Sign in to follow this  
Durban Sandshark

London 2012 Olympic Media Updates

Reminds me of the Georges Pompidou Center in Paris with all the vents famously showing in the exterior. The architect was probrably inspired by it.

Back to the Canadian Sports Media blog regarding the CTV sportscaster updates, he says Rob Faulds will call swimming and diving instead of, as hoped, Shawn Armitage because Armitage is tied to the CBC. Gord Miller, Andy Higgins, Donovan Bailey and/or James Cybulski could be assigned to the Olympic Stadium for track and field. Looks like Cuthbert and McBean will be for rowing. Basketball will certainly be Devlin and Armstrong. He was told that Rod Smith will do track and road cycling. For the most part, these are all guesses. Honestly, why should anybody share with Brian Williams on CTV's Olympic Primetime? TSN/Rogers Sportsnet will have to divide its Olympic Daytime coverage into two sections for most days with one from 2:30am US CT to 5:30pm US CT on TSN and Sportsnet with CTV's share going from 2am to 6pm US CT. Two hosts for an Olympic programming section are just enough.

It's almost a near certainty that the Beeb will employ 3D coverage to the London Olympics after the success it had with Wimbeldon. But, for right now, it is undergoing numerous tests, among a lot of issues, to make sure the coverage for it is right. Furthermore, the BBC has yet to launch a 3D channel and hasn't decided on such. But so much is planned for the HD portion with 28 streams available to UK audiences taking up A LOT of priority for them and will have more numbers for HD than what 3D will get despite the immense growth for the latter next year. I think the BBC 3D channel will happen but with limited coverage to start with.

http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/wbkb/2010-11/releases/20110705-cb

Get you Team GB Olympic podcasts from the BOA here:

olympics.org.uk//podcasts.aspx

Canadiansports analyzes his picks for CTV/TSN/Rogers Sportsnet's London 2010 potential commentating team. I'll put on my (limited) thoughts next week.

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/olympics-on-ctv-potential-commentators/#comments

People in the UK are speculating about the BBC's Olympic 2012 broadcasting team as the host nation and what kinds of role they're suited for with the coverage it make.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1482477

Surely come Monday at the one-year mark, we'll start to know about NBC's plans for London, among other things.

We'll have to see who will be on the RDS London team. I think it should be going at the same time as the English one. OMNI, APTN, ATN will have to possibly wait.

The actual link to the BOA's Olympic podcasts: http://olympics.org.uk/podcasts.aspx

Surely come Monday at the one-year mark, we'll start to know about NBC's plans for London, among other things.

Surely you can't be serious?

NBC usually doesn't reveal most of their plans until a few months before the Olympics. Couple that with the fact that they're still working out the NBCU/Comcast merger (most notably integrating Versus into the NBC Sports group), not to mention the fact they have a new person in charge of NBC as of 2 months ago. It'll probably be a while before we get any concrete details about NBComcast's plans for London, 1 year mark or not.

I also heard from a couple of Brit customers at my retail job that the BBC will have Welsh-language coverage of London 2012. By the way, the BBC will actually broadcast 5800 hours of coverage. I'll delve more into that and others soon.

Interesting if true - to my knoweldge there has never been any Welsh language coverage of the games.

You're right, Durban.. never too early for a London media thread. And since you brought up the NBC logo...

london-logo.jpg

It does kinda look like a police badge (I've heard that mentioned elsewhere), but otherwise I think it works.

So goes against the image London 2012 is trying to create. It's the sort of logo those who moaned about the official logo would have designed.

Nine and FOXTEL took some grief from critics down in Australia from its Vancouver coverage and will no doubt be ready to do likewise when London hits. Sure it still is early for the details--we will get to look at them starting around early next year. Both Nine and FOXTEL would like to avoid the notorious jumping round of coverage like 7 used to do when it held the distinction as "Australia's Olympic Network" up to Beijing with all the bad press accompanying it and raise the standard of broadcasting from what they performed in Vancouver. The Roar has some suggestions as to how to improve:

--make the joint sportscasters on Nine Network/FOXTEL from the respective sports be spot on, educate the viewers as well as themselves on the Olympic rules and the Olympians they are covering

--have all or most Olympics events televised LIVE on free-to-air (Nine in this case), not just selected events

