattern happened.... No one is going to spend a dime on these games. If they put some sort of youth soccer(U-21 or U-18) it would become more profitable, and more would want to bid.

2022- Durban. Safe option for them, popularity for rugby and cricket(some at least). Also expands to Africa, a little more publicity. Plus no way UK 8 years after Glasgow, who was 12 years after Manchester.

2026- Adelaide/Auckland/ Most likely Adelaide, but Auckland may price back in.

2030- Cardiff.

2034- Canberra. I can at least see that.

2038- Canada. Maybe Hamilton or Quebec City.

2042- Birmingham.

2046- Port of SPain(Triniadad and Tobago)

There has always been very little bidding cities for the Commonwealth Games, if people did some research before they posted things on here then they would know this. A Commonwealth Games is a good stepping stone to preparing and gaining experience for an Olympic bid, Manchester 2002 would have helped London's Olympic Bid, if South Africa don't get 2020 say if the IOC want more hosting experience then they might bid for 2022 to give them that edge. Delhi has used the games as a catalyst for a potential Olympic Bid.

Plus at the end of the day, its all about the athletes and the sports

Saying that NZ will not host again because of money, is stupid. The Com Games are ideal for a country this size, and after Rugby World Cup 2011 im sure many people will want to host another event

And ll this talk about the Commonwealth not being viable in these times is also rubbish. It is kind of like a EU, in that countries trade with each other and have special agreements, countries working together is never a bad thing

There has always been very little bidding cities for the Commonwealth Games, if people did some research before they posted things on here then they would know this. A Commonwealth Games is a good stepping stone to preparing and gaining experience for an Olympic bid, Manchester 2002 would have helped London's Olympic Bid, if South Africa don't get 2020 say if the IOC want more hosting experience then they might bid for 2022 to give them that edge. Delhi has used the games as a catalyst for a potential Olympic Bid.

Plus at the end of the day, its all about the athletes and the sports

Saying that NZ will not host again because of money, is stupid. The Com Games are ideal for a country this size, and after Rugby World Cup 2011 im sure many people will want to host another event

And ll this talk about the Commonwealth not being viable in these times is also rubbish. It is kind of like a EU, in that countries trade with each other and have special agreements, countries working together is never a bad thing

Scotguy I respect your enthusiasm for the CGs but have to say I disagree with you. First off there is little basis for a causal link between the Commonwealth Games and Olympic bid. Look at the history:

London 2012 was preceded by the Manchester 2002 CGs, which was in turn preceded by two failed bids for Manchester for the SOGs and a failed bid from Birmingham (1992, 1996 and 2000 respectively). If anything the Manchester 2002 CGs were a sop for those vested interests who had seen Manchester fail twice, and with the significant amount of resources thrown at the failed Olympic bids some justification had to be found for the investment in sporting facilities etc. The 2002 CGs weren't so much a stepping stone to London but vindication of Manchester being able to host a major international sports festival.

Melbourne 2006: Sydney had shown how capable an Australian city was of hosting the biggest sporting event in the world and Melbourne was effectively last man standing when Singapore & Wellington both pulled out (more on the Kiwis later). Plus Melbourne's last chance at hosting an Olympics went up in smoke in 1989. Again, where is the link between a SOG bid and the CGs?

Edinburgh 1986: Considering many would considering these games were the nadir of the CGs (thanks in no small part to the African boycott) their hosting did nothing for future UK bids. Neither Birmingham nor Manchester could draw on the Scottish experience of hosting these games for future SOG bids.

Edmonton 1978 and Victoria 1994: The Canadians have focused their recent SOG bids on Toronto and in both instances (1996 and 2008) there was either a huge gap between the CGs versus the SOG bid or the CGs were held after Toronto had lost the SOG bid race.

In fact if you want to get truly restrictive there are only two cities that can give any evidential support to a CGs have a direct preceding influence on establishing the credentials of a city in hosting a multinational multi-event sports festival. They are London and Sydney. Of course London's CGs were 14 years before the 1948 Games, and Sydney held their CGs 62 years before the 2000 SOGs, and again I'd be very very sceptical of there being some draw down on CG experience for an Olympic bid in these circumstances.

The only direct relationship between a CGs being a stepping stone for an Olympic bid was KL's 1998/2008 experience. And considering that KL failed to get past the technical assessment for 2008 it's clear as day that the CGs won't necessarily give you a head start in an Olympic bid.

