"A Commonwealth title barely registers any respect on a global stage."

Dan_Winters

The commonwealth games is simply past it’s sell-by date. This opinion is echoed by many people around the world, including 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist athlete: Michael Johnson who was quoted as saying: “a Commonwealth title barely registers any respect on a global stage.” That’s coming from a world class athlete – highly credible observation therefore.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/commonwealth-games-2010/news/Delhi-Games-doomed-from-the-start-Johnson/articleshow/6650236.cms

Once upon a time the Commonwealth Games were a significant event eg. it was during the Vancouver 1954 Commonwealth Games that the “Miracle Mile” took place between Roger Bannister and John Landy at Empire Stadium. This was the first time these two (and at that time the only two) sub-four minute mile runners appeared in the same race, and also the first time two runners broke four minutes in the same race.

However – nowadays the CWG really have no significance in the sporting world. Several big names (eg. Usain Bolt, Chris Hoy, Christine Ohurugu etc), olympic champions simply don’t waste their time competing in the CWG.

Commonwealth Gold is simply not worth the metal is scratched on – FACT.

After winning an olympic medal, the next biggest achievement for a sports person is winning a world championship medal in their particular sport – for example for swimmers, it would be at the FINA World Swimming Championships, for athletes it is the IAAF World Athletics Championships etc.

With regards to regional games - the Commonwealth Games are simply in the WORST CONDITION comapred to other games -eg. Pan-American Games, Asian Games etc. These games are in far better shape than the commonwealth games are. For 2018 you have 2 bids: Gold Coast and Hambantota (small town in Sri Lanka, whic is highly unlikely to win, but good luck to them with their rebuilding efforts post tsunami). Gold Coast is poised to win 2018, Australia will be hosting again after 12 years – why? Because NO one wants to host the CWG – fact! There were NO bids from Canada, South Africa, Singapore, New Zealand etc for 2018.

In contrast the Pan American Games were hosted by Rio De Janeiro in 2007 (host of the 2016 Summer olympics), will be hosted by Toronto in 2015 (largest city in Canada). Asian Games has attracted bids from cities like Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai for 2019 and 2023. All the cities mentioned above are “global” cities

(link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Asian_Games)

it might not mean anything to Mr Johnson, but it means everything to the athletes who have worked hard to win a title at a major event, some of whom may never have the chance to win on the Olympic stage.

Saying things like that is arrogant and rude, especially to those athletes who have to work to support themselves in their sport, or live in a small village days from the nearest training facility. That moment on the podium and medal around there neck is worth something

Not everyone has million dollar contracts and the latest sporting technology to help them win

Saying things like that is arrogant and rude, especially to those athletes who have to work to support themselves in their sport, or live in a small village days from the nearest training facility. That moment on the podium and medal around there neck is worth something

But unfortunately when an olympic gold medalist like Michael Johnson makes comments comments like that then, you have to sit up and take notice, because it quite credible in all honesty.

I understand you are a keen supporter of the CWG, as 2014 in Glasgow, and of course you should support these games - fair play. But at the same time, you have to be realistic - Lerone Clark won the 100m sprint at Delhi 2010 in a time of 10.12s - a result which would have not even got him into an olympic or world championships final (at Beijing 2008, Darvis Patton finished LAST (8th place) in the 100m sprint with a quicker time of 10.03s).

Bearing this in mind, you have ask yourself how "world class" the commonwealth games really are. The "Gold" medal that Lerone clark won at Delhi 2010 - what is it really worth on the world stage? Not much according to the above mentioned times/ statistics....

If we're talking about sport and competing in general and athletes having their moment of glory, then i'm sure that winning the egg and spoon race at school sports day was a really great moment for the kid who won it and got his/ her 1st prize.

The 100m is not the only sport in a games, there were a few world records broken in Delhi, do you think that these records should not stand because they were broken in a Commonwealth Games? If a commonwealth title means nothing then surely the record that came with it means nothing aswell

Wow, what is it about the Commonwealth Games being such an inconvenience to some peoples lives - that's how it seems.

Im all for the thought that the Com Games need a shake up in terms of how the are managed, run and the scale of them - I will most definitely put my hand up as one of those people, but to say there isn't a place for them, I dunno.

The Commonwealth Games are just another multi sport event which do deserve to be seen as a lesser achievement as the Olympics and World Champs - but isn't that logical. To be an Olympic Champion and World Champion - shouldn't it be obvious that those are the titles most people would want to have?

As for the argument that the Asian Games have a higher standing, or the PanAms, I am not so sure about that. Sure, each kind of Games will have a few sports that will have ultra hghest competition, and others where the standard isn't that great . The whole Delhi athletics point, well, I can't really imagine athletics is that stunning at the Asian Games - as good as those Malaysian sprinters are.

I actually personally put Com Games up there alongside Asian Games.

I've listened to enough interviews with Commonwealth Games Athletes to know that it most definitely does matter to them .

I should add too, that I don't think it's so black and white to say that there is no interest in the hosting of the Commonwealth Games.

I think it's more a case of the Commonwealth Games becoming out of reach of a number of cities that would actually love to host them, but it just doesn't make financial sense in comparison to the size of the city and nation.

Yes, for the 2006 Games Melbourne was the one last standing, but there was an intense and passionate campaign from Wellington to host them - it just got to a point where it was not feasibly possible.

Likewise 2018, Auckland's bid investigation was supported by many people and got a reasonably positive report back from the feasability study, it was just the Government who put a stop to it, again for the cost it would have been to host it. Despite this though, there were many at both local, central and sports administration who were fully behind the move - even mayors of the Auckland cities pleaded with the sports minister to give the bid another chance

I think the low numbers of bidders really does say more about the argument of how the size of the Coms has got out of hand, rather than absolutely noone even wanting to attempt to put their hand up.

Yeah, i think since Melbourne in 2006 people have expected the games to be big. Melbourne had all their venues and transport infrastructure in place. Delhi wanted to go big because they had the money and also was to be seen as India stepping onto the world hosting stage.

Before Melbourne the Games were always relatively small but enjoyable, i think after Glasgow many cities will see that the Commonwealths can be hosted and we should hopefully go back to the hostings of the past

I also think that if the Labour Party was in government in New Zealand, then they would possibly have gone ahead with a 2018 bid. I still stand by my view that hopefully after the 2011 RWC, that the New Zealand Government may see the benefits of the Games

It all depends on what happens in Glasgow. Nobody wanted the Olympics after Montreal's cost overruns, and Moscow's boycott, but when L.A. made a ton of money in 1984, people started to bid again. So if Glasgow can become profitable and sucuessful, then maybe more cities will want to host, and might be able to turn up the $$$

Archived