--no Dim Sum-like morning show like in Beijing, probrably can't happen anyway with competition like the big swimming events being in the Australian morning and would like to get those live

--don't be so Australian-centric in medal ceremonies, show them ALL (could eat up some time meant for other sports)

--interview and profile Olympians from other nations, not just Australians (will be hard because the nations' broadcasters get first dibs on them and time constraints)

--keep the Australian bias to a minimum

But wishes like these are more suited for FOXTEL with its array of programming, since Nine Network would like to maintain interest to the general Australian public in their coverage. So it will be Australian in its bias. Nine will cover, consequently, events with great Australian interest because many viewers down there are not quite Olympic junkies, just casual viewers. And will continue to do so. However, I do think Nine will air something like 20-24 hours a day devoted to the Olympics with minimal jumping. With FOXTEL getting involved, there's that option to see events truly from start to finish.

To be fair 7 got similar criticism, but Nine somehow managed to encourage more. Most of them points outlined though are ultimately just not practicle and if they swung more towards them they'd get even more criticism when missing Aussies competing in events to show a medal ceremony featuring some Americans.

The set up in Australia doesn't help either - if it wasn't for FOXTEL picking up rights they would only get the main Channel 9 coverage as ridiculously C9 are not allowed to use their multi-channels to air seperate programming from the games (even more stupid when some coverage is on pay TV). Foxtel of course pledged to show every medal won and every competitng Australian live in Vancouver, but that simply won't be possible with the summer games.

I guess no news yet on the Aussie rights for 2014/16.

...And now, straight from our buddy here on these boards, Canadiansportsfan, the CTV Olympics London 2012 logo! Nice, isn't it? Interestingly, we are not yet seeing this logo at CTV's website, on its press releases, TV promos, or even on its Facebook page. No surprise that it's the same structure like Vancouver's with the maple leaf, only it morphs to the Union Jack, the only commonality to NBC's logo. After all, Britain birthed Canada and are Commonwealth members. He plans to reveal more Olympic coverage and other Olympic-themed thoughts as we get to the one-year mark to London 2012 in July and on to London itself from his blog. Looking forward to read them all! :)

ctv-olympics.png

A bit better than the NBC effort, but still very dated.

The media centre is looking much nicer now it has been finished. Love the ventilation ducts showing outside against the garden foreground. A lovely contrast. This was the building I was most worried about looking dull and boring. Not any more.

p1030401.jpg

110621odamdasb032hi.jpg

110621odamdasb029hi.jpg

Apologies if this has already been posted. I did a search and could not find the original broadcast centre thread anywhere.

Still not the most asthetically pleasing building, but I guess the view out is more important than the view in (though I suspect most broadcasters use CSO). The BBC are rumoured to be opting for a studio on top of a nearby council block instead, whilst Sky (with no broadcast rights) have a position in a shopping centre.

You're right, Durban.. never too early for a London media thread. And since you brought up the NBC logo...

london-logo.jpg

It does kinda look like a police badge (I've heard that mentioned elsewhere), but otherwise I think it works.

How modern, interchangeable and forward thinking London's logo looks against that awfully bland and traditional logo. I am so pleased with how LOCOG has always tried to do things different and push the boundaries. London does not play it safe as a city and everything about it's Olympics should reflect that.

Let's not exactly go praising CTV for designing themselves a great new logo. Here's what they had for 2010...

Ctv-Logo.png

Pretty much EXACTLY what they used for Vancouver, only the bottom section changed to include the colors of the Union Jack and still have the maple leaf on there. Yes' NBC's logo still kinda looks like a police badge, but at least to me that screams London. As opposed to LOCOG's logo which looks like something a 2nd grader could have designed in art class.

It screams lazy to me, not London. And although I know those vids earlier in the thread are designed for advertisers rather than the general public the London portrayed in the American one is very different to the way London portrays itself today.