What is truly evident is that the CGs are in fact a means to their own end and not part of some grand scheme by a countries sporting and political authorities to develop a pattern of bidding which will help a city win the SOGs. All the talk about Delhi trying to do so is surely a parlaying of misguided or even corrupt ideologues to boost their own reputation when their efforts at hosting a CGs was farcical at best.

Now as for the Kiwi issue: I think it's perfectly reasonable for any future bid from NZ to be doubtful because of money. There have already been two aborted bids from NZ in recent memory (Wellington and Auckland) and I am sure if you compare the enthusiasm (public, commercial and political) for the RWC versus a CGs New Zealanders would be far more keen on the All Blacks than anything to do with hosting a CGs. And considering that the NZ experience at recent Commonwealth Games has been less than stellar in terms of sporting success it's hard to argue that the CGs are perfect for a country of NZ's size. Until they shrink in expense and become more aligned with sports NZ are stronger in (which they have gone some way in doing with rugby 7s, hockey and netball) then the CGs are a misfit for NZ.

Also, if there is a link between the CGs and an SOG bid then why would any NZ city try for the CGs unless they believed that they could host an SOGs? No one except rabid Kiwis could take an Auckland bid for the SOGs serious; it's a non sequitor.

Finally it is perfectly legitimate to ask questions about the future of the CGs and wonder if they can continue. Yes, there has never been a clamour of potential hosting cities lodging bids and that in itself is cause for concern for the longevity of the games. What if Melbourne had not been willing to hold up its hand after Wellington and Singapore withdrew? Would the CGF be in a position of comfort if Abuja had knocked over Glasgow, considering the near miss with failure in Delhi? Can the CGF risk going to a backwater port the size of a small town riddled with mafiosa style local political clans for 2018, or returning to yet another Australian host city. Where is the enthusiasm from South Africa to host a CGs before trying for a SOGs? Where's Singapore? Where's the next Canadian bid? Can Harare, Port of Spain, Nicosia, Georgetown, Port Moresby for example put themselves into the chase for a CG bid to break up the stranglehold of old Commonwealth powerhouse nations bidding again and again. Why is it that Toronto's Pan Ams are more important financially than the preceding failed bid from Hamiltion? I admire your hope that a group of countries can work together brings positive results but to draw comparisons between the EU and the Commonwealth games is inaccurate.

That would make the games totally unviable, and probably unfair. I think South Africa would be a good host because they proved they could do it with the World Cup, and the Commonwealth Games would get some good exposure for being the first major multi-sport event to be hosted by an African city. If that hosting pattern happened.... No one is going to spend a dime on these games. If they put some sort of youth soccer(U-21 or U-18) it would become more profitable, and more would want to bid.

2022- Durban. Safe option for them, popularity for rugby and cricket(some at least). Also expands to Africa, a little more publicity. Plus no way UK 8 years after Glasgow, who was 12 years after Manchester.

2026- Adelaide/Auckland/ Most likely Adelaide, but Auckland may price back in.

2030- Cardiff.

2034- Canberra. I can at least see that.

2038- Canada. Maybe Hamilton or Quebec City.

2042- Birmingham.

2046- Port of SPain(Triniadad and Tobago)

Interesting how you can dismiss a UK CGs 8 years after Glasgow, yet can predict Canberra 8 years after your hypothetical Adelaide bid. And Adelaide may well be predicted in the context of the Gold Coast holding the 2018 games :P

As for Durban whilst I am unsure as to your peculiar argument about youth football being part of the CGs I agree that it would be an important and positive step if a SA host city could be found for the CGs.

And by the way, fairness has nothing to do with bidding in any of the major sports festivals. Whether we're talking Olympics, World Cups, Commonwealth Games, Pan Ams, Asiads whatever no one takes a genuinely equitable approach to the process. It's all cui bono...for who's good is it to host the event? If one city or nation can convince the relevant committee that their sport or their event will be better off going to that city because that IOC or FIFA or CGf or whatever will rake in big dollars and win a bigger stake of the global market for their event or sport they will get the nod.

Scotguy I respect your enthusiasm for the CGs but have to say I disagree with you. First off there is little basis for a causal link between the Commonwealth Games and Olympic bid. Look at the history:

I admire your hope that a group of countries can work together brings positive results but to draw comparisons between the EU and the Commonwealth games is inaccurate.