Brian Williams, CTV Olympic Primetime anchor, visited the Canada AM anchor team and discusses Canada's hopes for London. Don't look for Canada to win a motherload of Summer Olympic medals like it did with the Vancouver Winter Olympics, as Canada is a Winter Olympics power, but he says it will "stand out" in London, likely inspired by the incredible Vancouver success. He adds Dylan Armstrong, Mary Spencer, and Paulina Findlay could be the Canadian standouts for London. Unfortunately, no news regarding the coverage for Canadians yet. But Canada AM gets involved with Olympic equestrian dressage, canoeing/kayaking, and an interview with LOCOG boss Sebastian Coe at the one-year mark this week.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110725/2012-london-summer-olympic-lookahead-110725/20110725/?hub=EdmontonHome

www.channelcanada.com/Article5908.html

This is a good time to start speculating about in depth the commentating teams for all the various networks around the world that hosts the Olympic broadcast rights. We are dealing with Canada and Britain, but other nations' are just as worthy to deal with. So this is open to them as well.

I'll get my thoughts on what was just mentioned here on this thread soon regarding the coverage. Right now, I don't have the time to do so.

London 2012 Olympics schedule and BBC website coverage

Start to schedule how you'll watch the London 2012 Olympic Games online, using our guide to what you can see on the BBC website.

Link

Interesting article about foreign press perceptions of london 2012. why are the french still so bitter? the russian aren't interested etc!

Standard

Very interesting article on the global sports press coming to cover London!

When Brian Williams came to Canada AM yesterday, the coverage details weren't yet unveiled. That was for later and very soon. We do know at that point the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium will air a combined 5000+ hours and, that Brian Williams, Catriona Le May Doan, Gord Miller, Rod Black, Claude Mailhot, Bruny Surin, Chantal Machabee, Darren Dutchyshyn, Michel Y. Lacroix, Rod Smith, Rob Faulds, Kyle Shewfelt, and Joanne Malar will be expected to appear. Get ready because it was just announced this morning on the first stage of its coverage plans. Because it is so massive, other bits and pieces will arrive later. What surprised a bit was Big Air (Jean-Luc Brassard) returns for this. Alex Bilodeau gets a plum job as a reward for being Canada's first home-soil gold medalist. All those hugely popular programs like "Superbodies", and "Rick Hansen's Difference Makers" all return for London. Still no official breakdown of the TV hours among the networks yet.

http://ctvmedia.ca/olympics/releases/release.asp?id=14038&yyyy=2011

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/07/26/2012-olympic-games-coverage-features-an-all-star-cast/

United States Olympic Committee has several media plans of its own for the London one-year countdown with some help from Universal Sports.

http://boxscorenews.com/us-olympic-committee-commemorates-one-year-countdown-to-opening-ceremony-p23466-68.htm

BBC WILL indeed cover every Olympic sport but with events like tennis, wrestling, taekwondo, and judo, where matches go on simultaneously in multiple areas, there will be some limits to the 5000+ hours coverage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/26/bbc-to-cover-every-sport-london-2012-games

Foxtel announce their plans - 8 HD channels.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/07/foxtel-to-screen-2012-olympics-on-8-hd-channels.html

I don't know though if they could achieve their ambition of showing "every Aussie medal" and "all sports and matches featuring Australian teams" with just 8 channels. It was achieveable for Vancouver with just 4 - but the Winter Olympics is much smaller and the Aussie participation very limited. The summer games will most days have around a dozen sports going on, and I can't see Foxtel airing an entire day of shooting on the off chance an Aussie is the winner at the end of it.

Local news regarding a high school student from my neck of the woods wins an NBC Olympics broadcasting intern job in London.

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journals/illinois/education/article_65bc694a-a68c-50af-8583-31104468fb5e.html

Now it's official: Versus (formerly OLN, not to be confused with the Canadian OLN version) becomes NBC Sports Network on January 2. Look for some VERY ample Olympic sports coverage on NBC Sports Network during London, seemingly almost round the clock.

http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/nbc-renames-versus-nbc-sports-network/229038/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2011-07-31-versus-nbc-sports-network_n.htm

Another student, not from my region, wins his own internship chance

http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=437423

Jennifer Abel, Emilie Heymans, Priscilla Lopes-Schliep all attended a Blue Jays home game as part of the CTV Olympic Night at the Ballpark

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150267821529530.346321.91619529529

Now it's official: Versus (formerly OLN, not to be confused with the Canadian OLN version) becomes NBC Sports Network on January 2. Look for some VERY ample Olympic sports coverage on NBC Sports Network during London, seemingly almost round the clock.

http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/nbc-renames-versus-nbc-sports-network/229038/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2011-07-31-versus-nbc-sports-network_n.htm

It won't be around the clock unless you factor in replays and even then, they won't go up against NBC primetime. My best guess is that they'll come on the air around 4am or 5am ET, stay on until 8pm ET or whenever NBC comes on air with the primetime show. Maybe they have some sort of wrap-up show at Midnight ET to bridge the gap when NBC goes to local news. Not sure how they'd handle that 2am-4am block when there's no competition going on if NBC wants to claims 24-hours-a-day coverage again. I figure we'll probably see around 220 hours of coverage on NBC Sports Network. Remember, their cable penetration is still lower than that of CNBC, MSNBC, and USA, so the folks at Comcast/NBC have to balance the needs of building up their sports network to what's going to have the widest possible audience less the viewers start howling (moreso than they already do) and Comcast catching more flak for supposed dirty tricks.

A whole slew of new developments coming in from Britain and Eurosport involving their broadcast plans for London in the last few days. Firstly, the BBC officially announced just now that it will definitely conduct live 3D TV London Olympic 2012 coverage with plans for at least 10 venues using 3D cameras. The opening and closing ceremonies and the men's and women's 100m sprints are definites for 3D archival footage. Easily, the ten venues, IMO, are for track and field, soccer, tennis, gymnastics, swimming, basketball, rowing, handball, volleyball, and beach volleyball. Only 40 3D TV channels exists around the world, including those from the BBC, Nine Network, Sky Deutschland 3D, Orange 3D in France, and Sky Italia. Orange 3D TV is currently discussing with free-to-air France Television with the hope to secure some 3D coverage for the French market, though in that case with the rise of 3DTV worldwide, it shouldn't be an issue. You can best be sure almost all the others will offer some content. As it was for HDTV for the past eight years, global sales of HDTV, smart TVs, and 3DTV, though more marginal in the latter, will spike in worldwide sales in the weeks leading up to the Olympics. Demand for 3D content in the mainstream is slow and will continue to be for quite some time.

Secondly, the BBC also announced every mile of the 70-day nationwide Olympic torch relay live is going to be shown. Apparently, the Beeb took some inspiration and cues from the Canadian Olympic Host Broadcast Media Consortium in how that dealt with the Olympic Torch relay going across Canada up to Vancouver. Surely, the first day of the flame in Britain on May 19 will be televised on BBC (likely BBC One). But all of it will be hitting online with a specific stream for it perhaps. One thing I'm curious about is will the BBC devote the last day of the torch relay in London, through its streets, leading up to its arrival at Olympic Stadium in the Opening Ceremony with numerous TV hours of coverage like CTV did? Also, BBC announced an Olympic staff of 750 people for their hometown games, a full 100 less than for the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton but more than the 437 sent to Beijing. The Cultural Olympiad will also be broadcast with replicating the same style of coverage on London 2012 as it did with the aforementioned Royal Wedding with all the integration of the BBC's news, sports, and other departments.

Considering the fact that Britain has a significant South Asian (or Anglo-Asian or Asian, if you prefer the British context) population, I think it's a shame that there apparently won't be any Hindi BBC Radio coverage of the London 2012 Olympics now that the British government cut the BBC World Service. I don't think a lot of them will be happy with that. Hopefully, that will change soon.

More issues lie in the amount of staff the BBC provided caused an overkill in terms of the "One Year To Go" coverage, which even used freelancers, that dwarfed all the other main British media rivals. BBC's sports department moved to Salford.

London Mayor Boris Johnson is quite a character. Visualize him with the Olympic flag in Beijing at the handover. Maybe he should get his own show leading up to the London Olympics and his involvement; he was so bombastic and made things more interesting at the Aquatics Centre opening and his rambling Trafalgar Square speech during the One Year Countdown. Part of the problem is, London's mayoral election comes immediately just BEFORE the London Olympics beings. These Games needs Boris!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/robin-scottelliot-bbc-coverage-needed-boris-bombing-into-the-olympic-pool-2329610.html

Easily, an advertiser's dream gimmick for these Olympics. The Clash's classic "London Calling" is being used in ads for upcoming London 2012 Olympics, so it's not unexpected it is. Apparently, someone in the band's management okayed this with no punk indignation whatsoever. Never mind the fact the song itself is a dark commentary about an apocalyptic nuclear vision engulfing London that is not really tourist-friendly .