Firstly i said that hosting a commonwealth games gains a city experience in hosting major events which can only help in any olympic bid that they make, i didnt say that hosting a com games gives a city an olympic games

econdly i did not compare the EU with the Commonwealth Games, i compared it to the Commonwealth

Firstly i said that hosting a commonwealth games gains a city experience in hosting major events which can only help in any olympic bid that they make, i didnt say that hosting a com games gives a city an olympic games

econdly i did not compare the EU with the Commonwealth Games, i compared it to the Commonwealth

SG you said...

You might have meant what you have just said as a qualification but it is is abundantly clear you drew a link between Manchester hosting the CGs and London bidding for the SOGs. Unless my understanding of English geography is out of whack Manchester is not London, and London ain't Manchester :P You can't have it both ways; either London's 1934 CGs helped London 2012 (which is patently absurd but the only link there is for London supporting your hypothesis of 'hosting a commonwealth games gains a city experience in hosting major events which can only help in any olympic bid that they make') or you see Manchester's CGs were integral in London's bid for 2012, which is also absurd because London's bid did not use anything developed for or based on Manchester's CGs. London's bid was London's Olympic bid and it had no causal link with Manchester 2002.

And yes, you didn't say that hosting a CGs gives a city an SOGs, and neither did I. I merely pointed out that your original argument of associating the hosting of a CGs leads to a bid is not necessarily a truth, and nor is it relevant to the vast majority of CG hosting cities and SOG bids. And the history is irrefutable.

As for the reference to the Commonwealth and EU, considering this discussion is about the Commonwealth Games as a viable sporting event held under the aegis of the Commonwealth, and the ability of smaller less developed cities to host the CGs, bringing the actual Commonwealth as a loose political grouping of nations into the discussion and then comparing it with the EU is a red herring (which admittedly I took). And whilst I'm no expert on either the state of the EU nor of the Commonwealth as a bloc of nations considering the history of the EU working towards single markets, single constitutions, single currencies, single border controls, single trade standards, single human rights charters and a European parliament whilst the Commonwealth is more fractured than ever before (e.g. issues with Fiji and Zimbabwe, Pakistan Vs India, and the lack of all those unifying trends demonstrated in the EU) it's fair to summise that the Commonwealth does have concerns over its ability to remain cohesive or even provide a solid raison d'etre for its continuance.

I disagree. I have researched my information.

Kuala Lumpur hosted the 1998 Commonwealth games and then:

- lost it's bid for the 2006 Asian Games to Doha

- did not make the short list for the 2008 summer olympic bid

- did not make the short list for the 2010 youth summer olympic bid

This was despite Kuala Lumpur having post 1998, several venues already in place eg. 100,000 seater stadium etc.

Clearly the IOC did not pay too much attention or care about the fact the Kuala Lumpur had hosted a good commonwealth games in 1998.

if South Africa don't get 2020 say if the IOC want more hosting experience then they might bid for 2022 to give them that edge. Delhi has used the games as a catalyst for a potential Olympic Bid.

I don't think South Africa needs more hosting experience or needs to prove itself to the IOC by hosting the Commonwealth games. The successful hosting of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the 2003 Cricket World Cup, the 1995 Rugby World Cup and the IPL in 2009 have given South Africa a good reputation for hosting sporting events.

Also Durban will be hosting the 2011 IOC session (where 2018 Winter Olympic host will be selected). Having the IOC in town can be advantageous as we've seen with Singapore. The 2005 IOC session was held in Singapore, the city was then successful in it's 2010 YOG bid, being selected ahead

The OCA and PASO have closer links with the IOC unlike the CGF. The OCA (olympic council of asia) is made up of 45 national olympic committees. PASO is made up of 42 national olympic committees. So hosting the Pan Am Games or the Asian Games would give a city more of an audience with IOC members. The CGF is not a collection of national olympic committees amalgamated.

I don't think South Africa needs more hosting experience or needs to prove itself to the IOC by hosting the Commonwealth games. The successful hosting of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the 2003 Cricket World Cup, the 1995 Rugby World Cup and the IPL in 2009 have given South Africa a good reputation for hosting sporting events.

Also Durban will be hosting the 2011 IOC session (where 2018 Winter Olympic host will be selected). Having the IOC in town can be advantageous as we've seen with Singapore. The 2005 IOC session was held in Singapore, the city was then successful in it's 2010 YOG bid, being selected ahead

The OCA and PASO have closer links with the IOC unlike the CGF. The OCA (olympic council of asia) is made up of 45 national olympic committees. PASO is made up of 42 national olympic committees. So hosting the Pan Am Games or the Asian Games would give a city more of an audience with IOC members. The CGF is not a collection of national olympic committees amalgamated.

I've expounded on the general trend of IOC Sessions not in the past having a pivotal relationship between hosting one and then mounting a successful bid, however I do agree with you Dan about the importance of the continental Games such as the Asiads and Pan Ams. In their favour is as you point out Dan the relationship between the NOC participation and these games. The CGs have a schizophrenic relationship with the Olympic movement, in that in some countries they are associated with their own national federation (as in Australia, the countries of the UK, and Canada) whilst in others they come under the aegis of the local NOC (as in India and NZ). Considering that there is none of this division for PASO or AOC associated games they are unfettered to help court the IOC via their games. And as Beijing and Rio have found out they can provide good background for a future Olympic bid.

As for South Africa and the CGs, they seem to be a real enigma. Why hasn't there been a push for hosting since they re-emerged into international sporting ranks just before Barcelona? By my reckoning they could have been in with a damned good shot at 2002 and 2006, whilst obviously 2010 was out of the question thanks to the WC. Or for that matter, where was their 2014 bid? Was there a feeling within government and sporting circles that funding and infrastructure for 2010 was a big enough ask plus with Abuja up for the 2014 CGs the need for African solidarity overrode South African egos? Or does SA just not have an interest?

Where's Mo when you need him lol

There was initial interest in the 2014 CWG by Cape Town but they stepped aside and let Abuja have a try. After that there was no real interest. It almost doesn't make sense to go for the CWG which is a big task for South Africa, when we should rather go for the OG, an event considered alongside the FIFA WC.

There was initial interest in the 2014 CWG by Cape Town but they stepped aside and let Abuja have a try. After that there was no real interest. It almost doesn't make sense to go for the CWG which is a big task for South Africa, when we should rather go for the OG, an event considered alongside the FIFA WC.

Mo, when you refer to the CGs being a big task and then put the SOGs up as the preferred target, surely the scale of the Commonwealth Games is less daunting? Would it perhaps be more true that with a significant portion of SA either uninterested in the Commonwealth plus perhaps even antagonistic (lingering attitudes from Afrikaaner sections of society maybe) towards what might be seen as old British imperialism transported into an irrelevant sporting contest, then there is no push for holding such a games?

Whatever the reason an African CGs in say Port Elizabeth, Durban or CT (can't imagine Jo-burg or Bloemfontein wanting it) would be a really interesting kick along for such a moribund movement.

Dare I say, after the CWG after Delhi are probably even less important. Definitely not antagonistic but South Africa is already launching an Olympic bid, so I don't see it going one step back and settling for a CWG.

The WC was a daunting task, and I'm sure the OG are too but if you're going to build so many venues, you might as well go for the bigger one with the real exposure.

Dare I say, after the CWG after Delhi are probably even less important. Definitely not antagonistic but South Africa is already launching an Olympic bid, so I don't see it going one step back and settling for a CWG.

The WC was a daunting task, and I'm sure the OG are too but if you're going to build so many venues, you might as well go for the bigger one with the real exposure.

Mo, think there would be a reassessment if a SOG bid was mounted and didn't succeed?

No reason the country can't host both in the next couple of decades (as the UK and Australia have), though of course from SA's point of view the infrastructure should be built to Olympic standard.

South Africa 2010 delivered spectacularly, says TV chief Ericson

47567-olympic-image1.jpg Holland fans at the World Cup Final at Soccer City / Fotosports.com

KEIR RADNEDGE in Monaco / Sports Features Communications

MONTE CARLO, Oct 12: Broadcasters’ fears about the 2010 World Cup hosting in South Africa proved unfounded – thanks to a great deal of hard work by FIFA, Host Broadcast Services and government authorities.

Niclas Ericson, director of FIFA TV, told a media audience at SPORTELMonaco: “There was a lot of criticism but in the end the critics were wrong about South Africa.”

One of the projects which proved a success was the new International Broadcasting Centre. Ericson said: “The IPC meant a number of challenges because it’s an expensive project. There were some small delays but HBS did an excellent job in terms of design and it turned out to be one of the best IPCs ever.