http://www.ology.com/music/clash%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Clondon-calling%E2%80%9D-olympic-anthem

One of the nice things about Eurosport's Olympic coverage since 1992 is the fact that, since it's across Europe, there is no need to take a national angle like so many national broadcasters (BBC, ARD/ZDF, France Televisions, SVT, RTE, ERT, NRK) and focus on its athletes to gather national attention. For example, if it was to stick with an event with Europeans involved or act unbiased, it can whether or not the athletes have any medal potential wall-to-wall. Eurosport does have high hopes in its upcoming London coverage with increased viewership, especially with favorable timezones. The British Eurosport has a massive following since the advent of HDTV, so fans there can turn to it along with or instead of the BBC. Yes, Eurosport's coverage, like with its broadcasters, is regionalized to fit its Euro-diversity. As it was in Vancouver, Eurosport plans to have round-the-clock coverage with 10+ hours live with three news and magazine shows to round out the high-quality and in-depth analysis the sports network is known for.

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=37488

From the Canadian Sports Media Blog. Here's his thoughts on the first info from CTV:

CTV released its first round of Olympic commentators for the 2012 London Games on Tuesday. Overall, I am impressed by the commentators; less so by many of the studio hosts. TSN obviously wanted to hold Cuthbert back to call CFL games, or maybe Cuthbert wanted to stay back. Taking that into account, I think CTV made the right choices for all of their play-by-play announcers. Gord Miller has experience on athletics, let’s just hope his voice doesn’t crack if (when?) Bolt sets a World Record in the men’s 100 metres. He can’t be worst than Mark Lee though. Faulds usually does best on “race” sports, so he should be more than fine on rowing. Smith is TSN’s Steve Armitage (I mean I swear, they sound almost identical), so he is a perfect fit for swimming and diving. Rod Black will do gymnastics. He does good on slow(er) paced sports, like figure skating, so he is a good choice.

Among analysts, CTV’s choices mostly line up with my predictions from a week ago. These include Blythe Hartley (diving), Kyle Shewfelt (gymnastics) and Barney Williams (rowing). I kind of had a feeling Larry Cain might be their choice for canoe/kayak. Dave Moorcroft and Michael Smith were excellent for CBC in 2008, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them on CTV’s list. I do hope Donovan Bailey is involved in some way though, maybe as a studio analyst like Marnie McBean.

CTV’s studio hosts range from the best ever (Brian Williams), to a pairing with lots of potential (James Duthie and Jennifer Hedger) to the odd pairing of Dave Randorf and Catriona Le May Doan. Sportsnet has dumped co-hosting as Don Taylor, Brad Fay and Darren Millard will go at it solo. Fay in Primetime seems odd, as he is the lesser known of Sportsnet’s three hosts. TSN’s hosts seem weak, with Michael Landsberg, Darren Dutchyshen and the pairing of Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole. I don’t like use of SportsCentre and Connected hosts to be honest, especially when the likes of Gino Reda and Dan Matheson, who have lots of Olympic hosting experience, will be left home. If I was CTV I would have replaced Randorf with Matheson; moving Randorf to TSN Primetime. Then I would have put Gino Reda on TSN Afternoon. Then I would have put Landsberg on TSN Morning.

No real surprises at RDS, but it looks like many RDS commentators may be left in Canada calling events off monitor from Montreal. The athletics commentary team with Pierre Houde, Richard Garneau, Bruny Surin and Jean-Paul Baert looks very strong. In fact, I might watch some of the bigger races on RDS because Houde is one of Canada’s strongest playcallers.

It won't be around the clock unless you factor in replays and even then, they won't go up against NBC primetime. My best guess is that they'll come on the air around 4am or 5am ET, stay on until 8pm ET or whenever NBC comes on air with the primetime show. Maybe they have some sort of wrap-up show at Midnight ET to bridge the gap when NBC goes to local news. Not sure how they'd handle that 2am-4am block when there's no competition going on if NBC wants to claims 24-hours-a-day coverage again. I figure we'll probably see around 220 hours of coverage on NBC Sports Network. Remember, their cable penetration is still lower than that of CNBC, MSNBC, and USA, so the folks at Comcast/NBC have to balance the needs of building up their sports network to what's going to have the widest possible audience less the viewers start howling (more so than they already do) and Comcast catching more flak for supposed dirty tricks.

Once again, I forgot about that primetime aspect, something I don't do, funnily enough, with the Canadian portion. Could they do replays in their footage? Sure, if it wants. I can see them replaying at least both ceremonies. It's all preliminary right now. But I agree NBC Sports Network will perhaps air around 220 hours. The kind of coverage it does is very key in terms of balancing the two aspects of gaining the widest possible audience and building their sports network as a brand. In other words, don't look for it to emulate the kind of coverage that Bravo did for Athens 2004. However, I presume it will conduct a significant amount of that balanced with the more mainstream and popular Olympic sports (to Americans) with more extensive swimming and track heats and field event rounds.

Once again, I forgot about that primetime aspect, something I don't do, funnily enough, with the Canadian portion. Could they do replays in their footage? Sure, if it wants. I can see them replaying at least both ceremonies. It's all preliminary right now. But I agree NBC Sports Network will perhaps air around 220 hours. The kind of coverage it does is very key in terms of balancing the two aspects of gaining the widest possible audience and building their sports network as a brand. In other words, don't look for it to emulate the kind of coverage that Bravo did for Athens 2004. However, I presume it will conduct a significant amount of that balanced with the more mainstream and popular Olympic sports (to Americans) with more extensive swimming and track heats and field event rounds.

NBCSN won't get any of the ceremonies, those will be NBC overnight re-airs. And be careful when you use the word 'replay.' When big NBC re-airs their primetime coverage, that's a replay. NBC Sports Network or whoever else airing coverage at Midnight with taped footage is not a replay.

I think NBCSN will likely take over the old MSNBC old role. Which means long-form coverage throughout the day from morning until primetime of the most compelling event going on. Then the other networks can be a little more structured with team sports like soccer and basketball plus things like boxing which normally get full coverage anyway.

One of the nice things about Eurosport's Olympic coverage since 1992 is the fact that, since it's across Europe, there is no need to take a national angle like so many national broadcasters (BBC, ARD/ZDF, France Televisions, SVT, RTE, ERT, NRK) and focus on its athletes to gather national attention. For example, if it was to stick with an event with Europeans involved or act unbiased, it can whether or not the athletes have any medal potential wall-to-wall. Eurosport does have high hopes in its upcoming London coverage with increased viewership, especially with favorable timezones. The British Eurosport has a massive following since the advent of HDTV, so fans there can turn to it along with or instead of the BBC. Yes, Eurosport's coverage, like with its broadcasters, is regionalized to fit its Euro-diversity. As it was in Vancouver, Eurosport plans to have round-the-clock coverage with 10+ hours live with three news and magazine shows to round out the high-quality and in-depth analysis the sports network is known for.

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=37488

Any news yet on how the new European deals (not done through the EBU) will affect Eurosport.

The BBC was VERY impressed by the University of Portsmouth film students quality of work that it decided to bring aboard twice as many students, 18 instead of the original 9, to be a part of the Big Screens for the Olympic and Paralympics.

www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Hampshire/Portsmouth/PO6/News/Local-News/203050-BBC-Recruits-Portsmouth-Students-for-Big-Screen-Olympic-Games-Coverage

An "Olympic Grandstand" style programme on the BBC in a couple of weeks covering the test events:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2011/wk34/sun.shtml

Olympic Countdown

Sunday 21 August

1.00-5.30pm BBC TWO

www.bbc.co.uk/sport

With the London Olympics now just 341 days away, Clare Balding looks at how London is preparing for the Games, asking whether Britain will hit its target of fourth place on the medal table and finding out who the stars to look out for next year are.

Today, the form of some of Britain's top medal hopefuls goes under the microscope at test events at next year's venues and World Championships abroad. This time next year their Olympic dreams and destinies will have been decided but, for now, it is all about rehearsing for that big day.

The programme features the beach volleyball which takes place at Horse Guards Parade, the road cycling test event on the Olympic course, the BMX supercross World Cup event in the Olympic Park, canoeing from Szeged, Hungary, and the World Championship triathlon from Lausanne, Switzerland.

Today's timetable is as follows:

1.05pm Beach volleyball

1.55pm Road race cycling

2.15pm BMX highlights

3.00pm World canoeing

4.05pm World triathlon

Sign in to follow this