“It became like a university campus and we were lucky with the weather. This was a bit of a surprise but in the end we realised that this would work very well. South Africa delivered something spectacular.

“Telecommunications was a big worry in the beginning but we worked very hard with the local telecommunications industry and the government and they produced a seamless delivery of all services. We were very happy with the results.”

Production crews

The FIFA TV and HBS project involved not only 64 live matches in 10 venues over 31 days but a full non-match service to rights-holders. Each match demanded between 29 and 32 cameras with seven production crews (from England, Germany and France) while each of the 32 teams at the fuinals had their own individually assigned TV crew for the first time at a World Cup.

All in all, 2,500 personnel from 65 countries were involved and the operation involved the importation of 750 tons of TV equipment. That generated more than 2,000 hours of match footage, 46 hours of non-match footage and 480 features.

Ericson said FIFA would not be ready until later this year to release significant, audited overall viewing figures but a few snippets included 8.5m viewers in Holland for the final, more than half the population; Al-Jazeera claiming 162m viewers; and Germany reporting a largest-ever football figure of 31m for the semi-final against Spain and a largest-ever 90pc market share for the quarter-final against Argentina.

In South Africa the viewing audience of 10.15m for the group game against Uruguay was a domestic record, surpassing figures for the 1995 Rugby World Cup Final, albeit an era in which far fewer homes in South Africa had TV.

In the United States the second round defeat by Ghana generated a 19m audience, surpassing the previous record which had been the second round defeat by Brazil in 1994.

• 6 months later...
Smaller cities have better chance to host flexible Commonwealth Games

(Reuters) - Smaller cities have a better chance of hosting the Commonwealth Games than ever before because of the adaptations that have been made to the bidding process and the non-stringent requirements, Games head Mike Hooper has said.

The bearded Hooper spoke to Reuters after Australia's Gold Coast and their rivals from the Sri Lankan port-city of Hambantota handed over their bid books to the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) to stage the 2018 event.

Should Gold Coast prevail in the two-horse race it would be the fifth time Australia would have hosted the Games, held every four years for more than 70 countries mostly of the former British Empire.

"Lets get real, 71 nations and territories (in the Commonwealth) how many can actually host it?" Hooper told Reuters in an interview after the presentation ceremony in the Malaysia capital.

"To an extent we recognize that and that's why we have built in the flexibility we have and the changes that have occurred... there has been an evolution to have greater flexibility.

"In the old days if you go back in the history (the hosts were) basically the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, UK, Australia, Canada, it would bounce around a bit and not in that order but they were the main hosts," explained the passionate Hooper, gesticulating from his seat.

Last year's Games in New Delhi featured more than 6,000 athletes and over 270 events but Hooper said that wasn't the benchmark for future Games.

CGF rules ask that their 10 core sports -- athletics, badminton, boxing, hockey, lawn bowls, netball, rugby sevens, squash, swimming and weightlifting -- are included, with bid teams given the option of hosting a further seven if they wish.

Although Gold Coast and Hambantota, with populations of around 600,000 people, both plan to stage 17 events they are much smaller cities with smaller venues than previous hosts such as New Delhi, Melbourne and Manchester.

"People have a much better understanding that we are not the Olympic Games, our budgets are nothing like the Olympic Games and clearly we have a lot of flexibility on a sporting mix and we have a lot of flexibility in relation to venue solutions as clearly none of us want white elephants."

Hambantota and Gold Coast will find out who has been successful at the CGF congress in St. Kitts on Nov. 11 but Hooper was already talking about Trinidad and Tobago and Wales showing interest in hosting the 2022 edition.

"To have Trinidad talking about hosting the Games is a big plus and is reflective of the better understanding of the requirements and the fact that there is flexibility," Hooper said.

"That may or may not translate into a bid in the near future but we have Wales talking about 2022, they asked and are seriously considering it, we are not even at that process yet so I think its very healthy environment."

Although Hooper was hopeful that the Games can eventually go to Africa, who has yet to host the event.

"One day we do want to see it in Africa but as a fair and open decision and an open process against whoever is looking to host and to the appropriate standards that are required now.

"South Africa has talked about it in the past... so there is lots of speculation but I do think we will see the Games hosted in Africa one day."

Reuters

Archived